Chris Pratt to Play Star-Lord in 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

Posted by k4tzm4n (36414 posts) - - Show Bio

There were plenty of rumors over the past few months about who would play Star-Lord and it looks like search is finally over. Actor Chris Pratt (Zero Dark Thirty, Parks and Recreation) will apparently lead the cosmic team as Peter Quill. 

Previous rumors implied Marvel Studios was also checking Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler's availability. If I had to take a guess, I'd say they wanted a famous voice for one of the CG characters. The team of space heroes will also include Drax, Groot, Rocket Raccoon and Gamora. For more information on Star-Lord, be sure to check out his bio page!

Guardians of the Galaxy will be directed by James Gunn and is slated to come out August, 2014. Viners, do you think Chris Pratt is a good choice? 

Source: Hero Complex
Staff
#1 Posted by DarthStorm (130 posts) - - Show Bio

No?

#2 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

Are people still gonna doubt the Marvel movies and their choices at this point ? Has anything they done came out badly ? Im not seeing any big ones so im okay with this choice.

#3 Posted by CobaltArchangel (28 posts) - - Show Bio

NO!

#4 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz said:

Are people still gonna doubt the Marvel movies and their choices at this point ? Has anything they done came out badly ? Im not seeing any big ones so im okay with this choice.

Daredevil....

The Original Punisher

Elektra

Spiderman 3

Iron Man 2

#5 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@MatKrenz said:

Daredevil....

The Original Punisher

Elektra

Spiderman 3

Iron Man 2

You can really only fault Marvel for IM2. The others weren't them.

#6 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (545 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber said:

@MatKrenz said:

Daredevil....

The Original Punisher

Elektra

Spiderman 3

Iron Man 2

apart from iron man 2 which gave us war machine by the way those movies were from other companies

#7 Posted by SlamAdams (287 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds good to me. I like him a lot on Parks and Rec and he was very good in Moneyball.

#8 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: Im talking about Marvel Studios movies not anything else. Also Iron Man 2 is way better since Avengers came out, seeing as how that movie sets up so much and gets paid off.

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

Perfect choice for Star-Lord. He's shown that he can be dramatic with Moneyball and Zero Dark Thirty, and he's got humor down to a tee with Park and Recreation. In short, Chris Pratt is awesome and I have no doubt that he'll do Star-Lord justice. I just hope that this doesn't interfere with him being on Parks and Recreation, since he's my favorite character in the show.

#10 Posted by Overlander (430 posts) - - Show Bio

My skin started crawling at just the thought of Jim Carrey as Rocket Raccoon.

...and I know it is superficial, but Chris Pratt really should slim down for a role as Star-Lord.

#11 Posted by Jake Fury (18120 posts) - - Show Bio

He's married to Anna Faris, that has to count for something.

#12 Posted by judasnixon (6193 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure Chris Pratt will do just fine. I was a little worried at first, then I found out he lost a lot of weight and got buff. 

#13 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him as an actor ever since Everwood.

#14 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overlander said:

My skin started crawling at just the thought of Jim Carrey as Rocket Raccoon.

...and I know it is superficial, but Chris Pratt really should slim down for a role as Star-Lord.

He already slimmed down recently for his role in Zero Dark Thirty.

#15 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (520 posts) - - Show Bio

whaaaaaat....? o.O

I will give Marvel the benefit of the doubt, but...I don't like it...

But I also did not agree with Chris Evans as Captain America or Scarlet Johansson as Black Widow...or Mark Ruffalo as Banner...they all turned out fine, I suppose.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32728 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz said:

@TheCheeseStabber: Im talking about Marvel Studios movies not anything else. Also Iron Man 2 is way better since Avengers came out, seeing as how that movie sets up so much and gets paid off.

Marvel made the Punisher

#17 Edited by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Good news to me, he is a good actor from the few movies I've seen. Honestly I could actually see Jim Carrey as Groot lol, he could probably make it funny even only saying 'groot'.

#18 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: Are you talking about the one form the 80's with Lundgren, Thomas Jane or War Zone ? Cause the Lundgren one was never released in theaters and the other two were just co-produced by Marvel Studios cause what im talking about is Marvel Studios but Sony or Fox.

#19 Posted by CptPanda29 (211 posts) - - Show Bio

Pratt is effing awesome, only seen him in Parks and Rec but really wanna see him try this out.

#20 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@MatKrenz: I guess the people doubting only saw Daredevil, Electra, Spider-Man 3, and any Punisher movie ever made.

#21 Edited by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

I was one day sooner

@TheCheeseStabber: these were not marvel studios except Iron man 2 but it wasn't bad.

#22 Posted by Dernman (14740 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm disappointed at their choice.

#23 Posted by ahgunsillyo (113 posts) - - Show Bio

So they're basically taking everyone from Everwood and putting them in Marvel movies. I'm waiting for Treat Williams, personally.

#24 Posted by Loki9876 (2993 posts) - - Show Bio

for the people who think he needs to lose weight:

#25 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Talk sh*t as much as you want, I liked (Director's Cut) Daredevil. Back on topic, though. I'm super excited for this, and also for GotG 0.1 coming out this month. Damn Brian Michael Bendis taking money out of my pocket. Is this movie animated? I just made the assumption it would be live action for some reason.

#26 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I just hope we get the hard-bitten cyborg "Star-Lord is dead" Quill from ANNIHILATION instead of the old-school Star-Lord. Probably it'll be a fusion of the two.

#27 Posted by neiliusprime (247 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

Perfect choice for Star-Lord. He's shown that he can be dramatic with Moneyball and Zero Dark Thirty, and he's got humor down to a tee with Park and Recreation. In short, Chris Pratt is awesome and I have no doubt that he'll do Star-Lord justice. I just hope that this doesn't interfere with him being on Parks and Recreation, since he's my favorite character in the show.

I 100% agree

#28 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio
If I was casting director…
#29 Posted by DestineSavior (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about Chris Pratt, his performance in Zero Dark Thirty was an average, but I don't think he is fit to be Star Lord. I could still imagine Joseph Gordon Levitt to be Star Lord, I mean the version with the helmet, not the newest rendition which I dislike.

#30 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (7753 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matchstick: @jesusdisciple001: @MatKrenz:

Im aware they were by other companies I was just being cynical...

#31 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

You had me at Meat Tornado.

#32 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

BURT MACKLIN.

IN SPACE.

Have no worries, guys. This is gonna be awesome.

#33 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

They'll never put Warlock or Nova in the film, simply because they would be the only interesting members in this otherwise child-directed roster.

#34 Posted by skillin villin (88 posts) - - Show Bio

@Fantasgasmic: I support your choice, if you were casting director

#35 Posted by slade_wilson (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Good choice. Really, I think he's a good fit for the role. Excellent performance in Moneyball.

#36 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool choice.

#37 Posted by ogg927 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Loki9876: I totally agree, not sure who wanted him to slim down? I think that he'll do an excellent job.

#38 Posted by OldOldLogan (28 posts) - - Show Bio

If any one can make a bull shit lie of a story like zero dark 30 look good good he must be a great actor. I'm in. he should make a great star lord.

#39 Edited by irmensul (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha yeah & Fantastic Four (surfer was cool in 2 I guess)...woulda rather seen the original team though in the first movie..at least start it from Vance Astro's perspective-this would of provided a better Avengers link

#40 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie shouldn't be made. I hope the GOTG don't appear in Avengers 2.

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, wasn't expecting that. Alright then.

#42 Posted by nappystr8 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like Chris Pratt, but I'm also really really really skeptical about him in this particular role. But I'm certainly not ready to write this movie off or anything yet. Marvel and James Gunn both have very solid track records at this point. Iron Man is not the same character he was in comics, and that change came to huge success. Who's to say Star Lord isn't also undergoing adjustments in character which will make Pratt perfect casting. Chris Evans seemed like a weird idea at first, and now I can't imagine anyone else in the role. Same with Mark Ruffallo.

I'm much more interested in final casting news for Drax and Rocket Raccoon anyway.

#43 Posted by BritishMonkey (320 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no idea who he is but from what little I've seen I trust he can do Quill right.

Now say Vin Diesel will be Drax and Gina Carano will be Gamora.

#44 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6436 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually like this. Glad Marvel is getting things going! GotG deserves a chance.

#45 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron Man 2 was awesome other then the fact rhodey was so easily able to steal a suit.

#46 Posted by WhatJ (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler nonononononononononooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.