Follow

Spider-Men #2

Spider-Men » Spider-Men #2 released by Marvel on August 1, 2012.

Spider-Men #2

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It's a Marvel crossover that not only makes sense, but it's incredibly awesome so far. I love how this is coming together. I've always enjoyed the Ultimate Universe, and this is the crossover I've ALWAYS wanted to see, and it's not letting me down.

Brian Michael Bendis, who's been writing Ultimate Spider-Man since the inception of the first volume, does a great job here of grasping the voice of the 616 version of Spider-Man. I loved reading the dialogue between Miles and Peter. It was witty and quick, just how I like my Spidey dialogue. I really loved how the story progressed through this issue and Peter spending time with Ultimate Nick Fury. This issue made me feel like a kid in a candy shop. I was all smiles and giggles.

The weirdest thing about this book, as an AMAZING SPIDER-MAN reader, is that I've become used to Humberto Ramos' art, and seeing Peter drawn by Sara Pichelli was a weird moment. That feeling took about 15 seconds to get over because Pichelli's are is so cool. My favorite page, in this issue, which was pretty hard to pick, was Miles and Peter going at it, and Miles slides down Peter's webbing. Each panel is set-up very differently, and I love the use of angles within the panel itself.

I've always been a big Mysterio fan (not as much as I like the Lizard though), so seeing him as the main bad guy in this arc pleases me greatly. There's something revealed about Mysterio in the beginning of this issue which makes me question whether the Ultimate version of Mysterio ever existed, since I never read earlier Ultimate Spider-Man arcs featuring him.

The Bad

While the fight scene between Peter and Miles was really cool, it seemed a bit out of place. I didn't think there was a need for these characters to be fighting each other just because Miles knew Peter's identity. More so, this fight seemed to just showcase Miles powers to new readers. It's a good introduction to the powers and persona to Miles, but the fight is a bit out of place and feels forced.

The Verdict

As crossovers go, this was stellar. As regular issues go, this was still an awesome read. This is a crossover I've wanted to see for a long time, and I love how this is playing out thus far. Bendis is doing a great job at capturing these characters' voices and I love how the story is progressing. The art, by Pichelli, is fantastic, and I actually like her better than Ramos as a Spider-Man artist. I'm also a big Mysterio fan, so seeing him in these past two issues was great.

On the down side, I felt the fight between Miles and Peter was forced and it was only really there to showcase Miles' powers to new readers. It was a great scene, but again, it felt like it didn't belong.

Overall, I highly recommend this series and this issue. Try and pick up the first one as well to see how Peter got to the 1610 universe. 4 out of 5!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.