Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

My problems with Virgil in Young Justice

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StatFan201

Even though I like the fact that Virgil was in Young Justice, if only relatively briefly, there are a few problems that I had with the way he was handled. The first problem I had was his personality. Now, I know this is a different universe but they could have at least made him a little smarter than what he was portrayed as. The second problem I have is that they essentially made him a weakling as far as battle capabilities. The only attack that he did throughout his time on the series that worked was when he used his disk to hit some drones in "The Hunt". Which leads me to my next point. His capabilities did not grow much, if at all, from his first episode to the finale. The only thing that he seemed to improve on was his flight speed, they could have at least had him take out some of those drones in the finale. It's like they had him not even trying to learn new things about his powers. As a matter of fact If I recall correctly he only actually shot lightning one time and it completely failed. The over dependency on the disk kind of annoyed me as well.

Anybody care to add to this, or bring up different points?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

Well he didn't really get enough time to develop as a character. His powers were just emerging so I get him being a bit on the weaker side for the time but maybe if the show had continued he'd have become the guy we all know he can be. Of course he may have had a bit more time to develop if they hadn't turned season 2 into the Blue Beetle show.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Veshark

He was a supporting character; so naturally they couldn't provide him with as much attention as the main cast. Honestly S2 suffered from this as a whole; with too many characters to be juggled and not enough characterizations for most beyond generic personalities (see: Batgirl, Bumblebee, Mal, Beast Boy, Tim Drake, Wonder Girl etc.)

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlackWind

@StatFan201: On the point of his intelligence. He was the one to trick the Reach soldiers when the Runaways infiltrated War World, setting up the sneak attack. Also, it was rather clear Virgil was the leader of the team. Also, they have otherr brains on the show, no point in showcasing him over others who were there first.

On the point of power level. C'mon, he has had his powers for roughly, what, a few weeks? I'd have been more upset if he immediately started pulling all the tricks he has in the comic or cartoon. New powers take time to develop.

All this boils down to, he was a supporting character. Only reason he got more screen time than the others is because he is a fan favorite. Asami got absolutely no development, at all. We're lucky to get Virgil at all.

@Veshark said:

He was a supporting character; so naturally they couldn't provide him with as much attention as the main cast. Honestly S2 suffered from this as a whole; with too many characters to be juggled and not enough characterizations for most beyond generic personalities (see: Batgirl, Bumblebee, Mal, Beast Boy, Tim Drake, Wonder Girl etc.)

Exactly. S2 added too many new characters too quickly. We barely saw anything from Tim, Cassie, Raquel, and Babs. We were lucky to get what we did for BB, Mal, and Karen.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

a season 3 would probably have him , beetle, beast boy , and wonder girl as a squad since the older members wanted to take some time off.a season 3 we are never going to have :'(

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By w0nd

In his own cartoon, when he first got his powers he wasn't that strong either, A tazer punch left him drained, and there was that episode where he drained his powers and didn't even think he could recharge himself...and this spanned over a few seasons. Him being week is just him being a new hero, I am fine with it 100% As for being smart, he was never put in a position where genius was required, but he didn't do anything stupid either. He actually came off as the logical one of the group.

Avatar image for otakudragonslayer
    OtakuDragonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OtakuDragonSlayer

With him training under freaking Black Lightning I'm sure we'll get the Static content we're so hungry for

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.