I don't see her as a 'Joke' Character

#1 Posted by Gold_Kitsune (202 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get why some people see her as a joke character. She has a set range of powers and defeats her foes because they under estimate her or are unprepared for her unique attack style.

She feels fear, embarrassment, loyalty and all other emotions of other hero's so what makes her a joke? Who disided that just because her animal isn't a carnivore, it instantly makes her a joke?

Ok, I'll admit her fist appearance was likely meant to be a 'joke' or 'funny' story, but as of GLA onward she has soiled, credible feats. We see that she's strong and flexible enough to kick a fat guy strait into the air. Agile enough to dodge Madok's fire (granted his vision was impaired) and resourceful enough to take on crazy odds! Thats not a joke, its what hero's do! They save the day even if it seem impossible, they find a way!

What, exactly, makes her a joke?

#2 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

you are not alone on this , even though i got a theory on why she happens to beat down very powerful people

#3 Posted by JonSmith (3807 posts) - - Show Bio

She herself isn't so much a joke as her premise.

She's Squirrel Girl.

SQUIRREL. GIRL.

I can count all the animals less frightening than a squirrel on ONE hand.

They don't even have any real offensive weapons. Even a spider has fangs and venom.

Yet somehow she goes toe to toe with the heavy hitters: Thanos, Doctor Doom, Iron Man, Galactus, etc. Villains who register as a worldwide threat. Villains who Tony Stark looks at and thinks, "I am so glad I designed a waste disposal unit in my suit ages ago." Yet a hero with only medium level stats and an immensely underwhelming premise beats these guys handily. Now you say she beats her foes because they underestimate her. Let's bring in Thanos: This guy decided to destroy the universe to impress his crush. Look up the definition of 'Excessive Force' and you'll see a picture of his purple mug about to blast you. He underestimates EVERYBODY, because he's STRONG ENOUGH FOR IT NOT TO MATTER.

And Squirrel Girl beats him. She may be a perfectly reasonable character (In fact, I quite liked her brief appearance as the Earth's Mightiest Nanny) but the premise, of the least threatening hero in the universe beating up the number one bada**es of that universe is so ridiculous I can't help laugh. Hence, the joke.

#4 Posted by akbogert (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

She herself isn't so much a joke as her premise.

She's Squirrel Girl.

SQUIRREL. GIRL.

I can count all the animals less frightening than a squirrel on ONE hand.

They don't even have any real offensive weapons. Even a spider has fangs and venom.

Yet somehow she goes toe to toe with the heavy hitters: Thanos, Doctor Doom, Iron Man, Galactus, etc. Villains who register as a worldwide threat. Villains who Tony Stark looks at and thinks, "I am so glad I designed a waste disposal unit in my suit ages ago." Yet a hero with only medium level stats and an immensely underwhelming premise beats these guys handily. Now you say she beats her foes because they underestimate her. Let's bring in Thanos: This guy decided to destroy the universe to impress his crush. Look up the definition of 'Excessive Force' and you'll see a picture of his purple mug about to blast you. He underestimates EVERYBODY, because he's STRONG ENOUGH FOR IT NOT TO MATTER.

And Squirrel Girl beats him. She may be a perfectly reasonable character (In fact, I quite liked her brief appearance as the Earth's Mightiest Nanny) but the premise, of the least threatening hero in the universe beating up the number one bada**es of that universe is so ridiculous I can't help laugh. Hence, the joke.

QFHilarity

(Also, I am now very interested in this character)

#5 Posted by Joygirl (15340 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see Angelina Jolie as attractive. Apparently, I too, am wrong.

#6 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh yeah Squirrel Girl is a character most people should read with a grain of salt , I'm waiting for her dark , serious solo title " Squirrel girl MAX" or "S for Squirrel" or "The Dark Squirrel Knight rises" LoL,no no come on... I can't take a goofy lovable character that serious. To be fair with her win streak Squirrel Girl probably just has that much more Luck then Domino.

#7 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

A better term is lethal joke character. Apparently people still underestimate since they are either shallow or feel they are not in the credentials of a powerful character. There will be those ones that still have to learn the hard way.

I think this is the fourth time I shown this video. When you look at the animal kingdom you should take deeper look at what they can do.

I recognize her abilities. She also has insider knowledge as the squirrels in Marvel can break the fourth wall. You can say she has hacks. Any dark past she had learn to let it go and realize others have it worst and not hold grudges and learn keep away if she did. The only way that can resurface is if she had to go back the town she leaved which she doesn't. She is Marvel's exception in a way.

#8 Posted by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, this is only a problem if you equate "joke character" to "bad/worthless character".

After all, current Deadpool is (by my definition anyway) a "joke character". In other words, a character whose premise is designed to be ridiculous and/or amusing. Squirrel Girl was and is designed to be inherently amusing, just as Batman was and is designed to be scary and intimidating. Jokes are fun, amusing, and sometimes even poignant. "Joke characters" can be all these things as well.

You won't find a bigger fan of Squirrel Girl than me. She's probably my favorite comic character, period. But I will fight tooth and nail to keep her from being "taken seriously". Cause as soon as a character is "taken seriously", it almost always kills everything that makes a character like Squirrel Girl great. "Serious" characters get shot and crippled, they turn evil for stupid reasons, they do horrible things to enemies AND friends, and they're subjected to comic book writers constantly trying to make them "better".

No, I'm in NO hurry for the rest of the comic book world to take Squirrel Girl seriously.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5550 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not an expert on her, but she doesn't seem like a joke to me. She seems kinda cool.

#10 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3664 posts) - - Show Bio

I don`t see her as one either. Frankly, he needs an ongoing in what she saves the universe.

#11 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully they do not over saturate it like they did Wolverine, Venom, Hulk Spiderman, Wolverine again…

#12 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio

Bahahahahahaaahahahaaha

#13 Posted by Degalon (737 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.