Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17251 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Will this be the week you stop reading Superior Spider-man?

• 167 results
    Lapsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

please god, not another Clone Saga moment.

i still want to believe that Parker isn´t dead, he is just thinking that he is otto or some shit like that.

Because we all know that Marvel can´t kill forever Peter Parker, i hope that this saga is just more than "we kill peter parker for real just to comeback in a year"

The only thing worse that killing characters in stupid ways is bring them back with deux ex machina.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@vance_astro: I dumped the book at 6AU. I don't waste my money reading something I don't like.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

I really hate what has Slott done to both characters that are Peter and Otto and there is a possible way for me to dump the book if Slott really gets rid off Peter.I will really hate it and I will just never read a book from him again.

Slott CAN'T get rid of Peter. Marvel wouldn't even ill of Cap, you think there are going to leave their most popular character ever dead? Especially with a new movie coming soon?

I expect everything from Marvel.I really don't think that he will really get rid of Peter but everything he has done since ASM #700 was atrocious.I can't stand a thing he has done and I really hope that he leaves Pete alone.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#104 vance_astro  Moderator

@lvenger said:

I don't waste my money reading something I don't like.

That's why I don't buy comics I think won't be any good, I just read them in the comic shop.

@tdk_1997 said:

I expect everything from Marvel.I really don't think that he will really get rid of Peter but everything he has done since ASM #700 was atrocious.I can't stand a thing he has done and I really hope that he leaves Pete alone.

I think he would have to choose on his own to stop writing Spider-Man. This is the same issue I had with Bendis. I couldn't stand Bendis about 2-3 years ago because of what he was doing with the Avengers. Hickman is doing it now but Bendis still has his hand in Age of Ultron. Superior Spider-Man is selling to well for Marvel to take Slott off of it or change direction. He'll be writing Spidey for a while.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Lvenger

@vance_astro: It would be fruitless to annoy yourself by reading something you're not enjoying. Comic books are supposed to be an enjoyable art medium and I only spend money on the ones I enjoy.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@vance_astro: It would be fruitless to annoy yourself by reading something you're not enjoying. Comic books are supposed to be an enjoyable art medium and I only spend money on the ones I enjoy.

Not if the person writing the book has access to ALL of your favorite characters.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people need to chill out and NOT wish death on someone for writing a story they don't like.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997 said:

I think he would have to choose on his own to stop writing Spider-Man. This is the same issue I had with Bendis. I couldn't stand Bendis about 2-3 years ago because of what he was doing with the Avengers. Hickman is doing it now but Bendis still has his hand in Age of Ultron. Superior Spider-Man is selling to well for Marvel to take Slott off of it or change direction. He'll be writing Spidey for a while.

I know that Slott won't be off SPidey until he finishes his run on SUperior Spider-Man but he should understand that most people don't like the turn of things and the take on the characters.Since the start of his run he hasn't made a good story,the only good story for me he made is Nobody Dies and it was a two-issue story that didn't have the usual Spider-Man villains as you expect.He had some decent stories back in his Mighty Avengers run but his Spider-Man just doesn't work most of the times.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 vance_astro  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

I know that Slott won't be off SPidey until he finishes his run on SUperior Spider-Man but he should understand that most people don't like the turn of things and the take on the characters.Since the start of his run he hasn't made a

good story,the only good story for me he made is Nobody Dies and it was a two-issue story that didn't have the usual Spider-Man villains as you expect.He had some decent stories back in his Mighty Avengers run but his Spider-Man just doesn't work most of the times.

Dan Slott is a good write though. You may not like what he's doing with Spidey I personally believe that Dan Slott is the best writer that Marvel has. No other writer has changed my mind on certain characters and concepts are effectively.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I know that Slott won't be off SPidey until he finishes his run on SUperior Spider-Man but he should understand that most people don't like the turn of things and the take on the characters.Since the start of his run he hasn't made a

good story,the only good story for me he made is Nobody Dies and it was a two-issue story that didn't have the usual Spider-Man villains as you expect.He had some decent stories back in his Mighty Avengers run but his Spider-Man just doesn't work most of the times.

Dan Slott is a good write though. You may not like what he's doing with Spidey I personally believe that Dan Slott is the best writer that Marvel has. No other writer has changed my mind on certain characters and concepts are effectively.

Dan Slott was good before he stepped in Spider-Man.He had some decent stories and he can write other characters but not Peter Parker that well.For me the best writer Marvel currently have is Jonathan Hickman.Even though his Avengers sucks,his run on Fantastic Four was really good and the New Avengers is average.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Heh, loving the outrage. Obviously, I haven't the chance to read this as it isn't out yet but I'm still picking it up regardless because I know that Slott has this all planned out.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 vance_astro  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

Dan Slott was good before he stepped in Spider-Man.He had some decent stories and he can write other characters but not Peter Parker that well.For me the best writer Marvel currently have is Jonathan Hickman.Even though his Avengers sucks,his run on Fantastic Four was really good and the New Avengers is average.

Yea, Hickman is really good with team books.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having just read the issue...

Oh, no, no, no, no, no.

I'm considering avoiding ComicVine for the next week or so, wait for the fallout to blow over.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

@ninjablade09 said:

@innervenom123 said:

I read a leaked copy. The rage will be glorious.

Well that sucks.

Two facts about the issue that are not spoilers.

1: Otto Octavius is now Peter's greatest enemy. F**k Norman.

2: The rage will be glorious.

tell me. tell me now.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#115  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

well........

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Batmandemon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

craymond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By craymond

Everyone seems to be talking about what happened. But, what actually happened???

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Superior Spider-man #9 Spoilers

Ock and Spidey battle for control over Peter's body. Ock convinces Peter that he isn't worthy of being Spider-man because he almost stopped Doc Ock from operating on the girl in last issue (because operating on her would give Ock access to the scanner that let Ock find Peter). Then Dock erases Peter Parker from his brain.

Every time I try to get back into this series, I decide not to again.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

Yea, Hickman is really good with team books.

Ys,he is.His Avengers is weak but nobody is complaining so much about it while if you look in this thread almost every post is about Slott being the guy that ruined Spider-Man.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ock and Spidey battle for control over Peter's body. Ock convinces Peter that he isn't worthy of being Spider-man because he almost stopped Doc Ock from operating on the girl in last issue (because operating on her would give Ock access to the scanner that let Ock find Peter). Then Dock erases Peter Parker from his brain.

Not worthy!?!?!?!? That's the dumbest thing ever. It's not like Pete was the first Spider-man or anything.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Not if the person writing the book has access to ALL of your favorite characters.

Luckily that has never happened yet :P

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

GOD DAMN IT SLOTT, I TAKE A QUICK BREAK FROM SPIDEY AND THIS IS WHAT YOU DO ?

AHHH F***

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@craymond said:

Everyone seems to be talking about what happened. But, what actually happened???

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 vance_astro  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

Ys,he is.His Avengers is weak but nobody is complaining so much about it while if you look in this thread almost every post is about Slott being the guy that ruined Spider-Man.

I actually love his Avengers but I guess however you feel about it Hickman isn't RUINING the team. That's what people think about Superior Spider-Man. People did the same thing on CV with One More Day, but OMD never killed ASM..people kept buying it.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower said:

Not worthy!?!?!?!? That's the dumbest thing ever. It's not like Pete was the first Spider-man or anything.

I know, right? I mean, I get that he did something unresponsible for half a second, but Doc Ock has killed people!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@lvenger said:

Welcome to me and Avengers Arena. There are situations in which the "if you don't like it, just don't read it" argument doesn't apply to the outcry.

I'm glad for this thread...whenever I start thinking maybe Marvel isn't as bad as I think, that they don't usually ruin characters and tell terrible stories and run their company on the fuel of shock value, all I need to do is see what they've done to their most iconic character.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No Caption Provided

Nothing can be worse then Alpha

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Superior Spider-man is a bad story, it's just difficult for me to read. We all know it'll be fixed in the end, but if you're like me, it's just too painful to watch Peter lose and Ock mess his life up. It's an interesting take on Spidey, but as a new Spider-man reader, I would rather read about Peter Parker than Doc Ock.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 the_stegman  Moderator

I stopped reading after issue 4. Is Peter still Obi Wan?

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Spoilers from issue 9:

Obi Wan Peter wasn't a ghost, but rather a manifestation of Peter's memories still trapped inside Superior Spider-man. Doc erased those memories, and thus Obi Wan Peter.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#132  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jonsmith said:

Oh, no, no, no, no, no.

I'm considering avoiding ComicVine for the next week or so, wait for the fallout to blow over.

Are you nuts?! The fallout is the best part!

ALL THIS MAD!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 the_stegman  Moderator

Obi Wan Peter wasn't a ghost, but rather a manifestation of Peter's memories still trapped inside Superior Spider-man. Doc erased those memories, and thus Obi Wan Peter.

I know he was a manifestation not a ghost, I was just makin' a "ha ha'' cause it reminded me of Obin Wan, but man, what a way to go, that saddens me :(

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel seems to have a real knack these days for doing such terrible things to characters that them staying dead is preferable to them surviving.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 vance_astro  Moderator

@akbogert said:

Welcome to me and Avengers Arena. There are situations in which the "if you don't like it, just don't read it" argument doesn't apply to the outcry.

I'm glad for this thread...whenever I start thinking maybe Marvel isn't as bad as I think, that they don't usually ruin characters and tell terrible stories and run their company on the fuel of shock value, all I need to do is see what they've done to their most iconic character.

I don't think Marvel ruined Spider-Man or IS ruining Spider-Man, you probably couldn't tell by how people talk about Superior Spider-Man on CV but it's not that bad. Clone Saga didn't even ruin Spider-Man it was close but several years later Spider-Man is still outselling all other solo hero books published by Marvel. Despite any arc that people b_tched about ASM ran for 700 issues.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: To be fair, I would have dumped Spider-Man after OMD had I been reading comics back then. I don't know what that's worth aside from giving you perspective on how I view comics and Parker in general. I've seen the scans from this issue now. You say Marvel hasn't and isn't ruining Spider-Man, and suffice to say, presented with the same facts, I've come to the opposite conclusion. But as it is indeed selling well and is thus not going to change anytime soon, I suppose if you're able to enjoy it, more power to you.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

There is so much rage on this site right now

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

@ninjablade09 said:

@gotwillpower said:

I know, right? I mean, I get that he did something unresponsible for half a second, but Doc Ock has killed people!

I seriously hope Miguel kicks his butt.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower What's bad writing is that Slott had to create Peter being irresponsible for it to happen. The only reason Peter was irresponsible was because Slott wanted Ock to take over and to justify it he made Peter irresponsible 1 issue earlier just so he could point back and say, "See, Peter isn't so great."

He's a terrible writer.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotwillpower What's bad writing is that Slott had to create Peter being irresponsible for it to happen. The only reason Peter was irresponsible was because Slott wanted Ock to take over and to justify it he made Peter irresponsible 1 issue earlier just so he could point back and say, "See, Peter isn't so great."

He's a terrible writer.

I don't think I'd go so far as to call him terrible, but when he has not demonstrated anywhere in this series his ability to write either the Peter or the MJ that used to exist and that people liked, he clearly isn't a good Spider-Man writer. The notion that people's reason for saying he's a good writer is that he made them prefer Otto to Pete kind of underscores that point.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith said:

Oh, no, no, no, no, no.

I have just dropped all my spider-man related titles. after Avenging finishes at 22 i won't be picking up anymore spider-man titles. I am happy with Kaine, at least Yost knows what he is doing.

Same, Scarlet Spider has been great!

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Good point. He definitely doesn't know how to write Peter well. Also, I guess whether he's good or not is subjective. He has not caused me to enjoy the storyline or Ock and has turned me off completely from Spider-man so I don't think he's very good but for those who like the story will like him as a writer.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert: Good point. He definitely doesn't know how to write Peter well. Also, I guess whether he's good or not is subjective. He has not caused me to enjoy the storyline or Ock and has turned me off completely from Spider-man so I don't think he's very good but for those who like the story will like him as a writer.

This was a distinction that I tried to make when discussing Dennis Hopeless and the way he was handling some characters in Avengers Arena. Basically, being a decent writer of dialogue and plot is not what I'm disputing. He's a good writer. But part of being a good professional comics writer is respecting the history of the characters you are entrusted with, and I would argue that, at least in this series, he has failed to do so. No matter how enjoyable a story is, if it does not faithfully use the characters, it is not "good writing" in an objective sense, because part of the quality sought is consistency with who the character has been becoming over the years.

Avatar image for thebrownpowerranger
    TheBrownPowerRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many "bad ass" spider-men do they need. They have scarlet spider and venom and now this superior bull$hit. I prefered spider-man because he was funny and made jokes and was pure awsome. And now he's serious,acts like the punisher and talks like a freak.

R.I.P Peter Parker. See you when the movie comes out after SpOck has completely ruined my all time favorite character.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By HushoftheWind

Thank goodness for Kaine or else i would be Spiderless

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

eh.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I actually love his Avengers but I guess however you feel about it Hickman isn't RUINING the team. That's what people think about Superior Spider-Man. People did the same thing on CV with One More Day, but OMD never killed ASM..people kept buying it.

For me actually OMD wasn't that bad.It did ruin a history kinda but it just wasn't that bad as the current state of the character.Slott created Alpha,most of the cool villains have been frozen and he kept using only Doc Ock,so he can bring this story to us.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 vance_astro  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

For me actually OMD wasn't that bad.It did ruin a history kinda but it just wasn't that bad as the current state of the character.Slott created Alpha,most of the cool villains have been frozen and he kept using only Doc Ock,so he can bring this story to us.

I hated OMD but that retcon needed to happen, one way or another. Most arcs that followed it were really good.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

I hated OMD but that retcon needed to happen, one way or another. Most arcs that followed it were really good.

I mean for such a big and bold decision to be made for the character and such a story was crucial and it had to happen one way or another.And that's why I didn't hate it that much as all other Spider-Man fans.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997 said:

@vance_astro said:

@tdk_1997 said:

I mean for such a big and bold decision to be made for the character and such a story was crucial and it had to happen one way or another.And that's why I didn't hate it that much as all other Spider-Man fans.

I hope OMD hasn't doomed Peter's relationships forever though. I mean, will he ever have a long-term girlfriend, or even a wife? It seems like Dan Slott has been postponing any major developments, in fear of being put in the position to write a new Peter/MJ romance. There's been several moments between the two since Dan Slott started writing, but after MJ realizes Doc Ock has been in Peter's body (once Peter has returned) I'm sure she'll stay away from him for a while.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.