Would seven Spiderman movies be too much?

#1 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I've often pondered about how many movies it would take to fit in all the villains most fans would like to see in a Spidey film series and I've concluded that it would probably take seven movies at the very least; see this post ---> http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/29-1443/my-proposition-for-future-spiderman-film-series/92-674026/#5 <--- and even then they'd have to include a multitude of villains in each movie. Would you be happy to watch seven movies about Spiderman, or would it be too much even if they would be awesome?

#2 Posted by TheTimShow (78 posts) - - Show Bio

The key would be if they could do it without a repetitive script, plus a few of the Spider-Villians would work well on film. It would definetly sell toys, and that's what film's these days really care about. It would be a gamble if they could pull it off. Most likely not, you would just end up with a bunch of mad fans and a ruined series (Like Superman 3, Superman 4, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin)

#3 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think any director can go that far without making the series decline in quality along the way.People will nitpick the films and criticize it for having too many villains.The main reason?Lack of character development is the number one reason.

#4 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as the movies had a new feel to them then i see no problem with it. James Bond has had 22 movies and the character can still come off as fresh. If comic books can recycle villains with new plots, then I don't see why movies can't do the same thing, so long as they are spaced out evenly

#5 Posted by sinestro_GL (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@CannotSpellMyName said:

I've often pondered about how many movies it would take to fit in all the villains most fans would like to see in a Spidey film series and I've concluded that it would probably take seven movies at the very least; see this post ---> http://www.comicvine.com/spider-man/29-1443/my-proposition-for-future-spiderman-film-series/92-674026/#5 <--- and even then they'd have to include a multitude of villains in each movie. Would you be happy to watch seven movies about Spiderman, or would it be too much even if they would be awesome?

If they were all awesome, why not? They are just films, after all. There are television series that go on for 10 or even 20 years and people still want to watch more as long as its good. For instance, Kelsey Grammer played the sitcom character Frasier Crane for successful 20 years on two shows (Cheers and Frasier).

As long as its good, who would complain?

#6 Edited by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

Lizard

Green Goblin(you could do one with the Hobgoblin too)

Venom/Carnage(2 movies)

Doc Ock

Mysterio would be awesome in a movie IMO

Kraven and Electro would be cool.

Rhino, Vulture, Shocker etc could be in movies but I don't think they warrant one by themselves.

Any others I missed?

#7 Posted by spideygirl (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea. I think it would be fair to see as many villains as possible.

#8 Posted by PaperDemon (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheTimShow said:

The key would be if they could do it without a repetitive script, plus a few of the Spider-Villians would work well on film. It would definetly sell toys, and that's what film's these days really care about. It would be a gamble if they could pull it off. Most likely not, you would just end up with a bunch of mad fans and a ruined series (Like Superman 3, Superman 4, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin)

All the examples above are from DC. This is Marvel and i think marvel has a better shot although i still love dc too

#9 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

A cheap way I think to get villains into the film but not detract from the course of it is to just throw in super-powered bank robbers or something during one of the 'our hero being a hero!' montages or something before the film really picks up pace and the villain takes centre stage. Sorta thinking something along the lines of Scarecrow's cameo in TDK, but I understand that was also partially tying up loose threads from Begins.

#10 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@darth_brendroid said:

A cheap way I think to get villains into the film but not detract from the course of it is to just throw in super-powered bank robbers or something during one of the 'our hero being a hero!' montages or something before the film really picks up pace and the villain takes centre stage. Sorta thinking something along the lines of Scarecrow's cameo in TDK, but I understand that was also partially tying up loose threads from Begins.

I've thought about that too and I think it's a great idea, though only with the less notorious villains. But I can definitely see a scene where Peter comes too late to where his supposed to be because he had to battle the Prowler, Ox, the Enforcers, Tombstone, Boomerang or someone similar on the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.