Starlord's Uniform Change

#1 Edited by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped reading avengers assemble after the first issue because it was sooo bad, so i don't know the circumstances for the change. there might be a perfectly reasonable in story explanation why Starlord changed from this

Starlord

to this

Can anyone tell me why or was it not even mentioned in the comic? They even changed his hair colour.

was there any reason given to how he, Drax and Thanos are even alive?

#2 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

thats starlord?? i thought that was cap. or hawkeye. ugh dont know why but i prefer the previous costume.

#3 Posted by Haaydrian (173 posts) - - Show Bio

Bendis.

#4 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

So no in story explanation then?

#5 Posted by Cap10nate (2353 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

Nope. There has been no mention of why any of them are aliveafter the Thanos Imperative (Awesome Story) or why his uniform is different. Strange they would change it after the concept art for the movie shows his old uni.

#6 Posted by Cap10nate (2353 posts) - - Show Bio
This is what his mask looked like during the battle in Avengers Assemble 7. Definitely like the older look better.
#7 Posted by fesak (7056 posts) - - Show Bio

It's his old uniform. Probably the artist didn't know who he was and only had old comics for reference.

#8 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak: If that's true its just sad and massively unprofessional. What do editors even do anymore? i thought there job was to make sure continuity lines up.

#9 Posted by Urliq (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still just confused how he's alive. I had a total WTF moment reading Avengers Assemble when the Guardians showed up since besides Rocket Raccoon & Groot they had been MIA since the Thanos Imperative.

#10 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak said:

It's his old uniform. Probably the artist didn't know who he was and only had old comics for reference.

Should be mandatory for artist and writers to read previous relevant stories

#11 Posted by Lamenoire (193 posts) - - Show Bio

@Urliq said:

I'm still just confused how he's alive. I had a total WTF moment reading Avengers Assemble when the Guardians showed up since besides Rocket Raccoon & Groot they had been MIA since the Thanos Imperative.

so is everyone... maybe it will be adressed in the now GotG serie.... or Bendis will continue ignoring it

#12 Posted by DrLove (46 posts) - - Show Bio

this arc was godawful and pointless... i hope GOTG will be back strong

#13 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2639 posts) - - Show Bio

Starlord is my all time favorite member of the GOTG. Heck he was the reason I read the comic!!! Not saying I don't like the other characters, just that out of any of them he's the only one on my favorites list. He had an AWESOME look to him!!! His costume had a very old-school pulp feel to it and that made it unique and interesting!!! Now he just looks like "Generic Space Hero Man"

#14 Posted by TheGodofThunder (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst thing Bendis has ever done.

#15 Posted by John Valentine (16310 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the Marvel NOW! redesign.

#16 Posted by Sebast_Allen (1514 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

This is what his mask looked like during the battle in Avengers Assemble 7. Definitely like the older look better.

Guys, this basically is Star-Lord's classic costume.

They just went back to the original for a while. Characters go back to classic costumes of dubious design all the time. At least his helmet is better.

#18 Posted by Cap10nate (2353 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I didn't remember making that post until I looked and saw that it was over a year ago. I still prefer his whole look from Annihilation and DnA's run better with the dark hair, black/red suit, with the full mask. I liked how they had Iron Man wear it in the one issue when his suit was messed up.

#19 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: I didn't remember making that post until I looked and saw that it was over a year ago. I still prefer his whole look from Annihilation and DnA's run better with the dark hair, black/red suit, with the full mask. I liked how they had Iron Man wear it in the one issue when his suit was messed up.

Yeah, I was kinda responding to the whole thread—old as it was—but tagged you cause I wanted to show the images side-by-side. The Iron Man cameo for that suit was a nice touch, I agree.

#20 Edited by Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler (820 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

Nope. There has been no mention of why any of them are aliveafter the Thanos Imperative (Awesome Story) or why his uniform is different. Strange they would change it after the concept art for the movie shows his old uni.

Hasn't been mentioned in the current GotG series, but in the back pages of a recent re-print of a few of his classic stories, it is explained why he's using his classic uniform again. After he escapes the Cancer-Verse, he is re-united with Ship, who restores his former powers. This includes his super powers, costume, helmet, and element gun. Of course, Bendis has completely ignored why we haven't seen Star-Lord flying, using his enhanced physicals, showing the ability to survive in space without a space suit, having enhanced durability and a healing factor. Also, the Guardians have been flying around in Ship, but for some reason, she is never talking to Starlord. Bendis is completely clueless to this character, and Marvel released the worst explanation ever for any questions fans of classic Star-Lord like myself have been asking. Marvel's excuse is that any of the original origin stories from Star-Lord, that do not make sense with the negligent writing Bendis is doing, should be considered an alternate universe Star-Lord. Marvel sure knows how to treat their long-time fans. lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.