Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Static in Teen Titans #6

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BatteredArmor
    No Caption Provided

"In the aftermath of their battle with Superboy, the Teen Titans make a horrifying discovery: Kid Flash has been knocked out of synch! If they are going to save their teammate, the badly beaten and battered teens need to sneak into the New York branch of S.T.A.R. Labs – which means that this issue guest-stars none other than Virgil Hawkins, a.k.a. Static! But if the team was hoping to use the lab for some downtime, they are going to be disappointed, because now they must battle a new, young team of supervillains known only as 2.0! All this and the debut of Kid Flash’s new costume!"

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

My Theory

By now this isn't very big news the synopsis for the sixth issue of Teen Titans has been up for a week or so now I was just wondering if you guys thought it might go somewhere. It is true that Lobdell has denied any intrest in including 3 heros in his series anytime soon those 3 would be Blue Beetle, Miss Martian (to be fair he has shown intrest in eventually including her he just said he has no plans to anytime soon), and Static. When Lobdell answerd Viner questions when asked about Beetle and Static he pretty much point blank turned down the idea with little explanation. However Lobdell has claimed there will be a suprise 8th Titan a male who has some previous encounter with Tim Drake. look at the facts both in and off story about Static and all signs point to him. First he's a guy, Second #6's synopsis claims that Bart Allen will become injured and Tim and the Titans take him too Star Labs the cover details Static apparently medically helping Bart this could possibly imply that Tim took Bart speciffically to Virgil meaning that Tim would have pre existing encounters with Static and thus fill the only other criteria. I mean look at the facts Tim has always been a smart cookie but Lobdells version of him has an impressive mental feat every 3 pages or so, if Lobdell kept him in charecter he wouldn't take an injured friend to a random super doctor not when N.O.W.H.E.R.E has their claws in everything undoubtadly including a secret Star Labs agent or two. no way Batman's former sidekick who has an impressive info web of his own doesn't have allies at Star and out of all of his contacts he picks Virgil Hawkens a kid who, if you read the first couple of issues of static, everyone believes is a delinquent and wouldn't trust such an important job to, but low and behold Tim trust him with his team. Off panel though in the world of buisness Static is a charecter Dc wants to keep in play for a while and as much as I hate it his book is tanking and for good reason, also note that Lobdell delibertly leaked the existence of the 8th member after the initial month of the New 52 after Dc recieved feedback this suggest that the 8th member wasn't origionally intended. my theory is that out of fear of statics title failing Dc forced Lobdell to include him. Now notice that unlike every other new charecter Lobdell was open about who they are only withholding info on preexisitng charecter Solctice who looked diffrent enough to hide who she was this policy strongly implies that not only is the 8th a pre exisitnig charecter but one who is instantly recognizable. look at Lobdell's other series months before he debuts who Crux was was easily accesible info before issue one hit shelves and Lobdell held out Ravagers involvement with Superboy almost until the day of release. Well thats my Static Shock will join the titans theory what do you think?

EDIT: I'm kinda right, he is joining the team and I guessed some other stuff correctly too.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Afro_Warrior

Interesting theory and it makes sense within the context of the book. However i think Static's appearance is just a one of guest starring role (although i hope i'm wrong). Your right in that his series hasn't exactly been covering itself in glory, but the 8th member was mentioned in September, meaning he was always going to be apart of the series.

http://www.comicvine.com/news/scott-lobdell-answers-more-questions-about-dcs-the-new-52/143573/

Since his appearance in #2 i've assumed that the 8th Titans member would be Danny the Street from Doom Patrol. He's supposed to be in the cell next to Bart in #2 and he appears in #3

Unless Lobdell has pulled one over us, and doesn't count Danny as a person and sees him more as a living headquarters. Now that i think about it i'd be fine with that, if it meant we got to see Static in the Titans.

Make it happen Lobdell!!

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By the_tree

Hope he joins.

Static, Blue Beetle, and Aqualad are characters I would love to see on the team!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Afro_Warrior: Thanks for the info on Danny the Street, that certinally is a strange power he has but teleportation is always cool so thats good, I still hope static joins but I hope Danny is cool if i happen to be wrong I haven't read much doom patrol but with all the people asking for the books return non of the members could be to bad i guess

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @The_Tree said:

Hope he joins.

Static, Blue Beetle, and Aqualad are characters I would love to see on the team!

Specially Aqualad. We've pretty much got the Young  Justice version of Superboy in the DCnU so where's Aqualad?
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@PrinceIMC: No specifics but his returns been confirmed he was supposed to be inserted into TT by number 1 and make the group of 4 main teen heroes 5 but they blocked Lobdell from using him in order to put him in another book. my source is one of Lobdell's question answering thread I don't know which one but it's there

RichyRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RichyRich

I either want Static on Teen Titans, or a new artist on his book. The art in it now is awful. Id rather look at Humberto Ramos's artwork over McDaniels. I dropped it after issue 2

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@BlackArmor:

I'm gonna bump this now that we've got some new info.

With the cancellation of Static's title it looks like Static will now be joining the Titans. They haven't said what issue he officially joins the team in but i assume it'll be after the Culling event. Can't wait for this, if i'm honest. Enjoyed his portrayal in #6 and i'm liking the super-genius role. He should fit in well with the rest of the team.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=10933

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Afro_Warrior:

That's some cool info, can't wait for him to join up

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BatteredArmor

It's hilarious that Lobdell wasn't informed that he had to put Static into the title

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.