cm_cameron's Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil that Men Do #1 - What's New Pussy Cat? review

And I Thought My Jokes Were Bad

Against my better judgment, I went ahead and gave Kevin Smith's take on Spider-Man and the Black Cat a try. I won't go so far as to say that my judgment was wrong, but I will say that I was less right than I thought I'd be. But just barely.

Kevin Smith is a pretty funny dude, but only in the right settings. Spider-Man's world isn't one of them. His usual style is present here, but it comes across as him trying too hard. Spidey's jokes seem really forced and Cat is over-sexualized (that's saying something). It's like reading fan fiction. The script isn't a complete wash, though. It has its moments, but they aren't likely to stick with you once you close the book. Even now as I'm writing this review, less than a day after finishing the issue, I can't remember what lines or jokes I liked, just that there were some.

Unsurprisingly, given the writer, the story deals with drugs. Mysterious and unexplainable drug overdoses to be specific. It's an interesting enough idea and the writing isn't so bad that I won't continue the series, for now, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to read the next issue.