Spider-Woman Strikes Back At The Marvel Universe

Posted by G-Man (30364 posts) - - Show Bio
I would imagine that Spider-Woman is not a happy camper.  She's been kidnapped and impersonated by the Skrulls.  This lead to her basically being turned into public enemy number one.  Is she just going to take this lightly?  Apparently not.  Spider-Woman wants revenge.

Spider-Woman #1 will be coming from the Eisner-winning, New York Times best-selling team of Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev.  We will see Jessica Drew on a mission to reclaim her life.  Some how, Agent Brand and S.W.O.R.D. will play a role in that mission.

On August 19, 2009, we will see the debut of Marvel's first ever original motion comic as Spider-Woman cast her web over iTunes.  It will debut exclusively on iTunes at a special price of 99 cents for the first two weeks, after which it will revert to its normal price of $1.99 per episode.  The five episodes will give a "groundbreaking new look" at the Marvel Universe and will have art not seen anywhere else.  You can get more information about motion comics HERE.

I ran the trailer before but let's see it again:

There will be a printed comic as well.  Issue #1 is in stores on September 23, 2009.  There will be two covers, one by Alex Maleev and the other by Alex Ross.  It will be rated T+ and have a $3.99 price.  Here's a look at some of the pages (click to enlarge):

Staff
#1 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

any word on if it will be a worldwide itunes release? or is it going to be us only?

#2 Posted by WonderBoy1132 (276 posts) - - Show Bio

can't wait for this!!

#3 Posted by G-Man (30364 posts) - - Show Bio
@damswedon said:
" any word on if it will be a worldwide itunes release? or is it going to be us only? "
I asked my Marvel contact.  He doesn't believe it's worldwide but will look into it and get back to me.  Keep your fingers crossed.
Staff
#4 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @damswedon said:
" any word on if it will be a worldwide itunes release? or is it going to be us only? "
I asked my Marvel contact.  He doesn't believe it's worldwide but will look into it and get back to me.  Keep your fingers crossed. "
Lucky it's coming out on good old fashion paper then :)
#5 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Will this be a online exclusive? I would love to read this series but hate reading comics on screen. 

#6 Posted by jefprice (878 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds dandy.

#7 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3545 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd certainly hope they would make a published version of her story. After what happened to her in Secret Invasion. It should be interesting to see her 'revival' of sorts.

The irony. Jessica Drew is now a hated figure without good reason. Osborn is seen as a national hero. Just for getting a lucky shot off before someone else could kill the Skrull Queen.

#8 Posted by G-Man (30364 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @G-Man said:
" @damswedon said:
I asked my Marvel contact.  He doesn't believe it's worldwide but will look into it and get back to me.  Keep your fingers crossed. "
Lucky it's coming out on good old fashion paper then :) "
The digital version is said to have "art not seen anywhere else." 
Staff
#9 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like her voice. :(

#10 Posted by Twiglight (56 posts) - - Show Bio

id rather just a normal hard copy comic
#11 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio
@Twiglight said:
" id rather just a normal hard copy comic "
agreed.

we could have been at issue #4 by now but they had tie this whooole motion comic project to the book. Im sure motion comics have their advantages but it does leave a little less to the imagination. Jessica doesn't sound British to me. Well hopefully Bendis/Maleev have a few more issue under their belt because of the delay. 
#12 Posted by rogue588 (16 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
" @G-Man said:
" @damswedon said:
The digital version is said to have "art not seen anywhere else."  "
Ahhh...that's good. Continue to support the retailers, Marvel! 

Industry's tryin to kill monthlies with trades and price increases, now this. Brava, Joey Q! Brava!
#13 Edited by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

the only thing that will shock me...is if the comic ever actually comes out.
same with the " motion comic " as well.

no respect for Drew. none whatsoever. and she had her own cartoon at one time.
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
" @G-Man said:
" @damswedon said:
The digital version is said to have "art not seen anywhere else."  "

So far, the digital version has all the art that hasn't been seen anywhere else until it's been published in a traditional format ;) 

But why the online/only-in-the-US bonus?   A stunt like this isn't going to make people move to America to be closer to their comics... it just makes it more open to be pirated.  And they're likely to stick it in as 'extras' in the collected version when it inevitably comes out in a trade.
#15 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox kitty: so true, all of it. in fact, as far as extras, probably just even show up in an Annual, special, ect, or Amazing Spider-man Family like Spider-Girl did.

#16 Posted by PBee (2 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

still looks top-notch

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.