Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Static News

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the DC panel at c2e2 said something "might be happening with Static relatively soon". This gets me kind of excited, let's hope something does happen. Anybody got any ideas of what that might be?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#2  Edited By Black_Claw

Joining the teen titans. It also could be moving him back to Dakota (PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!).

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They said he won't be joining the Teen Titans anytime soon. Forgot to add that.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn. Well I at least hope they move him back to Dakota.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

would you really want him there with Lobdell?

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Joining the teen titans. It also could be moving him back to Dakota (PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!).

That same C2E2 panel said that he will not be joining the Titans any time soon. But yea, hopefully he's redeemed from that god awful book DC put out.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good, I don't want Static with the Teen Titans. At least not this roster.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

What ever happened to that Blue Beetle/Raven team?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw said:

Wait did they say anything about Lobdell being involved with something Static related?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@black_claw said:

Wait did they say anything about Lobdell being involved with something Static related?

no, but he's on Teen Titans right? would you really want him there with the character rapist

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind I agree the only thing I can see happening with him on Teen Titans with the current team is being basically a glorified extra

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@black_claw said:

no, but he's on Teen Titans right? would you really want him there with the character rapist

You do have a point there....

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any news or updates about Static at Comic Con?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Black_Claw

Any news or updates about Static at Comic Con?

There was a milestone panel but unfortunately nobody bothered to cover it or even record it -_-

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anybody heard anything about the web series since the announcement? I haven't heard anything except that the development was moving fast from one of the producers but that was almost 2 months ago. You would think that since it was such a big announcement they would be trying to create at least a little buzz by releasing things like casting news or plot details or something to get people excited. I hope they don't wait until they're right on the release date to release information. That is a surefire way to miss out on more casual fans.

prynce23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By prynce23

I haven't heard anything on the web series, but I did read that The Flash series on CW is doing casting call for 3 heroes, and one of those heroes is titled "mystery hero". The description of the "mystery hero" is likely to be relative to Static, since it's a "a regular street smart African-American male who unexpectedly gains powers", and quips about the insanity of the situations." I think the description matches Static in terms of quips, and street smarts. Also the character is believed to be in his early twenties too.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlackWind

I prefer Static to begin in his teens. But whatever.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
    StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@statfan201: Heh, another Big Static FAn! I'm glad to meet one

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.cbr.com/milestone-dc-comics-earth-m/

So what do you all think about the upcoming Static reboot, Static Shock by Kyle Baker? I'm speaking mostly on the news that it's supposed to be a full-on reboot. Reading about it as well as looking at some recent concept art, there seems to be some changes. Namely, Virgil is fourteen when he gets his powers instead of fifteen like he is in the original run, he wears glasses and Static's logo looks to be closer to the New52 version rather than that of the animated show and later comics. Someone even suggested that the Big Bang might not be responsible for him getting his powers.

Me personally, I'll have to wait until the book comes out to give a full critique, but some of these kind of rub me the wrong way.

1.The age change I can understand because he was supposed to be a freshman in the original run but he was fifteen already. Unless he was born to late in the year which would have made him older than most of his classmates but okay.

2.Virgil wearing glasses, I guess I'll have to get used to, but I'm not really feeling that change. To me it looks a little bit too "on the nose" to point out the fact that he's a geek or a nerd.

3. The Static logo is another change I'm not really feeling. I much prefer the original official logo from the show and Rebirth of the Cool. New52 was travesty with the exception of the expansion of Static's abilities like the healing factor and ability to see wavelength. I prefer not to have to pick up a book and be reminded of the costume they saddled him with.

4. Now I don't know if they're going to go through with the whole no Big Bang thing. But if they do I think it would be a mistake. The Big Bang is a big part of his origin. I could be wrong here, but I think the point of it is to show that Virgil is a hero in that he uses his powers in a positive way in contrast to all of the villains the Big Bang created. To take that away and just simply make him a natural meta-human origin, or give him a generic 'lab exploded" origin, or even worse a "his powers are due to technology origin" would simply be a little too much for me. Especially the latter origin.

With that being said, I'm excited for more Static and that it's going to be overseen by Milestone. They know the character very well so here's to hoping that they're able to capture enough of the magic of the original run so the book is a success.

But anyway, what do you all think so far? Any thoughts on what we know or any of these four things I listed? Or any concerns of your own that I may have missed?

Oh, almost forgot. I really hope they call him just Static because that's his name instead of Static Shock. Sorry pet-peeve.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

@statfan201:

So he's not gonna be in the DC universe?

Not in Prime Universe.

Well i guess no team up for Black Lightning and Static. :(

Thats so weird. DC is so ass backwards with Static. His own TV show proved that he fits in PERFECTLY with the other DC heros. He's basically their own Spider-Man.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats so weird. DC is so ass backwards with Static. His own TV show proved that he fits in PERFECTLY with the other DC heros. He's basically their own Spider-Man.

True.

But DC is known for not having good relationship with Milestone. So you can see a certain BIAS pattern here.

Also look at what they did with Wildstorm characters in N52, Majestic was butchered utterly and completely and etc.....

And guess what they did with Wildstorm characters? Same as with Milestone, just another universe for them.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

True.

But DC is known for not having good relationship with Milestone. So you can see a certain BIAS pattern here.

Also look at what they did with Wildstorm characters in N52, Majestic was butchered utterly and completely and etc.....

And guess what they did with Wildstorm characters? Same as with Milestone, just another universe for them.

If thats the case then why did they bother buying Milestone or Wildstorm?? Not trying to sound bias but I feel Static would've been MUCH better off in Marvel. He would've been like Miles Morales and i don't even like Miles.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first:

If thats the case then why did they bother buying Milestone or Wildstorm??

Dunno honestly, they might have probably felt that there could be a competition as comic company thus lessening the amount of money DC gets, but that's just my logic speaking.

Not trying to sound bias but I feel Static would've been MUCH better off in Marvel.

You are right actually.

DC has enough teen heroes, and also lots of electrokinetics like Black Lightning, Marvel has few good teen heroes and not enough decent hero electrokinetics, plus Static's comic tone fits in Marvel's style, in short it would have been truly better if he was in Marvel, might as well have gotten Thor/Static, or even better Magneto/Static team up, with Mags teaching what being master of electromagnetic forces truly means.

He would've been like Miles Morales and i don't even like Miles.

True.

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/03/21/ricanstruction-anthology-to-feature-an-icon-static-shock-story-f/

This has me a little excited. As you can see, the Milestone guys appear to have gone with a costume that looks closer to his original comic look mixed with his second look from the show. I'm glad they ditched that new52 look, it was irritating not to mention unnecessary. The only thing I liked about the new52 is the expansion of his powers like the healing factor and ability to see into the electromagnetic spectrum.

Anyway, here's to hoping we get the Static we all love and deserve. The fact that one of the co-creators Denys Cowan is going to be part of the creative process gives me some level of confidence for this and the new title coming out later this year.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.