Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17243 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Who was Spider-Man's arch-nemesis from 1995-1997?

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By The Hobgoblin

Let's reflect on a time in Spider-Man's life when the Green Goblin was still dead, Doc Ock had just died at Kaine's hands, and Venom was going solo as an anti-hero. The Clone Saga was still raging. With three of Spidey's main arch-nemesi out of the way for one reason or another, who then, was number one? If you're leaning towards saying the Jackal (I can see why you'd say that), just remember, he died during the end of Maximum Clonage. So there was still a time between his death and Norman Osborn's return. Anyways, who do you guys think was Spidey's #1 villain during this time frame?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By danhimself

Norman Osborn wasn't dead during that time...he orchestrated the entire Clone Saga....he was his "arch-nemesis" during that time whether Peter knew it or not

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

The Jackal was, as Spidey put, "The poor man's Doctor Doom"... So I'd say Carnage, if the "Maximum Carnage" story arc was around that time frame... Though my memory may just be failing in accuracy...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

The writers of the clone saga were his true nemesis at that time 

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By mewmdude77
    @danhimself said:
    Norman Osborn wasn't dead during that time...he orchestrated the entire Clone Saga....he was his "arch-nemesis" during that time whether Peter knew it or not
    This right here! 
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Icon

@mewmdude77 said:

@danhimself said:
    This right here!

Agreed

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Timandm
    @joshmightbe said:
    The writers of the clone saga were his true nemesis at that time 
    THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

LOL!  Well put!
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The Hobgoblin
    @danhimself
    Ahh, but fans had no idea it was Osborn until the Revelations storyline. So, looking at it from that point of view, Norman would kind of be out of the loop, wouldn't he for these qualifications?
    ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ngroove
    @The Hobgoblin said:

Let's reflect on a time in Spider-Man's life when the Green Goblin was still dead, Doc Ock had just died at Kaine's hands, and Venom was going solo as an anti-hero. The Clone Saga was still raging. With three of Spidey's main arch-nemesi out of the way for one reason or another, who then, was number one? If you're leaning towards saying the Jackal (I can see why you'd say that), just remember, he died during the end of Maximum Clonage. So there was still a time between his death and Norman Osborn's return. Anyways, who do you guys think was Spidey's #1 villain during this time frame?

Scarlet Spider / Ben Reilly-wise (post Jackal-late 1995-1996), I would say, Doctor Octopus (Carolyn Trainer).   If bending a little, to late 1997, before Spectacular Spider-Man #248-250 (Norman Osborn's return for good ) Delilah and the Rose (Jacob Conover) was also pretty rising high players during the time period, added with some Black Tarantula.
    The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Hobgoblin
    @ngroove
    For Ben Reilly post Jackal, I'd say that it's a tie between Lady Ock and maybe the Macendale Hobgoblin since they had quite a few battles. For Peter post Jackal, I'd say he relatively was battling himself, what with losing his powers and such, so he really didn't have one, not that he really should have with Ben running around as Spidey. For 1997 Peter Parker, I would say that before Doc Ock came back and before Norman came back reenvisoned as a Lex Luthor of sorts, his arch-nemeis during that time would have been Electro, who gave Spidey a pretty good smackdown of sorts during the middle of '97. If not Electro, then I'd guess the original Hobgoblin who returned the very next month after Peter donned the webs again.
    ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ngroove
    @The Hobgoblin said:

@ngroove: For Ben Reilly post Jackal, I'd say that it's a tie between Lady Ock and maybe the Macendale Hobgoblin since they had quite a few battles. For Peter post Jackal, I'd say he relatively was battling himself, what with losing his powers and such, so he really didn't have one, not that he really should have with Ben running around as Spidey. For 1997 Peter Parker, I would say that before Doc Ock came back and before Norman came back reenvisoned as a Lex Luthor of sorts, his arch-nemeis during that time would have been Electro, who gave Spidey a pretty good smackdown of sorts during the middle of '97. If not Electro, then I'd guess the original Hobgoblin who returned the very next month after Peter donned the webs again.

Hobgoblin (Macendale), I would assume, had just as many-a-battle against Spider-Men Pete or Ben, as Mysterio or Vulture around the time- I would say Mysterio was the most major of those three.  But, I would still say Doctor Octopus II ( Carolyn Trainer was known as Doctor Octopus- not Lady Octopus until her appearances in Spider-Girl) was the most major Ben Reilly nemesis.   

Still stickin', 1997-wise, Rose & Delilah, whom brought back, re-energized Electro into action, revived Octopus I (Otto Octavius), in the name of gangwar with the then-mysterious Black Tarantula.  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.