Follow

Starfire

Character » Starfire appears in 2155 issues.

Formerly warrior Princess Koriand'r of the now-destroyed planet Tamaran, Starfire found a new home on Earth and a new family in the Teen Titans. She was once romantically involved with Dick Grayson, and often dealt with hostilities from her older sister Blackfire. Starfire has also served with many other teams such as the Outsiders, Justice League, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Jason Todd's Outlaws.

Who is Starfire's True Love?

• 106 results
    wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#51  Edited By wessaari

@daboyfromsaturn said:

I dont really know if it should be Dick, definitely not Roy he's a dick. You gotta remember that Dick had a relationship with Barbara Gordon maybe after reboot they're still in love.

Do you mean in the New 52, because if so than im sorry to say that both Dick and Babs have mentioned that they werent together, THOUGH they both had/have feelings for each other but just never expressed those feelings. I would love for Dick and Babs to get back together, especially since i dont like his new potential love interest, who is the daughter of the man that killed his parents! It remains to be seen if they are in love, but i would like nothing more for that to be the case

WonderHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By WonderHunter

In Teen Titans i loved Kori and Dick together :( a lot. But if they aren't meant to be together in all this new issues, then all i want for Starfire is happyness. Maybe with some space hero (that will be awesome)

Dick and Kori didn't end THAT bad. The guy say he will always have a place for her in his heart. Man, all i want is for some writer that honor their story, even if they take different paths. They where really importart for each other, and see they treat her in such a heartless way while he is moving on.... it's quite painful. It's one of the things i like of RHATO (i like the new badass things they give to Kori, but i don't like the way they portray her as a person). And i must say, the part when she is without powers, crying for Richard in the snow.... brought tears to my eyes :'( damn you DC. Damn you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@End_Boss: Not really true, for preboot Kori of the New52 version.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By Yung ANcient One

the relationship was due to Starfire's unexplainable memory loss, and Dick Grayson having not mentioned Kori in the pages of Nightwing

Her memory lost was accidentally taken away once the universe had a timeflux that fluxed everything up, and created New52. I hear on this Universe Tim was never a Robin.

All the puns are funny. XD

BUt Dam Dick is quite a Lady Killer. Keep knocking em down. THey love that $#!%.

(+)

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By End_Boss

@divingfalcon713: I'm assuming your comment was meant to say that Kori wasn't a huge slut pre-New 52. But she is now. Like a huge slut. I mean, Dick Grayson is a huge slut too, so maybe it makes sense that one huge slut ought to end up with another? I dunno. My comment about Starfire not being able to truly love a human stands, though. There's even a couple panels in the first Red Hood & the Outlaws trade (New 52) in which Kori explains how she feels about humanity and why she can't really remember anyone after a set period of time (her reasoning being that it would basically be like us trying to remember the individual faces of gnats we've encountered).

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Onemoreposter

@theTimeStreamer said:

she loves dick

yep...she never could seem to get enough dick.....

but you have to remember, dick is in high demand. huntress wanted dick, oracle wanted dick, you know donna t wanted dick but she just never came out and said it.

in the end though, these women are going to have to find something more than dick to satisfy them

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By wessaari

@End_Boss said:

@divingfalcon713: I'm assuming your comment was meant to say that Kori wasn't a huge slut pre-New 52. But she is now. Like a huge slut. I mean, Dick Grayson is a huge slut too, so maybe it makes sense that one huge slut ought to end up with another? I dunno. My comment about Starfire not being able to truly love a human stands, though. There's even a couple panels in the first Red Hood & the Outlaws trade (New 52) in which Kori explains how she feels about humanity and why she can't really remember anyone after a set period of time (her reasoning being that it would basically be like us trying to remember the individual faces of gnats we've encountered).

i think u r missing the point. Kori and her people view sex differently than our standards. It is another way they share knowldge, language and info. She has always been somewhat flirtatious, and slept with guys at random in pre new 52. Heck she was married twice. Plus she has only slept with one guy since the series has started, and they are in a somewhat relationship. So i dont see how she is a slut, because frankly sluts abuse their bodies with mindless sex with random guys. Now i know that could possibly categorize Kori in their, but once again her standards and social culture about sex are completely differnt than ours.

Her explanation of being self defining didnt explain her memory problem, it explained why she isnt so hung up on Dick. She is saying that if she gave away her power to one person (he would have to be worth it) and she would give up her power to be self-defining, meaning she would be defined by who she was with. Now i dont really agree with that, since im a hopeless romantic, but that is they way she is. I would have preffered her to have her memory intact, but beggars cant be choosers. It hasnt been perfectly explained, but the fact that she still remembers Dick to an extent, even to go so far as to whimper his name when she lost her powers, means alot. She is grateful for the time that she has with him, but she isnt going to waste her life in pursuit of him. I hope they do cross paths in the future, and the explanantion on why they arent together is fully revealed, but for now im just going with the flow. The fact is that Kori's whole culture and views on sexuality dont match our standards, and you need to think past the fact that she had a night stand (which turned into a relationship btw), and more on that she is differnt than us.

P.S. i hope i didnt come off as a jerk, because that looks like a huge rant, im just trying to explain it to you. If you still think that she's a slut, well i cant change that opinion, but im not gonna force mine on yours

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By wessaari

@Onemoreposter said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

she loves dick

yep...she never could seem to get enough dick.....

but you have to remember, dick is in high demand. huntress wanted dick, oracle wanted dick, you know donna t wanted dick but she just never came out and said it.

in the end though, these women are going to have to find something more than dick to satisfy them

i litreally laughed out loud

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By End_Boss

@wessaari: Well, I was calling both Starfire and Dick sluts in a playful way. It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I do understand the bit about Kori and how she experiences sex differently, but from a human's perspective she... Sleeps with a lot of people. Dick Grayson has no excuse. And as for her only sleeping with one person since the series started, you are mistaken on that one. She has slept with at least two, those two being Jason Todd and Arsenal (whatever his real name is). The shaggings in question can both be found in the first RH&TA trade.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wessaari

@End_Boss said:

@wessaari: Well, I was calling both Starfire and Dick sluts in a playful way. It wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. I do understand the bit about Kori and how she experiences sex differently, but from a human's perspective she... Sleeps with a lot of people. Dick Grayson has no excuse. And as for her only sleeping with one person since the series started, you are mistaken on that one. She has slept with at least two, those two being Jason Todd and Arsenal (whatever his real name is). The shaggings in question can both be found in the first RH&TA trade.

oh ya, Dick is a slut. Dick can literally not keep his own Dick in his pants. He just made out with the daughter of the man who killed his parents..... he is that desperate.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By End_Boss

@wessaari: Yeah, I'm starting to think that Dick has just become a vessel for all of the nerdy fantasies that fester in the minds of his writers.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By wessaari

@End_Boss said:

well actually, and i know im coming off as a hardcore fan here so forgive me but Kori and Jason never slept together. Lobdell said in an interview that Jason lied about that to keep Roy from pulling a move, and as it turned out Kori was the one who just blatanly asked for it. So in our terms, ya she is a slut, but she is an alien where sex is candy on her home pplanet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people think that if I woman initiates sex that she's a slut? 1) Kori has not slept with that many people. Just because she wears a revealing outfit does not mean she grabs random dudes off the street to screw. Before flashpoint she had only slept with like four people, two of them she was married to. 2) Back to what I said earlier, just because she asked Roy to have sex with her does not make her a slut. If she asked a different dude in every issue to sleep with her the way she asked Roy then she would be a slut. She is in a monogamous relationship with him. That is the exact opposite of slutty.

SweetyTaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Hope in the new 52 Starfire and Nightwight(Dick grayson) tell how they feel and get back together..because i believe that dick still have feelings for her as you can read in wikipedia whe he says he doesn't love her anymore but ''he can't believe what he said''....
    I believe that Dick Grayson is Koriand'rs true love!

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AColombia

@sweetytaste: completely agree! Also when he said at he said he didn't love her in a way that meant forever thats how she asked, he loved her but wasn't as committed as she. But he did still love her he wouldn't of hinted at wanting to renew their relationship if he didn't. In the new 52 it shows they were happy and in love just broke up badly. And he told jason I'm RHATO 17 that he didn't want to get close to anyone cus of some pain and to watch over her that indicates her cares. She's with Roy but it's hinted she's still in love with Dick.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By AColombia

@lifeofvibe: what's bull? Read back to titans issue 5 she specifically asks him if he loves her in a forever way. But it was also stated he was hinting at wanting to renew their relationship. Why would he hint at that of he didn't give a crap at all about her? He may not have loved her as much anymore but that didn't mean he didn't care. In the reboot she's mentioned multiple times she remembers loving someone, that they spend day and night together and were happy RHATO issue 6. And issue 17 why would he tell Todd to take care of her and say he didn't want to get close to anyone at the moment. If he didn't give a crap he'd go in and just ignore her. And she lied about her memory loss e new writer stated that and she and Arsenal broke up cus she did in fact remember her past lovers including Dick, but she lied and he wanted honestly despite her maybe having her reasons. These are facts look up the issues I mentioned or on wiki about why Arsenal broke it off. And if you don't wanna believe it your problem not mine. Just cus I don't see things ur way doesn't mean what I said was bs or wrong.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acolombia: I believe you and the bad part about that is that now I want starfire out of outlaws

P.s I've only read the trades

P.s.s thanks for the info...

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AColombia

@daboyfromsaturn: according to the new continuity they've never dated. And supposedly there's feelings between them but he's always had a thing for both of them, example, in the old DCU, he still loved Babs after they broke up and they'd flirt after, yet after sleeping with Kori for, the sons of Trigon influence thing, there was still a deep connection between them, it's not so cut and dry that he's only ever loved just Babs or just Kori. He loved them at different times of his life and has always had a thing for both they've both been special to him. If it may be Dick in the future we will see they haven't really gone over how they broke up or seen them interact the writers said they'd flesh that out soon, and agreed Roy is a dick, he broke it off with her anyway.

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AColombia

@lifeofvibe: oh didn't know sorry if I came off a bit intense lol. But look up those issues you'll see what I'm talking about, and I've wanted Starfire out of Outlaws since the beginning if you see how they treated her at first....god. Hoping they'll take her out eventually.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Jason Todd lol

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#73 god_spawn  Moderator

Jason Todd is incredibly doubtful. -_-.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Todd is incredibly doubtful. -_-.

It's the fan boy in me lol

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: storys to be told as I said storys to be told but yea doubtul

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76  Edited By waezi2

@thecrowbar: I don't think so. She once had a boyfriend called Franklin who were her first love. She had feelings for Dick after meeting him for the first time, but Dick turned her down because he had a self esteem crisis at the moment. Franklin, unfortunately, were hired by a H.I.V.E. agent to get the Titans in a trap. Franklin were killed because he refused to go through with the plan.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

prefer starfire with grayson.

AColombia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mega_spidey01: agreed. But u never know she and Roy broke up, Jason's off on his League thing. Dick and Starfire have yet to interact and its been hinted there are still feelings between them any things possible

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd say the main reason Dick and Star don't stay together is because DC doesn't want to mess with the formula for their characters. Nightwing is mostly street level villains and psychopaths with a few assassins here and there and deals with the problems of a normal man. The world he has while with Starfire doesn't fit with the mainly human world his comics are written around. It's likely the same reason Batman and Wonder woman's relationship was shut down and why Marvel won't let Spider-man date anyone who is not completely written around his character.

Dubvoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Dubvoight

It's Grayson and it always will be

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Dick Grayson is her true love, she love him even when he isnt interrested on her.

@daredevil21134:

They never had anything with each other.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

Dick Grayson is her true love, she love him even when he isnt interrested on her.

@daredevil21134:

They never had anything with each other.

Who never had anything?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@daredevil21134:

Starfire and Red Hood

I'm aware of that.But he said he did and even though it was never shown on panel I get the feeling he did.I can't prove it and it's purely speculation.Also,my above comment said it was the fan boy in me so it was meant to be taken seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134:

That didnt happen. He lied to Arsenal, nothing happen between of them and when Jason might said they had sex what really happen was he and Starfire spent all night talking about Starfire and Red Hood´s past.

Nodikittykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i would love to see her with Jason Todd. I mean, they were basically shipped in Red hood and the outlaws #6. but the only reason Starfire would love him is because he would almost act like another, slightly different version of dick. even with ginger hair and all of the stuff.

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She needs Dick

Nodikittykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wessaari: i literally just started having a giggle spasm after reading this comment

CrimsonTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By CrimsonTitan

Ok, let me first off start by saying I know I'm quite a bit late to this party, but I wanted to drop my two cents worth. First, I have to say that overall, I really like MOST of what decent has done in Rebirth/New 52 continuity, with there literally being only 3 exceptions so far. The first, was what they've done to Hal Jordan & Carrol Ferris' relationship in GL, having those two split up for quite possibly the flimsiest reason I've ever heard, just so they can troll Hal's character and pair her with Kyle Rayner of all people. You wanna talk about a dick move, that award has to go Kyle Rayner at this point. Arsenal/Roy Harper isn't the only guy who's broken the bro code. The other two exceptions, are Nightwing and Starfire's character. I HATE that DC STILL has these characters split up, when they obviously had excellent chemistry together. I still believe til this day that they only reason they aren't married now, is because the writers during the Titans series had personal preferences/bias' that they put over what the fans really want. Which is typical of MOST comic writers in general, and differentiates American comic writers from Japanese mangaka (comic writers), the Japanese authors at least LISTEN to what their fan base likes.

That said, I've never liked the Starfire/Arsenal pairing since I first read about it, and I can't believe that branched Nightwing away from the Bat family and has kept him away from meeting Starfire, just to stick him with a glorified graffiti artist that literally NO ONE cares about or has ever had any interest in?? At least Arsenal has some relevance to recent continuity. They (DC writers) LITERALLY plucked a character from obscurity to pair with a character as iconic to DC as Nightwing??? Absolutely ridiculous. Also, to those who say that Nightwing/Dick Grayson hasn't mentioned her at all, that's actually false. He did mention her while he was reflecting on his then current relationship with what's-her-name, after she revealed to him that she was possibly pregnant. The only thing is that while he does reference Starfire, he appears to refer to her in more a type of teenage romance type thing that he simply outgrew or something stupid. All of this said, I'm a fan of both the Nightwing/Starfire AND the Dick/Babs pairings, and I'm not sure if I could pick from either one. But I will say this, I absolutely do NOT like what they've done with either character, not in the least.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd go with Dick and Starfire due to their history before new 52, and that daughter Nightstar

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Glaucus
    Loading Video...

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I created a Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire thread at Comic Vine.

It shows a great deal about the history between Dick and Kory.

I posted many comic pictures about their interactions with each other in regards to love and caring as well as the thoughts and feelings of how they were affected by each other. They are from comic issues from the 1980s,1990s Teen Titans,Titans series.

I also posted a few videos too.

It was about defending the Dick/Kory ship.

I wanted to raise a rebuttal to the accusations that it was based on lust.

It was definitely based on love and caring.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-titans/4060-19081/forums/dick-graysonnightwing-and-koriandrstarfire-1975639/

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Glaucus

@aros001 said:

I'd say the main reason Dick and Star don't stay together is because DC doesn't want to mess with the formula for their characters. Nightwing is mostly street level villains and psychopaths with a few assassins here and there and deals with the problems of a normal man. The world he has while with Starfire doesn't fit with the mainly human world his comics are written around. It's likely the same reason Batman and Wonder woman's relationship was shut down and why Marvel won't let Spider-man date anyone who is not completely written around his character.

but Nightwing and Starfire were each other's love interests from 1980 to 1993

Batman and Wonder Woman never had that type of significant history

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Glaucus

@acolombia said:

@lifeofvibe: what's bull? Read back to titans issue 5 she specifically asks him if he loves her in a forever way. But it was also stated he was hinting at wanting to renew their relationship. Why would he hint at that of he didn't give a crap at all about her? He may not have loved her as much anymore but that didn't mean he didn't care. In the reboot she's mentioned multiple times she remembers loving someone, that they spend day and night together and were happy RHATO issue 6. And issue 17 why would he tell Todd to take care of her and say he didn't want to get close to anyone at the moment. If he didn't give a crap he'd go in and just ignore her. And she lied about her memory loss e new writer stated that and she and Arsenal broke up cus she did in fact remember her past lovers including Dick, but she lied and he wanted honestly despite her maybe having her reasons. These are facts look up the issues I mentioned or on wiki about why Arsenal broke it off. And if you don't wanna believe it your problem not mine. Just cus I don't see things ur way doesn't mean what I said was bs or wrong.

Those are good points.

She didn't just simply ask "Do you love me?"

and then he goes "No"

She asked the question about loving her in a forever way

She lives and experiences very deeply and far more intense than a human being, and so it would be natural for Dick to not feel as deeply and intense as her that he could not give her the answer that she wanted to hear

I just take it that Dick has denial about his own feelings for her. In the 1980s Teen Titan comics, he did deny about his romantic feelings to her in the past right before she started a relationship with Franklin who met her while she was doing model work. It wasn't until she was captured by Komand'r and beaten almost to death that he realized that he loved her. Another dangerous, near death experience could awaken the realization of his romantic feelings for her.

In the Starfire comic, Dick and Kory also shared a mutual passionate lip-lock kiss in the Starfire comic. That wasn't a kiss between friends. That was a kiss between lovers.

I actually liked his goodbye kiss to her on the cheek. It was done in a sweet and caring way. Obviously, she means a lot to him.

I just don't think Dick's connection with Barbara is just as profound and meaningful as the connection he had with Kory in the 1980s,1990s.

Barbara didn't help Dick with growth and maturity that Kory did. Kory and Dick are opposites that complement one another. They taught each other and learned from each other.

It's also possible to use the excuse that he has fear of being with an alien woman who challenges his values as well as is a threat to his secret identity.

He could think Barbara and any other human woman is safer and practical choice.

He's going with his only his head and not going with also his heart.

When they broke up back in 1994, it wasn't out of not loving each other any more. It was the result of evil Trigon influenced Raven crashing their wedding and killing the minister right before he pronounced them husband and wife and drove Kory crazy to the point that she did a spiritual initiation that led to an awakening that she became a shaman. She forgot her old life. When she regained her memories, she felt that Earth was no longer her home.

Of course, all this crap was the result of changing the happy wedding plans for Dick and Kory after Batman editorial office took back Dick from the Teen Titans editorial office.

The way that their relationship ended in 1994 could be something that blocks Dick from following his heart. He doesn't want to experience that pain when she left Earth.

He was actually sad when she left him a note telling her that she was leaving Earth when they working together in the Justice League shortly before she ended up in R.E.B.E.L.S

If I was a writer that bring them back together, I use those aforementioned events to factor into what's blocking Dick from getting together with Kory. I'd have Kory tell Dick how she really feels about him and all the pain that she's experienced from his not loving her. She angrily lashes out at Dick who reciprocates in kind and brings up the past events which leads to Kory walking out. For some time, they act like they cannot stand each other, but they are secretly just feeling hurt. They desire each other, but they don't want to admit it. It takes a dangerous mission that leads to life threatening event that makes them realize that they love and need each other.

Dick and Kory are a couple in the DC Animated Movie Universe. They look great together. They have such great chemistry in Teen Titans: Judas Contract.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Glaucus

My posting was in defense of Kory and how she has been screwed over to pump up Barbara as Dick's one true love.

It was about defending Dick/Kory as well as Kory as a character by clearing up misconconceptions about their relationship being about just attraction,lust,and a meaningless romance. I even posted a link to the comic vine thread that I made about them that has a lot of comic book pictures showing that their relationship was based on love and caring.

I put in a lot of time and work to copy pictures from many comic book pages and insert them in my thread. I wanted to provide visual proof to support my defense of Dick/Kory ship and Kory. There is a lot of it. I even inserted youtube videos that showed their relationship in depth. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/teen-titans/4060-19081/forums/dick-graysonnightwing-and-koriandrstarfire-1975639/

I believe that Kory needed defending due to the damage that has been done to her reputation as a character and to her romantic relationship history with Dick. She's not the heartless alien slut that got in Barbara's way to get with Dick. She is a super-powered alien warrior princess who overcome her past as a slave and still had a big heart and wanted to help others not go through what she went through, and that was one of things that made Dick fall in love with her. She opened him up and helped him express his emotions better. He helped her with restraint and to live on earth.

All one has to do is read the New Teen Titans,Tales of the New Teen Titans, and The New Titans from 1980 to 1994 to see that all this is true. All one has to do is look at the comic pictures at my thread to see that I am not lying.

Unlike Dick/Barbara, Dick/Kory didn't have any retcons to develop their relationship as a true love pairing,let alone at another pairings expense. Their relationship was developed slowly and gradually. It took a little over 2 years in real time for them to get together, and they became one of the most popular and iconic couples in DC comics. They were each other's love interest for 14 years. No retcons are going to erase that type of history.

If a pairing is true love, then retcons to diminish the greatness of another pairing is not needed.

One poster made a great explanation of how Barbara got elevated as Dick's main love interest at Kori's expense:

Dick ‘chose’ Babs since most of his writers either are more familiar with that relationship, prefer that relationship, put them together because DC editorial wanted them to, think that Babs is his default love interest or just don’t know much about Dick and Kory and assume that the DickKory relationship is pure lust (which for the record, it isn’t).

This is a fairly complicated reply, mainly because the answer relies on a combination of canon, characterisation and the comics/editing outside (aka in the real world). Also I’m admitting it now that I’m much more biased towards Dick and Kory (The New Teen Titans was the first comic series I fully completed and I prefer their relationship to Dick and Barbara).

Pre-flashpoint Real World: Nightwing and Starfire were originally going to get married. When that plan failed, Nightwing's character was put into limbo for a year or so, with a couple of guest appearances, before he was finally given a mini-series and then his own proper series. Since his botched wedding was a pretty big failure and the New Titansseries had declined in popularity and general writing quality, DC and Dixon basically tried to separate the idea of Nightwing and the Titans. That's why Kory (Starfire) is rarely mentioned in that series, despite the fact that she was his canon girlfriend (and eventual fiancé) for something like five years in canon, and the fact that he was 100% fully in love with her and seemed pretty comfortable with the idea of spending the rest of his life with her. Anyway, Dixon needed to lessen the DickKory relationship, and so he did that through a series of (poor) retcons, rarely mentioning her, or belittling her in order to boost up Babs/whatever other love interest.

The writers wanted to push for the whole 'Dick and Babs were soulmates from the moment they met' and so the result of that was a bunch of retcons, slowly erasing a big portion of the DickKory relationship and also making characters like Bruce and Babs hate Kory/make snide comments about her, despite it being really out of character for them.

Pre-flashpoint Canon: That's why it suddenly felt like he 'fell out of love with Starfire', because Dick went from wanting to marry her and spend the rest of his life with her (although the actual marriage was impulsive, but that's a can of worms for another day) to suddenly declaring that Barbara Gordon had always been 'the one' and was 'above the others' and barely mentioning Kory (and if she was mentioned, it was some sort of belittling comment about their relationship). Dick was retconned as always holding out some sort of hope for Babs to love him, and Kory became ‘slutty alien who got in the way of DickBabs’ :/

Post-flashpoint Real World: Dick and Kory’s history was mentioned, but since they were on different teams and the Titans had been retconned out, their relationship has barely been explored and so I can’t really help you much with that. Their relationship still had fans (mainly due to Robin/Starfire in the animated show) and so DC mentioned Nightwing and Starfire dating, but that was mainly it since most of what Scott Lobdell wrote is currently/has been retconned. Nightwing and Babs are popular, too, and since the pre-flashpoint universe ended with Babs and Dick almost getting married, it makes sense that DC would keep on pushing for Dick and Babs.

Post-flashpoint Canon: Dick and Kory presumably didn’t date that long, and their relationship has been mentioned like four times (with most of them being from Kory’s side of things; Tim Seeley has only mentioned DickKory when he needs something to compare Dick and Shawn with). Dick and Babs connection has been much stronger since they crossed a lot more in the Batfamily books. However Dick and Babs (as far as I’m aware) have romantic tension, but haven’t actually dated before (yet) so he’s presumably ‘chosen’ Babs since his relationship with Kory has currently been written as something that was one-sided and Babs has been seen as his ‘soulmate/ultimate love interest.’

(also if you got this far, props to you! personally I find Dick and Babs too similar in the fact that they both repress their emotions too much, and so I think their relationship wouldn't work out/would suffer as a result of that. Babs always struck me as the kind of person who didn't like needing people emotionally and enjoys her independence, whereas Dick has always been the kind of character who at heart, needs people and a strong emotional connection, and therefore after a while they'd be stuck in a situation where one of them would have to sacrifice their emotional needs to make the relationship work).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nightwing/comments/5zz3jr/why_did_nightwing_choose_babs_over_starfire/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.