Follow

Star Wars Rebels

Series »

An animated series set during the early days of the Rebel Alliance.

Star Wars Rebels "Droids in Distress"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Right with the opening shot, the latest episode of Star Wars Rebels does a wonderful job pulling us back into the Star Wars universe. Taking place between episodes 3 and 4 gives this show such a pleasant sense of familiarity. This series may focus on a new cast, but the tone and audio -- along with some of the locations and vehicles -- delivers such a happy dose of nostalgia. Star Wars is back on TV and it's clearly in good hands.

In this chapter, Ezra Bridger continues to slowly discover his abilities. They're not throwing him immediately into traditional training or filling his experiences with exposition. They're just letting him learn these things on the fly and showing how he responds before swiftly moving on. It's just enough to keep him front and center and have him still developing as someone else gets a bit of the spotlight as well. I can't say I'm that emotionally invested in the character, but they continue to keep my interest with his developments and it has me pretty anxious to see how his relationship with Kanan will grow as we move forward. In this episode, it's Garazeb Orrelios who receives a little more focus and shares the spotlight with Ezra. It's revealed what happened to his species and, while they don't give you much time to let the emotional punch really sink in, it still adds a nice balance to the tone. On paper, it's an incredibly dark and tragic event, yet the handling of it never allows this darkness to flood in and overwhelm the atmosphere. You can feel the rage and tragedy dwelling within the character and he's given two moments to let that all come out. Again, it didn't get that strong of a hook on my feelings, but it's just enough to add another layer to the Lasat. As of right now, he's easily the most interesting character in the show.

There's a fair amount of cute humor in this one, but the action is what really makes "Droids in Distress" leave an impression. If you questioned Garazeb Orrelios' toughness before, this episode is sure to make you think he's a seriously formidable character. There's a thrilling scene as he obliterates several Stormtroopers and he has an intense bo-rifle battle with Agent Kallus. The directing of both scenes grabs you and then tosses you right into the thrilling action. The attacks are fast, the blasts are powerful, and the punches are fierce. The scenes are just loaded with energy; it's surprisingly frenetic and totally exciting. Even something as simple as Ezra putting his agility to the test is a blast to observe because of how it's directed (love the extended shot).

The inclusion of C-3PO and R2-D2 offers a nice bit of fan service in the end and there's more than a few nods with the dialogue (not to mention R2's interactions with Chopper are adorable), but when a show is this young and has so many new characters to establish, I'd much rather see the time being used to flesh out these new individuals. I understand a show can only do so much with the characters in each story, but aside from Ezra and Zeb, it kind of felt like the others were cast aside in this one. Despite having some static shots and exposition heavy scenes, it feels like a really fast-paced episode, so the emotional beats don't have the opportunity to hit quite as hard as they could have. Also, it's just a wee bit of a bummer that we don't get to see the Inquisitor at all, but at least they're continuing to make Agent Kallus a huge scumbag.

"Droids in Distress" is an entertaining adventure with some pleasing nods to the franchise's history. It manages to give Zeb just a little more depth and hits us with some gripping and truly memorable action sequences. Overall, it mostly feels like an enjoyable side mission. It's not quite as great as "Spark of Rebellion" but it's still a whole lot of fun and the series continues to show a ton of promise. The animation may fool you into thinking this is only geared towards a younger audience, but this show is most definitely something that fans of any age can appreciate.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

I really enjoyed it, this show is off to a much better start than The Clone Wars. I actually find myself looking forward to the next episode. The show just feels like Star Wars.

IronAngelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I loved the Star Wars Clone Wars by the end of its run (5th season, 6th season was meh) and I had high expectations for this show. It's not what I've expected it to be, it's better. I can't wait for this show to have a long run of its own and the characters are great. Glad to see characters like Kanan getting some real recognition so early on in his debut. One of the main protagonists in the first of novel of the new EU and now getting his own comic by Marvel.

Cannot wait to see how this show progresses.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm wondering how they'll explain where these guys were during the OT.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With 'Spark of Rebellion' airing same day in the UK I thought that would be the case here too. Alas, it isn't airing here until Thursday. :(

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@pizzaman said:

I'm wondering how they'll explain where these guys were during the OT.

I believe that Kanan will die because in Episode IV it is mentioned that order 66 is now over and all jedi are gone so they must think Kanan is the last jedi.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Somehow these two always know how to be where the action is XD

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

@ironangelx: I think you are the first person I have ever seen say the 5th season was meh. In my humble opinion, it was by far the best season. Darth Maul is my favorite Star Wars character though so maybe that influences my opinion a great deal. Plus, outside the banking arc, the sixth season was pretty amazing too.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

I also loved the Star Tours reference! Now that's pretty nostalgic!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like the little tease at the end with Bail Organa, it made R2-D2 and C3PO's appearance in this episode make a little more sense and was a nice way to allude to what will eventually become of the Rebel Alliance in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.