Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why Peter Parker is a moron for getting rid of the symbiote

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I always felt sorry for the symbiote really. Yes it made Peter a little edgier, but did it truly deserve to be cast aside like it had no feelings? Yes finding out you've been wearing a LIVING creature is something that would scare anyone, but if Peter had THOUGHT about things before going

"GET IT OFF ME! GET IT OFF ME!"

He would've realized something. First, the symbiote wasn't REALLY doing anything bad or harmful to him. Taking his body for a spin while he was asleep? Yeah that's a little much, but if he had tried to REASON with it I'm sure they could've worked something out. Making him more irritable? Again this is something Peter should've been able to overcome pretty easily. He has more reasons to snap at people than anyone, but he keeps himself in check so having a little bit of a temper would've been a pretty small con in contrast to everything else the symbiote could do for him.

What I'm saying is that Peter didn't THINK. He didn't stop to think that if this creature was smart enough to do things involuntary to his will, most of those things helpful, then it might be intelligent enough to communicate with and reach an understanding.

Another prime reason is that he wouldn't have made one of his most dangerous villains. Now I know Pete couldn't have thought about the symbiote surviving the amount of sound it did, but again he wouldn't have been in that situation if he had THOUGHT. Peter is supposed to be intelligent, he's a scientist for crying out loud. If anything he should have wanted to keep it for study!

I have Venom in my Top Favorite Villains list, but I always think of how the symbiote could've been a hero if Peter had given it a REAL chance.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SUNMAN

Nah, I would have done the same thing. Peter's already got incredible Spider powers, no need to get greedy. Especially with a living organism that could influence your actions and thoughts, or occasionally just controlling your body completely. It's just freaky and most can probably understand why Peter would air on the side of caution.

As for for Venom becoming one of his greatest enemies. Yeah that's unfortunate for Pete, but overall what did Venom really do aside from a few bruises and stressful days. Don't get me wrong he's a great villain, but its not like he was Norman Osborn. Now Venom's a hero so no harm no foul.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@SUNMAN: Fair enough. I'm not saying I'm right, this is just my take on the matter.

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Retro_Metro

If I was around when him and Reed,I would try and see how it came to be and if it could become more independent without a host(inside an monitored area of course).Maybe a small sample that Peter would have control off. But that's

just me.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SUNMAN

@Smart_Dork_Dude: yeah I know. You certainly make some valid points. It certainly was a rash/impulsive decision on Peter's part and there are/were a lot of upsides to keeping the symbiote.

How much influence did the symbiote have on its host mind again? This would probably be a big sticking point for me. I'm not big on anything that alters the state of my mind.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@SUNMAN: Originally it just made Peter more susceptible to anger, but again it should've been easy to deal with. I mean, take some anger management classes!

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

Remember when you were a kid, and a spider, bug, or some other small thing would crawl on you? You wouldn't notice, and wouldn't care. Then you'd feel a little tickle on your arm or shoulder, look, see the thing, and freak out, brushing it aside in a panic, trying to get it off you. Same basic principle. True, perhaps Peter should have tried to come to an arrangement with the symbiote, but while he was freaking out initially, the symbiote tried to crush him in an effort to bond. So imagine when you tried to brush the bug from the earlier analogy off, it bit down on your arm and held there, only biting harder when you tried to knock it off. Would you calmly stop, and wait for it to go away, or just keep slapping at it until it let go?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

id've kept it personally but i can totally understand not wanting what is essentially an alien ringworm to attach to you.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By mewmdude77

If he had kept it, the symbiote would have sucked him dry until he was pretty much dead, and then it would have gone on to the next one. that's been show in some What-If stories before.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@mewmdude77: Funny how that's never the case with any of the Venom's.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JonSmith

@mewmdude77 said:

If he had kept it, the symbiote would have sucked him dry until he was pretty much dead, and then it would have gone on to the next one. that's been show in some What-If stories before.

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Funny how that's never the case with any of the Venom's.

That would be because the Venom symbiote ORIGINALLY was unique in that it wanted to bond mutually with a host, rather than kill them like the rest of it's species. Hence why it was locked up in that prison that Spidey found it in: The other symbiotes thought Venom was insane. Now granted, the other symbiotes tend to kill their hosts by feeding off the adrenaline of putting said hosts through death defying stunts, which the hosts rarely survive, while the people Venom's bound to (Spider-Man, Eddie Brock, Mac Gargan, Flash Thompson) tend to be put through those kind of stunts on a regular basis. So most likely Venom has all the adrenaline it could want without having to kill it's hosts.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By tupiaz

I think you neglet the power the symboit had on Peter's mind. He didn't feel like himself and felt like somebody has taken control over his mind. Therefore it was IMO a logical choice. However I think you have a very good point about Peter not keeping the symboit. He know what it has done to his mind, why take the chance to get control over a weaker person? This dose not make sense. Likewise Peter should be intresting in doing more test than already done. You could stil have made Venom by the symbiot escaping or got stollen.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mewmdude77

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Eddie Brock gave up the symbiote because he got cancer from having it, so it was the case.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@mewmdude77 said:

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

Eddie Brock gave up the symbiote because he got cancer from having it, so it was the case.

he had cancer before the symbiote attached to him.it was just in remission

@SUNMAN said:

Nah, I would have done the same thing. Peter's already got incredible Spider powers, no need to get greedy. Especially with a living organism that could influence your actions and thoughts, or occasionally just controlling your body completely. It's just freaky and most can probably understand why Peter would air on the side of caution.

As for for Venom becoming one of his greatest enemies. Yeah that's unfortunate for Pete, but overall what did Venom really do aside from a few bruises and stressful days. Don't get me wrong he's a great villain, but its not like he was Norman Osborn. Now Venom's a hero so no harm no foul.

im sure that vault guard he murdered would disagree

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#14  Edited By TDK_1997

I would also get rid of it because it is an alien form that attaches to you and changes your personality.You become angrier,bad and get to be an asshole.I don't want to ruin my life.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By theTimeStreamer
    No Caption Provided
    SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SUNMAN

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

I was just speaking in regards to Peter Parker and his life

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

ahhh, yeah. id still be pissed though. beating he crap out of me on a regular basis, messing with my family and killing people i grew up with is not stuff id let go anytime soon.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SUNMAN

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

ahhh, yeah. id still be pissed though. beating he crap out of me on a regular basis, messing with my family and killing people i grew up with is not stuff id let go anytime soon.

good point. I did sort of make light of al the trouble Venom has caused Peter over the years. I still say Pete's pretty fortunate things could have turned out a lot worse. It's not often you face a physically stronger nemesis that knows everything about you and your still able to get the upper hand without any significant heartbreak or trauma.

Out of all of Spidey's villains who has really gotten to him the most? I don't really read Spidey books anymore, but unless anything's changed I'd put Norman Osborn a the top of the list. After that I think its debatable.

Venom, Morlun and Hobgoblin have given him some pretty bad thrashings. Doctor Octopus and the Lizard get honorable mentions as well. Lets not forget Kingpin hiring a sniper that shot Aunt May (even if OMD erased it). Rhino's given him a thumping on a few occasions. Scorpion use to be a threat years ago, but now he is kind of a joke.

Lets see who else. Oh yeah there is Jackal, the whole Clone thing must have given Peter numerous sleepless nights.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

good point. I did sort of make light of al the trouble Venom has caused Peter over the years. I still say Pete's pretty fortunate things could have turned out a lot worse. It's not often you face a physically stronger nemesis that knows everything about you and your still able to get the upper hand without any significant heartbreak or trauma.

Out of all of Spidey's villains who has really gotten to him the most? I don't really read Spidey books anymore, but unless anything's changed I'd put Norman Osborn a the top of the list. After that I think its debatable.

Venom, Morlun and Hobgoblin have given him some pretty bad thrashings. Doctor Octopus and the Lizard get honorable mentions as well. Lets not forget Kingpin hiring a sniper that shot Aunt May (even if OMD erased it). Rhino's given him a thumping on a few occasions. Scorpion use to be a threat years ago, but now he is kind of a joke.

Lets see who else. Oh yeah there is Jackal, the whole Clone thing must have given Peter numerous sleepless nights.

all good choices. Norman/jackal are tied or the first in my opinion. Kingpin comes in second. going after family members is one thing but these guys actually succeeded to a degree .

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By InfinityAce

The smybiote was eventully gonna bond with him forever. Just to point out this was a early time. It didn't give a power boost to him back then. It would have also bonded with him completely then took over his mind. This is what it was gonna do back then it changed so it wouldn't kill all of spiderman villains. It's more not Peters fault but more of the venom traits changing. Were was it stated that Brock was able to keep it because venom got it's adrenaline from his cancer which was what keep Eddie alive? Anyway venom is bad to have and it's not Peters fault it's them changing venoms traits.

sammystorm75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sammystorm75
    No Caption Provided
    Spiderman Web of Shadows
    Spiderman Web of Shadows
    No Caption Provided
    Spider-man 3 video game
    Spider-man 3 video game

Peter only uses the symbiote if necissary if he needs it for an emergancy and he can't really control it well it makes him think negative he feels more angry and he some times feels like to kill.But um no he is not a moran for geting rid of it for me it was the smart thing to do if you played web of shadows you would under stand.

see he even fights more brutal and the more he fights brutal the more the symbiote takes control over him.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mewmdude77

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@SUNMAN said:

all good choices. Norman/jackal are tied or the first in my opinion. Kingpin comes in second. going after family members is one thing but these guys actually succeeded to a degree .

You guys forgot Kraven the Hunter! Kraven not only buried Peter alive for two weeks, and dressed up as him during that time, but was the main cause of the Gaunlet and the Grim Hunt!

wr3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wr3h

Wouldn't this have happened if he kept it?

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InfinityAce

Yes

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mega_spidey01

parker is not a moron he did the right thing. the venom symbiote would have taken him over like ichigo's hollow in bleach. i wouldn't want the symbiote either i 'd rather have spider-powers. 

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shawnbaby

You try having an Alien Parasite try and force a permanent bond with you and see how you react. It was trying to take him over completely...not just while he was sleeping. He wouldn't have been Peter Parker anymore...he would have been Venom. Look at what happens when Flash "Vulks Out"...that's what would have happened to Peter.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By PaperDemon

Your a genius

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.