Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

John Rozum Leaves 'Static Shock,' DC VP Bob Harras Addresses Rozum's Resignation

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

With the recent death of writer Dwayne McDuffie, DC's announcement that they would be giving one of McDuffie's most successful comic book creations, 'Static Shock,' his own ongoing title as a part of the 'New 52' received warm reception from fans; and news that one of McDuffie's closest friends and collaborators John Rozum would be co-writing the series with Scott McDaniel only seemed appropriate. The first issue of the series hit stores just last week on September 7th was written by writer John Rozum and Scott McDaniel with art and a cover by McDaniel-- unfortunately, this creative team would not last.

No Caption Provided

Yesterday on his blog, Rozum revealed that he would be leaving 'Static Shock,' citing that he would be resigning from the series and that the decision to leave was his own choice.

== TEASER ==

My decision to leave was of my own choice. I was not fired..My decision to leave had nothing to do with the character of Static. I think Static is a great character with loads of potential, which I hope will get exploited. Given a lot of people's suspicious feelings regarding the relationship between DC Comics and Milestone Media, I will also warn not to read into this that my decision was based on any decisions regarding the handling of the character by DC Comics.

No Caption Provided

Rozum goes on to say that he is currently in the process of "developing new material for DC Comics," and that the publisher was not the reason for his departure; you can read the rest of his statement here. Rozum had been collaborating with writer/artist Scott McDaniel, and he doesn't seem to mention him in his blog; perhaps he felt that the book no longer required that collaboration? DC's Bob Harras revealed on The Source later that the publisher has "had a great relationship with John for 15 years," and that the company is looking forward to future projects with Rozum.

John Rozum called me today to tell me that he’s leaving STATIC SHOCK. DC Comics has had a great relationship with John for 15 years, and he and I had a great conversation about new ideas, new concepts and moving forward. We’re all excited to see what comes next.

Whatever his reasons for departure may be, we look forward to seeing more of John Rozum's work in the future. Maybe we'll get a 'Xombi' title again? What do you think of Rozum's departure from Static Shock, and did you enjoy the first book in the series?

Avatar image for batflasharrow96
    batflasharrow96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By batflasharrow96

That's weird.

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By waruikumo

The issue felt forced. There is potential there, but it unfortunately it was mediocre at best.

It's really sad to see Xombi get axed, or caught in the wash. That series with the writing and art was just fantastic. Hopefully it gets brought back, or Rozum is given the chance to do some stuff as interesting as Xombi in the near future. Good to hear he's not leaving DC altogether.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

Interesting.
    BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Hm some one is liying here 

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#5  Edited By ElCapitan

I came to Static following Rozum and I didn't really like the first issue. Without Rozum I'll be dropping it.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

I read about this earlier today. Cant say I'm upset. I wasnt gonna read Static anyway. Glad John Rozum is sticking around to do something else.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Please god, PLEASE let us get another Xombi series. One of the most amazing series I've ever read. Both volumes.

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By -Vigil-

Very odd.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Huh, that's odd. Off of Static due to his own reasons yet is still staying in DC. Sounds a little bit like something is being covered up to be honest. Not that it affects me one way or another since I don't read much of Static anyway, but am totally a fan of the universe McDuffie created with Milestone. I'm curiously wondering what they are NOT telling us here...

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By -Vigil-

@spiderbat87 said:

Hm some one is liying here

Not necessarily. Rozum could have left because he felt someone else would do a better job with Static, or because it's hard for him to write a character created by a friend that so recently died, or for some personal reason we would never think of. No reason to assume that everything is lies and cover-ups.

antiterra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By antiterra

I can't say I'm sad to see Rozum leave a book that I have no interest in, if it means he's free to pursue things closer to his and Irving's wonderful Xombi mini. He was wasted on Static Shock - by which I don't mean that Static isn't "good enough", only that writing such a book and character would probably have been limiting for Rozum. I'm sure DC can find a more suitable writer for Static, while Rozum can let his special brand of creativity soar on other projects.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By ReVamp

Learnt this yesterday... :P

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@el33tcapitan: I agree.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Duo_forbidden

The first issue was pretty decent. The series has potential, and I'll be checking it out even after his departure. Maybe Felicia D. Henderson could take his place. Despite her run in Teen Titans, her writing for the Static Shock tribute was pretty good.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By JonesDeini

@The Mighty Monarch said:

Please god, PLEASE let us get another Xombi series. One of the most amazing series I've ever read. Both volumes.

Lucky you getting to read both :P And I hope that he and Frazer come back on that book!

@el33tcapitan:

Word, folk. I was gonna wait to make my real decision on this book after issue four when I was sure Rozum was doing the heavy lifting. Honestly I can't stand McDaniel's art so that was already a minus. Without Rozum, I'm good on this book. Time to either pick up Batwoman or Demon Knights.

GraveSp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By GraveSp

Kinda strange but I didn't decide to pick up this book because of the writer I did it because of the character. And honestly this is going to happen with the new 52, artists and writers are going to be changed up, I really can't see Johns and Lee doing Justice League for more than the first 2 arcs.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

@JonesDeini said:

@The Mighty Monarch said:

Lucky you getting to read both :P And I hope that he and Frazer come back on that book!

@el33tcapitan:

Word, folk. I was gonna wait to make my real decision on this book after issue four when I was sure Rozum was doing the heavy lifting. Honestly I can't stand McDaniel's art so that was already a minus. Without Rozum, I'm good on this book. Time to either pick up Batwoman or Demon Knights.

Well, I've only read 6 issues of the first, but still.

Wow. That's a touch call. Both series have really strong first issues. If I had to recommend one I'd be leaning towards Demon Knights simply because it's a little more unique if you're already getting one or more Batman titles, and even different than most of the rest of the superhero comics, being that it's Dark Ages and Magic and stuff.

humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By humanfly26

too bad :-( I liked Rozum's Xombi and Kobalt for Milestone. His Xombi for DC recently was also good. I didn't really like the first issue of Static as much as I hoped.. Maybe he left because the book was mostly McDaniels and he wasn't able to contribute as much?

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By SevanGrim

sounds fishy. But whatever. If hes staying with DC it cant be that bad.

First issue was pretty cool to me. I had allot of issues with the costume and stuff, but most of that went away by issues end. I hope Hardware gets regular use.

Avatar image for gambitsprincess
    gambitsprincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gambitsprincess

i really hope static shock goes far. it was the issue 1 i was looking forward to most.

RichyRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RichyRich

If he felt it had such great potential, why couldn't he stay on it? I know he said he's working on other projects, but Static Shock was so good

Sakurafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sakurafire

There were few books I was looking forward to in the New 52. Static Shock was definitely one of them. I would have liked a little flashback for those not familiar with Static, but over-all it was a good story that ended on a cliffhanger.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I still haven't read Static #1 and have no interest in it. I never grew up liking the show because I never liked the character of Static, It didn't have anything to with his race; I just never liked him as a character. Curious as to exactly why he chose to leave, possibly due to the negative reception of Static #1?

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By doordoor123

I hope they get a better writer on it. Rozum was alright. I think someone else can do better. He said he left the book on good terms with DC and he said he's working on other projects. My guess is that the work load seemed like too much and he picked his other projects over Static Shock.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Adnan

I'm thinking either creative differences between the two co-writers, or DC simply offered Rozum something better.

I've heard mixed comments about this ongoing, though I hope it continues and gets better, Static is a great character.

Daniel_Newton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daniel_Newton

Loved the cartoon, I enjoyed this first issue and I'll definitely continue reading.

Those who are dropping the comic because of this are silly. Give it a few more issues first, then decide.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Decept-O

Locally, Static Shock was a title a couple of customers in my LCBS asked about this week. I know that has nothing to do with the news of the writer leaving the series, but interest in the character is strong. Perhaps the writer will be able to help with other projects and Static Shock will continue to do well.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By difficlus

@CrimsonAvenger said:

I still haven't read Static #1 and have no interest in it. I never grew up liking the show because I never liked the character of Static, It didn't have anything to with his race; I just never liked him as a character. Curious as to exactly why he chose to leave, possibly due to the negative reception of Static #1?

lol. "it didn't have anything to with his race". Why did you mention that. If someone doesn't like a character like...batman i'm sure they wouldn't first post "it didn't have anything to do with his race". No one is betting on not liking a character due to race. No one is going to tear you apart lol

As for this, issue 1 was like ASM. Hope the quality continues. this news is curious but oh well the show most go on.

Omegalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Omegalpha

Hopefully, this just means that Rozum was only supervising McDaniel and with Scott having a handle on the title, JR is pursuing other work.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone
    which I hope will get exploited.  
    *sigh*
    labarith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By labarith

Static Shock from the 52 sucked.

I know, I know "When it's the only static shock comic, you have to support it"/etc. - But take it from an IDW-hater, who is constantly getting horrible transformers books: Fooling yourself does not help.

Will this be the first 52 book to be canned? This guy is jumping ship, so he hopes to avoid blame. But black superhero handled poorly with a dozen+ villains in an "introductory" 1st issue? One who is significantly different from DC (left his "fake" city for a real one) and from his cartoon/previous comic series...

Coming soon: DC: THe new ~ 50

slick23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slick23

New person, new ideas, new stories. it aint that bad! i might buy Static soon!

acomicbooklook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By acomicbooklook

I've always said Xombi was terrific, I never really cared for Static Shock. I hope to see more with Xombi in the future.

supermanprime6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By supermanprime6

@Sakurafire: I totally agree with you. So far, almost all of the books have had flashback/origin story qualities to them, this one was just terrible. It was like, hey here's this Static dude and he is talking to some random guy in armor chasing down some random criminals. It was just bad for a number one. Since I knew the back story, I could keep up, but for new readers this would have been extremely confusing. I though Legion Lost was the same way.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Static Shock

There's more to this than what's being lead on...

Who's gonna pick up the slack, though? McDaniel can't do it himself.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Static Shock
    @CrimsonAvenger said:

I still haven't read Static #1 and have no interest in it. I never grew up liking the show because I never liked the character of Static, It didn't have anything to with his race; I just never liked him as a character.

Just saying that you didn't like him as a character was enough. 

As for everyone else, for those that think the book was or will be cancelled...

mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mfundo

Oh well he might as well of not decided to do Static Shock if he was going to drop it. Poor Dwyane McDuffie he did so much, only to be dropped like a hot pancake!
    mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

maybe he left the title because he did not want to be forced to do a book. he said he quit THE BOOK, but not DC COMICS proper. so good job on static 1, heres to see what you do next Rozum! it better be good!

Avatar image for monitor_earthprime
    monitor_earthprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I will be sticking with Static, out of respect for my friend Dwayne. The one problem I have about this comic book is that they moved it out of Dakota. It was good to see Hardware in the first issue.

Avatar image for thecupcakeavenger
    TheCupcakeAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally didn't enjoy the first issue, but I have little to no prior knowledge of Static except for seeing the cartoon a few times and seeing an older version in the JLU cartoon. I had no clue as to what was going on at times and I was having a hard time trying to care about characters I didn't know. The opposite was the Swamp Thing issue one, because while I again had no knowledge of the character, I really enjoyed it and am going to continue with it. I'll give Static another few issues to draw me in.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LP

This is suspicious.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ac68b267255
    deactivated-60ac68b267255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't care much for the art or the story. I'll probably be dropping this one.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Eyz

Leaving, so soon? Really?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ac68b267255
    deactivated-60ac68b267255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Eyz: I'll give it another issue or two before I make a final decision. I'm disappointed too that the mysteries concerning Static and the STAR Labs scientist from when he was in Teen Titans are never going to be addressed.
    nicholai441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By nicholai441

the first issue was alright. but this is being said from someone who only know static shock through cartoon. it did leave a lot of questions though.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Samimista

I hope the series will continue to be good and won't be dropped. Static deserves more attention than what he gets.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.