Follow

Static

Character » Static appears in 185 issues.

Virgil Hawkins was exposed to a mutagenic gas that swept his city of Dakota, which gave him and other 'bang babies" superpowers. With the ability to control electromagnetism, Static joined the Teen Titans and continues to protect his city while serving on the team.

How would you do a new Static Shock cartoon?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

#1  Edited By Black_Claw

Ok I've had this idea in my head for a while now. We all have fond memories of Statics old show and a lot of us think he should get more love from DC. So what if they gave him a new show? This is how I would do it.

Make the show have a darker tone

The old show did have it's moments where it was dark, but overall it was pretty light hearted. A lot of Superhero shows such as Avengers EMH and Young Justice have been dark in tone and it opened the door for some really good story lines. I personally think a new Static cartoon should follow suit. However, they shouldn't go overboard with the dark tone and should maintain a balance of light heartedness and darkness.

Use some more characters from the comics

One of the the things the old show was notable for was creating characters exclusively for the show such as Ebon and Talon. These villains were cool and I'd love it if they returned for a reboot. However, Instead of creating a bunch of New villains for a new show, I think some characters from the old milestone comics should be used.

No Caption Provided

Holocaust is a shining example because he was a former member of the Blood Syndicate and somebody Static used to look up to, but unfortunately Holocaust unleashed his dark side and now is an enemy of Static. Hotstreak can also be a (reluctant) sidekick to Holocaust and since the big guy is a major crime boss in Dakota,he can come into conflict with Ebon at times.

No Caption Provided

Another notable character from the comics is Dusk, whom Static had a brief romance with. She fights criminals like he does but the one thing that separates Dusk from Static is that Dusk kills her enemies. A series of episodes about her style of fighting crime and how it affects her relationship with Static has tons of potential. Characters from the new 52 such as Virule and Pirahna can make appearances as well.

Be wise with celebrities!

Seriously, one of the biggest things that bugged me about the old show was the celebrity guest appearances. Some celebs such as Shaq and Lil Romeo made appearances in episodes and it really annoyed me as a kid and it still does today because it really makes the show look dated. If the new show wants to do celebrity guest appearances, then the episode shouldn't have the celebrities themselves appear, but instead have them voice a character of the day. For example, remember that episode of Batman TAS where Adam West voiced a character called the Gray Ghost? That's how I feel a celebrity guest appearance should be handled.

These are a few of the things I'd do with a new show. What would you do?

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By krspaceT

Particularly if Icon and such are used too, YES

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Black_Claw

Yes, that brings me to another thing, Icon, Hardware and some other DC superheroes can appear in some episodes to help out Static. And there can also be an episode where he teams up with the Teen Titans!

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By wisesonAC

I've always had an idea for a show called "Dakota". you know a show about the milestone characters fighting crime and living in the city of Dakota.Dakota is a big and diverse place, where many stories could be told; i think your ideas for static would fit in great(the atmosphere and such). i would just love to see all the heroes and villains interacting. Such as the blood syndicate,Icon and Rocket,Hardware,Xombi,and of course static etc i guess what i'm saying is that a new static show would be great but a show about "Dakota" would be amazing.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The original cartoon was OK but I think they need to make the setting more realistic. It was way to PC for me.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By moywar700

@Vance Astro said:

The original cartoon was OK but I think they need to make the setting more realistic. It was way to PC for me.

I watched it when I was a little kid and I loved it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @moywar700 said:

@Vance Astro said:

As did I, there were certain things that happened in it though that were facepalm worthy. 
    Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Black_Claw

@Vance Astro said:

@moywar700 said:

@Vance Astro said:

As did I, there were certain things that happened in it though that were facepalm worthy.

The most facepalm worthy moment for me was that episode where a bunch of NBA players were shown to be power rangers. Worst episode ever in my opinion.

Stuff like that would cease to exist in a new show.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Black_Claw said:

The most facepalm worthy moment for me was that episode where a bunch of NBA players were shown to be power rangers. Worst episode ever in my opinion.

Stuff like that would cease to exist in a new show.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that. It's tied with the episodes with A.J. from the Backstreet Boys. Isn't Dakota supposed to be the "hood"? I'm pretty sure that's not where people are listening to Backstreet Boys.
    BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlackWind

We should see Virgil interacting with his friends, besides Richie. I liked him and all, but aside from him, and sometimes Daisy and Frieda, Virgil was limited in his social circle. Hell, Frieda was barely mentioned after a while, and she's his best friend in the comics. I would still love Gear to exist however as his partner.

Another problem the show suffered from, was that aside from Ebon and Alva, Static had no big enemies that challenged him. Specs and Trapper could be mentioned, but they didn't appear often enough Hotstreak was simply a bully and thug, then a bully and a thug with pyrokinesis. I think I'd prefer the white supremacist version, but obviously that can't be seen in a cartoon. Also, Ebon should be more threatening than e was shown to be.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Black_Claw

@BlackWind said:

We should see Virgil interacting with his friends, besides Richie. I liked him and all, but aside from him, and sometimes Daisy and Frieda, Virgil was limited in his social circle. Hell, Frieda was barely mentioned after a while, and she's his best friend in the comics. I would still love Gear to exist however as his partner.

Another problem the show suffered from, was that aside from Ebon and Alva, Static had no big enemies that challenged him. Specs and Trapper could be mentioned, but they didn't appear often enough Hotstreak was simply a bully and thug, then a bully and a thug with pyrokinesis. I think I'd prefer the white supremacist version, but obviously that can't be seen in a cartoon. Also, Ebon should be more threatening than e was shown to be.

Well maybe Frieda can be one of Statics partners in the new show along with Gear. She just won't be doing any fighting. As for the Hotstreak situation, there was an episode in the old show where Richie's dad was a racist. Hotstreak can be a lot more darker and sociopathic in the new show and can be a racist as well. The shows staff will have to try not to be too edgy with the racist part of the character.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Twentyfive

Great question, and I was JUST now thinking about it. I would add more of the Milestone characters, even those in the "Heroes" team. Donner and Blitzen. Also Xombi.

I would have Freida and Daisy play a much bigger role in the series, although I am not yet sure if I would have them discover his hero identity (even though his hairstyle kinda tells all). I would probably put them in a love triangle.

I would have STAR Labs be incorporated in it, and that could be Dakota's gateway to the DC world, and introduce characters like Ray Palmer, and Amazo, and whathaveyou?

Rocket will be in it too.

I would make the show a little darker. I would have both Static and Virgil suffer the consequences of their choices, and watch them grow as individuals, and I would have villains that are both scary, and kind of relatable.

The art style would have to either be like GL:TAS, or this new Omniverse Ben 10 show. I like the art on that show. Or even like Ultimate Spider-Man.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Claw

@Twentyfive said:

Great question, and I was JUST now thinking about it. I would add more of the Milestone characters, even those in the "Heroes" team. Donner and Blitzen. Also Xombi.

I would have Freida and Daisy play a much bigger role in the series, although I am not yet sure if I would have them discover his hero identity (even though his hairstyle kinda tells all). I would probably put them in a love triangle.

I would have STAR Labs be incorporated in it, and that could be Dakota's gateway to the DC world, and introduce characters like Ray Palmer, and Amazo, and whathaveyou?

Rocket will be in it too.

I would make the show a little darker. I would have both Static and Virgil suffer the consequences of their choices, and watch them grow as individuals, and I would have villains that are both scary, and kind of relatable.

The art style would have to either be like GL:TAS, or this new Omniverse Ben 10 show. I like the art on that show. Or even like Ultimate Spider-Man.

I like these Ideas, except for the part about the animation being like Green Lantern. Don't get me wrong, it's a good show but I think DC shows look a lot better in 2d. Unless if the 3d is sort of like Transformers Prime or the opening cutscene for DCUO. As for Frieda and Daisy, I say have Frieda find out his identity early along with Gear, and have Daisy find out his identity later.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Twentyfive

@Black_Claw: Too true, but the focus of shows that are cheaply animated like GL is to push out more episodes in as little time as possible, that way a fan of the show can enjoy all the quality stories being put out without the feeling of disillusionment YJ fans get every time they learn there is going to be a hiatus. That can pull a person out of the experience of enjoying the show. If cartoons like GL and Spectacular Spider-Man have ever proven anything, it is that a hero cartoon can be very entertaining in spite of how much effort is put into how it looks. But I agree with you to some marginal extent.

I can see some animation crap-ups in 3D. Haha. Omniverse, and Ultimate Spider-Man/Generator Rex look awesome.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Black_Claw

@Twentyfive said:

@Black_Claw: Too true, but the focus of shows that are cheaply animated like GL is to push out more episodes in as little time as possible, that way a fan of the show can enjoy all the quality stories being put out without the feeling of disillusionment YJ fans get every time they learn there is going to be a hiatus. That can pull a person out of the experience of enjoying the show. If cartoons like GL and Spectacular Spider-Man have ever proven anything, it is that a hero cartoon can be very entertaining in spite of how much effort is put into how it looks. But I agree with you to some marginal extent.

I can see some animation crap-ups in 3D. Haha. Omniverse, and Ultimate Spider-Man/Generator Rex look awesome.

So what do you think of my idea of Daisy and Frieda?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Twentyfive

@Black_Claw: That is a good idea. Better than having them in the background all the time. And in the aspect of the love triangle, having Frieda know his identity could work in Daisy's favor. The whole thing could play out interestingly.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Claw

@Twentyfive: Another thing I would do is to keep Statics mother alive like she was in the comics. And a lot of the original cast from the old show can come back for the reboot and reprise their roles.

Also, remember how Rubberband man was Ebon's brother? That can stay in the reboot, however Ebon will be a lot more antagonistic towards his brother every time he passes up on an offer to join the meta breed because if this quote is anything from Ebon is anything to go by :

"You either join us or your gonna go to the top of our list"

And remember, the reboot will be darker in tone so therefore Ebon is going to be a lot more dangerous than the old show would allow. Same goes for Shiv and Hotstreak.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BlackWind

@Black_Claw: I know about that episode, but I don't see a cartoon going full blown racism like how Hotstreak was.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

@Black_Claw: Why did I not get that reply? Oh well.

You should work at DC, my friend. I wish it was you with the pen on the Static comic instead of Scott McDaniel. The comic would have turned out great.

I did not like how the cartoon scrapped the Ebon, RBM relationship after one episode. RBM would make a terrific frenemy of Static simply because he is not susceptible to electric shock, and they haven't met on the best of terms. I would keep the mother, father and sister alive like in the comics too. I'd probably keep Static's Dad's community center, and rename it after Dwayne McDuffie, and the mom can be a nurse. Cool portrait for a comic family.

Also, I'd like to see Talon, and some new villains in the new show.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Claw

@Twentyfive: And as a plus. While villains like Ebon, Shiv, and Hotstreak are deadlier this time around, it will be shown that they are known when to draw the line with their evilness. For instance, as deadly as they are they will refuse to harm babies or small children. Therefore Holocaust will be the 'Complete Monster' of the series. He's shown to be very sadistic, has zero empathy and remorse for what he does, has a ferocious temper (even more so than Hotstreak), and won't hesitate to kill his own men. And while this may seem like going to far, I know of a good way to show just how irredeemable Holocaust is.

One episode will show Holocaust going on a rampage through Dakota with Static and Gear desperately trying to stop him. Suddenly when he's about to launch a fire attack at Static, his tearful mother (who is a politician in the comics and in this show) suddenly comes from behind Holocaust and wraps her arms around him and cries for him to stop. Holocaust makes the flames go away and nobody in the area moves a muscle as the scene becomes silent for a few moments, then the music goes into a sweet, tender tone as Holocaust turns around and embraces his mother back lovingly. Static and Gear smile at the scene, thinking this just might be the thing that'll make Holocaust turn his life around. But they're wrong, Holy SHIT they are wrong! Suddenly without warning, Holocaust grabs his mothers face with his massive hand and with the two heroes looking on in horror, Holocaust blasts his mother with a plume of flames, killing her instantly (however when he does kill her the camera will just show Static and Gears horrified reactions with the light from the attacks shining on their faces).

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StatFan201

I would make it closer to the comic book with only Frieda knowing his secret identity. I like the idea of the love triangle between Virgil/Static and Frieda Daisy. I originally was going to say I would scrap Gear but since peole seem to like him so much I would revamp him as a seperate character from Richie/Rick. I would probably have the whole first season feature Static as solo hero, and eventually in the following seasons incorporate Gear as an on again/ off again partner with others doing the same. I would probably make Gear a student/protoge of Hardware's who tests out his new prototype armor, eventually adding improvements to it throughout the show. I would have Static in his original costume or something that closely resembles it. (Like the baseball caps and black mask) As far as other incorporations from the show stronger Ebon nuff said.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Black_Claw

@StatFan201: I like the idea of Gear being Hardware's protege! Makes sense because Gear was basically an homage to hardware anyway.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlackWind

Personally I prefer Virgil's mother being dead, but that's just me

@Black_Claw: I agree. Ebon always had the mentality of a gang leader. He was in control, and wasn't above slapping someone around(Shiv) when they got on his nerves or questioned his orders. In new episode he even mentioned that even when in juvie, he was always the one calling the shots and in control. When the Joker came to Dakota, Ebon wasn't there. Either he was still on lock down, or refused to work for him if he wasn't in charge. And when a newly powered Madelyn came around, Ebon was constantly calling her plans small time and that only he could lead the Metabreed. Ebon is straight up dominant, that's the best way to describe him. Though to be honest, Shiv was a bit crazy, I wouldn't doubt the big bang affected his sanity.

Though using Holocaust as the one who goes one step further than they would is a good idea, since he is a character who gets what he wants, and doesn't let others stand in his way.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Black_Claw

@BlackWind: Agreed. And to add further conflict, one episode can reveal that before Ebon got his powers, he was a nobody who was trying to join up with Holocaust's newly created gang. Sadly, he botched a task he was supposed to complete and the police came after him and Holocaust's gang ditched him and ran for the hills, leaving Ebon to be caught by the authorities. This really made Ebon have a deep hatred of Holocaust because he felt abandoned at the time. One day while he was on Parole, Ebon went to the docks with the intent of killing holocaust (similar to how Virgil was in a situation of trying to kill Hotstreak). Then the Big Bang happens and Ebon gets his powers, and while all of Holocausts mooks die from the gas, Holocaust himself gets Pyrokinieses and is more powerful than ever. It can also be shown that Ebon always feels a sense of insecurity whenever he comes into contact Holocaust (though he hides it from the rest of his gang), because the only reason why he's one of the top dogs in Dakota is because of the Big Bang. Holocaust however has been ruling the streets long before the Big Bang and should something happen that takes away the powers of all Bang Babies, Holocaust will still be a big time crime boss but Ebon will be at the bottom of the barrell once more. This is also a reason why Ebon gets mad at Bang Babies who resent their powers.

StatFan201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StatFan201

@BlackWind: If i recall correctly he displayed an ability similar to that in the cartoon where he tried to drop Static and Gear into a nuclear reactor. i think it was "Out of Darkness"

On Virgil's mother, I Like the idea of her being alive because it provides sort of a different spin by making it that much tougher to carry out a secret identity without the family finding out.. Most shows take the easy way out by having either one or both parents dead.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Black_Claw
    No Caption Provided

@StatFan201: Another thing I'd like a reboot to do is to put some spotlight on villains like Bubbasaurus. He seems like a pretty tragic villain and could be Static's killer croc in a sense.

But the one villain I'd love to see most in a reboot is Commando X. This guy is a black supremacist who is very big on the separation of the races, only thing is that the society he is trying to create will truly be separate and equal. Only thing I'd change about him is to make his appearance a mix between a soldier and an African tribe leader and he can wear a creepy looking african mask to conceal his identity. Think of him as Static's version of Amon in a sense.

No Caption Provided
    BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackWind

Is it odd I have never liked any of Static's love interests?

wisesonAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wisesonAC

@Black_Claw: honestly i like the idea of adding bubba and commando. but for commando x i liked his design. i dont really like the idea of an African mask thing. i like the solider route because it matches more closely to the idea of who he is mentality even how he dresses.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PassionFlower

I'd LOVE a new Static cartoon what I would do is make it less kiddy and more edgy like Young Justice. I would especially have Rocket in it and guests from Milestone and DC proper as well. My DC guests would be mostly TT and younger heroes.

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

Well, If I had to to a Static cartoon I think in terms of tone I would make it like Batman the brave and the bold. That show did well with kids and adults because it embraced it's absurdity instead of running away from it. It wouldn't be too over the top but overall it would be fun, dark and edgy does not equal good.

I would have Virgil as a solo hero who occasionally teams up with other teenage heroes from the dcu, like Gen 13, Blue Beetle, a time travel episode where he meets the legionairres,

He would also meet other heroes and villans from Milestone while building up his own rogues gallery.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Black_Claw

Another thing I would do is have most of the original cast from the old show reprise their roles as their respective characters, while the new characters can have actors such as Blair Underwood, Keith David and Brian White voice them.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Darker. The Static episodes where they focused on deeper issues (such as with his mom, or even the cure for the Bang-Babies were the best episodes)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those sound like some pretty cool ideas.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By jointron33
    ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ms__omega

Keep the original origin story it being all the gangs in Dakota City getting hit with the mutagen gas by the police.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms__omega: I think that's pretty much a given. Lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.