Lobdell has my total Respect, from now.

Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure whether all of you Starfire fans are keeping up with Red Hood and the Outlaws, since it is possible that most of you have dropped the book or not even picked it up after the angry outburst that was held all over the internet in regards to the book. I would like to say that after the last issue, RHATO #4 to be more precise since I know this will be kept in the internet for all of eternity, there was a revelation that makes me happy to have kept up with the book. I'm not going to spoil anything or at least try to, but needless to say that Lobdell has managed to turn around the cards he had initially dealt us with Starfire's "Goldfish" phase. Not that he did it because of the outburst, but he had planned it all along of course.

So it is with much respect that I officially take say that RHATO is one of my favorite books in the new DC Universe and that you should give it a try if you haven't because you were worried about certain characters being mistreated.

Do I know how the character is going to react to having overcome the "Goldfish" phase? No, I honestly don't. But the fact of the matter is that she is now aware of what has happened before and she remembers parts of her passed. Whether Lobdell is going to make it so that the change doesn't affect her character at all, then so be it. Starfire has grown into an independent character that is no longer defined by the character of Dick Grayson, so if she is going to act like Dick is no longer a part of her life and continue the whole aloof thing that she has going on, then I'm more than happy and I even approve. If she isn't and she's going to become more like the character that she was previously, then I approve as well. I'm open to characters taking new directions, hell I was even open to Starfire not having been part of the Teen Titans or being on earth for that matter. The only thing that really pissed me off was the, "She did all this, but she can't remember she's done it". It like those horrible episodes in anime, when everyone forgets who the main character is and treat him like a total stranger, and then the protagonist has to figure out what's going wrong and defeat the bad guy, only for the climax to be everyone getting their memories back and beating the sh*t out of the villain. I hate those plot devices.

Thankfully, its not a problem anymore.

#1 Posted by redhoodx (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I trust lobdell as well, I knew he would not do anything to hurt her character. Its just now she is independent and no one but us real kory fans know who she is and what she is about. Also put jason back on the course of being the true badass anti-hero that we know and love. Not to mention he saved roy from being a complete pyscopath, and turn him back into are witty hero. Three Cheers For Lobdell, the man knows what he is doing.

#2 Posted by The Stegman (24413 posts) - - Show Bio

i never had anything bad to say about the title...i LIKED starfire's new outlook on life, cause let's face it, her character pre flashpoint had developed as much as possible

#3 Posted by Mayo88m (246 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, like Stegman said, I too liked his take on her. I didn't find it sexist, or demeaning, or any of the other things "fans" cried about. I use the quotations because half of them were couldn't have probably cared less about her before this happened, but seeing the new thing to gripe about they flocked around it. I personally didn't think she was any less of a trollop than she was before really. Most of the time she was portrayed as nothing more than Dick's lovesick puppy anyway. Sorry if this comes across rude, or crass, just how I feel about the matter.

Anyway, yeah I really enjoy all of Lobdell's current books. They're fun reads to me, and I can't wait to see where he takes the characters.

#4 Posted by God_Spawn (37895 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the new Kori. I'm glad she is turning out the way she is.

Moderator
#5 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like someone knows how to listen....

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

i never had anything bad to say about the title...i LIKED starfire's new outlook on life, cause let's face it, her character pre flashpoint had developed as much as possible

Yeah, I liked her new outlook on her life. It just pissed me that she doesn't remember the last few years of her life.

@lykopis said:

Looks like someone knows how to listen....

Huh?

#7 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

They don`t publish RHATO in Finland, but I`m glad that the book isn`t as lousy as it has been said.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

They don`t publish RHATO in Finland, but I`m glad that the book isn`t as lousy as it has been said.

The book was never really lousy, there were just some questionable character choices done by Lobdell.

#9 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp:

I thought so. What I mean though, is that many deemed it lousy, in my opinion. Seriously, I shouldn`t really be the one to judge, since I haven`t read complete stories from the series.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Of Course.

#11 Posted by SecretKnight (82 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I didn't like it but now I'm starting to like Scott Lobdell. I'm so glad I liked the characters or I would have gotten rid of the series but since it had Starfire I kept it.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33450 posts) - - Show Bio
@kfhrfdu_89_76k said:

@ReVamp:

I thought so. What I mean though, is that many deemed it lousy, in my opinion. Seriously, I shouldn`t really be the one to judge, since I haven`t read complete stories from the series.

Most of the people that didn't like the book hadn't even read it and where just jumping on the bandwagon.
#13 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3762 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

Sounds pretty probable.

#14 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate to say it but I told yous so, I told you all so

#15 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Hate to say it but I told yous so, I told you all so

About?

#16 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

Hate to say it but I told yous so, I told you all so

About?

I spent a week patrolling the anti Starphire / Lobdell hate threads saying to wait a few more issues and all would be explained and that they were over reacting and jumping the gun. I never told you in particular but I did my best to defend Starfire's honor for quite a while

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

Hate to say it but I told yous so, I told you all so

About?

I spent a week patrolling the anti Starphire / Lobdell hate threads saying to wait a few more issues and all would be explained and that they were over reacting and jumping the gun. I never told you in particular but I did my best to defend Starfire's honor for quite a while

Well, that doesn't apply to me. I never had a problem with her "honor" I just didn't like the fact that she lost her memory and Lobdell was trying to play it off like it was permanent.

#18 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

@ReVamp said:

@BlackArmor said:

Hate to say it but I told yous so, I told you all so

About?

I spent a week patrolling the anti Starphire / Lobdell hate threads saying to wait a few more issues and all would be explained and that they were over reacting and jumping the gun. I never told you in particular but I did my best to defend Starfire's honor for quite a while

Well, that doesn't apply to me. I never had a problem with her "honor" I just didn't like the fact that she lost her memory and Lobdell was trying to play it off like it was permanent.

yeah sorry I was just kind of using your thread to send a message to the Haters in general (not saying you are one I just knew this would attract there attention). It was revealed pretty early that the memory thing wasn't permanent though there was a leak like 2 days after issue 1 came out that said she was lying to Roy. People just liked to ignore it so it got buried under complaints. and by honor I meant people who were acting like she was ruined as a character after they only read one issue (again not you)

#19 Posted by God_Spawn (37895 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if after that last fight they depowered her a bit from what that Xenophobe said.

Moderator
#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

I wonder if after that last fight they depowered her a bit from what that Xenophobe said.

I interpreted it that way too. It makes sense, having her on the team this way makes her kinda too much of a powerhouse.

#21 Posted by God_Spawn (37895 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@god_spawn said:

I wonder if after that last fight they depowered her a bit from what that Xenophobe said.

I interpreted it that way too. It makes sense, having her on the team this way makes her kinda too much of a powerhouse.

Maybe by the team's standards, yeah I agree.

Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.