undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Jessica Drew’s had a busy few months. She was grabbed into an inter-dimensional fight for her life against some of the most vicious villains from any world, she had to be equal parts spy, thief and fighter, and all that, along with the previous artist on her series, put her in some very awkward, stunted positions. But now she’s back on her own world, in her own time and in New York. And while it’s a city that might not be her home, but at least she’s familiar with it. It’s not long before she’s drawn into some of her old ways, however, as a case falls across her (now disused) desk: a case involving super-villain families being abducted and either unreported, or having the report quickly withdrawn. The person behind her getting this info? It’s only Daily Bugle grizzled veteran Ben Urich. Dennis Hopeless is practically making a career out of taking established characters and throwing them into completely new, foreign situations and for a character was well-traveled as Drew, that’s not an easy task. But in this storyline, he uses a very smart, clever bit of unfamiliarity: sympathy for super-villains. Most of what we get here is Drew’s narration, but when she has interactions with people it’s actually a little jarring in a really good way. Hopeless writes her not as cold, but very matter-of-fact and straightforward. She’s someone who has little time for niceties and wants to get straight to the point, making her stand out in a universe where everyone increasingly wants to be a little bit wry and a little bit gregarious.

Javier Rodriguez handles pencils and colors, and with Jessica rocking her new costume, it was going to take an artist with some real vision and talent to change what had been essentially the same costume for forty years. Rodriguez has pulled off not only the new costume, which looks functional and badass, having a few new tricks that it can deploy at will able to operate in, but he’s managed to make the action in the space she’s occupying looking fantastically fluid and vibrant while maintaining an air of dark intent. The action in this issue feels like it could be over-the-top at a few parts, most notably an actual arrow drawing the arc of her foot, but the style is just unreal enough to make it feel in place. Alvaro Lopez handles inks and provides a large part of why the visuals work so well, calcifying the solid, hard-hitting visuals and highlighting plenty of this strange world.

The Bad

This issue is extraordinarily chatty. While it’s meant to be an obvious jumping-on point, it doesn’t feel necessary that we get such an intense level of detail on almost page about the character’s backstory and her (very simple) reasons for jettisoning her previous, far more complicated, life.

The issue is set in New York, which appears to be its long-term home, and while parts of that work very well, overall it feels like if Drew really, really wanted to escape her previous life and get a fresh start, she could do that in another city much more easily, and give the readers a new setting to get invested in. One without at least three other major Spider-types active.

The Verdict

As far as new starts go, they don’t get much better than this. Drew’s shed a lot of her previous attachments, giving her a real chance at a new beginning freed from a great many of the constraints, both for the character and the stories she could be involved with, of S.H.I.E.L.D. and even the Avengers. It’s time for her to re-establish herself and Hopeless and Rodriguez are absolutely on the right track as far as that goes.

superhoodie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By superhoodie

I found it very good that issue, however i didn't like that the writer made she drive a motorcycle, if only it were Spider-Mobile. hahaha

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

I loved this issue!This and Hawkeye were really good!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This was pretty good. I'm interested enough in the story to stick around and the art is a massive improvement. I kinda agree a new city would be good. I'd love to see her pack up shop and move to Miami. It would make a good occasional team up, or hook up, with Ant-Man.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

This is what issue one should have been. I really didn't like how the first 4 issues were connected to Spider-Verse, being that this was an all new series. But after reading this issue, I like the direction they're going to go. And I'm digging the new outfit.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HushoftheWind

can she not fly anymore? im confused, did something happen to her powers?

Avatar image for everybodyhateschris
    EverybodyHatesChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can she not fly anymore? im confused, did something happen to her powers?

not sure if this is the actual answer but my theory is Spider-Verse. Gwen powers were effected afterwards so maybe her's as well. Also she is taking a more street level approach so maybe she is keeping flying on a low key. Either way I am enjoy this book and it's new status quo. I'll be reading it more.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I loved all of this. I love this direction for Jessica and I love the reasons behind it and I love the inner dialogue. It fit very nicely and exactly what I have wanted for this character for a long, long time.

@daredevil21134 said:

Yes! Plus, I have to admit, I got a little happy when she and Clint made amends in Hawkeye's second last issue with Fraction still at the helm and I am hoping their relationship will continue and be explored in this book. I think Hawkeye's is a bit too busy as it is with Kate and the storytelling of Clint and Barney's past, but it can fit nicely in here. I don't want it to be a big focus, but a nice little side story, you know?

Anyway, I love the new outfit and the bike. Jessica looks and is acting bad_ss. I am very, very content.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I loved all of this. I love this direction for Jessica and I love the reasons behind it and I love the inner dialogue. It fit very nicely and exactly what I have wanted for this character for a long, long time.

@daredevil21134 said:

Yes! Plus, I have to admit, I got a little happy when she and Clint made amends in Hawkeye's second last issue with Fraction still at the helm and I am hoping their relationship will continue and be explored in this book. I think Hawkeye's is a bit too busy as it is with Kate and the storytelling of Clint and Barney's past, but it can fit nicely in here. I don't want it to be a big focus, but a nice little side story, you know?

Anyway, I love the new outfit and the bike. Jessica looks and is acting bad_ss. I am very, very content.

I have to admit I am relieved to see Fraction no longer on Hawkeye.The I'm not Daredevil reference made me cringe.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

@ms-lola said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I have to admit I am relieved to see Fraction no longer on Hawkeye.The I'm not Daredevil reference made me cringe.

Are you actually saying you don't think Fraction's Hawkeye run was good? o.o

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yes. I cringed too. (:/)

I didn't know you disliked Fraction on Hawkeye's book. I hate seeing him go, to be honest.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack:

Yes,I wasn't a fan of the constant use of the bro and Clint not being able to anything right from walk straight or fight while Kate looked strong and capable.If you like funny books than thsi is your nook.I say this a huge Clint Barton fan who acyually owns his first comic apparances.I enjoy Hawkeye & Mockingbird and Hawkeye Blind spot way more than Fraction's version.Clint was never that incapable or a screw up imo.

@ms-lola said:

@daredevil21134 said:

I didn't know you disliked Fraction on Hawkeye's book. I hate seeing him go, to be honest.

It's totally okay,everyone has different taste.And Clint is a lot of things but I don't recall him being a cheater.Cllint cheating on Jessica with a random woman sickened me.So yeah,me and Fraction's Hawkeye don't mix well.I'm not as vocal about as I am about Waid's DD.I felt Fraction made Clint look bad and didn't res[ect himand made Kate look righteous and capable.I'm glad to see that Lemire is making them both respectable and capable.Fraction made Clint get owned by regualar Hydra lackiies wihile teamimg up with the Avengers.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack:

Yes,I wasn't a fan of the constant use of the bro and Clint not being able to anything right from walk straight or fight while Kate looked strong and capable.If you like funny books than thsi is your nook.I say this a huge Clint Barton fan who acyually owns his first comic apparances.I enjoy Hawkeye & Mockingbird and Hawkeye Blind spot way more than Fraction's version.Clint was never that incapable or a screw up imo.

@ms-lola said:

@daredevil21134 said:

It's totally okay,everyone has different taste.And Clint is a lot of things but I don't recall him being a cheater.Cllint cheating on Jessica with a random woman sickened me.So yeah,me and Fraction's Hawkeye don't mix well.I'm not as vocal about as I am about Waid's DD.I felt Fraction made Clint look bad and didn't res[ect himand made Kate look righteous and capable.I'm glad to see that Lemire is making them both respectable and capable.Fraction made Clint get owned by regualar Hydra lackiies wihile teamimg up with the Avengers.

Clint cheating made sense. He is a huge womanizer and self sabotaged like every relationship he's ever been in. He never even offically ended things with Bobbi before moving on to Jess.

The book is funny sure, but it wasn't just jokes and it didn't make them look bad. It was the most grounded book Marvel has ever attempted and it actually had people acting like real people, and left out all super hero suspension of disbelief. It was actually just one man going up against something no one man should be able to go up against. Which is the reason we have great books like All New Punisher and All New Black Widow where they keep getting knocked down because they are human. Axel has said a few different times all of their solo series are now trying to live up to the stander Fraction and Aja set.

Before this series no writer has ever brought a fraction of as much depth and complexity to Clint as Fraction did.(no pun intended) When something happens to Clint now, and not just in Hawkeye I actually care a lot more and worry because this book introduced him to us as a person for the first time and not as a superhero so i actually care about him.

Lemire's run so far to me has started off poorly. It just felt like every bubble of dialog was him trying super hard to be funny and not just letting it naturally happen, so that it actually just wasn't funny because of it. He also had Clint treating Kate like a kid in the things they said and the way he reacted when their entire dynamic/friendship was built around him not treating her like a kid and giving her equal respect. Then there is also the fact it opens up with them fighting some random Hydra people which just kind of kicks in the face the realistic street level stuff they had established for Hawkeye and has him off doing inconsequential saturday morning cartoon-esk style adventures that are really hard to actually care about.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Look,I'll just say that I disagree with just about everything you say.I know how you are when it comes onto books you like so I'm not gonna argue with you.I provided valid reasons of why I don't like it.The only thing I liked about it is gave Clint attention.And just because Clint hooks up with a lot of girls that he never commits to doesn't mean he was always a cheater nor does it mean it made sense for him to cvheat on Jessica with a stranger.Not to mention him making up with Barney from when we lasy seen didn't make much sense either.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Teerack

@daredevil21134: Clint and Barney have only been at odds for the past like 7 or so years of their lives. It doesn't change the fact that they grew up together as foster kids floating from house to house with no one but each other. It makes sense for him to love his brother enough to want to help him. It's like how so many people will keep giving their family members money when they say they've changed even though they keep gambling or something.

Just because you don't like the fact that he cheated doesn't in anyway mean it didn't make sense. Clint is scared of commitment and self sabotaging like this is a very common symptom of people with that flaw. You might think Clint is a better person then that and that's fine, but it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense because you don't think he would cheat. It was also a very in the moment situation where mostly anyone would be at risk of cheating. It's not like he was sneaking around Jessica's back all the time.

You can not like it. I'm saying you need to or trying to convince you to like it, but the reasons you gave just weren't true statements.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By daredevil21134

@teerack said:

@daredevil21134: Clint and Barney have only been at odds for the past like 7 or so years of their lives. It doesn't change the fact that they grew up together as foster kids floating from house to house with no one but each other. It makes sense for him to love his brother enough to want to help him. It's like how so many people will keep giving their family members money when they say they've changed even though they keep gambling or something.

Just because you don't like the fact that he cheated doesn't in anyway mean it didn't make sense. Clint is scared of commitment and self sabotaging like this is a very common symptom of people with that flaw. You might think Clint is a better person then that and that's fine, but it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense because you don't think he would cheat. It was also a very in the moment situation where mostly anyone would be at risk of cheating. It's not like he was sneaking around Jessica's back all the time.

You can not like it. I'm saying you need to or trying to convince you to like it, but the reasons you gave just weren't true statements.

I disagree.My reasons were fine.There's really no reason to discuss this any further with you so I'm just gonna agree to disagree.I can go on and on but I'm tired of sparing with you about different comic series that I hate and you love.Glad Fraction is gone and I hope to never see him on Clint again.

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I get you and yeah, him hooking up with that random redhead wasn't necessary. There did seem to be a little bit of making Kate look good and Clint a bit goofy, but it worked for me. I can see how it didn't for others and your criticism is one I've heard from other Hawkeye fans as well.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Thank you,that's all I was trying to say.I'm all for Kate looking good because I like her character but some of the things she said and did towards Clint was uncalled for and flat out disresepectful.I'm not saying it's impossible for Clint to cheat on a woman.Had it been Bobbi or even Natasha it would'e made sense but for him to do it with a complete stranger after telling a jealous Spider-Woman how much he wanted to be with her in Avengers, it made no sense.Also many street levelers including Hawkeye has done what out feats in combat.I saw Clint sneak into the dark Avengers base and open a big can of whoop ass on their members and now he can't even beat up regular gangsters and Hydra men.I'm not saying people shouldn't like it.It's just not what I want see from my Hawkeye books.I do appreciate how it gave Clint the popularity I feel he deserved.And the last time Clint and Barney seen each Barney hated him and all of a sudden they were okay?I feel if Clint disrespected Kate the way she disrespected him there would have bee an outcry.That's just how I feel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.