#1 Posted by YoungGunna (2439 posts) - - Show Bio

Not like a Superman more of a supergirl

#2 Posted by Valtot (4502 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungGunna:

what do you mean match a kryptonian? in what way
#3 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, What?

#4 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope Static is more of a street level strength no way near the supes.

#5 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@YoungGunna said:
" Not like a Superman more of a supergirl "
No.
#6 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

No...BUT BLACK LIGHTNING COULD.

#7 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:

" No...BUT BLACK LIGHTNING COULD. "

Please. Everyone knows that Black Lightning's ability to manifest 'red' lightning to weaken Kryptonians was PIS. It didn't even make sense. Red lightning has nothing to do with red sun radiation. 
#8 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
" @TheCrowbar said:

" No...BUT BLACK LIGHTNING COULD. "

Please. Everyone knows that Black Lightning's ability to manifest 'red' lightning to weaken Kryptonians was PIS. It didn't even make sense. Red lightning has nothing to do with red sun radiation.  "
Still there.
#9 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: ?
#10 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#11 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hunter114: Nice avatar. 
#12 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio

In all fairness, lightning is one of superman's many weaknesses. Captain marvel has put him down with it a number of times. Not to mention the fact that he has red blood indicates that he has heavy iron content in his blood. If static had a good strategy he could at least weaken superman.

#13 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
In all fairness, lightning is one of superman's many weaknesses. Captain marvel has put him down with it a number of times. Not to mention the fact that he has red blood indicates that he has heavy iron content in his blood. If static had a good strategy he could at least weaken superman.
Captain Marvel's lightning is magical. Superman has a weakness to magic. It doesn't mean Virgil can do the same. Apart from this, there have been several instances of Superman withstanding natural lightning or electric blasts.
#14 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would depend on the writer, and on the power level of the revamped supers.

#15 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@ithinkitwasyou said:
Captain Marvel's lightning is magical. Superman has a weakness to magic. It doesn't mean Virgil can do the same. Apart from this, there have been several instances of Superman withstanding natural lightning or electric blasts.
Livewire's electricity has been shown to put a hurting on superman and Super girl. Strange Visitor as well.  There is nothing magical about there EM energy.
#16 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou: Well, Superman has tanked electricity in the past, too. Either way, using Captain Marvel was a bad example.
#17 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou: What are you talking about? Marvel's lightning is magical.
#18 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23: magic or not Lightning hurts Superman. Livewire and strange visitor have both put superman and supergirl down using lightning. 
#19 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
@comicdude23: magic or not Lightning hurts Superman.                                           
What he's saying is that you could have used a better example, other than Captain Marvel's magic lightning. 
#20 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#21 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: based on what? what's your argument here?
#22 Posted by PowerHerc (85153 posts) - - Show Bio

@ithinkitwasyou:

Based on the fact that Kryptonians have a varied and high-level powerset and Static has only electricity powers and no means to channel that to increase his other abilities or to gain other powers.

#23 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

Static has only electricity powers .

He can manipulate magnetism, too. 
#24 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@ithinkitwasyou:

Based on the fact that Kryptonians have a varied and high-level powerset and Static has only electricity powers and no means to channel that to increase his other abilities or to gain other powers.

he can manipulate the electromatic spectrum. Electricity disrupts kryptonian's biomatrix field.
#25 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou:  that biomatrix excuse for a kryptonian powers was gotten rid of, their skin is incredibly dense and resistant to damage
#26 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: yet and still they are weakened by electricity....so...
#27 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou: You think Static could defeat Superman? Zod? Supergirl? 
#28 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: I don't think static could, based on who he is, but based on the power to manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum, superman and even the greatest of Kryptonians could be beaten. If there strength comes from some sort of tactile kinetic field, that field has been shown to be disrupted by electric impulses. If there strength is actually physical and based on some highly dense form of issue, than electricity would simple have the same affect it has on all organic issue, force flexing it, turning it's own physical strength against it, immobilizing it. It's physics, and superman's red blood cells are indicative of heavy iron content in the bloodstream, which would make his biology vulnerable to magnetic manipulations. 

It's a combination of physics and comic cannon.
#29 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@ithinkitwasyou: Conner is the only one with a tactile kinetic field, and Static's electromagnetism cancelled it out. It doesn't extend to Superman, who was just stated to have a super-dense molecular structure.

#30 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:

@ithinkitwasyou: Conner is the only one with a tactile kinetic field, and Static's electromagnetism cancelled it out. It doesn't extend to Superman, who was just stated to have a super-dense molecular structure.

The question was asked if static shock (Someone who manipulates the electro-magnetic spectrum) could defeat a Kryptonian. Potentially speaking, the answer to that question is yes. It's simply a matter of practical application. Superman has been shown to be weakened by lightning, from multiple character (Strange Visitor, Livewire, and captain Marvel have all used it against him, with favorable results) If one can actually manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum (one of the basic active forces in the universe) there is any number of uses one could come up with as alternative means to beat superman not limited to just lightning. Solar energy for example can be harnessed into electricity through a transformer. Hypothetically speaking this same energy could be used to constract a tactile magnetic force field that's strength impact pressure, and overall durability would only be limited to the same source of power that superman and all kryptonians are dependent on in order to have super powers, the sun. 

Bottom line is that if the writer knows his physics, it would be no stretch of the imagination for someone with that type of power to take out a Kryptonian.
#31 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@ithinkitwasyou said:

The question was asked if static shock (Someone who manipulates the electro-magnetic spectrum) could defeat a Kryptonian.

The question was whether or not Static's power could match a Kryptonian's, not not necessarily defeat them. Although, Static can manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum (to a limited extent, anyway), it doesn't mean that he's knowledgeable enough to use it in a manner that would actually be a problem for a Kryptonian.

#32 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: I'm pretty sure at this point that in this debate I have more than proven that Static shock can potentially match and beat a Kryptonian.
#33 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@ithinkitwasyou: The only problem is that Static hasn't even shown to be that creative or intuitive with his powers yet. So, you haven't proven much. I could see Black Lightning doing all of what you mentioned before Static could.

#34 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: Static has been shown to produce extreme voltage levels, and project lightning. He also been shown to manipulate metals as well as create force fields. So could Static Shock match the power of a Kryptonian?...easily. Kryptonians are weekend by electromagnetic energy.
#35 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@ithinkitwasyou said:

@Static Shock: Static has been shown to produce extreme voltage levels, and project lightning. He also been shown to manipulate metals as well as create force fields. So could Static Shock match the power of a Kryptonian?...easily. Kryptonians are weekend by electromagnetic energy.

Neither of those have anything to do with manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum like you suggested earlier. You also said that solar energy can be converted into electricity. Static has never done that, nor has he shown enough experience to pull it off.

#36 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: wait a second, are you saying that producing electromagnetic energy constructs (such as force fields) producing electromagnetic pulses, manipulating metal through magnetic means, and projecting electric burst of energy has nothing to do with electromagnetic spectrum? If that's what you're saying (Which is what you just wrote) you're sadly mistaken. And yes all someone would need to be able to match a Kryptonian in combat would be the skills Static has already displayed. A decent enough defense (force fields) and an affect offense (Lightning bolts) both of which Static has been shown using through means of the electromagnetic spectrum.
#37 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
@Static Shock: wait a second, are you saying that producing electromagnetic energy constructs (such as force fields) producing electromagnetic pulses, manipulating metal through magnetic means, and projecting electric burst of energy has nothing to do with electromagnetic spectrum? If that's what you're saying (Which is what you just wrote) you're sadly mistaken. 
No. All of the things you listed is just manipulating electromagnetic energy for various uses. So, I'm not mistaken at all. You have one thing confused with another.

Manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum is a totally different matter, which would require manipulating different forms of energy along certain wavelengths (light, gamma rays, radio waves, x-rays, ultraviolet light, infrared rays, and microwaves). So far, Static has only been able to produce radio waves, but it took a lot of concentration to do it. This is why I say his can manipulate the spectrum to a limited extent.
#38 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@ithinkitwasyou said:
@Static Shock: wait a second, are you saying that producing electromagnetic energy constructs (such as force fields) producing electromagnetic pulses, manipulating metal through magnetic means, and projecting electric burst of energy has nothing to do with electromagnetic spectrum? If that's what you're saying (Which is what you just wrote) you're sadly mistaken. 
No. All of the things you listed is just manipulating electromagnetic energy for various uses. So, I'm not mistaken at all. You have one thing confused with another.

Manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum is a totally different matter, which would require manipulating different forms of energy along certain wavelengths (light, gamma rays, radio waves, x-rays, ultraviolet light, infrared rays, and microwaves). So far, Static has only been able to produce radio waves, but it took a lot of concentration to do it. This is why I say his can manipulate the spectrum to a limited extent.
Creating a magnetic force field would be useless if he couldnt' manipulate other forms of energy because his force field would only be able to protect him from magnetic alloys. The fact that his energy contracts have been used to withstand concussive and thermal and physical variatiant attacks, suggests you stand to be corrected yet again. And I don't know where you get the idea that Lightning electricity, and Magnetism don't have anything to do with the electro-magnetic spectrum, or how something those respected active forces are derived from would be completely different, but it's clear that there is no point in continuing this little chat with you. The point of the thread was to find out if Static could match the power of a Kryptonian. I've argued that in Theory, someone with EM based powers could, so why shouldn't he? Your debate tactic is a good one, when met with a source you can't combat you digress. It's distracting from the initial point, which was the question in the thread. The answer still being yes.
#39 Edited by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:

Creating a magnetic force field would be useless if he couldnt' manipulate other forms of energy because his force field would only be able to protect him from magnetic alloys. The fact that his energy contracts have been used to withstand concussive and thermal and physical variatiant attacks, suggests you stand to be corrected yet again. 

His force fields are electromagnetic (not just composed of magnetic force, you have two things confused again), consisting of nothing besides electromagnetic energy. Being able to block different kinds of attacks and projectiles doesn't give him complete control of the spectrum. I haven't been corrected yet, and the fact remains, Static has limited control over the electromagnetic spectrum, as I've noted. Besides, concussive force and physical force have nothing to do with the spectrum, anyway. So, I don't know how you managed that.

@ithinkitwasyou said:

And I don't know where you get the idea that Lightning electricity, and Magnetism don't have anything to do with the electro-magnetic spectrum, or how something those respected active forces are derived from would be completely different, but it's clear that there is no point in continuing this little chat with you. 

They may be connected in some way, shape, or form, but what does that have to do with Static, who's never shown to manipulate the entire spectrum, anyway, as I've already stated (and even when he generated radio waves, he needed Kid Flash's help to do it)?  

Either way, being able to project lightning, electricity, and manipulating magnetism isn't exactly manipulating the spectrum. It's manipulating electromagnetic force, the force that causes interaction between electrically-charged particles. The electromagnetic spectrum deals with various forms of radiation as they move through space along different frequencies and wavelengths. While they are all connected in the fundamental force of electromagnetism, they are not the same. So, shooting lightning and manipulating magnetism isn't manipulating the spectrum. It's very simple to understand. I'm also not sure where in post you read that they had nothing to do with each other. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:

The point of the thread was to find out if Static could match the power of a Kryptonian. I've argued that in Theory, someone with EM based powers could, so why shouldn't he? 

Why not admit that you got confused about what the electromagnetic spectrum really is? Never mind what you argued. It's as if you're trying to play it off even after I corrected you. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:

Your debate tactic is a good one, when met with a source you can't combat you digress. 

Yours is probably better than mine. When corrected, you don't want to admit that you were. Okay. Fine by me.
#40 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: Thus far no one knows the complete extent of the electromagnetic spectrum. So naturally he wouldn't have been able to. I also never suggested that he had done anything like that before I said someone who knows what there doing could drop superman. You would have to legitimately point out where I was corrected in order for me to admit that I was wrong about something. Electricity, Magnetism, lightning, are all derivative of the magnetic spectrum. That's simple physics. Being able to manipulate even one suggest control or influence over the other. How about as opposed to continuing to debate  physics with me, you just return to the topic at hand, because at this point you're only trying to prove the difference between a  chair (EM Energy) and a seat (The manipulation of lightning, electricity, Em Field Constructs, energy conversion enhanced strike force, and magnetism) I don't completely understand your point in doing so, but if you like I will let you have this one. 

"Sure there is a difference between a chair and a seat....but I think we still use it to sit, right or wrong? "
#41 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

If he had enough Balloons to rub on his head he could take Superboy Prime.

#42 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
Electricity, Magnetism, lightning, are all derivative of the magnetic spectrum. That's simple physics. 
Right. Even though they aren't even stated to be within the spectrum itself? Really? 

Simple physics states they are connected/related to the electromagnetic spectrum. But, they are not forms of radiation along the spectrum. The obvious difference is my last post. If you don't understand it, fine. I can't convince everyone.

@ithinkitwasyou said:
You would have to legitimately point out where I was corrected in order for me to admit that I was wrong about something.
I already have, not to mention that you did it again. Shooting electricity, lightning, and manipulating magnetism aren't the same as manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum (or manipulating the different forms of radiation along those wavelengths). You have both of those things confused with each other, thinking that Static shooting lightning is actually manipulating the spectrum, when it isn't.  

@ithinkitwasyou said:
@Static Shock: Thus far no one knows the complete extent of the electromagnetic spectrum. 
Okay, and for some strange reason, you seem to act like you know when you obviously don't. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:
because at this point you're only trying to prove the difference between a  chair (EM Energy) and a seat (The manipulation of lightning, electricity, Em Field Constructs, energy conversion enhanced strike force, and magnetism) I don't completely understand your point in doing so, but if you like I will let you have this one.   
All of those things fall under 'electromagnetic force.' To simplify your post, the former is needed to do the latter. Sadly, you've failed to address the electromagnetic spectrum here, which is different, although connected. I take it you somewhat understand what I'm trying to tell you now? 

#44 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
 So weather or not he's in your opinion very good at it, he Does manipulate the EM spectrum. 
Yes, to a very limited extent. Just know that shooting lightning isn't manipulating the spectrum. Period.
#45 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock there goes that whole chair vs. Seat theory. I just love when people are smart. Let's see Earlier in this debate you said Superman wasn't weakened by lightning, only magic lightning. I proved you wrong there. I've even explained strategy on how to do it. you have yet to argue your point of in the negative very well, while I have argued the affirmative effectively. 
#46 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
@Static Shock there goes that whole chair vs. Seat theory. 
Yes, there it goes, because it made no sense. Are you ready to admit that shooting lightning and manipulating magnetism isn't manipulating the spectrum? I applaud the fact that you used Comicvine stats to prove a point to someone who's read every single Static appearance and knows what the kid can do.

@ithinkitwasyou said:
I just love when people are smart.                                          
Before, you said shooting lightning was manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum (when that was wrong, and yet, you still won't admit to that), but then admitted that no one knows the full extent of it (even when you acted like you knew better than all of the physics and scientists credited with putting all of it together). Now, you want to attack me with sarcasm in reference to my intelligence.  

Juicy. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:
Let's see Earlier in this debate you said Superman wasn't weakened by lightning, only magic lightning. I proved you wrong there.
There are actually examples of Superman withstanding lightning outside of fighting metahumans with electrical abilities. I've seen them. I don't know about you, though. i also never said that Superman wasn't weakened by lightning. I'm assuming you're smart enough to go back to first page to read exactly what I said before putting words in my mouth.  

@ithinkitwasyou said:
I've even explained strategy on how to do it. you have yet to argue your point of in the negative very well, while I have argued the affirmative effectively. 
Your explanation made sense. I won't lie. But, if you admit that were confused about what the electromagnetic spectrum was, it would make you look so much better in light of all this. 
#47 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@ithinkitwasyou said:
Yes, there it goes, because it made no sense. Are you ready to admit that shooting lightning and manipulating magnetism isn't manipulating the spectrum? I applaud the fact that you used Comicvine stats to prove a point to someone who's read every single Static appearance and knows what the kid can do.

@ithinkitwasyou said:
Before, you said shooting lightning was manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum (when that was wrong, and yet, you still won't admit to that), but then admitted that no one knows the full extent of it (even when you acted like you knew better than all of the physics and scientists credited with putting all of it together). Now, you want to attack me with sarcasm in reference to my intelligence.  

Juicy. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:
Let's see Earlier in this debate you said Superman wasn't weakened by lightning, only magic lightning. I proved you wrong there.
There are actually examples of Superman withstanding lightning outside of fighting metahumans with electrical abilities. I've seen them. I don't know about you, though. i also never said that Superman wasn't weakened by lightning. I'm assuming you're smart enough to go back to first page to read exactly what I said before putting words in my mouth.  

@ithinkitwasyou said:
I've even explained strategy on how to do it. you have yet to argue your point of in the negative very well, while I have argued the affirmative effectively. 
Your explanation made sense. I won't lie. But, if you admit that were confused about what the electromagnetic spectrum was, it would make you look so much better in light of all this. 
give me an example of any electric based character who doesn't manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum to some degree. I can't think of one time where I stated or insinuated that I know more about the electromagnetic spectrum the physics professors. But in order to produce electromagnetic burst of energy (Lightning for example), you would need to have some conduit to do so. If Static was only capable of manipulating electricity and magnetism individually, than he wouldn't be able to manipulate metals that aren't Ferrous metals. So why would I admit that you're right about something you're not right about? The only thing your doing is boosting my post count, by arguing a moot point.
#48 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock said:
@ithinkitwasyou said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:

Juicy. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:
as a matter of fact, how about you explain to me the conduit in which Static replicates the affects of natural lightning, and by what means he does this without accessing the EM spectrum. If not through the EM spectrum, than by what medium is he doing this?
#49 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio
@ithinkitwasyou said:
give me an example of any electric based character who doesn't manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum to some degree.
Electro.  

Chain Lightning. 

Bolt.  

Jenny Sparks. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:
So why would I admit that you're right about something you're not right about? 
Considering your debate tactic, I wouldn't expect you to admit to anything.  

@ithinkitwasyou said:
as a matter of fact, how about you explain to me the conduit in which Static replicates the affects of natural lightning, and by what means he does this without accessing the EM spectrum. If not through the EM spectrum, than by what medium is he doing this?
How does it is simple. Manipulating electromagnetic force

How do you think lightning forms during the a thunderstorm? In cloud, there are particles that gain a positive charge while others gain a negative charge. These charged particles separate from each other (via and updraft and a downdraft) so that the upper part of the cloud is positive, while the lower part is negative. An electrical circuit is made when opposing charges connect with each other, and the end result is that electricity is discharged as lightning.  It's the same when there are positively charged particles on the Earth's surface. That's just one, very common theory as to how it happens. Another theory is that (for cloud-to-ground lightning), if the properties of air are overcome by these particles, the negatively-charged particles drop down to meet the positively-charged particles on the surface. Lightning would then be formed when positively-charged particles rise up to meet the negatively-charged particles in the air. 

At the same time, electromagnetic force is the cause of the interaction between electrically-charged particles (which is how lightning forms in a nutshell). If lightning is theorized to form this way, what makes you think Static doesn't do it the same way? Even then, the electromagnetic spectrum doesn't even govern the way lightning forms. 

@ithinkitwasyou said:
If Static was only capable of manipulating electricity and magnetism individually, than he wouldn't be able to manipulate metals that aren't Ferrous metals. 
That's the problem. Electromagnetism is a combination of both of those things, and that is what his power entails. Electromagnetic force, my friend. 

Manipulating the electromagnetic spectrum isn't the reason why he's able to manipulate metals that aren't ferrous. 
#50 Posted by ithinkitwasyou (682 posts) - - Show Bio
@Static Shock: It's been common knowledge that Electro can manipulate magnetic fields, as well as negate the telepathic abilities of an Omega Class Telepath through his manipulations of the electromagnetic spectrum.  A tactic Static has used before to avoid detection by telepaths, like Ms. Martian. 

So let me get your argument straight. 
Now you're saying "It's not the electromagnetic spectrum, it's electromagnetic force"
 As I said earlier. You're debating the difference between a chair and a seat. 
As I said last time, "Moot Point"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.