Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

will peter parker ever accept death as a reality?

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Edited By zombietag

i was reading astonishing spider-man & wolverine #3 (and yes, therell be a few spoilers here), when i thought about something. heres the spoiler, btw. when wolverine dies, he freaks out and does everything he can to get him to come back to life. with the cosmic cube, he literally could have wished for anything in the world, anything he wanted. and yet he wishes wolverine back because he feels so bad for.... for what? for wolverine hitting him, stealing the pheonix gun, shooting doom and killing himself. huh. odd train of thought. now dont get me wrong, i think jason aaron is writing spider-man completely right. thats how peter acts all the time. but im starting to feel like peters getting a little ridiculous. 

for someone who totally believes in things like, "fate has given me power so i have to use it responisbly," he never seems to accept death as fate. we see this example with uncle ben, gwen stacy, and even aunt may. who by the way has been like 65 years old since 1963. seriously pete, she was probably like 100 when she got shot, give it up. why doesnt he ever accept death as a normal part of life? he always freaks out and does everything he can to "fix it," even through supernatural means. and even when it puts a lot at risk.

and let me make it clear that spider-man is my favorite. ive been loving the recent ASM, and i think the stories are great. and im not hating on the writers, because they write peter correctly. but as for his actual character, will he ever grow up and understand that death is a real part of life? i dont know. 

what do you think?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

hey when you live in a world where death can be reversed u dont really have to accept it 

in our world we accept it because we cant change it
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

That's why I don't read Spidey anymore.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By zombietag
    @Primmaster64: eh, its just a character flaw like any thing else. its far from something that ruins the entire book. 

@Avenging-X-Bolt: thats actually a great point
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spidey 15
    @Primmaster64 said:

" That's why I don't read Spidey anymore. "

Spiderman has always been like this. That means that you have never read spiderman. 

@zombietag: I don't really think it's bad. Actually it's one of the reasons i like Spiderman. It's how his character is and i prefer him like this. 
    =]
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Primmaster64
    @spidey 15: Hmmm yes I have...but yes he has always been like this but his been worse recently.
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spidey 15
    @Primmaster64: The only worse i have seen it's the stupid writing of JQ. Anything about spidey's character is still the same. 
    =]
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Primmaster64
    @spidey 15: Yes Q writing is horrible.Why did he do that in the first place?
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spidey 15
    @Primmaster64: No idea! 
    =[
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Primmaster64
    @spidey 15: That desrves a Facepalm
    spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spidey 15
    @Primmaster64: Indeed. 
    =]
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By roadbuster
    @zombietag said:

will he ever grow up and understand that death is a real part of life? i dont know.   what do you think? "

During Peter's "Superman phase" he had a few issues like this where he actually walked a student through the process of accepting death (and where Spider-Man was arguably responsible for failing to save the victim).  This was when Peter was married, mature, well-adjusted, a teacher with purpose, a mentor who went the extra mile for his students, a seasoned hero, happy work/life balance, etc.  Overly sentimental for a lot of the audience, but I thought they were pretty good.  My Spidey issues are all deeply buried however, so I can't recall the exact issue... if it comes to me I'll let you know.  Not that it necessarily matters now that the reset button has been hit on Spidey's life and all his personal issues.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.