Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Will this be the week you stop reading Superior Spider-man?

• 167 results
    camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What will it take for you to quit reading Slott's terrible Superior Spider-man. Issue 9 comes out this week and all the solicitations make it look like Ock gets rid of Parker "permanently". Now, this could be a swerve and Slott does something else with Pete instead of totally getting rid of him but let's just assume that in issue 9 Slott rids Spock of ghost Pete and Peter has nothing to do anymore with Superior Spider-man. The only reason I've been reading Superior is to see what happens with ghost Pete and when he gets his body back. I really hate the Spock story and character. It's a cheap gimmick like the Gobbledy Gooker given to us by someone who lives off of cheap gimmicks to make up for so-so writing. If Slott has just used ghost Pete to keep people attached, hoping they will start liking Spock and now gets rid of him, I'm done. I'll just catch up when Pete does get back through TPB.

But what about you guys. Unless you're just a fan of the "new status quo", what is keeping you hanging on and what will be the straw that breaks the camels back and causes you to say, "Superior no more."

Avatar image for shark_repellent_bat_spray
    Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I am a fan of the new status quo, I hope it goes on for a while... Which, due to the recent news of Miguel O'Hara appearing in #17 or something I'm sure it will!

Slott's Superior Spider-Man was a huge risk and (in my opinion) it is playing out rather well. However, I do have a few complaints, (like with most comics) for example; why hasn't Mary Jane noticed he's not Peter yet? I think her being that clueless is a huge insult to her characters intelligence.

Overall though, it's been a fun adventure. Almost like an ongoing What If? title, despite my hesitance at first and my hatred of Dan Slott after The Amazing Spider-Man #700 - Dying Wish: Suicide Run; Spider-Dreams; Date Night I'm at the point where SSM is one of the first I read when I get my comics on Thursdays, and as much as I miss Peter I don't want him back yet, I want him gone for years, why build up this story so efficiently if you're going to just cop-out and bring Peter back because part of the fan base demands it? I would not care if Peter was gone for 10+ years. It would make a nice change and eventually it would be actually sad for us to see Ock leave.

Anyway... To answer your question, the only thing that could make me stop reading Superior Spider-Man would be for Peter to come back so soon.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By theTimeStreamer

stopped a long time ago. issue 3 i think.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@camstevens80: Stopped at 6AU. I still keep tabs on it online though. I was liking the idea of SpOck until issue 1. I'm taking a break from Spider-Man until Peter's back and under a stable creative team. A shame really as I'd only been reading Spider-Man for just over a year and loving it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind it, as far as I am concerned it's just another story arc. I am getting tired of Otto's arrogance though. Acting out of character, t hen throwing a fit when he thinks someone is about to find out

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Superior has been better than I ever thought it would be. It's a Spider-Man story I haven't read before, and considering he's been around for several decades that's saying quite a bit. I think him getting rid of ghost Peter can only make the series better as I feel like ghost Pete has been the weakest part of every issue he's been in.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

I dont know,honestly.....i mean,i'll hate what will happen,but its still Spider-Man....i'm confused

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123

I read a leaked copy. The rage will be glorious.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stopped a long time ago. issue 3 i think.

Same here. I usually give comics 3 issues before I decide to drop it or not.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well that sucks.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123 said:

Well that sucks.

Two facts about the issue that are not spoilers.

1: Otto Octavius is now Peter's greatest enemy. F**k Norman.

2: The rage will be glorious.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ninjablade09 said:

@innervenom123 said:

Well that sucks.

Two facts about the issue that are not spoilers.

1: Otto Octavius is now Peter's greatest enemy. F**k Norman.

2: The rage will be glorious.

Well I'm stoked to read it. Bring on the hate mail, death threats and more. I always thought Norman is his nemesis, never a big fan of Doc. Defiantly going to enjoy the ride while I wait for issue 17. And you gotta p.m. me a spoiler.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah spoil me too @Innervenom123. I'm not reading the damn thing.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

odds are ocks gonna win, but im enjoying the series anyway, Its new and its a good new, plus the whole secret secret identity thing has had some amusing results.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By animehunter
    camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it. I'm done. That was horrible.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it. I'm done. That was horrible.

How bad was it?

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogdog I don't want to spoil anything but it was terrible. The worst thing was what Slott did to Peter's character to justify his own love affair with Doc Ock.

shadowtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i stop at 8

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read the story and all can say is this

Bulls*** F**king Bulls***.

camstevens80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By camstevens80

I was looking at sales numbers and here's my hope. In January, SS #1 ranked first for the month and sold 188,000 copies, but that same month, issue #2 sold 112,000. In February, issue 3 sold 101,000 and issue 4 sold 95,000. In March, issue 5 sold 94,000 copies and issue 6 sold 86,000 issues and fell out of the top 10 comics sold for the month. Each issue has sold less than the issue before it. When the sales numbers come out for the next few months, hopefully the numbers with continue to drop. Sales for #9 will probably spike because of the press it's been getting in the comic world but other than that, they will hopefully keep dropping. I say hopefully because if they keep dropping, Marvel will have no choice but to either remove Slott or force him to bring Peter back.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

@frogdog I don't want to spoil anything but it was terrible. The worst thing was what Slott did to Peter's character to justify his own love affair with Doc Ock.

All this mad.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By joshmightbe

@innervenom123: PM me a spoiler, I'm stills on my Marvel ban and I want to see if this justifies it

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PunyParker

yyyyyyep.....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By InnerVenom123

@joshmightbe: You got mad enough to ban all of Marvel over this series. Yes, you're going to hate it.

@punyparker: I can't wait. The internet's gonna implode.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@innervenom123: Technically AvX is what got me mad, SSM was just the last straw.

spideyfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spideyfan69

can somebody send me a link to the issue

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm pretty sure the less Parker there is the more I'm going to like the story :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Liking Superior makes you a bad person.

Terrible series. Terrible run. Terrible writer. Terrible person.

When Slott dies, it'll be a glorious day for Spider-Man fans.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: I can't wait. The internet's gonna implode.

....again....in a time of 4 months......i give it to him.....just when you think you hate him very very much,he founds a way to show that you can hate him even more!! (Slott)
    Nobody was mad from JMS when he "divorced" MJ and Peter(this strange character,that supposedly posed as Spider-Man for some time) and everyone bashed Quesada....slott made us forget about Wacker!! GENIOUS!!

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon,Superior Spider-Man.....what's the next hit....c'mon i can take it!....
    Maybe Venom symbiote bonding to a crippled US soldier,and totally forgeting about it's origin,and Eddie Brock????.........oh wait.....

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Getting rid of ghost Peter would be the best thing for this book, I've really been enjoying spOck's story, but feel he's been shafted in the character progression area all so we can get some useless whiny narration from Peter/

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrarrogant said:

Getting rid of ghost Peter would be the best thing for this book, I've really been enjoying spOck's story, but feel he's been shafted in the character progression area all so we can get some useless whiny narration from Peter/

How is there any worthwhile "character progression" for a sociopath who raped someone's mind and body?

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: well as we saw in the latest issue spOck does have some decency in him as a person, and could really change and become a good person. I think this would be a really interesting story to tell, rather than getting the same "Peter has to balance family and being Spider-Man!" stories we've been getting for the last 50 years.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InnerVenom123

Maybe Venom symbiote bonding to a crippled US soldier,and totally forgeting about it's origin,and Eddie Brock????.........oh wait.....

You just mentioned Agent Venom like it was a bad idea.

Like Eddie Brock was actually forgotten.

Like the origin was actually ignored.

Loading Video...

Do you even read the comics you hate?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrarrogant said:

@fadetoblackbolt: well as we saw in the latest issue spOck does have some decency in him as a person, and could really change and become a good person. I think this would be a really interesting story to tell, rather than getting the same "Peter has to balance family and being Spider-Man!" stories we've been getting for the last 50 years.

So it's fine that Ock just destroyed Parker because there's a chance he'll be a good person?

Let's look at the ideals behind Superior;

"Kill someone. Steal their identity, and rape their memories, but it's OK if there's a possibility that you'll be a nice guy one day."

It's an affront to everything that superhero comics are about, and to do it to Spider-Man, arguably the greatest comic book character ever, is a disgrace and a testament solely to Slott's ego and total lack of talent.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PunyParker

@innervenom123: I start reading the comic and IF i hate it....then i drop it....(confusing isnt it?...)

But accually i read Superior Spider-Man so.....yes,i read the comics i hate....

And i mentioned Agent Venom,because i trully loved Eddie....i know the story and i am sorry if my (awful) rant offended you....seriously.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: I start reading the comic and IF i hate it....then i drop it....(confusing isnt it?...)

But accually i read Superior Spider-Man so.....yes,i read the comics i hate....

And i mentioned Agent Venom,because i trully loved Eddie....i know the story and i am sirry if my (awful) rant offended you....seriously.

You can't pull off condescension if you can't capitalize your I's.

And I wasn't talking about Superior, just Venom. That is why I cropped out the rest of your post.

I'm aware of that obvious fact. I was talking about how everything you said in your post was wrong. You said the origin was ignored, and Eddie was forgotten. Neither statement is true. And it wasn't a rant. It was a sentence. A badly constructed sentence.

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MrArrogant

@mrarrogant said:

So it's fine that Ock just destroyed Parker because there's a chance he'll be a good person?

"Kill someone. Steal their identity, and rape their memories, but it's OK if there's a possibility that you'll be a nice guy one day."

It's an affront to everything that superhero comics are about, and to do it to Spider-Man, arguably the greatest comic book character ever, is a disgrace and a testament solely to Slott's ego and total lack of talent.

Slott has a lack of talent? He's written some truly tremendous Spider-Man stories! I find it a disgrace and a testament to comic fanboys' egos that they just through out random opinions as if they're facts. Slott may be a polarizing writer, and his works are not for everyone, but he is certainly not talentless.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrarrogant said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@mrarrogant said:

Slott has a lack of talent? He's written some truly tremendous Spider-Man stories! I find it a disgrace and a testament to comic fanboys' egos that they just through out random opinions as if they're facts. Slott may be a polarizing writer, and his works are not for everyone, but he is certainly not talentless.

Actually, he is talentless. He hasn't written a single good Spider-Man story. And I never stop finding it amusing just how incredibly hypocritical statements such as these; "a testament to comic fanboys' egos that they just through out random opinions as if they're facts" are.

I'm not a fanboy. I'm a fan and I'm a writer, and I'm offended on both fronts by what Slott has done. Which is to say, write generic crap that could be written by anyone and that benefits no one but himself and the cretins reading his nonsense.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: Ok ok!!....whoa!
    I am aware of that Venom is going great and that's a great story....i already said i was sorry....
    Also Slott said that Eddie will be back as Venom in Superior,you knew that?..!!

MrArrogant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrarrogant said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@mrarrogant said:

Actually, he is talentless. He hasn't written a single good Spider-Man story. And I never stop finding it amusing just how incredibly hypocritical statements such as these; "

a testament to comic fanboys' egos that they just through out random opinions as if they're facts"

are.

I'm not a fanboy. I'm a fan and I'm a writer, and I'm offended on both fronts by what Slott has done. Which is to say, write generic crap that could be written by anyone and that benefits no one but himself and the cretins reading his nonsense.

Spider-Island was pretty great, as was "I killed tomorrow". His Big Time run is what got me back into Spider-Man, with fun stories, a cool supporting cast and put Peter in a new, interesting position, as opposed to him still working for the daily bugle.

Also, how is doing a storyline that has never been done in a spidey book before, "generic crap"; what would you like to see be done in a Spider-Man book?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also Slott said that Eddie will be back as Venom in Superior,you knew that?..!!

Sure he did.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@innervenom123: I dont know....that's what i read....

Now i said that about Venom,and i'm "bad" for life....i get it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lvenger

@innervenom123: Come on buddy PM me a link to the copy. Pretty please? I want to see what happens :P

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Spider-Island was pretty great, as was "I killed tomorrow". His Big Time run is what got me back into Spider-Man, with fun stories, a cool supporting cast and put Peter in a new, interesting position, as opposed to him still working for the daily bugle.

Also, how is doing a storyline that has never been done in a spidey book before, "generic crap"; what would you like to see be done in a Spider-Man book?

It's never been done before because no writer was stupid enough to do it. It spits in the face of the genre, of the character and of the fans.

Spider-Island was garbage. EVERYONE TURNS INTO GIANT SPIDERS. DEPOWER EDDIE BROCK AGAIN (the one good thing Slott did was Anti-Venom). CARLIE DUMPS PETER BECAUSE HE'S THE BEST GUY EVER. BUT CARLIE IS STILL TOTALLY AWESOME.

Slott's "ideas" extend solely to things that anyone with a shred of creativity could come up with in a heartbeat. The reason they don't write them though, is because they're just stupid. Slott's run has been nothing but a concentrated effort to destroy Spider-Man and his franchise. The villains all die. Pete is shown innumerable times to be completely incompetent. CARLIE COOPER IS THE BEST THING EVER.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By InnerVenom123

@punyparker: As annoyingly pretentious as it sounds, I keep up with Venom related news. That did not happen. And frankly, I wouldn't want it to.

@lvenger: Peter turns into Rainbowdash and defeats Otto with the power of friendship.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.