Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why didn't Peter's classmates figure out his secret identity?

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CannotSpellMyName

One of the questions I've been pondering about when it comes to comics is, when Peter Parker got his powers, why didn't his fellow students at school figure out Spiderman's identity? Shouldn't Pete's schoolmates be able to figure things out when Peter suddenly goes from scrawny to athlete in like a week simultaneously as a new superhero shows up in the city? I never read the earlier Spiderman stories so I never got a good explanation for this. Did Peter stay away from school as sick leave for a time because of the spider bite, claiming that he worked out during that time? Or did he skip going to the showers after physical training before and/or after he got his powers to avoid the bullies, so no one actually got a good look at his physical shape? I know Kong figured his identity out in the Ultimate universe, but he seemed to be the only one. How did Peter manage to keep his sudden physical transformation unnoticed during his first time as Spiderman, or at least unnoticed enough to prevent people from figuring out his superhero identity? Did he make arrangements at all to conceal his new superhero identity or was it just plain luck that no one noticed?

Please don't reply "because it's comics", surely there are more creative ways in which this could be explained.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By renamed040924

In an early comic, one of Peter's bullies actually feels his harm and comments something along the lines of "Whoa, Flash, you gotta check this out. Parker's built like a body builder!"

Someone else (it may of been Liz Allen) then says something like "All the muscle in the world won't do you any good if your a coward" or something like that.

So all Peter really did was continue to be the scared little nerd he's always been, and basically do everything in his power to NOT look like he had any physical ability at all whatsoever. You bring up a good point with the showers thing but... hey, it's comics. :p

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Strider1992

I think it was the difference in personality between when he was Spider-man and Peter Parker that saved him. He's completely different in the mask so I think thats the main reason no-one figured it out.

NEEK_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NEEK_03

@Strider92 said:

I think it was the difference in personality between when he was Spider-man and Peter Parker that saved him. He's completely different in the mask so I think thats the main reason no-one figured it out.

thats the same cop out DC tries to use for no one knowing clark is supes, with parker its easier because though he got in great shape it wasnt like he was all hulky, he is still more lean, so its more covered by his clothes vs his skin tight costume. ahah that mixed with him still acting nerdy and fragile is what kept them clueless.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.