'Guardians of the Galaxy' Won't Have a Stan Lee Cameo

• 63 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever you go into a Marvel Studios movie, it's safe to assume you'll see Stan "The Man" Lee appear sooner or later. Even if he doesn't have a line, you can expect to see his face for a second or two. However, the co-creator of so many legendary Marvel characters says he's not going to make a cameo in James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy. DweebCast asked him the question and he said he'll be a no-show because he didn't create the team and he doesn't know who some of the characters are. He added he "can't wait" to see the movie.

Viners, are you perfectly fine with the movie breaking tradition or will you miss seeing him pop up?

Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and opens August 1, 2014.

Source: DweebCast

Staff
#1 Edited by krspaceT (1484 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense

#2 Edited by dreamfall31 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be cool to start seeing cameos by other big writers and creators!

#3 Edited by Herx (374 posts) - - Show Bio

The lack of his presence will make the film less classy (oh how i enjoy playing stan-bingo) but his reasoning makes sense to me.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (58021 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

#5 Edited by daredevil21134 (11753 posts) - - Show Bio

Good.But he didn't create Captain America either and that didn't stop him

#6 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't expect him to appear

This

#7 Posted by DarthTanka (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Huuu... Didn't he once say that he would be willing to make a cameo in any comic book movie he was offered the opportunity to do so? Even a DC movie?

Guess "the man" is getting pretty old... I'm sad...

#8 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

When I stepped into this thread, I was FILLED WITH WRATH. But since reading his reasoning, I'm cool with it.

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13121 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: true but he did put in a lot of work on cap in his Avengers story

#10 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense, I mean he hasn't been in any wolverine solo films since he didn't create wolverine.

#11 Posted by churrific (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well. A green/purplish alien octopus-looking Stan Lee might've been mildly interesting to me. Or just regular Stan Lee floating in space.

#12 Posted by IrishX (2363 posts) - - Show Bio

No problem with him not making a cameo but.... he "doesn't know who some of the characters are"?

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33336 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. Stan shouldn't b making cameos in films about characters he didn't create.

#14 Edited by Saren (25666 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is the first time I've noticed Drax looks like a burn victim.

Moderator Online
#15 Edited by 2cool4fun (1367 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but that's because if he didn't bring cap back with avenger ( number 4-5 I think? idk ) he would have forever been lost as a 40s superhero.

#16 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

When I stepped into this thread, I was FILLED WITH WRATH. But since reading his reasoning, I'm cool with it.

This-ish.

#17 Posted by pspin (891 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense if it is not a little disappointing.

@saren said:

haha

#18 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

That's Drax????? Ouch... trying not to go to see this pre-conceived.

#19 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7967 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

Yeah but that's because if he didn't bring cap back with avenger ( number 4-5 I think? idk ) he would have forever been lost as a 40s superhero.

Yeah, it was Avengers #4. He and Jack Kirby decided to bring him back shortly after creating the Avengers.

#20 Edited by chaddum96 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes sense that Stan wouldn't be in it except for his help in forming Groot. But still, Stan Lee cameos are always fun to look for. He could have been like some old Nova Corp guy or something. Oh well :/

#21 Posted by chaddum96 (46 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg: James Gunn has said that that picture isn't the finished version of them, so by the end he could possibly look cooler....hopefully.

#22 Posted by IDontLikeBirds (327 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy about this. As the man said, he doesn't know some of the characters and had nothing to do with them. I like the guy, but he doesn't need to be in everything just for the sake of it. He created a lot of characters, but he didn't create them all. Seeing cameos by other writers, artists and so on, would be kind of cool.

#23 Edited by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaddum96: oh ok, I didn't know that. We'll see. I don't llike that thing as Drax :)

#24 Posted by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

While this certainly sucks, it makes sense, since he didn't make the characters. And it's not like I'm not gonna see the movie just because he's not in it.

#25 Posted by FearTheLiving (3067 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of sad, but completely understandable.

#26 Edited by WonderLust (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it makes sense. While I like the novelty of Stan, sometimes it's too distracting.

#27 Posted by Friskynesss (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Stan Lee is a part of the universe. Someone needs to tell Shield about that old guy that's been around since the 1940s :p

#28 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense I guess.

#29 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

dont know whats sadder, that this is a story, or that it interest me.

#30 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Good, the Stan cameos were getting overblown. What would be cool would be to see a statue or a building saying "Mantalo".

#32 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7727 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no hate for Stan Lee, but I'm pretty neutral to his cameos. Him not being in it doesn't make me sad nor happy.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (43285 posts) - - Show Bio

@kriminal said:

dont know whats sadder, that this is a story, or that it interest me.

Every Marvel Studios movie has a Stan Lee cameo and this will allegedly (can't confirm yet if he'll appear in Winter Soldier, obviously) be the first exception. Seeing as some people have fun spotting his cameo or it gives them a good laugh, it's definitely worth pointing out.

Staff
#34 Posted by tupiaz (2183 posts) - - Show Bio

Makes sense.

Frank Miller was in Daredevil (he gets killed by Bullseye). Todd McFarlane was a bum in the Spawn movie. There is probably a few more out there.

@irishx said:

No problem with him not making a cameo but.... he "doesn't know who some of the characters are"?

That isn't anything new. Stan Lee has allegedly once asked who wolverine and several others was when the 90's cartoon was in production.

#35 Posted by IrishX (2363 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: You would think he might get familiar with them having a major film about to be released though. No big thing I just find it funny he doesn't take a moment to read up on them a little.

Also, Dave Stevens made a cameo in The Rocketeer film.

#36 Posted by PunyParker (10789 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems logical.

Fair point.
He wrote him though....

#37 Posted by daredevil21134 (11753 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems logical.

@daredevil21134 said:

Fair point.

He wrote him though....

true

#38 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11563 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess this means nothing of importance will happen in GotG since STAN THE WATCHER won't be around. Kidding, kidding, I really enjoy his short cameos but this I understand.

#40 Edited by AmazingWebHead (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Fair enough. After giving us Spider-Man, the Fantastic 4, the Hulk, Iron Man, and Stripperella, I think that if anyone deserves a break from cameoing, it's him.

#41 Posted by tupiaz (2183 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx said:

@tupiaz: You would think he might get familiar with them having a major film about to be released though. No big thing I just find it funny he doesn't take a moment to read up on them a little.

Also, Dave Stevens made a cameo in The Rocketeer film.

If you should believe Marvel Comics: The untold Story Stan Lee hasn't been interesting in the comics since he stopped writing and has been focusing and getting movie deals instead.

#42 Posted by mikep12 (4142 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of selfish

#43 Posted by millennium (208 posts) - - Show Bio

that god i fell like its my birthday just seeing this news

#44 Posted by Caladorcp (72 posts) - - Show Bio

wow....the GOTG look kinda lame in that picture....

More on topic: I don't really care if Stan makes an appearance. It was funny and cool the first couple times, but now it's just a little distracting anyway.

#45 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

That's fine with me, I honestly feel like his Cameos actually detract from the film. They feel a little forced in my opinion to be honest.

#46 Posted by ernesth100 (77 posts) - - Show Bio

I geuss you could say he's out of there....*puts on shades*

Lee-gue.

#47 Posted by JetiiMitra (8611 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. His reasoning makes sense and the cameos shouldn't be a chore anyway.

#48 Posted by War Killer (20188 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker said:

Seems logical.

@daredevil21134 said:

Fair point.

He wrote him though....

true

Stan Lee's first published work in comics was in Captain America Comics #3. So while he didn't create Captain America, the character did play a big role in his early career as a comic book writer. So when you think about it it makes sense that he made an appearance in the movie.

#49 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared for his cameos, so nothing bad for me.

#50 Edited by Lurkero (186 posts) - - Show Bio

This is straight up blasphemy.

Unless Stan Lee said he didnt want to do it he should be there. I'm not that disappointed by it, but it just such a fun gimmick to have while Stan Lee is still alive and able.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.