Follow

Starscream

Character » Starscream appears in 694 issues.

The second-in-command of the Decepticons. He seeks to rule, but is held back by his cowardice. Nevertheless, his ruthless efficiency, stealth, and speed on the battlefield make him a valuable ally. However, he is the complete opposite of fellow Decepticon Soundwave because of the fact that he is not truly loyal to Megatron and is one of the Decepticons Megatron truly doesn't trust. Yet even with all the treachery he always finds himself somewhat in Megatron's favor.

Which version of Starscream do you prefer?

IceMaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By IceMaiden

Movies/Comics/TV Show/etc 

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

as long as he is a backstabbing cut-throat then I'm happy. I mean that's the character.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xybernauts

G1, G2, and Best wars version from the cartoon shows. The movie version and the more recent cartoon versions have lost some integral aspect of his character. They know he's popular but to me it looks like they don't know why. 

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Rowen545

Does he even have a character in the movies? He has had about three lines in each movie. But yes I prefer him at maximum backstabbing

Shadowsnake89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Shadowsnake89

I enjoy the Cybertron and animated versions. They actually managed to dethrone Megatron for however long it lasted.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Generation 1 and Terrosaur (he was basically BW's Starscream)

Movie Starscream is dull. He has no personality whatsoever, to kids he'd just be; "lil Megatron"

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#7  Edited By AssertingValor

he looks cool whatever he looks like!.................................
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By MrDirector786

The only version of Starscream I don't really like was Armada version where all he wanted was to be respected. Cybertron version was pretty cool in that he was actually successful in acquiring power and was a threat to Megatron. I like most other versions as well.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrDirector786
    @rowen545 said:
    Does he even have a character in the movies? He has had about three lines in each movie. But yes I prefer him at maximum backstabbing
    He showed cowardice in the second movie which is one of his main characteristics. In the movie comics he also shoes a desire to replace Megatron, though that's not really shown in the movies themselves.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I always liked G1's portrayal of him best, seen the first Michael Bay transformers but can't remember how he was portrayed in it.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MrDirector786
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    I always liked G1's portrayal of him best, seen the first Michael Bay transformers but can't remember how he was portrayed in it.
    He had no character in the first movie at all. The second movie actually showed more of his character and I liked it because they showed off his cowardice. The movie comics actually show his desire to replace Megatron but that's not actually shown in the movies themselves.
    Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

I like the G1, Animated, and the Movie Starscream.  The Starscream during the Unicron Saga (Armada, Energon, and Cybertron) was just fangirl bait.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`

The best version is the G1 version, period.

The Toon Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The Toon Man

G1 would be the best version. All other versions of Starscream downgraded the characterization of him that G1 set in stone. Course, G1 comic book version was far more competent than G1 cartoon Starscream.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#15  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

The anti heroic Armada version was probably my favorite. G1 is cool as well

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sinestro2828

I like the G1 version of Starscream best, because even though he was way too open about his desire to overthrow Megatron in the cartoon, he was still skilled, crafty, & dangerous to bot and con alike, unlike the Transformers Prime version of Starscream who's basically devolved into the incompetent comedy relief villain of the series who miraculously avoids death despite having no redeeming features or notable skills. I just feel that past versions of Starscream had more to offer and that's why Megatron kept him around, whereas nowadays Megs has even less reason to keep sparing Screamer because he can't do anything right (its bad enough he's treacherous, but he's also treacherous & seriously lacking in skills, brainpower, & backbone).

I don't mind Screamer being no match for Megatron, but I feel that he should always be a credible threat, since he is/was apparently worthy of being Megatron's 2nd in command in many continuities up until his first act of betrayal (it makes Megatron seem dumb to have recruited Screamer as his righthand if he didn't have any skills that warranted him having such a high position).

P.S. I also like the TFA & Cybertron versions of Starscream since they're portrayed as being genuinely powerful rivals to Optimus & Megatron.

Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sinestro2828

@xybernauts said:

G1, G2, and Best wars version from the cartoon shows. The movie version and the more recent cartoon versions have lost some integral aspect of his character. They know he's popular but to me it looks like they don't know why.

I think you're right. In your opinion, what do you think made Starscream so popular originally that Hasbro seems to have forgotten? What has his character lost?

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xybernauts

@Sinestro2828: Actually, I wrote that comment a year ago. Since then I've seen significant improvements in Starscream's character and role on the show. Truthfully, I don't even remember what I didn't like about the Transformers Prime version of the character. He's demonstrated more depth in terms of his character. For example, I like how Starscream's was able to outmaneuver the Autobots using the Cybertronian relics and I like how he had a crisis of conscious regarding his ambitions to overthrow Megatron and the way he submitted to Megatron. Of course I expect and hope he'll eventually stab Megatron in the back again. And i loved how he intelligently used the human kids to force the Autobots to give up the keys. It shows his prowess as a tactician and how sinister and devious and how intelligent he is. The movie version is terrible. It was stupid the way they killed him in the last movie. With Megatron dead they could have made him to main villian in the next movie and used to opportunity to explore his character. Maybe he'll come back with dark energon or something.

cheese12614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cheese12614
    No Caption Provided

I personally prefer WFC starscream over the slobbering Micheal bayformer in the movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.