Okay, Im gonna try my hardest not to be confusing at all but Season three of Deep Space Nine will help explain the story,
- The Riker on trial by Cardassia is a clone ( see "Defiant" from Deep Space Nine )
- He is on trial for being a part of the Maquis, [the maquis] is a rogue orginization that was part of the federation and now outlawed by the federation for defending their homes from the opposing force which is the Cardassians.
- Make no mistake although the fedeartion beleive the maquis to be a threat,in actuality the maquis are freedom fighters that simply defending their homes.
- So Thomas Riker is in no way evil.Infact Captain Benjamin Sisko did not wish to turn him over to the Cardassians but he had no choice.
- All Cardassian sentenses end with execution guilty or innocent [ see "Maquis part 1 & 2" from Deep Space Nine )
- Bottom line i highly reccomend seeing Deep Space Nine season 2 and 3.