Follow

Stamford, CT

Location » Stamford, CT appears in 84 issues.

The start of the civil war. Stamford CT was a city, which was obliviated by the mutant, Nitro. He was provoked by Namorita, initiating the Super-human Registration Act. This was the devastating reason for the civil war, which caused great aggravation for the planet Earth.

Off My Mind: Should Real Locations Be Used In Comics?

• 93 results
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#51  Edited By cbishop

I think using real locations is a problem.  Once you destroy something real, you're creating your own history from that point on.  If you wipe Hawaii off the map with a volcanic eruption and the tsunami to end all tsunamis, in 1995, then what do you do when Obama becomes president in 2008, and he's from Hawaii?  You can't reference Obama in your comic now. 

In comics, Pittsburg, Detroit, Stamford, and Moscow have been wiped off the face of the Earth (in New Universe, Image, Marvel and Blackball Comics, respectively).  It's just hard to come back from that, unless you pull a time travel save, or something like that.  I think the destruction should be limited to fictional cities or at least fictional buildings in real cities, so it doesn't futz with real things we might want to play off of later.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By agent9149

i love it when they use real locations...but i also think that they can show creativity and make places up

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By TheMess1428

Sub Diego went back up to the surface by Aquaman in World War III.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Yesssss

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Bestostero

Yes!  It's relate-able weeeee!

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Calvin

I say use real locations, and use world wide locations, not just USA. 

And I would love to see my heroes in my hometown!

KNIGHT SAVIOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 42

#57  Edited By KNIGHT SAVIOR

l have no problem if they use real cities in comics as long as the stories for it is good
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By NightFang3

I don't know why not, unless the government is hiding something there?

DavidRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DavidRose

Real life locations are used in comics to help give it that feeling of reality. Making you feel like heroes are actually among us. And hopefully, making the stories feel closer to home. That's why why real 'spots' are used. And yeah, it woul be frickin' awesome to see the next issue of Spider-man take place in my hometown. But, on the other hand, I doubt they're actually going to portray the way it actually is. I doubt they're actually going to pay homage to the street's I drive down everyday.

As a creator, I like the idea of building a city. Building a home for heroes and even civilians. Crafting a place where the history, is one of my own choice. An interesting and unique place, where whatever I create -- is simply my own creation.  

So using actual places, like New York, or San Diego, or even Texas -- is just fine. But I like it more when 'new' cities are crafted and where the possiblities seem endless in comparison to using that of real locations.

Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#60  Edited By ReverseNegative

I like it, unless the hero's powerrs are really outragous, like in Prototype.

Avatar image for deadlywolverine
    DeadlyWolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DeadlyWolverine

I want Sub-Diego, it's cheaper DIVING down there than driving or flying. lol

JD907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By JD907

I don't really mind it, since it's always implied that this is all in an alternate universe anyway.
    waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By waruikumo

FYI - the picture of "sub diego" is a picture at least in part of chicago.  The building on the right is the "stone container" building.   

I like both to an extent.  I mean with metropolis and gotham existing in DCU, it doesn't make that much sense to also have a NY, to me.  Since New York just can't be new york if its the small fry inbetween the big two.  At least I remember seeing hearing somewhere that Metropolis, Gotham, and NY are all on the same "bay", and I thought Morrison put NY in between the two.  

Blackestnight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Blackestnight1

Stamford is not in the comics. The comics spell it Stanford with an N. 

And I think they said soldiers field. with an S but I might be wrong about that one. 

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

No I prefer fake cities it brings more fantasy, noir, and fun to the story. As well as you can make new lands and not have to follow the architecture of our sh@tty cities

Latuki Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Latuki Joe

I've always hated real cities in comics.  I'd prefer it stay fiction.  I guess it bothers me, but I don't mind enough.  I just wish everything wasn't always set in NYC, lovely as it may be...

Noray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Noray

Only problem I have is that it just becomes implausible that so much happens in one place, most notably NYC in the Marvel U. The city gets torn up every few months or so it seems, but it's always rebuilt almost instantly. It's a little crazy. Who'd even live there, when there's such a ridiculous number of heroes and villains there?

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By B'Town

I'm neither for or against using real locations in comics.  I'm another who thinks of the characters, stories and places I read about as an alternate universe.    

I think that might also be why I so easliy embrace the most absurd characters ((Groot)) and storieslines.  What I read is absolute fantasy to me even when they use something real. 

BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

I think it`s cool that they often use real locations but sometimes it`s interesting to read a comic in a location that doesn`t exist .

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By Pizawle

I agree. Kind of. They should only have fictional cities or only have real ones.. What is the damn point of mixing it?

AoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AoA

Wasn't there an issues of Avengers (vol 3?) in 2001 that had the destruction of the UN building?  I think soon followed by the real life destruction of the Twin Towers.  I seem to remember this happening, someone from space, (Kang?) destroyed it, maybe the Invisible Woman was there to save people?  Issue vol 3. #41 has Kang and the UN on it (June 2001), is that it?
    I was behind a bit on my reading when it happened so it might not have been that close to September 2001 and then I stopped reading comics for a while after that so I don't remember how it all turned out. 

All I remember was I thought it was pretty strange to me.  Like how could they destroy the UN? It exists in real life, its important, it would be a major divergence from reality. 
    That being said, real life locations are much better.  It makes the Marvel stories seem more real to me (since I live in NYC). 
    briangermain1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By briangermain1

Well New York has been the locale of most of the original MArvel Denizens for quite sometime. Why? probably because thats what the artists and writer's had the most of to work with as far as reference goes... Kind of hard to get reference on a place that doesn't exist without creating it from scratch. So while I think it is an awesome exercise in imagination to just creat places from scratch i also think that some people just don't have it in them to do so.  I also feel that if Spider-Man was from my hometown My hometown would be much more well known... So in that vein I have used many current real life locations in my comics.. some times people use them anyway and just change the name I mean the original Metropolis seemed very much like new york to me. So whose to say what is best?  But do i think a superhero or supervillain is going to wreak havok in my neighborhood anytime soon?  Probably not.

Avatar image for masterthanatos13
    MasterThanatos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MasterThanatos13

For me it depends on the context. If it's more realistic then I prefer an actual city. For the most part I like fictional locations because I think it's easier to build a character around that location I mean Batman has gloomy Gotham and Superman has relatively sunny Metropolis. Nearly every Marvel character seems to be from NYC...not that there's anything wrong with it because I do love Spiderman and the X-Men but I guess I just feel like having them all in one major location that I know a bit too well now gets old. I like new locations because I don't know them. Yeah that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Avatar image for whiteandnerdy91
    whiteandnerdy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By whiteandnerdy91

Well considering i am from a little hick town in SC, I would just be shocked that it would be mentioned at all let alone destroyed.    
    SigersonLTD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SigersonLTD

Is this even a question? I thought we answered it ages ago, when instead of creating fictional city names, we did indeed start using real names. It would seem that you're attempting to walk a fine line, and have your Kate and Edith too. 

Clearly, when you drove by Soldier Field and it was still standing, that infers that you were not in the Universe wherein it got destroyed. Haven't you been watching Fringe? Is it your contention that you should stomp down creative expression, simply because an artist or writer thought something would look cool for their fans?  Anyone remember: 

Not a Dream, Not a Hoax, Not an Imaginary Story?

No? It is the conclusion of those in the know, that they are all imaginary.  
    Wow. Just wow.
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By roadbuster

For me, it takes me out of the story more times than it puts me in it only because sites like the Flat Iron Building or Times Square are just way too overused and I used to live in Manhattan.  It's kind of like when they shoot a TV show or film in Toronto or Vancouver and try to tell you its New York or Chicago... the overuse or wrong use of landmarks gives me pause.  Similarly there's a disconnect when you look out your office window and don't see Avengers Tower, the Baxter Building, or any of the comic-related impact. 

On the other hand, a world that is completely devoid of major metropolitan cities which are ingrained into our American psyche would be just as disappointing.  Many cities (locations or what not) are literally shorthand for lifestyles, attitudes, or larger concepts like Hollywood or Detroit or Boston.  And it's a little weird if a fictional city starts to co-opt too much of the identity of a real world fixture... maybe like Gotham and Metropolis used to both borrow from New York / Newark (though I think both have evolved since then) or Keystone's unrepentant similarity to Detroit thematically. 

So I guess I want a balance where you have fictional cities for your action to take place in, real cities so that pop-culture and geography is still relevant and referenced, and no permanent or dramatic effects being tolled on those real life cities.

comicscott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By comicscott

it would be awesome to see my home city in a comicbook even if it was destoryed

pantslabyrinth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By pantslabyrinth

I'd love if my city was destroyed in the comics. I'm evil, I know.

MEGATGJX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MEGATGJX

I personally like the fact that real locations are distroyed in comics because I mean if gotham city or metopolis or any other fictional location is distroyed I end up like who cares. I mean so what if its not like that in real life I am persoally glad its not. Unless im causing the distruction of course jk. 
    But seriosly if some sees something easly distroyed in popular media I think one would be disenchanted from distroying it. 
    ShawnMichael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By ShawnMichael

They should use them in comic books because we see them in movies and it doesnt bother nobody.

Rosebunse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rosebunse

Sure, they can be overused and if done in a crappy fashion, it can look pretty bad. But if you want something emoiotanl, then use real cities.
    Avatar image for the_jokes_on_you
    The_Jokes_On_You

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By The_Jokes_On_You

Well, think of it this way, if a Superhero lives in a real-life area then we might understand the pain or horrificness of losing that area to the villians or villans who blew it up. Then we understand the heros motives a little better.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By Gylan Thomas

We've seen national monuments destroyed only to show up later in another story once fan's have forgotten they were destroyed.
    That's when it becomes a problem.

Fredgerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Fredgerd

I think its fine as long as they rebuild anything they destroy within a year or two. It's no more weird than say, Lex Luthor being president. Whats more awkward is if real locations are destroyed and they can't create a plausible explanation for why some superhero didn't just fly in and save the day.

Semi-off topic: It's really annoying to me when a fake location is inconsistant about where on the map it is. Throws off my sense of geographical awareness big time. Like when Metropolis is located on the east coast but somehow still driving distance from Smallville, KS.

SecretOrigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SecretOrigin

I wonder if any comics have used grand rapids, michigan as a location.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#86  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Well, my opion is that we should use real locations in comics. The writers don't have to focus creating locations, there by giving them more time to actully write a plot making it Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (I think thats more than 8 characters).

Plus, when you go places you can say, "Hey, thats where Spiderman defeated Green goblin" or "thats where Powergirl lives".

Though I sort of wish there were some comics set where I live, but hey as long as it doesn't get distroyed I'm fine.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Eyz
    @IrishX said:

" Yes.... Absolutely. Just one more reason I prefer Marvel. "

Because Latveria, Genosha, Wakanda, Providence & Madripoor to name but a few are all "real" :P
    Seriously though, I can accept both real locations or fictive ones in comics. They can be changed, destroyed, take over or anything... It's like watching those locations destroyed in movies! There can be Spider-men, Ghostbusters, Godzilla, etc.. running havoc in NYC, it's not reality. I have no problems seeing those real life locations highly changed in stories.. Like, say the comics Y:The Last Man, the movie I am Legend or any Zombie flick, sometimes it's the whole world that gets destroyed and changed!

Like scorpius72 said on page one. You have to take it as a story, a "what if?" kind of situation.

As for the fictive cities/places, I really dig those two. It lets writers and artists create an entire original place from the ground. Let the creativity loose. Which is great! Don't you like the grim and gritty crime-fueled Gotham City? Or the almost too perfect Hi-Tech Metropolis?

'Nuff said!
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#88  Edited By IrishX
    @Eyz:
    I must say I find it funny that you picked my post when many said the same exact thing basically. 

Yes Marvel has made up places as well but I would prefer that they didn't. Even so a place like Wakanda can atleast be identified as being in Africa where with Gotham who knows where that is. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e2bfb4a59ec7
    deactivated-5e2bfb4a59ec7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If real locations can be used in tv shows, movies, music videos, video games, and books then there shouldn't be anything wrong with them being used in comics books.
    foxx_wertas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By foxx_wertas

I like the idea of real cities being in comics.  It shows that the writers can be fairly knowledgable about areas in the real world.  It makes comics more personal in a world that obviously can't be real.
    aloe vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By aloe vera
    @ComicMan24 said:
    " It doesn't matter that much to me. But then again, if my hometown was destroyed in comics, I guess I would feel a bit awkward. I contradict myself, I know. "
    Haha. Nice. :)
    Veidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Veidt

I think it would be nice to think "hey, I know that place!", I live in Brazil, so I can't say it that much while reading a comic ^^'
    I was writing a big explanation of why you shouldn't mind events like that happening in real life-based places, but let's keep it simple: just think of comics like an alternative reality (alas, try not to think of them as reality at all), an 2D reality, so if you get upset when your city is destroyed in a comic, try to remember "it was just a 2D version, no one got really hurt or lose anything" and just try to enjoy reading =)

sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#93  Edited By sweatboy

i love how i forget to post and leave a half finished post on this box when the computer decides to restart itself.  I guess this is a reply to both this topic and the one after.

I ran into this forum that tried to figure what the true location of Metropolis was. (it might actually have been Wiki, not a forum) New York was an obvious candidate, as was Chicago cos apparently it was suggested in a Lois&Clark episode (the one with the alien assassin) but they leaned more toward KANSAS,.. home of Schuster and Seigel, where there was an actual city with distinct landmarks similar to those in the comic! One theory was that Metropolis and Gotham were the same city, one at night and one in the day, (putting Superman and the Bat in 2 realities? i actually like this idea better). I would later be in Gotham, Singapore, (an actual place) like a week later, where this guy joked that THEY were Batman's real home. Batman was asian? hmmm, why not? What i like about Gotham though, and i guess most of these fictional cities, is that they actually have MAPS. WHERE are they? not really defined, but it's REAL.

i had a tendency to put all my favourite characters in one place, when i was little. Of course the Turtles were in NY, no doubt, (they would sometimes go to central park battling monsters), and the X Men were in Salem Center NEW YORK, spidey went to ESU, NEW YORK (although ESU is fake as far as i know), then there was Superman, who worked at the Planet, a big building, and flew around more big buildings,..(i was too young and totally missed the "METROPOLIS" there, so i just thought of the city as city, nameless) that was New York right? it had to be NY. And since i also like Tarzan, the Thundercats and other characters, the location i had put them in my head was.....a lot of things. How do Tarzan and Superman work together? One guy has to go to the other guy's place? but how long could he stay? Solution: there was a jungle right next to the city. There was also the golden gate bridge (or something LIKE that i guess) washington monument, AND the statue of liberty there. The leaning Italian tower might have been there too, since the Highlander fought up there once. But it didn't matter if it was real or not, my characters had to hang out, that's what was important. It got EVEN stranger when i realized i was living on a 342km by 400 km island where the only real "city" had buildings like... 500ft, and the tallest i had actually seen was like 60 feet? 

I think the whole point in comics or FANTASY is to get away from reality. It's the same thing i said about that "What race is a superhero?" thing. Ok so when your city is in the comics, that's cool! but the million other people who DONT fall into the comics,... it's not fair then. It's like how Zod goes straight over to the white house,.....and he's conquered the WORLD. There's more TO the world. Marvel definitely has more PRECISE description about whereabouts and people. But the DC locations excite you more, cos you're being TAKEN to a new place, like Hyrule. That's what i think

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#94  Edited By Mercy_

I think it adds authenticity. It also makes it a little more interesting to us as readers seeing these places that we are so familiar with used in cool new ways. It also makes us more invested in the story, IMO.   

@RedRobin92 said:

" When a place like Gotham or Metropolis is torn asunder it seems like no big deal because it is always happening there, but when an actual location is blown apart and people are hurt, then you can understand the gravity of the situation more.  "

This. 
    Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Paracelsus

My view is whynot?- Louis L'Amour once noted that when he mentioned a spring in his Western novels, not only did it exist in reality but its water was good to drink. If we can have real live people( esp Presidents- FDR, JFK, LBJ , nixon, Carter, both Bushes, Clinton and more recently Obama) then why not real live cities such as Chicago, San Francisco, LA, London, Moscow?

Terry

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.