Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17240 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why do people feel like Garfield isn't nerdy enough?

Hustle_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hustle_Crow

I mean the typical arguments I see is that he's too attractive, or he doesn't dress like one, to which I say, looks can be deceiving.

As far as I'm concerned, in the world of 2014, it's impossible to dress or look nerdy anymore because the culture has widened up to include a larger variety of people than just the typical pocket protector wearing super nerds. Unfortunately, when a lot of people see a movie, their idea of a nerd is the over-the-top 80s portrayal, despite the fact that most nerds are quite reserved about it. I may not have won any science fairs, but i spend my time online watching Kamen Rider and Super Sentai, I've watched every Star Wars movie a thousand times, I still collect action figures, cosplay as Tobi from Naruto at comic book conventions and get into little debates about comic books online (*cough* *cough*). To me, being a nerd is no longer about appearance, but rather being passionate about something in a way where you become very knowledgeable about the subject, in which case, everybody is at least a bit nerdy.

But none of this stuff about me is out in the open. I have the reputation of being the cool black guy with the flashy outfits on campus, but I still consider myself a nerd in more than a few ways. Thing is, there's layers to people and just because an interest isn't out in the open doesn't mean that interest isn't there.

As far as Garfield's physical appearance? Well, it's never really implied how attractive Peter is suppose to be but look at a few pictures of Peter from the comics and tell me that Garfield doesn't at least resemble SOME of them. Heck, a lot of art of Peter shows him to be fairly attractive, and it's not like Garfield is absolutely breathtaking in the way Chris Hemsworth or Channing Tatum is to women. I don't know where people get this idea that only unattractive people can be awkward or nerdy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e870e328354a
    deactivated-5e870e328354a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Not as nerdy looking as Tobey's Peter, but nerdy enough. Even Peter from the original comics was just an average-looking guy with glasses.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

@hustle_crow: While there's more to being a nerd than appearance. I just had a hard time believing Garfield's version of Parker was a nerd. Maybe it's the twilight phenomenon since I heard so many damn fan girls swooning over him which is par for a course for actors I guess. I just had a hard time believing this was the guy that got picked on.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By PunyParker

He looks fine.
    You don't find 17 yr old kids wearing tucked shirts and round glassess,and.....grwon up shoes anyway!!

I never found that appealing....Peter is a nerd in a possitive way,because he is crazy smart!....not because of his dress code....
    So this....i looking just fine!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.