Follow

Starfire

Character » Starfire appears in 2156 issues.

Formerly warrior Princess Koriand'r of the now-destroyed planet Tamaran, Starfire found a new home on Earth and a new family in the Teen Titans. She was once romantically involved with Dick Grayson, and often dealt with hostilities from her older sister Blackfire. Starfire has also served with many other teams such as the Outsiders, Justice League, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Jason Todd's Outlaws.

Starfire?!

Ndtiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ndtiger

I can't say I read all of them. Frankly, I just don't have the money for that (I'm in college, don't judge me). But from the ones that I have read, it seems like the new 52 has touched down at a nice balancing point: some issues have exceeded my expectations (Batman, The Dark Knight, Superboy, Flash), some have been okay, making some understandable changes but dragging some weaknesses in as well (Teen Titans), and some have done some things that I just cannot wrap my head around.

People have written pretty extensively about the problems with Catwoman and Red Hood and the Outlaws, and I don't think I'm enough of an authority to even begin to get into that. Were they over the top? Sure. Did they serve a purpose? Maybe (at least in the case of Starfire in the Outlaws, I haven't been able to bring myself to read Catwoman yet). But to me the issue does not have much to do with the appropriateness of the content, although those arguments do not fall on deaf ears with me--I get it, and I most certainly have no need to read Catwoman after hearing about it. The issue for me falls on the context: was the moment true to the character?

In Red Hood and the Outlaws, readers are presented with an entirely new Starfire, one who isn't "tied down" as she would put it. She's strong, she's confident, and...well, she's kind of a tramp that compliments Jason Todd and Roy Harper's a$$hole vibes. None of that really bothered me--at her core, Starfire is strong, confident, and pretty sexually open. What I had a problem with was the complete openness, to the point where she has dropped her friends because she simply cannot be bothered to remember them. The changes of the New 52 seemed like they were designed to take characters to their roots, change some details to make them more modern and easier to grasp, and introduce them to a new generation of fans. But an uncaring Starfire is nothing that I want to have any part in. She had been one of my favorite characters, and seeing a Starfire that seems to have lost her compassion is heartbreaking. Does she remember what it felt like to save a little girl from being hit by a car? Can she empathize with a civilian long enough to save his/her life? I honestly could not tell you yes to that, and that scares me. As a long time Teen Titans fan (they brought me into comics in the first place), I have to say that she's being mishandled.

It hurts me, deep down in my plums.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

ok seriously, we have about 5 million threads devoted to those. couldnt you have posted this on one of them instead of taking up forum space

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Ndtiger: ok, i've been giving my take on the Starfire situation a lot, and frankly i think people are jumping to conclusions from a first issue, here's my take on it 

in the previous Dc universe, Starfire has pretty much developed as much as possible, she's been in the Teen Titans, Justice League and Outsiders, she's made friends, and learned how to live on earth, heck she even got married, there wasn't much to do with her, so what do Dc do? they start over. my take is that this starfire is alien in every sense of the word. it's not that she doesn't bother to remember her previous bonds, as stated in the comics, she physically can't, Jason said Tamaranians think differently than humans, humans don't really register to them. As for the promiscuity, Starfire herself stated that in her culture, love had nothing to do with sex, this leads me to believe that her entire race are much more open about their sexuality, so to her, there's nothing wrong with it. I think as the series progresses (at least i hope so) that she will learn once again what it means to be human, she will adopt Earth customs and learn the impact sex has on this world, as well as build more long lasting bonds, so i say, just relax, and wait to see what happens 
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By RainEffect
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: He's a new guy, go easy on him.
    Ndtiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By Ndtiger

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Yeah, sorry, I'm pretty new here. I didn't really know what it would do when it asked if I wanted to post it as a thread. Feel free to focus on the other better developed threads, this was just supposed to be a blog post :/

KenTheProfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KenTheProfile
    @Ndtiger

Brother welcome to the forms.  people on here a nice, some can be rough but it you got the balls to start post then you'll fit right in.

Catwoman and bruce got it on. and so what? that what adult together . you know this i know this. 
    the starfire thing was a little out of hand.

God Bless you
    Sinestro2828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinestro2828

I agree with you big time in regards to Starfire, I don't mind her being sexually active or being over Dick Grayson, what I do mind is the idea of her being without compassion and being unable to remember the names and faces of everyone whom she held dear as a Titan and Justice Leaguer, etc. How can they expect us to relate to or respect a Starfire who has the memory span of a goldfish and doesn't believe in love or emotional attachments? I can only hope that something will happen in story that will restore Starfire's memories and normal personality because I just cannot accept this new supposed aspect of Tamaranean phsyiology, it just undoes everything that was likable about her character in the first place (would they do something like this to Superman or Supergirl? hell no, how did they think fans of Starfire and fans of DC in general were gonna react to such an unappealing change?).

I also don't like Jason or Roy much for taking advantage of her flawed memory of themselves in order to get some sex with no strings attached

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

I say it more that once, we cant say what is going to happen for just one number.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThexX

@The Stegman said:

@Ndtiger: ok, i've been giving my take on the Starfire situation a lot, and frankly i think people are jumping to conclusions from a first issue, here's my take on it in the previous Dc universe, Starfire has pretty much developed as much as possible, she's been in the Teen Titans, Justice League and Outsiders, she's made friends, and learned how to live on earth, heck she even got married, there wasn't much to do with her, so what do Dc do? they start over. my take is that this starfire is alien in every sense of the word. it's not that she doesn't bother to remember her previous bonds, as stated in the comics, she physically can't, Jason said Tamaranians think differently than humans, humans don't really register to them. As for the promiscuity, Starfire herself stated that in her culture, love had nothing to do with sex, this leads me to believe that her entire race are much more open about their sexuality, so to her, there's nothing wrong with it. I think as the series progresses (at least i hope so) that she will learn once again what it means to be human, she will adopt Earth customs and learn the impact sex has on this world, as well as build more long lasting bonds, so i say, just relax, and wait to see what happens

Thank You said it right there

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By daredevil21134

lol

lightfright12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lightfright12

I agree that the colder Starfire is off-putting, but it's only issue one. Keep up with it to see if her new personality changes. She might return to "normal"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.