Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

Static In New York For Revamp. Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Static will be in New York instead of Dakota for the DC Revamp, what are your thoughts on this? Personally, I like this. 

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BatteredArmor

I dont like i mean it seems like half of all super heros come from New York it takes a lot of indivisuality and necessity from the charecter not oly that but he was supposed to be shaped by dakota and new york and dakota have diffrent feels it could completely change his personality if its chaped in new york instead of dakota. and does dakota have any other heros theyll be completely defensless

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By iLLituracy

I think it's lame.

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Nighthunter
    @BlackArmor said:
    I dont like i mean it seems like half of all super heros come from New York it takes a lot of indivisuality and necessity from the charecter not oly that but he was supposed to be shaped by dakota and new york and dakota have diffrent feels it could completely change his personality if its chaped in new york instead of dakota. and does dakota have any other heros theyll be completely defensless
    That's marvel. With Nightwing moving back to Gotham the big apple of the DCU don't have a current protector. And as absurd as it may sound, new york sells better than dakot
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor
    @Nighthunter
    My mistake   
    but i still think it destroys a large part of who the charecter is
    Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GundamHeavyarms
    @BlackArmor: Well think of it this way, the late great Dwayne McDuffie modeled Static after Spider-Man.  So putting him in New York instead of Dakota would serve to enhance that feel.  Besides, now that the JSA is being benched, NY needs more heroes so perhaps we'll see more Milestone characters in static's book.  Now would be the perfect time to put them there.
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor
    @GundamHeavyarms
    yeah I heard that more Milestone charachters would be in his book has anyone heard anything about Icon?
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedK
    @Adnan: seems he's becoming more like spider-man if he's using his internship as a way of adding to his superhero activitys the same way spidey has with horizon labs
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By difficlus
    @RedK said:
    @Adnan: seems he's becoming more like spider-man if he's using his internship as a way of adding to his superhero activitys the same way spidey has with horizon labs
    this is what i'm getting from this change too. I think this will be interesting. Definitely want to see him as a spider-man like figure for DC.
    Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Static Shock
    @BlackArmor said:
    There are other heroes from Dakota, and DiDio has already stated that they could be making appearances in Static's ongoing. They are probably going to retcon Dakota out of the DC Universe. Being in New York isn't a problem.... 

@Adnan said:
    In a way, they're sorta bastardizing McDuffie's character. 
    Well, McDuffie's dead. 
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Nighthunter

The writer is also one of Mcduffie's best friends so people shouldn't be afraid of bastardization for Static

ColdSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ColdSoup

It definitely could be good depending on how its done and I don't think static will be ruined as much as some people think.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Osiris1428

I hope they do something great with him. I'm picking this one up from ish #1

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Static Shock
    @Nighthunter said:
    The writer is also one of Mcduffie's best friends so people shouldn't be afraid of bastardization for Static
    I think he was employed under McDuffie as well. So, it shouldn't be so bad. Better him than anyone else.
    Silver Zeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Silver Zeal

We dont mind d whole reboot thingy...wat really is getting us supa-pissed is dat hideously horrific re-design.

Superman, supergal, batman, Blue beetle all kept d basix of their previous luk....y didnt dey do d same 4 Static.

Static costume from d TT & tv show is d best & koolest & most recognizable.

We'll try & get dis buk but dat re-design is a HUUUUUUGE deterrant on our part yet we LUUUUUUVVVVV Static a very very gr8 deal.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Samimista

I think it's unfaithful to the character considering Dakota is where Virgil's roots are.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock
    @Samimista said:
    I think it's unfaithful to the character considering Dakota is where Virgil's roots are.
    Looks like his roots will be changing to that of the Big Apple. DC is severely lacking in heroes from New York.
    atom895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By atom895
    i actually like the idea of static as protector of new york seeing as new york is devoid of attention in the dc universe.he was my favorite superhero as a kid.
    Avatar image for u_r_sofa_king_we_todd_did
    U R Sofa King We Todd Did

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wudda picked Chicago personally or maybe Baltimore or Detroit but I guess New York isn't necessarily bad just, its been done to death. You could possibly look at it as a type of right of passage but to me it only comes off as sending him to the absolute most expected place, depending on the writers it could add something because he is out of his element but i cant help but shake this horrible feeling of impending doom for the title.  

P.S. Spider-man, to me, always has and always will be New York's superhero regardless of title

OrpheusTelos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OrpheusTelos

I'm fine with it. A lot of the changes were Drastic, but then again it's kind of Understandable since they're making Static into a "DC Character." From the looks of it, the new series is going to focus more on the Super Heroics than the social commentary, which I don't have a real problem with. As long as Virgil remains true to his character the location and costume change don't bother me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.