Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Would U Buy It #33: "What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1-3"

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop
    DateWUBI # 33:View:Attached to Forum:Back/ Next
    10/11/10What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1-3(Blog) (Forum)Spider-Man(Back) (Next)

We all have trade paperback (TPB) collections we'd like to see. Here's three of mine:

Proposed Title:What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1, ...Vol. 2 & ...Vol. 3.
    Alternate Title:Spider-Man: What If?, Vol. 1, ...Vol. 2 & ...Vol. 3.
    Vol. 1 Collecting 10 Issues:
    Vol. 2 Collecting 10 Issues:What If(1989) #31, 35, 42, 53, 58, 61, 72, 76, 82, 86.
    Vol. 3 Collecting 10 Issues:
    Covers: (click to enlarge)
    Vol 1 TPB Cover: What If (1977) #30
    Vol 1 TPB Cover: What If (1977) #30

Marvel has devoted just as many What If? stories to your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man as they have to the X-Men. Although Spidey's lagging way behind the merry mutants when you add in the Phoenix & Wolverine issues of What If?* These three volumes would be great, because they span all the way from the first issue of the 1977 What If? series, to the fairly recent Spider-Man: House of M storyline.

*see What If? X-Men, Vol. 1-3, What If? Phoenix and What If? Wolverine, Vol. 1-2, for a better idea of what I'm talking about.

For the covers, I wanted to go with something that showed the familiar Spidey costume, as much as possible. So for Volume 1, I'd go with What If (1977) #30, although the Showman Spidey on #19 is really tempting (if not for the guy in the purple plaid jacket).

Vol 2 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #42
    Vol 2 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #42

For Volume 2, the six-armed Spidey on What If (1989) #42.

Vol 3 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #99
    Vol 3 TPB Cover: What If (1989) #99

For Volume 3, I'd go with the red haired Spidey with Black Cat, on What If (1989) #99.

Update:

11/8/12: I added in two 2011 What If? one-shots: What If? Spider-Man (!!!) and Venom/ Deadpool: What If?. This let me move What If? (1989) #86 to Volume 2, and make each volume ten issues long, instead of ten, nine, and nine. The Venom/ Deadpool issue is a collected one-shot of the four-part back-up from these issues: What If? Iron Man: Demon In An Armor, What If? Wolverine: Father, What If? Spider-Man and What If? Dark Reign.

Would you buy it? Let me know in the comments, and thanks for reading.

More WUBI:

Back/ Next#Which WUBI will it be:
    Back:32.What If? Doctor Doom.
    Next:33.Megaton.

.WUBI Index.

Thanks again!

What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1-3
    What If? Spider-Man, Vol. 1-3
    Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superguy0009e

yes i would

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

I wouldn't only because I tend to stay away from elseworld stories. 

But any Spider-Fan would appreciate it :)

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ngroove

Few of them are OK, otherwise, I've read / read about / others that just seem too fannish.
    Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By turoksonofstone

I would buy it the Vol.1 stories are classics

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cbishop

ngroove: I agree about some of the later What If's - I think they got to be glorified fanfics, but a majority of modern readers seem to want to read that. I *love* What If's, Elseworlds, "imaginary stories," and any other type of out-of-continuity "had it happened this way" story, so I'll pretty much read them all, but I do think that many of the earlier stories were much more well crafted. Marvel, especially when they got to their What If one-shots, just seemed to go for "what if this story had the opposite ending from what we originally published?" If you can make a great story out of that, awesome (Phoenix: the Untold Story is a good example of that), but if not, then just leave it alone.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By mewmdude77

Yes

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mewmdude77: @turoksonofstone: @superguy0009e: Hey guys, sorry I never got back to you on these- I try to answer everybody. I just noticed your comments when I was fixing this one. Thanks very much for checking out my blog! :)

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would definitely buy it. They're great alternate stories. In fact, back in the day I purchased all of Vol 1 and most of Vol 2. Someday I may look at getting Vol 3. :-)

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: I was around then, but I didn't buy a lot of the What If's off of the stand. I have a bunch now, but my collection is incomplete. I haven't wanted to buy their What If Classic trades, because I was on a roll buying the single issues when the trades started coming out. They are great stories though. I want to finish my single issue collection, so I can see all of the backup material too. I know there was an Eternals run somewhere in the backups. :)

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop said:

@magnetic_eye: I was around then, but I didn't buy a lot of the What If's off of the stand. I have a bunch now, but my collection is incomplete. I haven't wanted to buy their What If Classic trades, because I was on a roll buying the single issues when the trades started coming out. They are great stories though. I want to finish my single issue collection, so I can see all of the backup material too. I know there was an Eternals run somewhere in the backups. :)

Yeah!.......I remember the Eternals. I think there were only around 20 issues in that first volume. I never got around to buying that series so I don't know how good it was and whether it's worth picking up. I know that Jack Kirby was involved so it can't be all that bad. I would probably buy it just for the art. That's one of the things I'm enjoying more now is checking out titles I missed out on. I'm finding some great back issues on mycomicshop.com and NewKadia.com at really good prices.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye: I still like to dig through the back issue bins at my LCS. But I'm talking about some Eternals backup features in What If. I don't know how many issues they appeared in, but I know there were several- I remember reading them as a kid. I just thought the Uni-Mind was cool. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.