Who is the better Spider-Man Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?

#101 Posted by Darkseid011 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

I say tobey McGuire, Andrew Garfield suckkkkkkedddd.

#102 Posted by JasonHawke (2281 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Tobey is better because everytime someone brings up Spiderman, i think of Tobey....

Lasting impressions.

#103 Posted by PeppeyHare (4328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Garfield

#104 Edited by spideyfan69 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

Josh Keaton

#105 Posted by Acro808 (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield. I say he is better as Spider-Man than Tobey Maguire was.

#106 Edited by gor724 (880 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that Toby played the better geek, and Garfield played the better Spiderman. He brought more humor to the role than Toby did. That being said, Garfield seems like an extremely awesome guy in the movie who would defiantly be popular. He's just got that pretty boy look. Toby couldn't of played the Peter Parker part more, he had the side combed hair the glasses, and he was a nerd. Both are great actors though.

#107 Posted by PaperDemon (684 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield SUCKS.

#108 Posted by comicbookfan93 (478 posts) - - Show Bio

As Spidey I preferred Andrew Garfield

#109 Edited by RedBeard93 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

There is something wrong with all of you, me and my partner at the time, walked out of this ****. God-aweful directing and acting! Totaly bland to say the least, no depth what-so-ever in the characters.

Tobey Maguire FTW!!!

http://i.imgur.com/eignMyt.gif

#110 Edited by PunyParker (14950 posts) - - Show Bio

Another thing SM3 did wrong.......Tobey sucked....big time.
SM and SM2 he was good....and the movies were awesome!

#111 Posted by MASTER_OF_SUPRISE (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I liked both but I never got the impression that Garfield's Peter was a nerd. However he did bring a lot more humor to the role of Spider-Man that was somewhat missing from the previous trilogy.

#112 Posted by PaperDemon (684 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG. I cannot believe so many people would vote for Andrew Garfield instead of the talented actor that is Tobey Mcguire.

I just cannot believe it. I mean like ASM all you want, but come on, Toeby Mcguire was the best Spider-man.

#113 Posted by Darkseid011 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Toby McGuire all the way!

#114 Posted by SirNickTheEpic (690 posts) - - Show Bio

toby was a better peter because he appears more geeky however andy kills it a spiderman so id say its break even

#115 Edited by PunyParker (14950 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew is more appealing as Peter Parker and Spider-Man.
Tobey did a wonderful job as a first Peter Parker Spider-Man.

Both are/were great,and Andrew has 2 movies(at least) more to prove himself.

And NOONE has given us the perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man yet.So stop.

Chill with the subject.

#116 Edited by Cutter (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Mcguire is o....k, but I will pick Andrew Garfield.

#117 Posted by Diijaye23 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, I grew up watching Tobey Maguire

as Spider-Man. His acting was a bit shady but he was a GOOD Spider-Man. I personally don't like changes to origanal movies with exceptions but Andrew I felt like he just took Tobey in those movies and gave him life. To me they have the same hype to me

#118 Edited by FearTheLiving (5309 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey, but both aren't very good Spider-men. Tobey didn't joke enough and Andrew jokes too much and comes off more as a douchebag then Spider-man in my opinion.

EDIT: We'll see how he portrays him in AMS2 maybe I'll change my mind.

#119 Posted by Zardu (367 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire

Andrew Garfield acts too unsympathetic and arrogant. He is more of a solitary hipster than a nerd. I could not sympathize nor cheer. He would be a good cast for a student who bullies Peter Parker. In addition, his face does not match Peter Parker. He is just the wrong guy for that kind of role.

#120 Posted by Pizzaman (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Garfield's spidey more. Tobey's spidey didn't quip at all for some stupid reason and stood in one spot punching the villain instead of using his agility. Garfield's spidey got the cocky attitude of the early spidey right and he had a lot of quips. I don't get why people put the fact that Garfield's spidey was cocky/arrogant/douchebaggy and constantly quipping as negatives when that was exactly how peter was when he started out as spider-man.

#121 Posted by Zardu (367 posts) - - Show Bio

@pizzaman said:

"I don't get why people put the fact that Garfield's spidey was cocky/arrogant/douchebaggy and constantly quipping as negatives when that was exactly how peter was when he started out as spider-man."

Maybe because arrogant heroes are not liked and no one can/want identify with them (especially in movies).

#122 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@Vance Astro said:

Tobey Mcguire is GOD AWFUL.

Are you telling me that God send Tobey to be so bad, that he is evidence that God is real and he hates mankind.

Because that make sense.

I cant understand how people like Tobey as Spiderman or as an actor.

Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker
Peter happy
Peter stunned
Peter Parker

Tobey is as bad as Nicholas Cage, the thing is that Nic Cage at least is funny.

That's what YOU think. Tobey Mcguire had the looks, voice, and personality to play Spider man. I thought he played the better superhero than Nicholas Cage as Ghost Rider. Tobey exhibited the strength and skills of Spider man better than Andrew did. Plus, Andrew's jokes sound like he was forced to make them. Tobey's was a bit more natural.

#123 Edited by leonkarlen123 (8819 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Tobey by a long shot, he is the classic shizz

#124 Posted by THORSON (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

i always liked tobey. Andrew seems annoying and bratty.

#125 Posted by Bezza (4833 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was the first Spidey so its gonna take a while for Garfield to take over. I think Marvel were shrewd to re-boot the franchise quickly so that Spiderman doesn't suffer what Superman did with Chris Reeve. The votes on here are fairly evenly split between Maguire/Garfield which I think is a healthy thing!

#126 Posted by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza said:

Tobey was the first Spidey so its gonna take a while for Garfield to take over. I think Marvel were shrewd to re-boot the franchise quickly so that Spiderman doesn't suffer what Superman did with Chris Reeve. The votes on here are fairly evenly split between Maguire/Garfield which I think is a healthy thing!

I think they should've just wrote Spider man out after Tobey quitted.

#127 Posted by FullbringerVizard (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Both actors were really good. It's just that " The Amazing Spiderman" is way better than the "Spiderman"."

#128 Posted by Bezza (4833 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended:

What?!! Are you serious! Like, no more Spiderman films?!

#129 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@bezza: Well, think about it, when RDJ quits as Iron man, what other choice would they have just like with Spider man if they were to write them out? We know that RDJ can't be replaced as Iron man. So just like Tobey was one of the best Spider man actors, he would be in RDJ's shoes.

#130 Posted by Bezza (4833 posts) - - Show Bio

..nah, Spiderman is like Batman, Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. The franchise can live for as long as the fans wanna see the movies. Doesn't matter who plays Spidey. Iron Man is harder because the character was largely unknown to the non comic fan world before RDJ and he is so Iron Man that its hard to think of anyone else doing it.

#131 Posted by spidex (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Garfield. There are loads of people who have this notion that just because maguire was there in the original trilogy, he is the better spiderman, or he is our image of spiderman. Gibberish. No offence to Tobey, he was good, but Garfield was just great. He played he part perfectly. He is like Peter Parker ripped out of the comic book.

#133 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6708 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield surprised me in Amazing Spider-Man 2, and was FAR better than his performance in the first movie which I thought was terrible...But as good as he ways, I think Maguire is better.

#134 Edited by Wolverine08 (48756 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield.

#135 Edited by TheDemoGoblin (678 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield.

Seriously, Garfield.

#136 Posted by Manchine (4406 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire easily.

#137 Posted by z3n_spyder616 (103 posts) - - Show Bio

andrew garfield

he just got awesome at the 2nd

#138 Posted by Star-Lord78 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19: are all nerds suppose to have the same style? Some people prefer contacts over glasses, everybody has different interests Andrew's Peter loved skateboarding. I see most skinny guys wearing skinny jeans and Andrew Garfield is pretty damn skinny. I wear skinny jeans because baggy pants would look weird on me cause I'm skinny as hell

#139 Edited by silent_bomber (2843 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield, no contest.

Maguire would win in a face-pulling contest though

#140 Posted by MarvelMan92 (304 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended: voice? really? because peter sounded nothing like that. infact he sounded alot weaker. andrew acted more like a person. someone you can talk to after you've bumped into. infact, andrew also has the emotion and charm than tobey ever had. tobey never had better expressions

#141 Edited by Thor_Parker82 (5824 posts) - - Show Bio

I can´t understand how there is people that prefer Maguire as Spiderman, Garfield is much better as Spidey and as Parker, people claiming that Garfield did a good Spiderman but not a good Peter, I am sure they are old, because I have read every Spiderman comic that has come out since 2004, issues 400 to 700, all Ultimate Spiderman with Peter Parker and all Avengers issues with Spiderman, and Garfield is exactly as Spiderman and as Peter, he has the looks, the attitude, the jokes, everything. So the people that say Maguire is a better Peter Parker, he may be like Parker, but he is like the Parker from the 60s and early 70s, people need to understand that this are 2012 and 2014 movies, so they are making a current Peter Parker, people that are mad because Garfield was not a nerd, guess what ? Parker is not a nerd anymore, so move on and accept Garfield did a great job portraying both current Peter and Spiderman.

When I saw Amazing Spider-Man 2 I felt like I was reading a comic book, I finally got to see the Parker and Spiderman attitude from the comics.

Maguire DOES NOT act like Peter and Spiderman at all, Peter was a nerd guy at the beggining OK but Maguire was just creepy, a very creepy guy, worse than a normal nerd, and also Mary Jane´s personality in Raimi trilogy is very different from the Mary Jane on the comics, Mary Jane from the movie was screaming all the time and was a bi** cheating on Parker, his astronaut boyfriend and Harry Osborn, while the Mary Jane from the comics is very loyal and just the best girlfriend someone could have. The first two Raimi movies were great movies, but they did a very bad job portraying the characters.

The Amazing Spiderman movies did an excellent job portraying the characters from how they are in the comics, especially Spiderman.

Andrew Garfield IS THE BEST Spiderman and Peter, and actually loves the character, just look at his interviews and you will see how much he loves and appreciates Peter and Spiderman.

#142 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:

I can´t understand how there is people that prefer Maguire as Spiderman, Garfield is much better as Spidey and as Parker, people claiming that Garfield did a good Spiderman but not a good Peter, I am sure they are old, because I have read every Spiderman comic that has come out since 2004, issues 400 to 700, all Ultimate Spiderman with Peter Parker and all Avengers issues with Spiderman, and Garfield is exactly as Spiderman and as Peter, he has the looks, the attitude, the jokes, everything. So the people that say Maguire is a better Peter Parker, he may be like Parker, but he is like the Parker from the 60s and early 70s, people need to understand that this are 2012 and 2014 movies, so they are making a current Peter Parker, people that are mad because Garfield was not a nerd, guess what ? Parker is not a nerd anymore, so move on and accept Garfield did a great job portraying both current Peter and Spiderman.

When I saw Amazing Spider-Man 2 I felt like I was reading a comic book, I finally got to see the Parker and Spiderman attitude from the comics.

Maguire DOES NOT act like Peter and Spiderman at all, Peter was a nerd guy at the beggining OK but Maguire was just creepy, a very creepy guy, worse than a normal nerd, and also Mary Jane´s personality in Raimi trilogy is very different from the Mary Jane on the comics, Mary Jane from the movie was screaming all the time and was a bi** cheating on Parker, his astronaut boyfriend and Harry Osborn, while the Mary Jane from the comics is very loyal and just the best girlfriend someone could have. The first two Raimi movies were great movies, but they did a very bad job portraying the characters.

The Amazing Spiderman movies did an excellent job portraying the characters from how they are in the comics, especially Spiderman.

Andrew Garfield IS THE BEST Spiderman and Peter, and actually loves the character, just look at his interviews and you will see how much he loves and appreciates Peter and Spiderman.

First statement you just admitted the Maguire looks more like PP than Garfield does.

Second statement would be referring to Spider-man 3 when he did the dance scene. He was passable in Spider-man 1 and 2.

Third, you're still not understanding the reason why some people prefer Maguire over Garfield. I think this is also the reason why the Spider-man fandom on the internet has became very naive and biased over the last two years. Raimi picked Maguire for the role originally because he liked his physical attribute and appeal a lot, he saw him as an ideal Spider-man. He had the right looks, built, and charisma. He was also very iconic to the role regardless of what you say about him, more iconic than Garfield ever was.

Also, Maguire was "fanboy/girl" possible while Garfield only pleases comic book fans. Let's not forget that Maguire had the sympathetic "teenage" voice embodied into the character that helped him transition to being a great and historical superhero that he ever was. Basically, those are the aspects that made Tobey very interesting to the Spider-man role even though his PP/SM was horribly written. Also, Maguire was a solid performer just like Garfield and was more emotional in the story telling than him.

Take a look at both sides of the spectrum and you will understand why some people prefer Tobey and some others prefer Andrew.

#143 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (5824 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

First statement you just admitted the Maguire looks more like PP than Garfield does.

Second statement would be referring to Spider-man 3 when he did the dance scene. He was passable in Spider-man 1 and 2.

Third, you're still not understanding the reason why some people prefer Maguire over Garfield. I think this is also the reason why the Spider-man fandom on the internet has became very naive and biased over the last two years. Raimi picked Maguire for the role originally because he liked his physical attribute and appeal a lot, he saw him as an ideal Spider-man. He had the right looks, built, and charisma. He was also very iconic to the role regardless of what you say about him, more iconic than Garfield ever was.

Also, Maguire was "fanboy/girl" possible while Garfield only pleases comic book fans. Let's not forget that Maguire had the sympathetic "teenage" voice embodied into the character that helped him transition to being a great and historical superhero that he ever was. Basically, those are the aspects that made Tobey very interesting to the Spider-man role even though his PP/SM was horribly written. Also, Maguire was a solid performer just like Garfield and was more emotional in the story telling than him.

Take a look at both sides of the spectrum and you will understand why some people prefer Tobey and some others prefer Andrew.

1. On the first statement I said Tobey looks like Parker, yes, I said that, but he looks like the Parker FROM THE 60s, Garfield is and looks like modern Parker, I never said Maguire looks more like Parker than Garfield.

ANDREW GARFIELD HAS THE EXACT SAME LOOKS AS MODERN PETER, you won´t find anyone that looks that much alike.

2. No, he was very creepy on the 3 movies and cried horrible.

3. I can tell you the same thing that I said above MAGUIRE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE PARKER, Parker doesn´t have that hairstyle and that kind of nerd face since the 80s.

4. Dude, the voice of Maguire was one of the worst things.

5. Like I told you in another thread, most people that prefer Maguire are the ones that do not read comics, they only prefer him because he was the first, they would also prefer Garfield if he was the first that played Spiderman

#144 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

1. On the first statement I said Tobey looks like Parker, yes, I said that, but he looks like the Parker FROM THE 60s, Garfield is and looks like modern Parker, I never said Maguire looks more like Parker than Garfield.

ANDREW GARFIELD HAS THE EXACT SAME LOOKS AS MODERN PETER, you won´t find anyone that looks that much alike.

3. I can tell you the same thing that I said above MAGUIRE DOES NOT LOOK LIKE PARKER, Parker doesn´t have that hairstyle and that kind of nerd face since the 80s.

5. Like I told you in another thread, most people that prefer Maguire are the ones that do not read comics, they only prefer him because he was the first, they would also prefer Garfield if he was the first that played Spiderman

2) What do you mean? He cried when his Uncle died, he cried when he misses his Uncle after High School. That was just for Spider-man 1. He cried at least two times in that movie. He only started crying again in the 3rd Spider-man movie when he knows Sandman killed his uncle and when Harry died. He cried at least two times in that movie too. Or do you want me to watch Spider-man 1 and 2 again to tally up for you how many times he cried?

3) Tell me why does that matter? As long as there is Peter Parker of both of them that exists in the comics, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal which Peter Parker you get.

4) How? It's one of the best voices for Spider-man ideally in my book.

5) Hmm, let's see, the original trilogy writers wrote good plots, but horrible development of PP/SM. And the new trilogy while horrible with plots, have good writing for the development of PP/SM. If Maguire and Garfield were to trade places right now, that should tell you something doesn't it?

#145 Posted by PunyParker (14950 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended said:

5) Hmm, let's see, the original trilogy writers wrote good plots, but horrible development of PP/SM. And the new trilogy while horrible with plots, have good writing for the development of PP/SM. If Maguire and Garfield were to trade places right now, that should tell you something doesn't it?

4. Nah,no i can't agree.
5. The plots were as generic as it gets.......ASM plots are too.Just more.

#146 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: The light and opened "teenage" voice Tobey had embodied Peter Parker as both a sympathetic and superior superhero. What is wrong with that? I think it's one of the best voices out there for Spider-man. Andrew's voice is just too thick and boyish for my taste, and not sympathetic enough.

#147 Posted by PunyParker (14950 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended said:

@punyparker: The light and opened "teenage" voice Tobey had embodied Peter Parker as both a sympathetic and superior superhero. What is wrong with that? I think it's one of the best voices out there for Spider-man. Andrew's voice is just too thick and boyish for my taste, and not sympathetic enough.

That's your opinion.I have mine.
I like Andrew's voice more.

#148 Posted by deaditegonzo (4145 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield is the better Spidey and Peter, but Maguire has been in the better movies so far.

#149 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (5824 posts) - - Show Bio

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

2) What do you mean? He cried when his Uncle died, he cried when he misses his Uncle after High School. That was just for Spider-man 1. He cried at least two times in that movie. He only started crying again in the 3rd Spider-man movie when he knows Sandman killed his uncle and when Harry died. He cried at least two times in that movie too. Or do you want me to watch Spider-man 1 and 2 again to tally up for you how many times he cried?

3) Tell me why does that matter? As long as there is Peter Parker of both of them that exists in the comics, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal which Peter Parker you get.

2. I didn´t mean the number of times he cried, what I said is that he acts horrible when he cries, the faces and the sound, it feels very forced and fake.

3. It does matter because we are in 2014, so if you are making a movie in that year, you should do a Peter from that year.

4. Not for me, in fact it is the opposite for me, Garfield´s voice captures perfectly the character, actually when I read Spiderman comics the voice of Garfield just comes out of the pages ( obviously not literally).

GARFIELD IS THE BEST THERE IS AT WHAT HE DOES, AND WHAT HE DOES IS PLAY SPIDERMAN IN MOVIES

#150 Edited by Ascended (624 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

@ascended said:

@thor_parker82 said:

2. I didn´t mean the number of times he cried, what I said is that he acts horrible when he cries, the faces and the sound, it feels very forced and fake.

3. It does matter because we are in 2014, so if you are making a movie in that year, you should do a Peter from that year.

4. Not for me, in fact it is the opposite for me, Garfield´s voice captures perfectly the character, actually when I read Spiderman comics the voice of Garfield just comes out of the pages ( obviously not literally).

GARFIELD IS THE BEST THERE IS AT WHAT HE DOES, AND WHAT HE DOES IS PLAY SPIDERMAN IN MOVIES

2. Do I have to show you the clip with the Uncle Ben's death scene from the first Spider-man movie again?

3. It doesn't really matter. A lot of people still prefer anything from the 90s, as long as you stick the source material, it's all it matters.

4. I think Maguire's voice was actually better than the one from the comic books (my opinion though). But any how, both Maguire and Garfield have fitting voices for Spidey, why do we need to choose a side? Can't we just accept or like both?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.