Who is the better Spider-Man Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?

• 172 results
#51 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio
@nickzambuto said:

@dvader said:

Looking at this thread seems like a major contradiction to what I read on the news and from movie critics' review of the Spiderman movies. A lot of them seem to like Toby Maguire. I thought I was the only one who liked Andrew Garfield until I came here to this thread to find that I am in the majority.

Anyone else experience this?

It seems the general populace prefer Tobey, but that's only because those were the movies they all know and love. The real Spidey fans know Garfield was much better for the character (though to be fair, it wasn't Tobey's fault. He was held back by the script and direction. He did great with what he had)

Like the real fans that know Peter Parker was supposed to be wimpy, and besides when american employment  is at an all time low we outsource spider-man to Britain.
#52 Posted by tylerlugowski (118 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Andrew was the better one, but he still didn't capture Peter Parker the way I wanted him to. He did a way better job than Tobey, but was still a little short of the Peter Parker I was looking for. I think i'm just being a little stubborn though because i've read spiderman all my life and he's my favorite hero so I'm a little anal about how people play his character lol but that's just me being stubborn. Andrew did a good job.

#53 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@ratman19 said:

i didnt like how they tried to supermodernize peter parker in ASM. he didnt look like a nerd to me.(skinny jeans,skateboard,contacts) that is not how i want peter parker to look like. i liked andrew garfields spiderman better because he added the humor and he looked more like a teenager in tights than toby and he had the web-shooters.

Why wouldn't they modernize it? Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker is what a nerd would look like today. I don't get it.
#54 Posted by ratman19 (525 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: the people who are considered nerds at my school dont where contacts,skinny jeans, or ride skateboards. andrew garfields peter parker is how any other person would look

#55 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

@ratman19 said:

i didnt like how they tried to supermodernize peter parker in ASM. he didnt look like a nerd to me.(skinny jeans,skateboard,contacts) that is not how i want peter parker to look like. i liked andrew garfields spiderman better because he added the humor and he looked more like a teenager in tights than toby and he had the web-shooters.

Why wouldn't they modernize it? Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker is what a nerd would look like today. I don't get it.

@ratman19 said:

@Vance Astro: the people who are considered nerds at my school dont where contacts,skinny jeans, or ride skateboards. andrew garfields peter parker is how any other person would look

From where I am, people wearing skinny jeans, skateboard and contacts are considered cool. hippie cool but still cool. Especially if we're talking about $400 skinny jeans and expensive $100 'hipster' T-shirt.

#56 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

Dude i am living in México and i am a nerd and go to comic book stores, all of us look more like Andrew Garfield that the guys from the Big bang Theory or Tobey MacGuire.

The problem is that hollywood example of nerd is still the nerd from the 80s.

#57 Posted by cenit (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The spiderman 2012 movie was not great. I walked out because I had to pee and never came back. Way to boring and predictable

#58 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing Spider-Man was a better film than the Tobey films.

#59 Posted by PunyParker (9394 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield......Tobey wasnt in the suit 90% of the scenes....only unmasked....Andrew was most of the scenes himself dressed as Spiderman

#60 Posted by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

Not even a question, Andrew Garfield wins. It does seem critics and the general public(Although my brother agreed Andrew Garfield was better) prefer Tobey, but to be honest I found the first two Spiderman movies kind of dull, didn't see the third one. Also the fact ASM was based more off USM(My favorite Spiderman stories ever)made it even better. I just couldn't buy Tobey as a High School Student, plus unrelated but the movie had Emma Stone in it who was epic as Gwen Stacy(God I hope they don't adapt the Death of Gwen Stacy till atleast the third movie).

#61 Posted by jobiwankenobi (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield, he is actually a teenager and Tobey just sucked.

#62 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

andy did a better job, so when a sequel comes out i want him as everybodys favorite web-slinger

#63 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8983 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Mcguire plays the best adult Spider man, and Andrew garfield plays the best High School spider man

#64 Posted by The Stegman (23750 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew without a doubt, Tobey was boring, humorless and just bland, Andrew actually made me laugh quite a bit in Amazing Spider-Man

#65 Posted by alezayas (13 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, can believe I haven't seen the Amazing Spider-man yet! :C

#66 Posted by PunyParker (9394 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey played one character....sad Peter.....Andrew played lots of characters....sad,happy,angry,funny,he had variety....and i think he will play a good adult Peter in the upcoming movies,he's a good actor!

#67 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@ratman19 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We watched 2 different films then

That was a nerdy/weird lookin/adorkable little mofo,

#68 Posted by Just_J79 (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

Tobey Mcguire plays the best adult Spider man, and Andrew garfield plays the best High School spider man

Ya know after the movie was over I was thinking the same exact thing. A lot of my friends agree with that too.

#69 Posted by HarryRaeSmith (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Not an insult to Andrew Garfield by any measure, he's a great up-and-coming actor. But Tobey caught the awkward quiet side well, along with the nerdiness. He may not have shown off his intelligence, but I myself was an underachiever! So I just found myself relating to him better. Also, no matter how hard I try, I'll never be as good looking as Andrew Garfield. So I'm in the minority here. :P

#70 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3145 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield. I have to give him a lot of credit. He takes the role very seriously. He wants to make sure its as good as it can be. Garfield is a great actor, and seems like a genuinely nice guy, based on what I've seen from the ASM2 set stuff.

#71 Edited by saiyan_earthling (5431 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield. He did Spider-Man justice.

#72 Posted by trebean (641 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was like a highschooler like 15 minutes in the film.

#73 Edited by w0nd (3208 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed andrew more, but some of the lovey dovey moments were too much to handle

#74 Posted by PaperDemon (606 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew Garfield sucked. Tobey is the real Spiderman.

#75 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7402 posts) - - Show Bio

Toby McGuire didn't convince me as Spidey. Even though I really like Spider-Man 2, and the first was OK. He just doesn't fit Spidey to me. Andrew Garfield is far better. Was he without flaws? No. But he was much better.

#76 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Toby more. Andrew Garfield as Peter was a loner and awkward, not even a nerd. His Spiderman was always running away and dodging not really fightwing. But he was funny. Toby was more of a nerd but as Spiderman not really talkative. He did do some jokes as Spiderman every now and then and those were funny. Garfield just did it more. And Toby Peter only whined in S3. Any other time he was silently taking the abuse. So people stop saying he whined a lot.

#77 Posted by laflux (14969 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey was a better Peter Parker

Andrew was a better Spider-Man

#78 Posted by AttitudeEraGuy (229 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG. I cannot believe so many people would vote for Andrew Garfield instead of the talented actor that is Tobey Mcguire.

I just cannot believe it. I mean like ASM all you want, but come on, Toeby Mcguire was the best Spider-man.

I guess you and I both happen to be of the very few people that share the same opinion.

#79 Edited by GeekBait (779 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Garfield but I'd probably say Maguire mainly for nostalgic reasons.

#80 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

toby seemed to old and garfield said he idolized spidey as a kid and truely loved the partwheremaguire seemed like he wanted to leave. he pulled of peters wit and spideyscharm and really had chemestry with emma

#81 Edited by ultimatepunchrod (88 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't hate McGuire, but Garfield is probably the better choice. The first 2 McGuire movies are a lot better than Amazing though.

#82 Edited by Spideysense44 (3348 posts) - - Show Bio

Garrfield by a longshot Toby was a littlee toooo nerdy

#83 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6355 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire was, and is, the best Spider-Man ever. Garfield is incomparable. Let's take a look at one of my fave scenes in the Raimi Spider-Man movies: Uncle Ben's death. When Maguire was portraying him, he truly looked completely emotionally devastated, and has this tortured look to him throughout the series about how his irresponsibility cost Uncle Ben his life. In the new version, Andrew Garfield shows an expression when his Uncle dies like his computer just crashed when he was wrapping up a huge essay. Hell, even when Tobey's Peter breaks up with MJ to protect her, it feels like he has really given up what little he has. When Garfield breaks up with her, even with Stone's great acting, I couldn't care less. Tobey wins by a landslide.

#84 Posted by NICK31898 (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, I grew up watching the first 3 with Tobey, so i'm ganna have to say Tobey.

#85 Posted by CrouchingTiger (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey McGuire as peter parker. It seemed like they gave Andrew Garfield style as peter parker. Peter parker was a nerd in high school, he didn't have perfectly wild hair, and I don't remember him donning a skateboard. Garfield was a better "spiderman" though.

#86 Posted by Bezza (3452 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to call, Garfield was the funnier spiderman, but his spiderman seemed a little on the weak side compared with Maguires, which is not his fault I know. Garfield's spidey was trashed by the Lizard, whereas Parker's spiderman gave a good account in all his battles, bar the encounter with Doc Oc where he got knocked out. Have just finished watching Amazing Spiderman actually and love the humour where Garfield goes scared at the guy with the "Small knife". You didn't get that from the Maguire spiderman. But to say Maguire was awful is stretching it. Thought he was great in the first Spiderman, but they just became way too weepy as they went on.

#87 Edited by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

But....but Garfield's a cat!

#88 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Andrew Garfield did a better performance than Maguire. He played Peter Parker well in all his moods, giving the character more dimensions and more emotions than Toby Maguire, his teenage angst, social awkwardness, misery, frustration and humour. He really brought the character to life on the silver screen better than Maguire did and I certainly felt more sympathetic and emotionally involved also.

#89 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

.....................best......................

#90 Posted by czechoslovakia (104 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey. Andrew Garfield had too much swagger

#91 Posted by 14NC3 (1748 posts) - - Show Bio

this. And i liked the raimi movies better but ASM was decent

#92 Posted by lilben42 (2526 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield didn't feel like a nerd. He felt like an awkward skateboarder. I'm in school and I don't know any nerds who act like him.

#93 Posted by young_beamer (127 posts) - - Show Bio

hard to say, tobey's script sucked and there wasnt the real chemistry between the cast. andrew has an awesome script and all character interaction is just amazing. but tobey did a great job at portraying the "my life sucks and a i feel sorry for myself" feeling. but i have to say andrew, he brings the character to life.

#94 Edited by kingmark14 (768 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I kind of like both of them. For one, Andrew truly brings out his inner nerd for for the role, which spider man fans desire. Tobey also played a good peter parker.He also brought out his nerdiness, though not as much as Andrew did. He didn't seem as scientifically motivated.But really I love em both,but my mom doesn't like Andrew. It really would have been interesting if tobey stayed on for spider man 4. Would have been cool if they had put carnage in it (that's what a fake spider man 4 trailer led me to believe). Also for future spider man films, I think they should give peter his stingers that he got in The Other

#95 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17773 posts) - - Show Bio

Andrew. No Contest.

#96 Posted by Ryagan (673 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey Maguire. Andrew Garfield did a good job with what he was given, but his character was written very, very poorly. Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man was kind, cocky, douchey, geeky, cool, shy, and neglectful all at once. Tobey's character was more consistent overall, and he's a much better actor than people give him credit for. Comparing him to Nicholas Cage is just insulting. Spider-Man 2 is the sole reason I will always defend Tobey Maguire as a good actor. One thing that really annoys me is that it's now popular to bash the Raimi films just because TASM came out. A lot of the people among the TASM fanbase are some of the most annoying fanboys I've ever encountered, but that's a topic for another day. And that has nothing to do with my feelings regarding any of the Spider-Man movies.

#97 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

Maguire made me want to punch heathens. Garfield made me want to buy Mrs. Buttersworth and talk about how delicious her innards are.

#98 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16247 posts) - - Show Bio
#99 Edited by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

Garfield no competition.

#100 Posted by RustyRoy (11858 posts) - - Show Bio

Tobey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.