Who would you like to see play Peter Parker

Posted by CloneOfBenReilly (12 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a new trailer posted for the upcoming 'The Amazing Spider-man' movie and when I first opened the page I thought I could see Dexter (Micheal Hall) in Spidey's suit. That got me wondering who the best current actor would be to play Peter Parker. It's probably been done to death here and elsewhere, but why not?

I'd expect someone like Shia LeBeauf but would scoff (and still go see it 3 times). Maybe Joseph Gordon-Levitt? What do you think?

#1 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I think Andrew Garfield is going to do a good job. But besides him, Zac Efron. ♥

#2 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield was a good choice, I'm glad they went with a random. Besides that, I have no idea who else would be a good choice.

@Renee: Why Zac Efron lol?

#3 Posted by Joygirl (18505 posts) - - Show Bio

People always hate when I suggest him for stuff, but I could see Hayden Christensen doing it. He sucked in Star Wars but he's been great in everything else he's done (Jumper, Awake, etc.), so I'd give him a shot as an older Spidey.

#4 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget:

Because I'm in love with him. :P

But for reals I think he looks the part and could act it well. You may only think of him from HSM but he's done more serious roles like Charlie St. Cloud and he was good.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renee: TBH, I've never seen High School Musical :P and I think the only thing I've seen him in is 17 Again. I guess he kind of looks the part, but maybe just a young Pete not an older one.

#6 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Peter Parker should be much younger. Andrew Garfield is 27 but when Peter first gets his powers he is 15. If they ever recast him he should be a lot closer to that age.

#7 Edited by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason Tobey Maguire was such a great choice is that he had a good "nerdy looking, could be a weirdo" vibe to him. I find that Andrew Garfield doesn't have this, not saying he would do a bad job, I just find he doesn't look the part

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
The reason Tobey Maguire was such a great choice is that he had a good "nerdy looking, could be a weirdo" vibe to him. I find that Andrew Garfield doesn't have this, not saying he would do a bad job, I just find he doesn't look the part
I never thought Tobey Maguire was a good choice. Ever.
#9 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said:
perhaps I overstated, he wasn't the perfect choice, he pulled off looking like an awkward, dorky looking dude very well, Andrew Garfield looks like a male model 

I don't know, I guess Petey is supposed to be Don Juan these days, but in his original appearance and in the Ultimate books I think he was meant to be kind of average in terms of looks, definitely "dorky looking"........... 

Of course, none of this effects a performance, I'm just saying
#10 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@cattlebattle said:

Agreed. He's got the look, but I just hate his acting.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said:
perhaps I overstated, he wasn't the perfect choice, he pulled off looking like an awkward, dorky looking dude very well, Andrew Garfield looks like a male model  I don't know, I guess Petey is supposed to be Don Juan these days, but in his original appearance and in the Ultimate books I think he was meant to be kind of average in terms of looks, definitely "dorky looking"...........  Of course, none of this effects a performance, I'm just saying
Well in the Ultimate Universe it was always stated that Peter was incredibly cute, I'm pretty sure there's even a scene in it with all the females discussing the fact. 
#12 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said:

Well in the Ultimate Universe it was always stated that Peter was incredibly cute, I'm pretty sure there's even a scene in it with all the females discussing the fact. 
hmmmm.....strange, being that he was drawn smaller  and more awkward than any other incarnation, guess it depends on the writer and artist
#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said:

hmmmm.....strange, being that he was drawn smaller  and more awkward than any other incarnation, guess it depends on the writer and artist
You can still be small and awkward and good looking. Bendis did the whole series did he not?
#14 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said
You can still be small and awkward and good looking. Bendis did the whole series did he not?
Correct on both counts, don't know, Peter form Ultimate always just looked like a geeky hot mess in those books to me
#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32698 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@spiderbat87 said:
@cattlebattle said
Correct on both counts, don't know, Peter form Ultimate always just looked like a geeky hot mess in those books to me
Well in the concept design for Ultimate Pete it says "Peter Parker - 5ft 9, 140lbs, little nerd but cute" and "big feet and hands, as if he's not fully grown in to them" 
#16 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget:

I thought they were going for a younger version? Well he looks a little older since 17 Again anyway lol.

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben Reilly.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renee said:

@Deranged Midget:

I thought they were going for a younger version? Well he looks a little older since 17 Again anyway lol.

Well they are lmao, but I don't think he can pull off an older look if the series kicks off. But that's just my opinion.

#19 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

Ben Reilly.

Best answer

#20 Posted by TheRedRobin96 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Shia LeBeouf would be a TERRIABLE Spider-Man. I think that Andrew Garfield will be a great Peter Parker.

#21 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield was a great choice. I'd stick with him. He even has a super understated Queens accent that isn't forced at all.

#22 Posted by CloneOfBenReilly (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: Can't argue with Ben Reilly :)

#23 Posted by Strider92 (16098 posts) - - Show Bio

If he was younger and had less of an accent Jensen Ackles might have been able to pull it off. Shia LeBeouf would be an aweful Peter Parker.

#24 Posted by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

I think when casting a Spider-man, people should use the old look of the 60's Amazing Spiderman for reference. I agree that Andrew Garfield may do a good job. I also agree with Joygirl that Hayden Christensen might actually be a good Spiderman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.