Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Why are MOST Spider-Man games not that good?

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I'm noticing a pattern. Most Spider-Man games (aside from Spider-Man 2 for the PS2) are pretty bad. Most have pretty lazy mechanics like in Edge of Time and in Amazing Spider-Man 2. Most don't have what they should have; free roam. A proper free roam that should be accurate to where Spidey lives in; Queens New York. But some have a good story like Edge of Time and maybe even Web of Shadows. What are some ways that the Spider-Man games can be improved?

Edit: After replaying Edge of time, it was much better than the first time I played it.

Avatar image for master_of_suprise
    MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MASTER_OF_SUPRISE

I don't know what you're talking about. I found Edge of time to be pretty good. It wasn't flawless but I wouldn't call it crap. Shattered Dimensions was really good. I'm not saying there aren't bad games. But they seem rather hard to find to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

He's got a few good ones.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Twentyfive

Time/budget constraints to match up with release dates of movies.

Also, look at all of SEGA's monstrosities of licensed superhero film games.

I_NEED_A_HORSE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By I_NEED_A_HORSE

There hasn't been an A grade Spider-Man since 2004, The reason why Spider-Man games have been so bad? Because Beenox are f@#king sh!t developers, that's why.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gosh, I tried playing one and it made me feel sick with the wall climbing. D:

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Most are pretty good not counting the ones based on movies, since no game based on a movie is good.

Avatar image for rod_the_blade_star
    Rod_The_Blade_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the games focus too much on the Webhead and not enough on Perter. I want a Spiderman game that is more oriented around his supporting cast. Go play Spiderman for the ps1 that game was on a defining part of my childhood along with Maximum Carnage. However Maximum carnage is hard as hell. I needed an emulator to beat it. I have not finished a Spidey game since Ultimate Spiderman which I liked but found too brief. Currently I am forcing myself to finish Shattered Dimensions. The weak story and poor presentation are making me hate the experience. Maybe I will try Web of Shadows. I guess I want something different. Also there is the laziness that comes from confidence. Spiderman's media presence means a game with him in it will sell. The franchise needs to be in the hands of someone else. Naughty Dog or Insomniac could do something amazing with the property I am sure.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@teerack said:

Most are pretty good not counting the ones based on movies, since no game based on a movie is good.

Wolverine Origins was supposedly a legit game.

Not that I played it.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i thought the majority was good.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

Havent found the right developer yet.
    Like Batman.All the games before Asylum were crap,but then came Rocksteady.....

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

At least you guys get games...le sigh. =(

Funkypanda123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They Don't Listen To The Fans, Okay they did a little (A Microscopic) bit for the Tasm2game overall (IMO) is just a copy and paste from The TASM1 game With A Different Costume For Spidey

SpiderZardss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Spiderman and his fans are still bitter after watching the Arkham Knight demo.

Go blame Disney for not having any good developers and whoring the license out to shit developers like Beenox.

12345F12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have treyarch make another ultimate spider-man game that was a great spider-man game

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FearTheLiving

Havent found the right developer yet.

Like Batman.All the games before Asylum were crap,but then came Rocksteady.....

Pretty much this. Marvel/Disney just needs to find the right developers. Not to mention I believe Activision had exclusive rights to Spider-man games so there wasn't much choice in that regard.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a few I remember being ok, but I think, kinda like Superman to some extent, it's hard to make a game that does justice to him

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Licensed properties as a whole are notoriously crap.

That said, Spider-Man has actually managed to stay at least playable, though playing as the Green Goblin in the first movie tie in was the highlight, and I found myself wanting to play Web of Shadows 2 as Symbiote Wolverine vs King Spider-Man.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
    SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Ah yes, I remember this post. Back in the good ol noob days.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By PaperDemon

spiderman for ps1 and n64 was my favorite

then ultimate spiderman and spiderman 2 for ps2 and xbox

the first one wasent bad either

shattered dimensions next and web of shadows

all not mentioned arent worth being mentioned.

Smithers98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite enjoyed a couple of the spiderman games, but never actually completed any of the story. I play the spiderman games to websling around the place, i feel they have gone the wrong way with the new games restricting this.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jimishim12

Spidey needs the developer equivalent of Devil May Cry and the Batman Arkham games in his corner. It's just that Marvel fucking treats Spidey like a joke and doesn't take him seriously(seriously they just figure, Spiderman is a popular icon so they don't need to put in as much work with him since his image is famous enough for anyone to cater to no matter how lackluster their work on franchise and character is), because they're all about the Marvel U and the Avengers as the centerpiece of their creative and imaginative quality productions, cuz of the MCU and being dicks to all other franchises like Xmen, Fantastic Four and others.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Spidey as had an alright track record when comes to video games, there not at Arkham level. But that can change with time, just think another studio needs produced Spidey games.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Things to make a good spidey game

Original story

Arkham style fight

Free roam

A fun city to explore

A large verity of villains and allies

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Web of Shadows is decent.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
    TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They've got a better track record than Superman Games IMHO.

No Caption Provided

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good game requires passion + talent from the developer. Spider-Man, being the massive money maker that he is, has simply never been in the hands of a company that has both.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's real weakness...

floating rings!

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less mission based, open world Spider-Man and more event ridden action/platforming, in my opinion. The former is polarizing because its free roaming moments are killed by the city's nothingness in terms of challenge. The game only carries itself whenever inside a building, with repetitive beat em up gameplay and little room for swinging around. That's why I think a more linear, level to level structure is better to realize both swinging and fighting at a good pace, with a platforming emphasis to Spider-Man's moves. Don't make enemies hit sponges, but use them as opportunities to get higher or go faster, and develop good enough physics to make us feel Spider-Man's acceleration and momentum when climbing and swinging.

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cresShadow

@fallschirmjager: Ive played it. best movie based game period. and if you put in the invincibility cheat during your time in weapon X...I wont go into details cuz spoilers(minor but still) you can pretty much do the mission as zombie wolverine. as for spider-man, I always felt that the arkham formula worked better for spider-man that it does for batman for obvious reasons so if I was in charge of a spider-man game, I would keep that plus add in actual combos. I hate how spider-man only has one attack button. amazing spider-man 2 could of been great but it felt as if beenox got lazy with it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.