Is Bendis's run of spider woman worth reading?

#1 Posted by comkid100 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

I was at the comic shop and I saw it in trades & I was tempted to buy it since I'd never really read anything that focused on her.

I am aware that it was short lived but I figured it wouldn't hurt to read up on her.

Is it worth it?

#2 Posted by Wytchblade (27 posts) - - Show Bio

Agent of S.W.O.R.D. was a good read. His revamp of her origin was atrocious .

#3 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wytchblade: Is it really that bad? I can't remember it all that well, but I remember thinking it was quite good when I first read it. Although I did think the art was slightly off for Bendis' tone... what's the main problems with it?

#4 Posted by comkid100 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm shame they aren't answering I'd like to know why.

#5 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought the hardcover TPB purely for the art, and I'll say this. Bendis writes her like a teenager (at one point, he made her say 'cooties', I mean, seriously?) and it is pretty cringe-worthy at times, but Alex Maleev's art is literally divine. He draws her so impeccably, and the surroundings are so gritty it harkens back to their old Daredevil days.

The story is C+ at most, Bendis' characterization is D-, Maleev's artwork is A+.

#6 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@comkid100 said:

Hm shame they aren't answering I'd like to know why.

I think people's biggest problem is Spider-woman has a really complicated and constantly changing origin originally. Bendis just went for the, imo, best one and ignored the stuff about her being an evolved spider created by the High Evolutionary. But idk i haven't read much Spider-Woman, and as such i thought Origin was ok. It certainly fit in more with the Spider-Woman we've been seeing in Avengers than a woman who didn't know if she was a spider or a woman or w/e.

#7 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

I bought the hardcover TPB purely for the art, and I'll say this. Bendis writes her like a teenager (at one point, he made her say 'cooties', I mean, seriously?) and it is pretty cringe-worthy at times, but Alex Maleev's art is literally divine. He draws her so impeccably, and the surroundings are so gritty it harkens back to their old Daredevil days.

The story is C+ at most, Bendis' characterization is D-, Maleev's artwork is A+.

Maleev's art in Spider-Woman is great. She is outright gorgeous in that book.

#8 Edited by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35: That is the cover I LITERALLY bought the TPB for. No joke! So amazing.

#9 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect: I think this one is great too

#10 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

The highlight of her series (which imo was ended too soon, I tihnk it deserved maybe another 3 or 4 issues) was the crossover with Thunderbolts:

#11 Posted by daredevil21134 (12608 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it

#12 Posted by darthfury78 (941 posts) - - Show Bio

If the series had featured Spider-Man teaming up with Jessica, it would have succeeded. Especially if the opportunity for them to develop a mutual friendship after her mission was completed. Another thing that Peter could have done to help Jessica was to provide her with a device that would allow her to have full control of her pheromone powers like an on/off switch. This would certainly be of interest to her.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read it.I watched the motion comic version and I loved it.

Moderator
#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio
@darthfury78 said:

If the series had featured Spider-Man teaming up with Jessica, it would have succeeded. Especially if the opportunity for them to develop a mutual friendship after her mission was completed. Another thing that Peter could have done to help Jessica was to provide her with a device that would allow her to have full control of her pheromone powers like an on/off switch. This would certainly be of interest to her.

Posts like this is why Marvel doesn't give alot of female characters a chance to have their own books.Parker and Drew are friends but it's bad enough she took half of his name.It would be nice for her to have her own lane and do things that don't involve Spider-Man at all.
Moderator
#15 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78 said:

If the series had featured Spider-Man teaming up with Jessica, it would have succeeded. Especially if the opportunity for them to develop a mutual friendship after her mission was completed. Another thing that Peter could have done to help Jessica was to provide her with a device that would allow her to have full control of her pheromone powers like an on/off switch. This would certainly be of interest to her.

No it wouldn't............anyone who would buy a Spider-Woman book wants a Spider-Woman book not Spider-Man Team-Up.

#16 Posted by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

It was one of his better works. Really, I would number it among the types of works by him that give reason to when it's not cool when he writes poorly, though I determine that to be a factor of him being either in or not in his element (I actually think Marvel assigning talent to be books because of their notoriety rather than because they actually fit that style is one of their largest shortcomings in this era right next to stretching out some workers far too thin).

@Vance Astro said:

I didn't read it.I watched the motion comic version and I loved it.

I did both, and found the motion comic to be a bit more enjoyable, which is good props from me as I don't really enjoy much modern Bendis works, and motion comics normally give me migraines (I had to watch it in parts to pull it off).

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (15059 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it and I don't recommend it to anybody.

#18 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Wytchblade said:

Agent of S.W.O.R.D. was a good read. His revamp of her origin was atrocious .

What was wrong with the revamp? The art sucked IMO but the story was alot better than her original origin. 
 
@CATPANEXE said:

I did both, and found the motion comic to be a bit more enjoyable, which is good props from me as I don't really enjoy much modern Bendis works, and motion comics normally give me migraines (I had to watch it in parts to pull it off).

The only thing I didn't like about the motion comic is Jessica had a bit of a British Accent, that's not how I imagined her voice. I think this book proves though that Bendis isn't a bad writer, he's just either spread to thin or he simply CAN'T write team books.
Moderator
#19 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read it, but considering Jessica Jones was originally supposed to be Jessica Drew...

#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91403 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

I haven't read it, but considering Jessica Jones was originally supposed to be Jessica Drew...

Considering she was....?
Moderator
#21 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ReVamp said:

I haven't read it, but considering Jessica Jones was originally supposed to be Jessica Drew...

Considering she was....?

...Supposed to be Jessica Drew?

Or are you asking to finish my opinion?

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (58295 posts) - - Show Bio

heh, Bendis.
BB

#23 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

heh, Bendis.
BB

Bendis has written good things.

#24 Edited by darthfury78 (941 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

No it wouldn't............anyone who would buy a Spider-Woman book wants a Spider-Woman book not Spider-Man Team-Up.

I was referring to the idea of Peter Parker initially appearing in a story arc flashback where he develops a device for Jessica Drew to control her pheromone powers like an on/off switch. And a initial team-up would allow some of the Spidey readers to pick up Spider-Woman when she does her solo adventures in the next story arc. Sometimes, they could add a popular character to get things started.

It might have been true that Jessica Drew was to have appeared in Alias. But Marvel was too afraid. Thus Bendis had to create a whole new character. I guess it's true that Jessica Drew has a crush on Peter Parker afterall.

#25 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78 said:

@X35 said:

No it wouldn't............anyone who would buy a Spider-Woman book wants a Spider-Woman book not Spider-Man Team-Up.

I was referring to the idea of Peter Parker initially appearing in a story arc flashback where he develops a device for Jessica Drew to control her pheromone powers like an on/off switch.

Uhm to be polite what the hell are you talking about?!?

And honestly i dont think anyone buys comics anymore just because Spider-Man has a guest appearance. Considering he's in pretty much every book

#26 Posted by CATPANEXE (9357 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@CATPANEXE said:

I did both, and found the motion comic to be a bit more enjoyable, which is good props from me as I don't really enjoy much modern Bendis works, and motion comics normally give me migraines (I had to watch it in parts to pull it off).

The only thing I didn't like about the motion comic is Jessica had a bit of a British Accent, that's not how I imagined her voice. I think this book proves though that Bendis isn't a bad writer, he's just either spread to thin or he simply CAN'T write team books.

I agree with both ideals. No one would care if his works were lacking if they didn't think he had capability in the first place. Bendis to me is in the element of gritty noir type books that focus on a single character, usually also one that is more of an Indian than a Chief so to speak. But that's Marvels placement again to me. Someone like say Frank Miller wouldn't jump on a book like Pet Avengers. He knows better and stays within his own season. Marvel however would gladly put him there simply because his name sells, and not consider whether he was the fluid match for the book. Likewise this showed well with Fraction, whose style fit Iron Man like a glove, but contrasted with UXM. And seems to have become the staple of the company now, rather than there more applauded years where talent was assigned to the book types that they themselves did the best. Likewise with the stretched too thin part, and how with Bendis. From doing multiple books, planning the events, working outside the medium on the films, advertising, ect, all in addition to his personal life...well it's simple math that once a person get's up to doing three jobs full time, at least the quality of one them is going to suffer. And the accent threw me a as well.

#27 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1119 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed it mostly BECAUSE of the artwork. The story was decent, but could have been better.

#28 Posted by darthfury78 (941 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@darthfury78 said:

I was referring to the idea of Peter Parker initially appearing in a story arc flashback where he develops a device for Jessica Drew to control her pheromone powers like an on/off switch.

Uhm to be polite what the hell are you talking about?!?

And honestly i dont think anyone buys comics anymore just because Spider-Man has a guest appearance. Considering he's in pretty much every book

I was talking about Peter Parker(Not as Spider-Man) providing her with a device that would allow her to directly control her pheromones(The ability to attract men and repel women) like an on/off switch. And a past connection between Peter and Jessica Drew in a brief flashback story would get things interesting as past of the story. If the series had continued, Spider-Man would have appeared in a story arc with her.

#29 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthfury78: Why are you just writing fanfiction and presenting it as an actual thing? :S

#30 Posted by darthfury78 (941 posts) - - Show Bio

@X35 said:

@darthfury78: Why are you just writing fanfiction and presenting it as an actual thing? :S

It's just an opinion. One example of creating a strong mutual relationship between Peter Parker x Jessica Drew.

#31 Posted by davelecave (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, I think Bendis shines in the series that never see much spotlight (spider-woman, daredevil, moon knight).

#32 Posted by PassionFlower (963 posts) - - Show Bio

I very much enjoyed Bendis Spider Woman series I wish it had continued.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.