New Stargate series

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert C. Cooper, executive producer of SCI FI Channel's Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, confirmed to SCI FI Wire that he's developing a third series with the working title Stargate Universe, but remained quiet on details. (The project has not yet been picked up by any network, including SCI FI Channel.)

"It's being developed," Cooper said in an interview on the Vancouver, Canada, set of the two series. "Not a lot to say at the moment, other than it's ... not the characters from SG-1 or Atlantis. It's a completely third entity. The third series is born of the mythology that's been established."

Cooper added that the proposed third series will take place in the present day. "One thing that we think contributes to the success of the series and the concept behind the series is that it takes place in the here and now...

It's about us and our age of people dealing with fantastic things, like Stargates and wormholes and aliens. And then there's an identifiable quality to the people in the show. It's not like an antiseptic version of humanity sometime 500 years in the future. [SG-1's] Jack O'Neill [Richard Dean Anderson] was a guy who everybody could relate to, and his reactions to the more fantastic elements of the series were the reactions the average Joe on the street might have."

SG-1 and Atlantis executive producer Paul Mullie added: "It's all top secret."

The new series has been conceived to be "a completely separate, third entity," Cooper said in an interview "much more so than Atlantis was. Atlantis was much more of a spin-off series of SG-1 and was sort of born out of SG-1."

Like many of the producers ideas, Cooper said, the idea for Stargate Universe was originally conceived as a stand-alone movie. "When we originally were sitting around talking about this we were trying to come up with ideas for a Stargate feature -- not an SG-1 feature or an Atlantis feature, but a feature that would fit into the Stargate franchise that we feel we have created," Cooper said. "We were thinking, 'How do we create a third arm to the franchise that is very connective and that fans will feel is born out of the material that has come before, but at the same time is very much something that stands alone?'

"When it became clear that a third series was a more realistic possibility at this point from the studio's standpoint, we figured out how to tweak that idea and give it a little more legs than it would have had as a one-off story. We always, in the back of our minds even in coming up with that concept, felt that it could launch a third series... But now that idea has become the core idea for the new show."

Stargate Universe will not be set in a different era, Cooper confirmed, neither as a prequel nor in the far future of the Stargate program.

"I'm not a big fan of prequels," he said. "I don't think that really works, and I don't really understand people who do think that works. One of the things that we love about Stargate is that is us... it's our military, it's our scientists, it's our people... and we're going out into the galaxy and the universe to discover all the wonders that are out there, and dealing with our own limitations versus things that are far more advanced than us.

"That's identifiable. It's what we deal with every day, in terms of medicine and science and astrophysics. We're just babies in all that. And we would always want to maintain that in anything that is Stargate-related."

In spite of being quite distinct in identity from SG-1 and Atlantis, the new series will be unmistakably Stargate. "It certainly plays into the mythology that has been pre-established," Cooper said. "But it doesn't directly relate to anything that has been in either series."

Cooper and executive producer Brad Wright plan to turn more attention to the new show's pilot script after wrapping principal photography on the two Stargate SG-1 movies, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum this June.

Fans have long wondered why the ninth and final chevron was created by the Ancients, since normal gate addresses only utilize seven of them. The eighth chevron adds an extra distance calculation, allowing the team to establish a stable wormhole to a Stargate in another galaxy. It was first used in SG-1 Season Two's "The Fifth Race."

Cooper also said that the third series "is very active in development. MGM is currently putting financing together. The goal is to have it out in the marketplace in early 2008, which means that we have to start writing very soon. The hold-up has really been the movies -- Brad and I are busy. When we are done with Continuum and Ark of Truth we're going to turn our attention to that pretty seriously."

Whatever form the series takes, viewers can definitely expect the same familiar form that has made the franchise a 10-year-old success. "There will be a Stargate, and a team on adventures," Cooper said. "I can tell you what it won't be, which is it really won't be as much of a spin-off of SG-1 as Atlantis was. And it won't be a spin-off of Atlantis. It's going to be a third arm of the franchise that will really stand alone and I think be an entirely new flavor from what we've done before."

Just what the Stargate's ninth chevron does and how it might relate to Stargate Universe fans can only speculate.

More spoilers to come as they come to me :D

M
Post Edited:2008-02-27 11:54:25

#2 Posted by Eraser (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos, do you watch Battlestar Galactica?

#3 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

nah, never really got into it

M

#4 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio
The images show a bit of the new ship that will figure prominently in the show. Stargate Universe centers on a simple reconnaissance mission that turns into a never-ending quest as a new crew of Stargate explorers gates onto the Destiny, an Ancient ship that is unable to return to Earth. They will travel to the far reaches of the universe, encountering new races, enemies and adventures.

The shuttle bridge

Corridor hub

The airlock door

An Ancient console

caption
Award-winning Scottish actor Robert Carlyle (The Full Monty) has been cast in the leading role of Dr. David Rush on SCI FI Channel's new original series Stargate Universe, the latest adventure in the Stargate franchise produced by MGM television.

Production will begin in Vancouver, Canada, in February 2009, with an eye to a summer 2009 premiere. Additional casting is currently underway. Described as edgier and younger in tone than the two previous series, Universe follows a band of soldiers, scientists and civilians who must fend for themselves as they are forced through a Stargate when their hidden base comes under attack.

The desperate survivors emerge aboard an Ancient ship missing in the far reaches of space. As they fight to survive, Dr. Rush (Carlyle) works to unlock the mysteries of the ship and return the group home, but evidence of his ulterior motives soon arises.

Brad Wright and Robert Cooper--co-creators of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis, who both currently serve as executive producers on Atlantis--will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

Universe is executive-produced by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, the co-creators of Universe's predecessor series Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. SCI FI Channel plans to begin production of the show in early 2009 and debut it next summer with a two-hour premiere.

M

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Robert Carlyle in Stargate? I never would have figured....

#6 Posted by King Saturn (224190 posts) - - Show Bio
Wow... thats simply Hot Sh!t
#7 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

not again :[

#8 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

HOLY CRAP!!!!

I just saw the teaser trailer on scifi of this and DAMMIT another show i must watch. And im simply watching it for Robert cause well since Ravonous i have LOVED his acting

#9 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else watch the pilot to this series?

i'll be the first one to say "Holy crap, i was so wrong..."

For so long i had been blasting this as basically Stargate: Voyager... i saw it being basically a ripoff of Star Trek Voyager or Battlestar Galacta... i was soooo wrong it is unbelievable...

Universe showed so much potential it was mindboggling, the characters were actually intriguing and well thought out, the introduction episode was amazingly well done and the new ideas about the Ancients showed a nice, fresh and innovatiove take on the Stargate Universe :D

M

#10 Posted by ryanwh (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was interesting. I don't like how multiple people die in Stargate pilots then nobody important dies the rest of the season. As long as the planet on the other side of that gate doesn't have flora exactly like earth and aliens that look exactly like humans, I'll keep watching.

#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm actually looking forward to the next episode now... it looks extremely interesting...

i do hope we'll get to see stuff from back on earth, the SGC and Atlantis teams trying to help rescue them

M

#12 Posted by jamesewelch (616 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a bit worried when I saw the commercials and trailers. After watching the first episode, I think it might be okay. I don't really see any particular member of the cast that really stands out as a cool character concept. I'm hoping that the series will keep in contact with the rest of the SGC every now and then. It really helped me when they had a few of the SG1 team make guest appearances. I'm still not completely sold on the "lost in space" pretense of the series, but I'll probably watch at least a few more episodes before coming to a final conclusion on it.

#13 Posted by Ownerz (1122 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos said:

" i'm actually looking forward to the next episode now... it looks extremely interesting...  i do hope we'll get to see stuff from back on earth, the SGC and Atlantis teams trying to help rescue them  M "

*spoilers*

I was reading up on it
We get to see Earth again through a character played by Lou Diamond Phillips, there's some serious body switching going on

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Intergalactic_communication_device

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Stargate_Universe
#14 Posted by BatDance (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

trailer

#15 Posted by lordhaseoanimevice.com!!! (227 posts) - - Show Bio

i love stargate universe!!!

#16 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

right... 

so now we're a series in, what do people actually think of SGU? 

Personally, i'm absolutely loving it :D 

M

#17 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, this show is awesomeness. It's really a welcome turn from the slightly not-so-serious Atlantis IMO. 

Long time no see, Methos. : )

#18 Posted by ComicMan24 (147091 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a very nice show. And a lot different than the previous Stargate series. A lot darker and more psychological. I am still watching the 1st season and I like it.

#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

hey Phantom 

yeah, SGU is a damn good show... loving season 2 currently... 

Rush is such an awesome character :D 

M

#20 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never watched Stargate before since I could never really get into it but Stargate Universe is one of my favorite shows on tv right now...along with Caprica

#21 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio

wow...I wish more people would talk about this show....I feel like I must have missed an episode or something...the last episode I saw was part of the crew getting trapped on the second Ancient ship with those aliens as the Destiny ftl'd away...now tonight's episode has everyone back on the Destiny...did I miss something???

#22 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

" wow...I wish more people would talk about this show "
there isn't much to talk about in my opinion. I was really disappointed.
#23 Posted by danhimself (22547 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:
"

@danhimself said:

" wow...I wish more people would talk about this show "
there isn't much to talk about in my opinion. I was really disappointed. "
why?  I never liked any of the old Stargate shows...they were always to cheesey for me....this show is completely different though...reminds me a lot of the new BSG series
#24 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8858 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" why? "
It doesn't have anything I like about Stargate. None of the characters appealed to me and the show is just trying too hard at something it shouldn't be.
@danhimself said:
"   I never liked any of the old Stargate shows...they were always to cheesey for me"
I'm a big fan of SG-1, that show was fun all accross the board. Atlantis had a lot of problems that made me not like it. But universe just isn't anything like what I'm looking for in a Stargate show.
@danhimself said:
reminds me a lot of the new BSG series "
The new Battlestar has a lot of good moments. But the moment the "everyone is a cylon" plague started I just dropped.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.