Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

who is your spiderman Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

My answer will always be Garfield. I simply don't get how anyone could like Tobey better. Garfield isn't the perfect Peter, but he's leaps and bounds better than boring Tobey. And he's definitely a superior Spider-Man

I assume you haven't read any of the Spider-man stories from the 60's nor the 70's?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 the_stegman  Moderator

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

My answer will always be Garfield. I simply don't get how anyone could like Tobey better. Garfield isn't the perfect Peter, but he's leaps and bounds better than boring Tobey. And he's definitely a superior Spider-Man

I assume you haven't read any of the Spider-man stories from the 60's nor the 70's?

I have, and I also know that this is 2014. Peter Parker, like all comic book characters grow and adapt with the times they are in. Frankly speaking, outcasts that existed in the 60's and 70's don't exist anymore. As beloved as those archtypes are, they're outdated. Garfield did a great job at showing an UPDATED version of Peter Parker while keeping the core of the character intact.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By tupiaz

@mitran said:

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

That's a pretty huge assumption.

Well since you want sporty PP instead of whiney book worm PP then I have to make such assumptions.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#155  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@mitran said:

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

I've read all of Stan Lee's run and Tobey is inferior.

I don't really care if Raimi's was written to be more of a 60's character and ASM wrote him in modern times. Garfield played the character better, in and out of the suit.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care if Raimi's was written to be more of a 60's character and ASM wrote him in modern times. Garfield played the character better, in and out of the suit.

LOL

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

LOL

The only thing hilarious was your attempt to play "I'm a bigger Spider-Man fan" card over the other guy to try and prove your opinion was more valid, when in fact it isn't.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

I have, and I also know that this is 2014. Peter Parker, like all comic book characters grow and adapt with the times they are in. Frankly speaking, outcasts that existed in the 60's and 70's don't exist anymore. As beloved as those archtypes are, they're outdated. Garfield did a great job at showing an UPDATED version of Peter Parker while keeping the core of the character intact.

The problem is that PP wasn't an athletic type of person. Having him updated as nerd that spent to much time in front of a computer doing research would have fit the outcast bookworm type much better. PP is not the same type of outcast even though he is updated he is not updated as an outcast nerd which is the whole problem.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

LOL

The only thing hilarious was your attempt to play "I'm a bigger Spider-Man fan" card over the other guy to try and prove your opinion was more valid, when in fact it isn't.

Not saying bigger I'm not that big anymore because of OMD so there is that. Simply saying that he doesn't know the old background of the character and that Garfield didn't play this role either even though it is updated to current time. USM did that updated PP as a nerd in our time ASM failed to do so.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

LOL

Not saying bigger I'm not that big anymore because of OMD so there is that. Simply saying that he doesn't know the old background of the character and that Garfield didn't play this role either even though it is updated to current time. USM did that updated PP as a nerd in our time ASM failed to do so.

Your opinion, not mine. Or the other guys.

ASM was in fact more nerdy, because he actually did nerdy things - like design his own webshooters for example. Or help Curt with the formula.

Tobey's character did what? Wear glasses and was clumsy? Sorry, that doesn't make you a nerd.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

The problem is that PP wasn't an athletic type of person. Having him updated as nerd that spent to much time in front of a computer doing research would have fit the outcast bookworm type much better. PP is not the same type of outcast even though he is updated he is not updated as an outcast nerd which is the whole problem.

ASM did a better job at capturing Peter Parker than Raimi's films ever did. Peter Parker is a social outcast, he has no friends, can't get girls to talk to him, is a genius but no one knows it and gets bullied constantly. That's EXACTLY what he was in ASM. People get hung up because he's a skateboarder and claim "Oh, he's an athlete now, that's not Peter!!" Being a skater doesn't equal being an athlete, I know plenty of skaters, and believe me, They are no Michael Jordans, it's just a hobby. If anything, the skateboarding reflects his loneliness, notice he's always alone doing it, notice even if it is consider "cool" no one actually acknowledges his talent at it. Peter in ASM is actually SMART, he knows math, he invents things, he creates his web shooters, he solves his father's formula, you actually SEE his intelligence at work. When did Raimi's Peter Parker /ever/ do anything smart? And no, spouting off random facts about spiders one can find on Wikipedia doesn't count as smarts.

Garfield's Peter was:

An outcast: check

A nerd without being a stereotype: check

A genius: Check

and most importantly, his Spidey was actually funny. Unlike Tobey who was duller than a broken crayon.

Garfield's "Small Knives" quip>>>>>>>>>>anything Tobey ever said as Spidey

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey's character did what? Wear glasses and was clumsy? Sorry, that doesn't make you a nerd.

Sorry but being an nonatheltic and clumsy is a huge part of being a the stereo type a nerdy outcast. Also Toby had his moments where he showed of his smarts right before being bit he knows a lot about spiders. However the intellectual side of PP was shown more with Garfield. Toby was still smart it just wasn't used as a plot device. However Garfield (or rather the script) lack the whole side about PP not being comfortable in his own skin and having the feeling many teenager has. That is not shown in the ASM script at all instead we are seeing a teenager that even though he is an outcast he is comfortable in his own skin. The point is not whatever PP is an outcast or not but why and how which in the new movie is complete different from the PP mythos.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By tupiaz

and most importantly, his Spidey was actually funny. Unlike Tobey who was duller than a broken crayon.

Garfield's "Small Knives" quip>>>>>>>>>>anything Tobey ever said as Spidey

Yes Garfield was better as Spider-man not as PP.

ASM did a better job at capturing Peter Parker than Raimi's films ever did. Peter Parker is a social outcast, he has no friends, can't get girls to talk to him, is a genius but no one knows it and gets bullied constantly. That's EXACTLY what he was in ASM. People get hung up because he's a skateboarder and claim "Oh, he's an athlete now, that's not Peter!!" Being a skater doesn't equal being an athlete, I know plenty of skaters, and believe me, They are no Michael Jordans, it's just a hobby. If anything, the skateboarding reflects his loneliness, notice he's always alone doing it, notice even if it is consider "cool" no one actually acknowledges his talent at it. Peter in ASM is actually SMART, he knows math, he invents things, he creates his web shooters, he solves his father's formula, you actually SEE his intelligence at work. When did Raimi's Peter Parker /ever/ do anything smart? And no, spouting off random facts about spiders one can find on Wikipedia doesn't count as smarts.

Garfield's Peter was:

An outcast: check

A nerd without being a stereotype: check

A genius: Check

Check the answer above it is not if PP was an outcast but how and why. The skateboard is still something that takes body control which PP didn't have before he got bitten and didn't show of to protect his secret identity. Instead Garfield catch a football, throws and destroys a the field goal post.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Sorry but being an nonatheltic and clumsy is a huge part of being a the stereo type a nerdy outcast. Also Toby had his moments where he showed of his smarts right before being bit he knows a lot about spiders. However the intellectual side of PP was shown more with Garfield. Toby was still smart it just wasn't used as a plot device. However Garfield (or rather the script) lack the whole side about PP not being comfortable in his own skin and having the feeling many teenager has. That is not shown in the ASM script at all instead we are seeing a teenager that even though he is an outcast he is comfortable in his own skin. The point is not whatever PP is an outcast or not but why and how which in the new movie is complete different from the PP mythos.

So you want movies to base their characters on outdated stereotypes?

A nerd can look any way you want him to look. And nerds today don't look like nerds in the 60's. Peter doesn't even look like he did in the 60's. I was the biggest nerd in high school and I was 6'3, 200+, wore all black and listened to death metal. I also got straight A's, played a shit ton of video games and read comics.

This isn't the 60's anymore and no one wants to see characters like that. They aren't written that way anymore and they aren't shown that way in movies. They even tried to do that with Superman in Superman Returns and the movie bombed hard.

ASM completely succeeded in portray the core elements of PP in a modern way. And Garfield embodied the character far better than Tobey ever did. (and lets not even get into the supporting cast members of ASM who are far better, Stone vs Dunst for example...)

If you don't agree, then so be it. Watch the Raimi films over and over. I for one am excited to see the new franchise go forward, because its way better as far as I'm concerned.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 the_stegman  Moderator

@tupiaz: Skateboarding, like anything, can be learned and improved on with practice. If it is indeed a hobby of Peter's chances are he's been doing it awhile, which means, he's gonna be somewhat decent at it. They still show that he's no athlete when Flash knocks his on his a** with one punch. They still show he's clumsy when he accidently takes out those thugs on the train, he's literally tripping over himself and only beating them by luck (and this is after his spider powers mind you). As for the football catch..how can you say that's because he's athletic?? this is after he gets his powers, his spider sense allows him to catch the ball, his super strength allows him to toss it and break the goal, it's not his natural abilities. It's like saying Tobey's Peter was athletic cause his spider powers allowed him to beat countless wrestlers.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Josh Keaton.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@fallschirmjager said:

So you want movies to base their characters on outdated stereotypes?

A nerd can look any way you want him to look. And nerds today don't look like nerds in the 60's. Peter doesn't even look like he did in the 60's. I was the biggest nerd in high school and I was 6'3, 200+, wore all black and listened to death metal. I also got straight A's, played a shit ton of video games and read comics.

This isn't the 60's anymore and no one wants to see characters like that. They aren't written that way anymore and they aren't shown that way in movies. They even tried to do that with Superman in Superman Returns and the movie bombed hard.

ASM completely succeeded in portray the core elements of PP in a modern way. And Garfield embodied the character far better than Tobey ever did. (and lets not even get into the supporting cast members of ASM who are far better, Stone vs Dunst for example...)

If you don't agree, then so be it. Watch the Raimi films over and over. I for one am excited to see the new franchise go forward, because its way better as far as I'm concerned.

You could easily have a clumsy nerd with glasses that used all his time in front of a computer that is it you don't need to update it more. Music and skateboards is not a part of PP and don't need to be. Listen to death metal and wearing all black is a different kind of outsider more look like dangerous (Columbine - I'm not saying this is correct. I like death metal my self and use to wear all black) However it still represent something different than PP did.

@tupiaz: Skateboarding, like anything, can be learned and improved on with practice. If it is indeed a hobby of Peter's chances are he's been doing it awhile, which means, he's gonna be somewhat decent at it. They still show that he's no athlete when Flash knocks his on his a** with one punch. They still show he's clumsy when he accidently takes out those thugs on the train, he's literally tripping over himself and only beating them by luck (and this is after his spider powers mind you). As for the football catch..how can you say that's because he's athletic?? this is after he gets his powers, his spider sense allows him to catch the ball, his super strength allows him to toss it and break the goal, it's not his natural abilities. It's like saying Tobey's Peter was athletic cause his spider powers allowed him to beat countless wrestlers.

Athletic and strong isn't the sane thing. A ballet dancer is athletic and has body control the person would probably still be knocked out if he got one puny from a MMA fighter. The problem is that PP don't have body control before he was bitten and didn't show it of in fear of getting outed as Spider-man. When he is on a skateboard he shows he is athletic and has a body control he is not suppose to have. About the football catch you missed the point entirely. In the comics PP don't show off his power because he is afraid he will be outed as Spider-man there is it Out of character for PP to do so. It is just like the Daredevil versus Elektra scene.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 the_stegman  Moderator

@tupiaz:

Athletic and strong isn't the sane thing. A ballet dancer is athletic and has body control the person would probably still be knocked out if he got one puny from a MMA fighter. The problem is that PP don't have body control before he was bitten and didn't show it of in fear of getting outed as Spider-man. When he is on a skateboard he shows he is athletic and has a body control he is not suppose to have. About the football catch you missed the point entirely. In the comics PP don't show off his power because he is afraid he will be outed as Spider-man there is it Out of character for PP to do so. It is just like the Daredevil versus Elektra scene.

Like I said, this Peter rides a skateboard to and from school everyday, assuming this is his primary mode of transportation as well as his hobby, it isn't farfetched that he learns some degree of skill with it, even if he isn't the best atlete in the world, it's something that he does regularly and something he's gotten used to over time. As for the football scene, he he caught the ball on a reflex (wasn't planned) similar to how he caught MJ in the first film and balanced all of her food in a crowded cafeteria. He threw the ball out of frustration of constantly being picked on. It's a normal human reaction. If anything it makes me like Peter MORE not less because it shows he DOES get angry, he isn't perfect.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz:

Like I said, this Peter rides a skateboard to and from school everyday, assuming this is his primary mode of transportation as well as his hobby, it isn't farfetched that he learns some degree of skill with it, even if he isn't the best atlete in the world, it's something that he does regularly and something he's gotten used to over time. As for the football scene, he he caught the ball on a reflex (wasn't planned) similar to how he caught MJ in the first film and balanced all of her food in a crowded cafeteria. He threw the ball out of frustration of constantly being picked on. It's a normal human reaction. If anything it makes me like Peter MORE not less because it shows he DOES get angry, he isn't perfect.

Yes and as I said it is therefor out of character for PP to be on a skateboard since he a. is clumsy and b when he gets his powers he wants to keep this image. Reason B is also the reasons that the football scene is out of character.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#171  Edited By Ninjablade09

@tupiaz said:
    @the_stegman said:

Some people seem to forget they only really showed 1 scene if him skateboarding well, and that was after he got his powers. The only other time he is on the skateboard before that is in school, and he doesn't show any sense of skill on it, so we can only a assume he is an average skateboarder. If we want to count deleted scenes there is a scene where he tries to do a trick and fails at it and looks ridiculous.

Loading Video...

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By tupiaz

@ninjablade09: One scene is more than enough and again in doesn't matter so much if it is after he get his power or before. It is still out of character either way since PP doesn't want to show of his skills. But PP would never have picked up a skateboard and done something active he would have chosen to study.

Avatar image for yourfriendlyneighborhoodspider
    YourFriendlyNeighborhoodSpiderFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

@scoey: No I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Lightblaze

LoL I will say Andrew. Even though, Tobey is a great actor, but I think Andrew nailed the character.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightblaze: If you don't mind me asking, why was that directed at me?

Lightblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lightblaze: If you don't mind me asking, why was that directed at me?

I quoted you because of the image you posted. Too bad it didn't came out. I thought it was funny. Tobey saying "I will always be Spiderman" then Andrew laughing and Tobey crying. lol

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@mitran said:

@tupiaz said:

@the_stegman said:

^This

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

Maguire. Less arrogant, more shy, more relatable, smarter and more selfless. The 2nd best superhero performance of all time (Thomas Jane's Punisher is No. 1)

Funkypanda123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Funkypanda123

Tobey was for his own time that was nerdy back then Andrew is the nerdy of today

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey was a better peter parker. A better spiderman too except that he didn't make jokes and wasn't as funny as Garfields spiderman

batman922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By batman922

I'm currently reading the entire run of Amazing Spider-man (im on issue 41) and I feel that Garfield is definitely a better spiderman he isn't a perfect peter but he is better than Toby in my opinion

Avatar image for amazingspiderman15
    AmazingSpiderman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Otto Octavius

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Neither of them. I love Sami Raimi as a director. But both takes on Spiderman are just really corny. And much of it has to do with poor casting.

shonen3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donald Glover is my GO TO SPIDERMAN. TOO BAD AMERICA IS RACIST and will never go for it.

No Caption Provided

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
    SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

@shonen3: He would make a great Peter, IMHO, though Max Thierot is my personal favorite choice for Spider-Man. I DID cast Will Smith as Captain America though.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Experio

Both.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Rabidwolfdog
    Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_ said:

Garfield, no question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey. Easily.

Garfield's take pissed me off for so many reasons. His character doesn't change at all. By the end of the film, he's the same person except with superpowers and a girlfriend. He didn't learn ANYTHING from Ben's death. Instead it's Captain Stacy that makes him a hero? WHAT??? He's totally arrogant, doesn't give a crap about anyone besides himself, lacks the guilt complex the character is known for, and would rather get sex from Gwen and risk her dying than keep a promise to a man who died for him and ensuring her safety. Oh yeah, and he treats Aunt May like a piece of trash!

Not the character I grew up reading at all. It's like the scriptwriter was actively thinking of ways to crap on the character

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@tupiaz said:

Not saying bigger I'm not that big anymore because of OMD so there is that.

REALLY?!....
    Those kind of people exist?!.....you like LESS the character because of a STORY a WRITER decided to do?!.....and especially a story that an editor FORCED the writer to do?!....

I am trully dissapointed.......
    I didn't like the Superior direction....so what,now Peter sucks?!....NO!!....
    That's called wrong mentallity.

As for the actors,read carefully.

Tobey was the 616 version of Peter Parker
    Andrew is the 1610 version of Peter Parker.

The differences between the 2 in the comics are the differences between the two in the films.

Stop debating and deal with it.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Garfield's take pissed me off for so many reasons. His character doesn't change at all. By the end of the film, he's the same person except with superpowers and a girlfriend. He didn't learn ANYTHING from Ben's death. Instead it's Captain Stacy that makes him a hero? WHAT??? He's totally arrogant, doesn't give a crap about anyone besides himself, lacks the guilt complex the character is known for, and would rather get sex from Gwen and risk her dying than keep a promise to a man who died for him and ensuring her safety. Oh yeah, and he treats Aunt May like a piece of trash!

This is the purpose of the movie.The promise braking is the ultimate sin.He will be punished for that in the sequel(s)......this came out wrong because it was intended to come out wrong.
    The character of Peter Parker is all about screwing up and paying the price......all his life.Think about it.Presumably Gwen dies in ASM2.Peter blames himself because if he had kept the promise this wouldnt have happened,etc.

And he's a kid.An arrogant,tortured kid.Presented that way.He didn't learn about the responsibility lesson in the first flick!!.....he wore the suit to hunt down Ben's killer.And then he felt guilty because he created the Lizard formula.He didn't say "With great power comes great responsibility" and went to fight random crime!!....that's the sequel's job to do.

You have to dig deeper into the script to realise some stuff.

Oh! and everything you say regard the screenwriter......Andrew had nothing to do with it....he played the role. :P

It's like the scriptwriter was actively thinking of ways to crap on the character

Isn't that 52 years of Parker history?!.....in-like- everything!?

@ninjablade09 Back me up here,i want support.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: The only thing I can add to your argument is that Captain Stacy didn't inspire him to become a hero. That's a common misconstruction that people have because they don't pay attention to the movie, and the things people say.

See what really happened is Captain Stacy made Peter realize that he isn't being a hero he thinks he is, and he isn't understanding what Uncle Ben said.

He believed that if you could do good things for other people you had a moral obligation to do those things.That's what's at stake here,not choice, responsibility.

Peter took this as it was his responsibility to avenge Uncle Ben, it's his responsibility to make up for what he did. He thought by doing this he was protecting people, and making everything safe. This why he was confused when Stacy said he is assaulting people.

He's hunting down a bunch of criminals that all look the same, like he's got some sort of personal vendetta. But he's not protecting innocent people, Mr. Parker.

This is my favorite line in the movie because its what makes him realize that he is think of it all wrong. That's why he goes to the bridge, to prove he is a hero that is protecting people. Now my favorite scene follows when he reunites the little boy with his father. This is the moment when he becomes Spider-Man, he now understands that he has to protect people. The father and son are a symbol to Peter because he has been able to help continue a father son relationship, that he not only lost with his own father, but Uncle Ben as well.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By PunyParker

@punyparker: The only thing I can add to your argument is that Captain Stacy didn't inspire him to become a hero. That's a common misconstruction that people have because they don't pay attention to the movie, and the things people say.

See what really happened is Captain Stacy made Peter realize that he isn't being a hero he thinks he is, and he isn't understanding what Uncle Ben said.

He believed that if you could do good things for other people you had a moral obligation to do those things.That's what's at stake here,not choice, responsibility.

Peter took this as it was his responsibility to avenge Uncle Ben, it's his responsibility to make up for what he did. He thought by doing this he was protecting people, and making everything safe. This why he was confused when Stacy said he is assaulting people.

He's hunting down a bunch of criminals that all look the same, like he's got some sort of personal vendetta. But he's not protecting innocent people, Mr. Parker.

This is my favorite line in the movie because its what makes him realize that he is think of it all wrong. That's why he goes to the bridge, to prove he is a hero that is protecting people. Now my favorite scene follows when he reunites the little boy with his father. This is the moment when he becomes Spider-Man, he now understands that he has to protect people. The father and son are a symbol to Peter because he has been able to help continue a father son relationship, that he not only lost with his own father, but Uncle Ben as well.

Exacly.Captain Stacy just made him understand that there is concequences in the life he chose.

And....

1. Exacly this.And the famous line may be heared in the sequel,with a flashback,or something.....in the first film he DIDN'T become a superhero.Never.He didn't learn what responsibility is.He didn't come to Cap's funeral,nor did he keep his promise to Cap about his daughter....this will have consequences.The 1st film is all about consequences.
    2. Captain was right.He surpasses the words because he's blinded by his thought of being right,when he isn't.Captain said the right thing.He didn't realise anything with these words.He heared that there are people on the bridge getting killed and he rushed to help,just by instinct.He got the message when he saved the kid.....thus the shot of him looking at the mask,at the end of the sequence.

And again,we're talking script here.....nothing to do with the actors.

AND the movie's dialog/screenplay is the biggest gripe.Story was indeed preety decent,but the screenplay was horendous imo.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: Ya, the screenplay was pretty bad. A few good lines here and there but still pretty bad. But still, I love that dinner scene, only one thing would have made it better. When Stacy says

What do you think we do all day? Sit around eating donuts with are thumbs planted firmly up our asses.

It would have been cool for Peter to say something like

Apparently it seems that way since my the guy who killed my Uncle is still on the loose.

But still, the line about vendettas is easily one of my favorite lines from the Spider-Man franchise.

kcjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By kcjr

@tupiaz: I was going to post exactly this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
    deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker said:

@nicksmi56 said:

This is the purpose of the movie.The promise braking is the ultimate sin.He will be punished for that in the sequel(s)......this came out wrong because it was intended to come out wrong.

The character of Peter Parker is all about screwing up and paying the price......all his life.Think about it.Presumably Gwen dies in ASM2.Peter blames himself because if he had kept the promise this wouldnt have happened,etc.

And he's a kid.An arrogant,tortured kid.Presented that way.He didn't learn about the responsibility lesson in the first flick!!.....he wore the suit to hunt down Ben's killer.And then he felt guilty because he created the Lizard formula.He didn't say "With great power comes great responsibility" and went to fight random crime!!....that's the sequel's job to do.

You have to dig deeper into the script to realise some stuff.

Oh! and everything you say regard the screenwriter......Andrew had nothing to do with it....he played the role. :P

@nicksmi56 said:

It's like the scriptwriter was actively thinking of ways to crap on the character

Isn't that 52 years of Parker history?!.....in-like- everything!?

@ninjablade09 Back me up here,i want support.

I both agree and disagree with you. I disagree with the notion that the character of Peter Parker is all about screwing up and paying the price. Oh he pays the price alright. A heck of a lot of prices too. That I agree with. But we aren't supposed to feel he deserves it all the time. Most of the time, it's just that dang Parker Luck. Jameson beating on him, his not catching a break, him being poor, etc. It's all Parker Luck (something that I didn't really see in the newest film. I think the closest they got was the scene with the flowers get messed up in his bookbag.) If he got everything that came to him because he deserved it, he would be the world's most successful serial killer to heap that much bad karma. Not that he never screws up, but he always learns from it and comes out a better person for it. Plus Peter Parker is a ridiculously nice guy. He's one of the most moral superheroes ever. It's pretty much his defining characteristic. He's the guy that takes a kid swinging around just because they dropped their ice cream. He's the guy who takes time out of his frankly miserable at the time life to visit a cancer patient. He's the guy that goes and saves a guy he hates just because it's the right thing to do. Garfield wasn't that. In truth, I really wanted to punch him in the face for most of the film, especially when it came to Aunt May (ugh, let's not get into how misused she was). I can honestly say I've never disliked a Peter Parker more. He just seemed like a total douche who didn't care about anyone except for when the plot required him to be nice.

As for him learning in the sequel, too late. Honestly. First off, it's not the sequel's job to teach him to be a hero. It's pretty much a fact at this point that after Uncle Ben dies and he catches the killer, Peter takes a hard look at himself and starts trying to help people. Heck, in the Ultimate universe, he went out to fight crime and save people directly after he caught the killer, on the same night in fact! Uncle Ben is the catalyst for him becoming a hero and learning about responsibility. Plain and simple. Also, the sequel doesn't seem to be focusing on that at all. By the time we re-enter Peter's life, he's already a hero, as evidenced by the trailers. Anyway, the one overriding thing that they CAN NOT change that they did is that he learns to be a better person from Uncle Ben. That's the entire point of his death! What's more is it really reinforces the loving relationship they had, and the guilt he feels over how he acted. We didn't get that here. Peter doesn't seem to realize Ben's death was his fault. We never get that crucial moment where he reflects and realizes that if he had just thought of someone other than himself, Ben would be alive. Not that I need him to turn and say it to the camera, but give me something. A flashback or whatever, SOMETHING! Unless you want to make the case that he realizes his uncle died because he was selfish and then.....decides to be selfish again? In that case, he's even worse than I thought.

Someone watching the film with no prior knowledge wouldn't get the reason why he becomes a hero. Heck, I don't even get it.

@ninjablade09 said:

You and I see that scene WAAAYYY differently. Peter isn't trying to be a hero when he goes to catch the killer. He just wants to catch the killer. Though that was kind of obvious, especially since he doesn't even bother to bring a number of the people he catches to the police but rather just leaves them at large. You can pick them out if you rewatch the scenes. So no, it's not out of some misguided sense of heroism. It's petty revenge. The dude killed his uncle and he wants to make him pay. That's it. As for the Stacy scene, he's making excuses. It's like when your parents catch you doing something wrong and you go "But...." and make up some excuse. That's exactly what's happening here. He's not confused that Stacy thinks he's assaulting people. He KNOWS he's assaulting people, but he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. That's why he's so adamant about being right. Like your pal PunyParker said, he's a kid. Stacy chews him out and he starts thinking about how he should stop thinking about only himself and start thinking of others. Then he chooses to save the kid over stopping Lizard in the bridge scene, one of the few scenes I like wholeheartedly. But the fact that Stacy's speech is the one that makes him choose to save people while Ben's death just made him go on a rampage means that it is in fact Stacy that convinces him to be a hero. And that's all wrong.

Back to @punyparker:

Like I said, I don't get why Peter becomes a hero. Why does he give a crap what Stacy says in the first place? He certainly didn't give a crap when Gwen begged him not to get her in trouble in OsCorp. He just went off and snuck around anyway with no thought of how she might lose her job. Same with Aunt May when he was supposed to pick her up. He just ignored Ben's call cause he couldn't be bothered to put off the experiment for a day so he could pick up his elderly aunt instead of making her walk like 20 blocks in the middle of the night on her own. And that's just two instances of him not caring about other people. So we have a character that couldn't care less about the people that like him, but gives so much importance to someone that hates him, when a family member just died and he's even MORE likely to brush people off? What? It just rings false.

On to the whole Gwen dying thing somehow justifying the first film, no. First off, Gwen's death in the comics was a tragic affair because Peter was NOT the cause of it. To him, the Goblin was out of his life and didn't remember his identity. So he was in the clear. Plus he knew Gwen for quite a while and he had fallen in love with her. Why not be together? Here, this is a girl he doesn't know and certainly doesn't love. They're physically attracted to each other but that's it. They never actually TALK to each other besides awkward mumbling when they're not together and when they do get together, all they talk about is Spider-Man. They don't know what the other person likes, dislikes, their dreams and ambitions, what the other's favorite activity is, nothing. All because the film would rather have them make doe eyes at each other than actually talk and build a relationship like real people. Admittedly, this is a problem for most film romances, but it still counts here. By the end of the film, all Peter knows about Gwen is her dad is dead, she works at OsCorp, she's smart and she's hot. All Gwen knows is Peter has an uncle who's dead, he's smart, he's Spider-Man, and he looks like Andrew Garfield. Sorry, but if you don't know the other person, that's not love. That's lust. You may make the argument that he thinks he's in love, which is fine. After all, he's a teenager.....except for the fact that a TEENAGE Peter Parker made this exact choice in the comics (Betty Brant) and made the EXACT OPPOSITE choice than Garfield. Because that choice is hideously out of character for Peter Parker, plain and simple.

So is the death still tragic? Not for me, because it's Peter's fault. Seriously, they had Captain Stacy literally TELL HIM TO HIS FACE that she would die if he didn't give her up ("People you love are going to get hurt. Leave Gwen out of it."), but apparently sex > everything in Peter's eyes. Even if he was really in love with her (which he's not), you'd think someone as supposedly smart as him would say "Hmmm the first time I was selfish, someone I cared about died. Then someone else I cared about died because of another time I was selfish. Maybe I shouldn't be selfish this time so Gwen can live." Why does Peter need THREE people to DIE before he learns to not be selfish? Ugh.

Even thematically, the choice is just wrong. We have the entire film be about him learning that he is not the only one that matters and that he should do the right thing and when the moment finally comes to prove to the audience that he has learned he......turns around and starts doing the exact same crap he would've done if none of this had happened? UGH.

I can go on but I think I made my point. The sequel looks better and much more in character (save the fact that he's still with Gwen and apparently not feeling any guilt about it), but this film really made me wary of the franchise as a whole. Definitely waiting for reviews before I even think of spending money on it. But even if it's the best Spidey film ever (which I desperately hope it will be), it can't save this turd.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.