Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why won't the Marvel Heroes take him seriously?

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Honestly the majority of heroes in the marvel u still treat him like a newbie newcomer, or a undependable loser. It's been over 60+ years and Captain America and Reed etc. still take him for granted and most other heroes think he's annoying and an amateur despite him saving new York countless times and stops crime in almost every issue with his own bad guys, recently he's saved the world and about to save a another with other alternate spider people.

Back to the point, why won't Peter ever be a guy who other heroes can rely on, it's total bs that as old as Spidey is, his allies think less of him each writer that writes him and other characters from their own arcs and storylines. Peter growing up correaltes to this, he can have a child and a wife, so why can't he have equal mature respect from other big leaguers plus stop being the kid of the group?

Spidey is not even Kamala's top 5, lord knows why that is. And I know why, Spider-Man is a lacky and a comic relief when teamed up with actual respected heroes.(Note I;m not saying spidey is not respected, he's just not intergral to the hero pantheon like Cap and Iron Man are and is treated like amateur that just so happens to team up with all the heroes once but doesn't leave big impressions like the former thusly being under estimated or worse put down.)

A lot of his potential has been hinted as greater than any hero by cable, but he's doomed to suffer as the underachieving motor mouth who pisses people off or ends up taking no credit for his heroics cuz he's stupidly self loathing himself.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Marvel writers are jerks to Spiderman.

LastOblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's comics, some things can't change. He will always be a "joke" in the mainstream universe.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't always like that. Back in the 60's, the other heroes feared him!

Beata

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't always like that. Back in the 60's, the other heroes feared him!

Beata

Really?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@jimishim12: Yeah. He was such a wildcard that most heroes avoided him. Mainly because they knew how powerful and dangerous he was.

Beata

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Because tons of Marvel heroes are either too uptight or glib jerks. Spidey would thrive more in DC where heroes are more likable.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@the_stegman: he could be part of young justice, although miles morals would fit better

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jimishim12: Yeah. He was such a wildcard that most heroes avoided him. Mainly because they knew how powerful and dangerous he was.

Beata

And because the "Parker Luck" is contagious. ^^

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im pretty sure alot of heroes have been taking him seriously alot now. He's even decked Cap in shield headquarters and nothing (albeit when spiderwoman wanted to ask what he just did Cap waved her off). Its just the fact that when everone else can break the planet or is so influential they can command someone to flip the planet someone like spidey is always a little bit short.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimishim12

@sacredweapons said:

Im pretty sure alot of heroes have been taking him seriously alot now. He's even decked Cap in shield headquarters and nothing (albeit when spiderwoman wanted to ask what he just did Cap waved her off). Its just the fact that when everone else can break the planet or is so influential they can command someone to flip the planet someone like spidey is always a little bit short.

If it's power they would want, Spidey created his own Captain Atom by accident in his own lab(Alpha). Spidey is also magically connected to the web of life, that could alter time and events.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Spider-Man is no longer being written as a mature 28 year old, a serious super hero with a sense of humor when fighting crime. Spider-Man was a resourceful and formidable super hero for decades.

Marvel have regressed this character beyond belief. He is now immature, weak, lacking leadership skills, with no endearing personality traits and has become a supporting character in his own title unable to do anything amazing.

The story-lines are insipid and nonsensical. In essence, even the focus shift to make Spider-Man even funnier with the cheesy comedy relief of a goofy clown is downright boring and ridiculous.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@the_stegman: funny you've mentioned that. I don't know why, but I've always viewed Spidey as a kind of a DC-esque character.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sacredweapons said:

If it's power they would want, Spidey created his own Captain Atom by accident in his own lab(Alpha). Spidey is also magically connected to the web of life, that could alter time and events.

Well the whole captain atom thing is an accident. And Peter dosent know that much about the web of life. Heck Doc Ock knows more about it than him.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The ol' Parker luck

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because Spider-Man is no longer being written as a mature 28 year old, a serious super hero with a sense of humor when fighting crime. Spider-Man was a resourceful and formidable super hero for decades.

Marvel have regressed this character beyond belief. He is now immature, weak, lacking leadership skills, with no endearing personality traits and has become a supporting character in his own title unable to do anything amazing.

The story-lines are insipid and nonsensical. In essence, even the focus shift to make Spider-Man even funnier with the cheesy comedy relief of a goofy clown is downright boring and ridiculous.

Don't hold back. (great post)

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Marvel writers don't even take him seriously, then how can we expect fictional characters to???

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
    DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading spider-man through the black and white essential volumes and after the first 150 or so issues of ASM I moved onto the modern comics. (back in ~2008) And was totally appalled at the character I was reading. He was nothing like the spider-man I had read 150 issues of (+ultimate spider-man, also great).

There is this weird revisionist idea that Peter has always been a clown/immature/irresponsible and Marvel loves flaunting that "fact". When in actuality, even as a 15-16 year old Peter had more responsibilities and maturity to handle than any 16 year old should. Also, Marvel loves to remind us that Peter is awkward, when in the 60s the only person who thought he was awkward was himself. (Beautiful girls were always fawning over him, he became part of the "hip" crew in late highschool and college and thrived as a successful and mature college student.

Sidenote: I also highly prefer adult peter drawn slightly more muscular than most modern artists draw him. He tends to be drawn with the proportions of a 15 year old now, when even ditko and romita sr gave him some bulk. I really hope in secret wars (v4) Miles comes to the 616 to fulfill the "teen" spider-man marvel desperately wants in Peter and he can become a mid-30s family man/mentor to Miles.

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree Spidey does need more respect

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MegaHGFan

I'm doing a binge read of Ultimate Spider-man on Marvel Unlimited, and it is so much better than the recent 616 Spider-man stories. 616 Spider-man has fallen into a void of absurd stories that stretch what is accepted as believable in even the Marvel Universe, combined with poor characterizations of classic characters. Spidey is one of the all time great comic book characters, and definitely deserves more respect and a better solo title.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started reading spider-man through the black and white essential volumes and after the first 150 or so issues of ASM I moved onto the modern comics. (back in ~2008) And was totally appalled at the character I was reading. He was nothing like the spider-man I had read 150 issues of (+ultimate spider-man, also great).

There is this weird revisionist idea that Peter has always been a clown/immature/irresponsible and Marvel loves flaunting that "fact". When in actuality, even as a 15-16 year old Peter had more responsibilities and maturity to handle than any 16 year old should. Also, Marvel loves to remind us that Peter is awkward, when in the 60s the only person who thought he was awkward was himself. (Beautiful girls were always fawning over him, he became part of the "hip" crew in late highschool and college and thrived as a successful and mature college student.

Sidenote: I also highly prefer adult peter drawn slightly more muscular than most modern artists draw him. He tends to be drawn with the proportions of a 15 year old now, when even ditko and romita sr gave him some bulk. I really hope in secret wars (v4) Miles comes to the 616 to fulfill the "teen" spider-man marvel desperately wants in Peter and he can become a mid-30s family man/mentor to Miles.

Well said. IMO, Peter Parker the responsible, mature, adult Spider-Man is the definitive Amazing Spider-Man. Not sure how I feel about Miles taking on the mantle in the new universe though. Even if Miles becomes Pete's sidekick, I think Miles should be given a new name.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Laughs*

Got me there, I don't think you can put Peter and serious/mature in the same context. Spidey has his moments of being mature and serious but he is normally known as one of the goofiest most immature fictional characters in fiction, his look atests to that fact(Spidey has like a Peter Pan like charisma his actions) and he's the least depended hero in the marvel verse amongst heroes because of this(At least as far as first impressions go), I mean his best friends are man children like Johnny and Wade plus his own ability to never shut up or act like a level headed man(all the time) instead of trolling young goofball in team ups, he is the most reckless hero in terms of living as a normal man as well and always rushs head first into stuff, this was one of his biggest flaws before OMD.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magnetic_eye said:

*Laughs*

Got me there, I don't think you can put Peter and serious/mature in the same context. Spidey has his moments of being mature and serious but he is normally known as one of the goofiest most immature fictional characters in fiction, his look atests to that fact(Spidey has like a Peter Pan like charisma his actions) and he's the least depended hero in the marvel verse amongst heroes because of this(At least as far as first impressions go), I mean his best friends are man children like Johnny and Wade plus his own ability to never shut up or act like a level headed man(all the time) instead of trolling young goofball in team ups, he is the most reckless hero in terms of living as a normal man as well and always rushs head first into stuff, this was one of his biggest flaws before OMD.

• I don't think you can put Peter and serious/mature in the same context

Jimi boy, you continue to prove in these forums over and over again that you have no real understanding of the character and also, how much Spider-Man you actually haven't read.

• Spidey has like a Peter Pan like charisma

Yeah okay, that's your delusional desire, because you deny everything else about Spider-Man's true character.

• his best friends are man children like Johnny and Wade

Proving once again you don't know much about the character nor his history. Pete has a myriad of friends and I doubt very much he counts Wade a best friend.

• normally known as one of the goofiest most immature fictional characters

Exacerbated to the hilt in recent years by a man-child writer. Stan Lee & Steve Ditko created Spider-Man to be a progressive character, not one stuck in perpetual stagnation as a teen or regressed as an immature goofball.

• this was one of his biggest flaws before OMD

Just WRONG on so many levels dude. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Do you really want to do this, I proved Zarius wrong before.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No you haven't.

LOL, The only thing you continue to keep proving is your troll status, your lack of understanding of Spider-Man's entire character and personality, his whole history, (not just the last 8 years), the fact that you haven't read much Spider-Man and your obsessive attachment to the goofy and immature class clown development of recent years.

ZariusII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All you've ever done is validate every word I've said against you, you numpty.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By The_Waffle

I don't blame other heroes for not taking Spider-Man seriously, the way he's been written in recent years has made him into an absolute joke.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He has never really been taken seriously by the Superhero community. Well that was until Big Time where he lead the Avengers (impressing them by using his intelligence to stop one of Doc Ock's schemes), saved the world and joined the FF.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could people give examples of this? I would really like to read them.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tyger

I remember a scan where someone is asking Danny Rand who he thought could beat him, and his first answer was 'Spider-Man', and the response from the person asking was 'that goof ball'?

I think that issue really marked the fact that the character was making a downward plunge.

His own insecurities aside, quite a few established heroes looked up to him, and actually LIKED working with him, even if not liking him personally. They knew he'd have their backs and who could turn a giant crap fest into a winnable scenario. He could gel well with the FF or the X-Men, and Hawkeye (Clint Barton) is an ex-criminal because Spider-Man talked him into doing more with his life. When Daredevil went a little crazy due to Kingpin finding out about his identity, Spider-Man was the first (only?) hero to track him down and remind him he still had friends.

However, the seeds of this started long ago.

Where do you take a character with a stable marriage to a supportive spouse that does her best to make things as easy as possible? Kids. That's the next leg in life's journey, and an obvious choice.

So what happened? Does peter start having to juggle money, super-heroing, and parenting? He came close, but then someone had a seizure at the thought of the character 'growing up'. A charter that was all about responsibility, and suddenly a story about responsibility wigs out a few comic book guys. Peter looses his powers and someone resurrects an old clone to put the costume on and be 'Spider-Man'. That doesn't work out as planned. So they have the child kidnapped.. and nobody remembers.

Can't even blame OMD for this one. That won't happen for years. It's just that as soon as the kid is taken, they forget it was ever born.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.