LBCC '11: Marv Wolfman Reacts to Scott Lobdell's STARFIRE

• 83 results
#51 Posted by Samimista (22139 posts) - - Show Bio

Priceless.

#52 Posted by Mercy_ (93944 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy
CHOKE HIM, MARV. CHOKE THE LIFE OUT OF HIM.
I second this.
#53 Posted by verismydeer0 (412 posts) - - Show Bio

love it

#54 Posted by Mercy_ (93944 posts) - - Show Bio
@ThomasElliot

@DEADPOOL:

Apparently all the babies that used to watch the Teen Titans toon are shocked to find out that she's a full-grown adult full of empowerment.

Go figure.

That's not what the uproar's about at all. And if you'd bothered to read through even one of the multiple threads on this board that have discussions going on about it, you'd know that.
#55 Posted by yo_yo_fun (654 posts) - - Show Bio

Thumbs up! LOL

#56 Posted by yo_yo_fun (654 posts) - - Show Bio

@SirSparkington said:

Loading Video...

So ... this?

LMBO!

#57 Posted by lvenger (26466 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol this is awesome. But seriously why is Lobdell ruining one of Marv's great creations? It's just not right or fair for the character.

#58 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1673 posts) - - Show Bio

MAHAHAHHAHA! Karma finally caught up to you Lobdell, NOW YOU FACE THE WOLFMAN! >8D

#59 Posted by Skies327 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'd like to shake Lobdell's hand. His portrayel of Starfire is quite good in the new series. For anyone still crying about the character in Red Hood and the Outlaws, I'd like to point you to one definition of the word Outlaw.

"a person who refuses to be governed by the established rules or practices of any group; rebel; nonconformist"

She doesn't act like Mary Poppins. Her past got changed with the new 52, as did others. It's a new direction for a good character.

Stop. Crying. Already.

#60 Posted by The Impersonator (7784 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL!

#61 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

@yo_yo_fun said:

@SirSparkington said:

Loading Video...

So ... this?

LMBO!

Yeah that's what happens next to the picture ^^

#62 Edited by -Vigil- (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do people assume just the female readers would be offended by the new Starfire?

EDIT: By the way, I should point out that I'm not offended, since I haven't actually read Red Hood and the Outlaws yet. But I imagine that I will be if I do read it.

#63 Edited by thechessclub (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz said:

@sora_thekey said:

@thechessclub said:

Where the hell is the "Like" button?! Oh..Right. This isn't Facebook=P

"Like"

Can't you just,oh I dunno, like something without the need or help from such futile features?? :P

And belittle the existence of the "like" button?? How dare you sir. Someone programmed that "futile feature." They put their blood and sweat into it, the least you can do is utilize it. geeze=P lol

#65 Posted by BlackArmor (6232 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolfman: I find your lack of faith disturbing

On a serious note The only offensive thing Lobdell did was remove Tim's cowl. Starfires fine and the fans who have been complaining about her for months not only need to read Lobdell's more than satisfactory explanations but also need to get a life other than spending 3 months complaining about a fictional charecter who has always been....sexually free Starfires as awesome as she's always been the only ones being offensive and less awesome are you guys

#66 Posted by SC (16140 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis said:

@SC said:

Marv Wolfman is from a different planet. His attitudes and cultural perspective on violence is just different to us Earthlings. We should accept his liberal attitudes on and towards violence though choking stuff, because we all know, secretly we all like to choke stuff, and people that don't like to choke stuff should stop whining and just stop buying the uh... uhm, wait, huh? Anyway, his body his choice, don't oppress people, people!!

LOL. Stop it!

Anyway, very funny pic - shows he's a good sport. :)

Thanks *smile*  

On a serious note The offensiveness is relative, some are bothered by other people having opinions and get really defensive, and others just address the opinions, if they feel the need. Starfires depiction changes with your perspective, unless you are against freedom of speech and some sort of terrorist who wants everyone to be killed by opinion-less Robots from Mars, and the fans who have been defending and apologizing about her for months not only need to read fans, other writers posters, dictionaries for more than satisfactory explanations but also need to get a life other than spending 3 months defending and apologizing about a fictional charecter who has always been....a fictional character with many different interpretations, Starfires as subjectively open to interpretation as she's always been the only ones being defensive and less awesome are you robots from Mars *Twilight Zone theme music*
#67 Edited by BlackArmor (6232 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: Hey I'm all for the opinionless robots from mars if they don't complain constantly for three months about a null issue. and if your going to mock my comment at least reply to me about it instead of hoping i won't see it

#68 Posted by The Poet (8646 posts) - - Show Bio

oh...

#69 Posted by jkuc316 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@thechessclub said:

Isn't there 1 on top of the picture?

#70 Posted by SC (16140 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@SC: Hey I'm all for the opinionless robots from mars if they don't complain constantly for three months about a null issue. and if your going to mock my comment at least reply to me about it instead of hoping i won't see it

Its okay my friend, I didn't mock your your comment, and the reason I didn't reply to you directly, is because I assumed you would probably think I am/was mocking your comment. So I wanted to avoid the Irony train.  I made the comment to someone who would understand the humor in it. They did and they laughed. 

See, you view what others are doing as "complaining" constantly yes? Though you don't find any hypocrisy with all the people "complaining" about people complaining? In fact why do you even view it as complaining and not just people having an opinion? Its like you assume if people are critiquing the issue they are complaining, just like you assumed my post was mocking yours.  

Now for all I know, you might assume I am mocking you more, or attacking you now with this reply? Honestly and sincerely, no, if you feel that way, I preemptively apologize to you.  

Me though? Not you, your statements? I just love to point out the hypocrisy in such statements, because when people discuss an issue it usually quickly turns into this perceived side versus side thing and lots of people assume and make over generalized claims about individuals based on those generalizations. Now will you sincerely attempt to understand what I have just told you, or am I now the enemy on the other side you will want to argue with?  

Why would I hope you wouldn't see it? Its not about you, or me. If I knew you better and your sense of humor? Sure? 
#71 Posted by BlackArmor (6232 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: I'm sorry for assuming you were mocking my post and taking a confrotational stance. I will admit that i'm complaining about complaining and that it is in a sense hypocrtitical (in my deffence i've been doing it about a month on and off vs. for 3 months plus the time since the first teaser almost constantly). in the begininning I wasn't vocal about my annoyance however as thread after thread was made for the identicle topic about identicle complaints I felt someone needed to stand up for the other side of the coin. I am indeed deffensive because IMO Redhood and the Outlaws has been one of the best books of the 52 and it is being damaged because the only press it has gotten has been complaints over a null issue alot of those up in arms don't even realise has not been explored in story (with only 2 issues and about 10 pages including starfire). I would hate to see a great title go down because of something so if you allow me to state my apinion close minded short sited and silly if not full on stupid.

#72 Posted by SC (16140 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@SC: I'm sorry for assuming you were mocking my post and taking a confrotational stance. I will admit that i'm complaining about complaining and that it is in a sense hypocrtitical (in my deffence i've been doing it about a month on and off vs. for 3 months plus the time since the first teaser almost constantly). in the begininning I wasn't vocal about my annoyance however as thread after thread was made for the identicle topic about identicle complaints I felt someone needed to stand up for the other side of the coin. I am indeed deffensive because IMO Redhood and the Outlaws has been one of the best books of the 52 and it is being damaged because the only press it has gotten has been complaints over a null issue alot of those up in arms don't even realise has not been explored in story (with only 2 issues and about 10 pages including starfire). I would hate to see a great title go down because of something so if you allow me to state my apinion close minded short sited and silly if not full on stupid.

I don't think you have to be so hard on yourself. Your just sharing your opinions right? Maybe not complaining? Same with me. *smile* In fact I enjoy critiquing, I critique my favorite books and characters as much as my not so favorite. Complaining? Eh, not so much. The hope for many, isn't to see comics fail necessary. Just improve. Thats what criticism is, or should be. A tool to help chisel a better product, and everyone wins. Plus controversy stirs. Maybe the writer has a ton of arcs with really strong character focused work, and people who were attracted to the controversy will get to see the fruit of that labor. *smile* 
#73 Posted by BlackArmor (6232 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC: I don't really have a problem with constructive critisim but so much of it. this sight included (ecen though it's many many times better than other sites trust me i checked). so much of it focuses on harpooning Lobdell. My only concern is that the book will be cancled under the weight of complaints but other than that 3 plus months just kinda feels like enough time for people to say "live and let live i'm not buying it so let the people who enjoyed it enjoy it"

#74 Posted by SC (16140 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@SC: I don't really have a problem with constructive critisim but so much of it. this sight included (ecen though it's many many times better than other sites trust me i checked). so much of it focuses on harpooning Lobdell. My only concern is that the book will be cancled under the weight of complaints but other than that 3 plus months just kinda feels like enough time for people to say "live and let live i'm not buying it so let the people who enjoyed it enjoy it"

Its okay, book won't be cancelled under heavy fire - this was a book designed by DC to sell numbers as fast and hard as possibly. Thats why they got Lobdell - his success in the 90's especially, and his consistency. So basically although the New 52 was a huge risk for DC, Lobdell (one of my favorite writers ever) being on this book, and the premise of this book, humor, great art, and a side dash of sexy, is pretty much as safe and traditional as comics get - the alternative to this book, is the slow burn. A book that tries to step a bit outside boundaries and traditions, to lure in new types of readers here because of all the attention, (commercials, advertising) this whole new 52 Relaunch is bringing in. 52 is a lot of different books. Add Marvel for a lot more options, and for people who know nothing about Starfire and those that do, if they don't like the book, they can move on to another, and not everyone can afford every book for 3 months. Some people might just browse the issue in store, but for fans who know the characters? Not so easy to find another book with the characters in it, for characters who didn't enjoy the book? No one would talk about the issue if it was only about not enjoying it. Books like this scare a lot of potential fans away from the characters. its great for those that enjoy it, but thats akin to saying, well, even though comics sells less and less each year, at least I am enjoying it, and when a comic gets cancelled, I won't be sad because I enjoyed it, even though I saw solutions that could have meant the comic survived oh well. etc  

So I understand your concern *smile* I think you'll be alright short and long term. (this book specifically) 
#75 Edited by God_Spawn (40152 posts) - - Show Bio

At least he's taking it well.

#76 Posted by thechessclub (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@jkuc316 said:

@thechessclub said:

Isn't there 1 on top of the picture?

True. I was more implying that I wanted it to be noted on Comicvine that I approved of this image but meh. Can't win em all=P

#77 Posted by Eyz (3187 posts) - - Show Bio

@thechessclub said:

@Eyz said:

@sora_thekey said:

@thechessclub said:

"Like"

Can't you just,oh I dunno, like something without the need or help from such futile features?? :P

And belittle the existence of the "like" button?? How dare you sir. Someone programmed that "futile feature." They put their blood and sweat into it, the least you can do is utilize it. geeze=P lol

People put their time into making stuff like smokes and whatnot, doesn't mean we all have to smoke either :P

(comparing the "like button" to something people get addicted? sure!~)

#78 Posted by thechessclub (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz said:

@thechessclub said:

@Eyz said:

@sora_thekey said:

@thechessclub said:

"Like"

People put their time into making stuff like smokes and whatnot, doesn't mean we all have to smoke either :P

A sense of humor, dude. You should get one.

#79 Posted by Aero_gt (846 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

Wolfman: I find your lack of faith disturbing

On a serious note The only offensive thing Lobdell did was remove Tim's cowl. Starfires fine and the fans who have been complaining about her for months not only need to read Lobdell's more than satisfactory explanations but also need to get a life other than spending 3 months complaining about a fictional charecter who has always been....sexually free Starfires as awesome as she's always been the only ones being offensive and less awesome are you guys

This.

#80 Posted by Eyz (3187 posts) - - Show Bio

@thechessclub said:

@Eyz said:

@thechessclub said:

@Eyz said:

@sora_thekey said:

@thechessclub said:

"Like"

A sense of humor, dude. You should get one.

Wooah! Your brilliant use of a MEME in your sentence has totally defeated me, I cannot possibly answer anything to that. /sarcasm

(you guys find the LIKE button appealing to your humor? How does that work?? why? can't you laugh at the videos/posts in question directly? do you need the help and use of a gimmick-y button?)

And honestly, humor, that's what I've been asking for 'round here for so long. Marvel is so serious with their comics... Also, like DC's new 52 titles, tons of gritty/grim stories and not a single humor title! What's up with that? It was the perfect time to have the Ambush Back in a new mini, or simply give a book to something like Angel & The Ape, or the Inferior Five, or anything else really... not a single comedy amongst 50 books??

#81 Posted by BatUniverse (153 posts) - - Show Bio

That´s an Awesome Shirt!

#82 Posted by 00 Raiser (450 posts) - - Show Bio

Its no different then how Michael Turner use to draw his versions of characters in the DCU. I mean they all looked like they belonged in a R rated version of GQ magazine! People should just stop the analyzing of the artwork recognize this for what it is. AWESOME!

#83 Posted by thechessclub (516 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz said:

And honestly, humor, that's what I've been asking for 'round here for so long. Marvel is so serious with their comics... Also, like DC's new 52 titles, tons of gritty/grim stories and not a single humor title! What's up with that? It was the perfect time to have the Ambush Back in a new mini, or simply give a book to something like Angel & The Ape, or the Inferior Five, or anything else really... not a single comedy amongst 50 books??

Tiny Titans is pretty funny=]

#84 Posted by Starleafgirl (1737 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eyz said:

"Wolverine and the X-Men" is a more light-hearted title Marvel's just come out with. Kind of close to Scott Lobdell and Chris Bachalo's brilliant Generation X back in the day. In any case, I agree, there should be more humor in comics! I hate all the gorey/gritty/serious stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.