EXCELSIOR! Happy Birthday, Mr. Marvel!

• 79 results
Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you wished Stan Lee a happy birthday? 

It is pretty amazing to think that the most famous and iconic man in comics, the heralded former publisher of Marvel comics, Stan "The Man" Lee turns 87 today. Behind him is over a half a century of an absolutely incredible franchise, and a completely changed industry where comic book characters fill more than just a comic strip in a weekly paper, and have been developed into multi faceted characters who express emotions and are not necessarily invincible. What is probably more amazing still is Stan Lee's inability to stop working. At the ripe old age of 87, Mr. Lee is still a kid at heart, attending comic book conventions throughout the country and making guest cameo appearances in virtually all of Marvel's film adaptations. His upcoming projects include a cameo appearance in ' Iron Man 2' as well as Kenneth Branagh's ' Thor.' In addition to holding a title as Marvel's Chairman Emeritus, Mr. Lee also heads a separate company, POW Entertainment and has a variety of his own projects he is presently working on through that company which include everything from live action films, to a documentary entitled "True Believer," focusing on the life and times of Stan Lee, currently in post production. 

If you ever wondered what makes Stan Lee such an influential figure in the industry, then you need only look to the
massive catalog of Marvel characters he is credited for creating. Not only did Lee create a great number of incredibly entertaining characters, but he essentially changed the face of the entire industry. In the introduction to "Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics," Stan Lee sums up the influence he has had on comic book characters rather distinctly.  

Ask any Marvel fan why he favors our line of comics and he'll probably say something to this effect, "They have a certain style that I like,: Perhaps the most important element in the so-called Marvel style is the fact that we have to stress realism in every panel. I can imagine the scoffers among you leaping to their feet and exclaiming "How can he speak of realism when Marvel specializes in fantasy?" The trick is to create a fantastic premise and then envelope it with as much credibility as possible. Case in point: Spider-Man. Here's a character who can walk on walls like an insect and shoots webs that enable him to swing from building to building. Hardly an overdose of total reality, I grant you. Well, having established the parameters of the unrreal, we then do our best to to treat ol' Spidey as if he could be your next door neighbor. Despite his super powers, he still has money troubles, allergy attacks, dandruff, self-doubts and unexpected defeats. In other words, we think of him as real and try to depict him accordingly. 

Not only did Stan Lee alter the way characters are written in comic books, but he did everything in his power to promote his timeless characters, going so far as to dress up as "Uncle Stan" in a promotional stunt to encourage sales back in 1975, for example. In a sense, Stan himself is Marvel Comics, and will most likely always be associated with being the father of the great publishing company. As comic book fans, we should feel honored to have him.  I did not realize or fully fathom how really fantastic he is until I had the opportunity to meet and interview him at Comic Con. If there is any one person in the industry who has a reason to be conceited or think very highly of himself, it is Stan Lee; but he is not. Mr. Lee is one of the kindest and sweetest guys you will ever meet, and looking back on that moment, I feel honored to have met him.  So, if I had a glass to toast to you, I would, but my coffee mug will have to do. Happy Birthday, Stan Lee and may you bless us with many more years of you. 
#1 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
Happy Birthday Stan
#2 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (1874 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy B-day Stan

#3 Posted by Citizen 14 (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoo. Happy Birthday Stan.

#4 Posted by The Avenging Angel (52 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan "The Man"!!
#5 Posted by NightFang (9866 posts) - - Show Bio
Happy Birthday Stan!!!!
#6 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Woohoo, the birthday of a legend

#7 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

To "The Man!"

Cheers, Stan.

#8 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan the man!

#9 Edited by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday, Stan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8D 

#10 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy birthday Stan!

Man, 87. Quite a run.

#11 Posted by BlackHand (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan!

#12 Posted by KasadyCarnage (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy B-Day, Stan the Man
#13 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

make mine marvel stan, happy happy
#14 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan

#15 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday to the man that made from Marvel what it is today.

#16 Posted by MysteriousBlack (203 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday, Stan Lee. You're the greatest =)
#17 Posted by Croz1007 (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday to Stan.  Without him comics would be pretty boring.

#18 Posted by frogger (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday and I wish you many more.

#19 Posted by Namor1987 (1881 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan Lee

#20 Posted by Rabbit Tots (477 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Mr. Lee marry me.
#21 Posted by juniorlhulk (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan

#22 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

did it on twitter!

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

happy bday stan
#24 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy burfday stanny

#25 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday, Stanley Lieber!!!!!!!

#26 Posted by camodude (193 posts) - - Show Bio

happy b-day Stan. save me a piece of cake will you?

#27 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan :)

#28 Posted by timrothsays (653 posts) - - Show Bio

oh shi~

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!11

#29 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy birthday Stan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#30 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan the man! Thanks for everything!
#31 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I need to meet Stan , Joe Simon and Gerry Robinson damn it before it's too late !! 

Anyways Happy Birthday Stan "The Man" Lee !!!
#32 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee can only get older, his mutant healing factor will keep him alive.....Happy Birthday!

#33 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan!  

How awesome was it for you to interview him, Babs?!?  Bet you will never forget that one!
#34 Posted by Quest (108 posts) - - Show Bio

happy birthday stan

#35 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan!!!
#36 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

Hppy B-Day Mr. Lee and many many more.
#37 Posted by grimreaper1980 (619 posts) - - Show Bio

happy birth day to the king of marvel comics, thank you sir

#38 Posted by LauraXx23 (88 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rabbit Tots said:
"Happy Birthday Mr. Lee marry me. "

Me too!
#39 Posted by Winduizcool (775 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan!

#40 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7580 posts) - - Show Bio

Have a good one sir, if i were wearing a hat i would tip it to you

#41 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

Dear Stan, I wish I will be half as insane & creative as you when I am your age ;)  Seriously... Excelsior, Mr Marvel!  Keep up the good work!!

#42 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. lee......what was it like to work with Steve Ditko? jk but srsly

#43 Posted by tensor (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday Stan

#44 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Happy Birthday!!! YOU'RE AMAZING!
#45 Posted by Eccentric (189 posts) - - Show Bio

happy B-day ^^

#46 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan is one of the all time fiction greats, I have a couple of books from him signed that will always be 2 of the best books in my collection. God bless Stan, Now write us more comics!

#47 Posted by Incredible Hulk-Prime (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

"Happy Birthday Stan Lee!"
#48 Posted by MysterioMaximus (931 posts) - - Show Bio

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STAN "THE MAN" LEE! You're the best!
#49 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

OH GOSH! Happy Birthday Stan! I hope it's a blessed day... well whats left of it xP
#50 Posted by sevennames27 (1583 posts) - - Show Bio
Happy Birthday Stan    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.