Who's death do you prefer? Spider-Man 616 or Ultimate Spider-Man

Posted by thehorriblejoke (7 posts) 10 months, 26 days ago

Poll: Who's death do you prefer? Spider-Man 616 or Ultimate Spider-Man (37 votes)

Ultimate Peter Parker 76%
616 Peter Parker 19%
Tie 5%

I have a friend who thought the 616 death of Peter was better because he feels that Peter deserved it because he was too much of a whip to have an awesome death. I personally like Ultimate Spider-Man's death better because it was just awesome over all (even though I did not want him to die)

#1 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

The superior spider man is who I prefer

#2 Posted by JetiiMitra (8517 posts) - - Show Bio

Your friend is absolutely 100% wrong. 616 Peter is an amazing character whose death should be something that shakes the entire Marvel Earth after he does some huge, impossible, selfless deed. Rather like Ultimate Peter's.

Ultimate Peter's death was much, much better done, but that's because it was supposed to be an actual, meaningful death, and 616's was supposed to piss fans off. I'd say both deaths achieved their goals.

#3 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate peter had a better death but it's because he isn't coming back. 616 Pete was killed off in such a bad way to hype his return

#4 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Your friend is absolutely 100% wrong. 616 Peter is an amazing character whose death should be something that shakes the entire Marvel Earth after he does some huge, impossible, selfless deed. Rather like Ultimate Peter's.

Ultimate Peter's death was much, much better done, but that's because it was supposed to be an actual, meaningful death, and 616's was supposed to piss fans off. I'd say both deaths achieved their goals.

QFT.

#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16736 posts) - - Show Bio

Tie. They both piss me off.

I want Peter back dammit. At this point I don't care what universe....

I love Kaine and all but god damn.

#6 Edited by War Killer (20136 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how Earth-616 Peter is a wimp while Ultimate Peter isn't, they're really the same character just at two different stages in life and are both equally great Spider-Men.

As for which death was better, I feel that Ultimate Peter's death was better. It showed how far Peter was willing to go to protect the ones he loved, fighting his greatest villains to the very end and even though it cost him his life, he still saved those he loved. Earth-616 Peter's death really wasn't that great and came off more as a mockery rather than a heroic send off. Peter saves Doc Ock's life and in return Ock switches bodies with him hours before his death, and even though Peter tried to make things right, the villain ultimately won and the hero failed. No story where the villain actually wins is a good one.

#7 Posted by Wolverine08 (41114 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how Earth-616 Peter is a wimp while Ultimate Peter isn't, they're really the same character just at two different stages in life and are both equally great Spider-Men.

As for which death was better, I feel that Ultimate Peter's death was better. It showed how far Peter was willing to go to protect the ones he loved, fighting his greatest villains to the very end and even though it cost him his life, he still saved those he loved. Earth-616 Peter's death really wasn't that great and came off more as a mockery rather than a heroic send off. Peter saves Doc Ock's life and in return Ock switches bodies with him hours before his death, and even though Peter tried to make things right, the villain ultimately won and the hero failed. No story where the villain actually wins is a good one.

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Perethorn (3348 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate one was much more memorable and heroic.

#10 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16736 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare said:

@fallschirmjager: But Miles is so awesome D:

I'm probably being unreasonable but I stopped reading both of them when Peter died. Even if it had a point in Ultimate...I have no interest in reading about Spiderman not-named Peter.

I'm pretty lucky his name isn't Scarlet Spiderman or I probably wouldn't be reading it >_>

#11 Edited by spider11211 (1141 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

i like the reasons for the 616 death better because that was only for sales and to change things up but ultimates was so they can have a politically tollerent spiderman. i really didnt like the fact they killed of peter for a black bi hispanic spiderman. not saying i dont like miles orf didnt like the death its just they killed off my fav character of my fav book to be politically correct.

#13 Posted by angelalfonso (1010 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Peter had meaningful dead 616 Peter not

#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Bravo, bravo.

#15 Edited by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (581 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate Peter's death was a lot better. Ultimate Peter went out with a bang. 616 Peter's death was absolutely terrible.

#16 Edited by GeekBait (779 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimate. It was a straight-up death (and a heroic one at that) and they brought in Miles, a great replacement to Peter.

#17 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer:

I object that statement many good stories started with villain achieving victory in the beginning this is a start of a new story. Pete became Spiderman when he refused to do a good deed and uncle paid the price for it. This time Pete is the Uncle Ben. His death is now Doc Oct moral compass. This can be done if right if clever enough. The writers have a habit of making Pete suffer and would have still continued. If Peter were to return he had to better person then he was. They finally pulled the trigger.

#19 Posted by JasonHawke (1278 posts) - - Show Bio

I say Tie because both deaths were pretty lame considering the build-up and how they -replaced- Peter with.... THEM.

D:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.