Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Who is Spider-Man's Definitive Girlfriend?

• 157 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
        Getting married in costume is always a little tacky.
     Getting married in costume is always a little tacky.

The hottest button to push in fandom these days is the subject of Spidey and Mary Jane’s relationship following ONE MORE DAY. G-Man and I were talking about this recently and I'll admit that it does feel kind of weird to see Peter making out with that Carlie girl or pining after Ms. Marvel because he's been married to MJ for about as long as I’ve been alive.  

But I realize that Spidey's been around for a lot longer that.  

Wrapping my head, as a fan, around the recent announcements that Emma Stone's going to be playing Gwen Stacy in the reboot movie, and  that she'll be the only love interest there, got me to step back and look at the situation a little more holistically. Spidey got married in ’87, a full 25 years after he'd been defined as an in-over-his-head bachelor with girl problems. Doing the math, that means he's still only been a married man for less than half of his existence in print. 

When you’ve got decades and decades worth of continuous plotting, a lot of questions about what defines a character depend on when you look at him. For instance, a lot of you might say that Batman never-ever kills. How, then, do you reconcile his first appearances where he’s snapping crooks’ necks or dropping goons off buildings? Maybe those aren't consistent with later characterizations, but that's how Bob Kane envisioned the character. Who or what is the better authority on Batman? The creator? Or the majority of his appearances? == TEASER ==
        Dark knight. Caped crusader. Lady killer?
     Dark knight. Caped crusader. Lady killer?

Getting back to girls, I figure Spidey's somewhere between Superman and Batman when it comes to his M.O. Supes has been with Lois Lane, in one way or another, since day one; since ACTION COMICS #1. But Batman… he’s almost like Bond. You notice how he's got  a different love interest in every movie? If fans wanted a definitive Batman story, they'd say that the Joker would have been to be the villain and the supporting cast would have to feature Alfred, Commissioner Gordon and the like, but there would be some disagreement about who Bruce should get puppy-eyed over. Would it be Julie Madison?  Maybe Catwoman, instead? Vicki Vale? Talia al Ghul? Silver St. Cloud? What about the movie-only flames like Rachel Dawes, Chase Meridian or the Phantasm?  

The answer depends on when you read or watched Batman. 

Spidey, similarly, was juggling girls long before these latest ASM arcs: MJ, Gwen, Black Cat, a couple girls he dated briefly in college and, if you go all the way back to the start... Betty Brant, who was Peter's girlfriend in the earliest days of the comic. I wonder if fans at the time might have been as peeved when she and Peter broke up, only for him to basically go to Gwen immediately. It's hard to tell, for sure - - there weren't message boards back then.
       Where's the petition to  get these two back together?
    Where's the petition to  get these two back together?

Maybe it’s just because Elizabeth Banks is hot, or maybe it’s because UNTOLD TALES made an impression me, but I’ve always been intrigued by the notion of her and Peter being a couple. Simply in story terms,  a teen superhero dating the older secretary of his boss just seems juicier than the classic Archie dilemma of deciding between with his class' good girl or bad girl. I don’t have the original issues, so I don’t know how much of an age difference there was supposed to be between them. She could’ve been 18 or 19 and working at the Bugle instead of going to college. Or maybe it was just the 60s and it just wasn’t considered as weird for a high schooler to be dating a post-grad young adult.

Anyway, my point with all this is that a lot of radical plot developments seem different when looked at in the context of a character's grand scheme. It's sort-of similar to to editorial G-Man did recently about mysteries in comics. Think about Wolverine. Him getting his adamantium ripped out in FATAL ATTRACTIONS was hugely controversial and we got seven years of "bone claws" before the metal got put back in him in THE TWELVE. That felt like a long stretch, at the time, but it seems pretty insignificant, now, when you consider the totality of the character. 

So, maybe this Spidey/MJ break-up will last. Maybe they'll get back together eventually. Or maybe it'll go on for so long that fans will start looking at the time they were married in the same way that they probably look at the time Wolvie was adamantium-less - - an unusual blip on the schedule. 
    countvontrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By countvontrey

I have also always like the idea of Pete and Betty together. But I'm ok with Pete being with new characters. 

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Martian

Spider-man's definitive girlfriend is Mary Jane, PERIOD.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By batman_is_god

Mary Jane. Do you have to ask?
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

The definitive girlfriend is Mary Jane. I remember when he asked her to marry him. I'm not saying she has to be his girlfriend forever just that when you think of Spidey girlfriends she jumps to the top of the list. Gwen Stacy is a close second.

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I will give Charlie and Peter a shot, but I'm more used to seeing MJ and Peter together while Black Cat flirts with him (or during BND having benefits) . Because of recent series like Spectacular Spider-man and Ultimate Spider-man, I like seeing Peter being with Gwen and Kitty Pryde as well.

suuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suuperman

I kinda wish they made a bigger deal about Felicia, aka The Black Cat. I found that relationship way more interesting then him and Mary Jane.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By robokungfu

Black Cat.  The best damn woman in Pete's life.

Avatar image for amazingspidermike
    AmazingSpiderMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By AmazingSpiderMike

Look, I have been a hardcore Spider-man fan for as long as I can remember. When it comes to relationships Peter Parker will always be associated with Mary Jane. Every other girl that comes into his life will be just another flavor of the month. C'mon, name any other girlfriend with their own catch phrase? 

No Caption Provided
                                                                   CASE CLOSED!!!!!
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @mr.obvious said:
    "

"

I can't help but find that ...debatable. Mary Jane is the one that's been given the most time, the one most posters are exposed to, no doubt there. But Gwen Stacy has to take the role of top notch to Pete. There's no doubt in my mind that had she lived, Peter and Mary Jane would have never come to be more than friends.Quality over quantity. Gwen had more of an impact on Peter, in life and death, then Mary Jane ever has...which speaks volumes.

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By CaptainUseless

1:) Mary Jane.  
    2:) Gwen Stacy.

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NXH
    @AmazingSpiderMike:
    Giggidty!
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @mr.obvious said:
    "

"

This.
    leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By leokearon

MJ is Pete's definitive girlfirend 

Unless you ask Marvel who seem to think it's Gwen Stacy 

or Jilly Stacy if you ask Howard Mackie
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By DMC
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15  Edited By sora_thekey

Sorry but no...
    As much as I love MJ as Pete's wife and girlfriend, Gwen Stacy is Peter's definitive girlfriend!

Although Betty was his first girlfriend Gwen was his first love. Take into consideration that ever since Gwen's death she has been mentioned various times over and over again. She has been the reason for a lot of fights between MJ and Pete because nobody seems to be able to compete with Gwen!

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By queenfrost_

I want it to be Black Cat, but I guess MJ's his real arm candy and she's known by way more people who don't read comics than Gwen.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
    halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By halfpastwhenever

MJ has to be the one, which is what makes Brand New Day such a pain in the a$$ - if it ain't broke don't fix it!

mickoreo_LZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mickoreo_LZ

MJ will be viewed as the quintessential Spider-Man girlfriend for a long time as far as I'm concerned. She was Peter's main love interest in the SMAS as well as the movies and because of that people will remember her as Peter's one and only, regardless of what goes on in the comics

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DMC
    @sora_thekey said:
    " Take into consideration that ever since Gwen's death she has been mentioned various times over and over again. She has been the reason for a lot of fights between MJ and Pete because nobody seems to be able to compete with Gwen! "
    The death of a friend/loved one will always have an impact long after the fact. You could say the same thing about Uncle Ben could you not?
    Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#20  Edited By Aspenite

I just don´t want Carlie to be his girlfriend!

Demas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demas

It comes down to duration.

For every flirt or fling Peter's had, you could put down a year spent in marriage with MJ.  She appeared only three years into his run and has been there ever since.  That duration represents something much more similar to Lois than Bruce's parade of lovers... and Gwen is naught else but Peter's Lana Lang.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sora_thekey
    @DMC said:
    " @sora_thekey said:
    " Take into consideration that ever since Gwen's death she has been mentioned various times over and over again. She has been the reason for a lot of fights between MJ and Pete because nobody seems to be able to compete with Gwen! "
    The death of a friend/loved one will always have an impact long after the fact. You could say the same thing about Uncle Ben could you not? "
    Exactly... in other words; the impact that Gwen has left on Peter is far greater than any other girlfriend he's ever had.
    Woodclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Woodclaw

No Caption Provided

Considering that this panel is from before the marriage etc. I think that sums up why MJ should stay.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself

rubbish!!!!   anyone who says Mary Jane should read Spider-man: Blue and then see if you don't think that Gwen Stacy is the definitive Spider-man girlfriend

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blackkitty

Please, who else has placed her life on the line time and again to protect Peter, my vote is Black Cat. Although, kinda curious. Since Felicia really became a sane person after dating spiderman and learning his secret identity, now that she apparently never knew it wouldn't that entire event have kinda reconned her sanity? and if she just forgot who he was...seems like she's remember she once knew this. Well, so much for logic.
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mbecks14

Its easy to say Mary Jane. But i really like Peter/Gwen

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Bestostero

Felecia needs more recognition!  She's the only girl that can be with him on and off the field, plus she's way better than the other two scrubs lol

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By roadbuster
    @danhimself said:
    " rubbish!!!!   anyone who says Mary Jane should read Spider-man: Blue and then see if you don't think that Gwen Stacy is the definitive Spider-man girlfriend "
    I read and enjoyed Blue, but I think it illustrates love lost.  Gwen's the definitive ex-girlfriend, the girl of your past not of your dreams.  All the romanticization of the relationship only works looking backwards tinted (ahem, Blue) by nostalgia.
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By karrob
    @mr.obvious said:
    "

"
    tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tigerex78

It is mary jane.  Who has been with him through more? 

waruikumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By waruikumo

Gwen 

I wasn't alive to be there for the actual story lines.  But losing gwen has had more impact of SM than any other single event besides the death of uncle ben.   

That said im glad they got rid of MJ, I dont know why.  But then again the ASM franchise is a bloody jumbled mess that needs a crisis of its own to fix.  

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cmaprice

I view MJ as his definitive girlfriend, but part of that has been ruined by the film franchise. MJ in Raimi's films was horribly miswritten and miscast. Glad to see the reboot will be separating itself from the prior trilogy even more by giving Spidey a different girl from his history. I'd still like an accurate MJ in the new films, though. I dig the way she was portrayed in The Spectacular Spider-Man show.

PS. I'm really not a purist. I just find Kirsten Dunst's portrayal to be flat and uninspiring. It's not entirely her fault, though; the script had no oomph for her. But regardless, it's made me a bit tired of seeing the two together on screen.

IIDEADxPOOLII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By IIDEADxPOOLII

I think his right girlfriend was Gwen Stacy to bad she died though
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DMC
    @sora_thekey said:

" @DMC said:

" @sora_thekey said:

The death of a friend/loved one will always have an impact long after the fact. You could say the same thing about Uncle Ben could you not? "
    Exactly... in other words; the impact that Gwen has left on Peter is far greater than any other girlfriend he's ever had. "
    Because she died? 
    No disrespect to Gwen but that seems like an unfair advantage. I would think MJ would have a greater overall impact on Peters life than Gwen did but I can't say for sure I don't know much about their relationship besides being his first love. 
    Sure Peter will never forget his first love and her death serves as a reminder of what could happen when those he loves become a casualty of his super-hero life but when Peter needs help, a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to and who responds in kind (etc, etc), visiting Gwen's grave isn't gonna do much IMHO. Sorry.

Not that this should be a factor but did Gwen ever know his secret at some point?
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MysterioMaximus
    @Mainline said:

" @danhimself said:

" rubbish!!!!   anyone who says Mary Jane should read Spider-man: Blue and then see if you don't think that Gwen Stacy is the definitive Spider-man girlfriend "

I read and enjoyed Blue, but I think it illustrates love lost.  Gwen's the definitive ex-girlfriend, the girl of your past not of your dreams.  "
    I think there's a great sweeping difference between ex as in broken up and ex as in murdered...life goes on either way, but one is a choice to end. Peter nor Gwen made that choice, instead they were prematurely forced apart making the question, "Would Peter be with Mary Jane had Gwen lived?" and as an old school Spider-Man fan, apparently unlike a lot of you, I'd say it's a very blatant no. Mary Jane BECAME the definitive love-interest, it wasn't always so.

@Demas

said:

" It comes down to duration.  For every flirt or fling Peter's had, you could put down a year spent in marriage with MJ.  She appeared only three years into his run and has been there ever since.  That duration represents something much more similar to Lois than Bruce's parade of lovers... and Gwen is naught else but Peter's Lana Lang. "

...which isn't exactly 100% accurate. Gwen technically appeared first, not to mention Mary Jane may have appeared that early on...but she wasn't a legitimate love interest until much later on, specifically post-Gwen's death. Nor was Mary Jane's time with Peter taken away via murder. Plus...spent more time with doesn't necessarily mean better quality either.
    the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the_fallen11

Gwen is the definitive Girlfriend, she was his first love. during House of M everybody got what they wanted in life, Peter and Gwen were married and they had a child, thats what Peter wants; to. be. with. Gwen.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sora_thekey
    @DMC: I understand that... MJ does then seem to serve that proper outlet for talking and emotions. Especially now since she's the only one who knows his secret. Yet the impact left by Gwen leaves her as the definitive gf... just not the ideal!

...and now, she never knew Peter is Spider-Man only George Stacy found (her dad) out
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By roadbuster
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    " @Mainline said: 
    I read and enjoyed Blue, but I think it illustrates love lost.  Gwen's the definitive ex-girlfriend, the girl of your past not of your dreams.  "
    I think there's a great sweeping difference between ex as in broken up and ex as in murdered...life goes on either way, but one is a choice to end. 
     Which is why it makes no difference.  At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you were dumped, divorced, dead, or distant... a girlfriend is a relationship and separation terminates the relationship.  Y'all are exalting a non-existent ideal.  That's why she isn't the definitive girlfriend, she's the one who got away.

@the_fallen11 said:
    " Gwen is the definitive Girlfriend, she was his first love. during House of M everybody got what they wanted in life, Peter and Gwen were married and they had a child, thats what Peter wants; to. be. with. Gwen. "
    And Magneto ruled the world, that wasn't reality that was a fantasy... if a man dreams of being with a playmate does it make her his definitive girlfriend?  Hardly!  Peter's reality is what defines his relationships (part of why it has to be rewritten to undo them). 

An existential desire for someone real, imagined, accessible, or not does not constitute a relationship anymore than ogling pinups does... it might be sweet sentimental nostalgia porn, but given her death and non-existence it's still porn and not an actual relationship.
    -Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By -Vigil-

Betty was only a couple years older than Peter, I always figured her to be 18.  

Anyway, MJ is totally Peter's definitive love interest, it would be weird for him to get serious with someone else nowadays. But recently I've realized that Mary Jane's not really a good match for him. Maybe he'd be better off with someone nerdier, a bit more like him.

DannoMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DannoMan

I have always loved Gwen Stacy and her death was the perfect tragedy. It sucks, but the best way to develop a character is to kill that which he loves most and see how he reacts.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GREGalicious

Id have to say Mary Jane. Shes been with Peter for a lifetime (mine at least). Gwen was DEAD long before i even knew of her and Black Cat may be a little too much for Pete to handle...

-Vigil-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By -Vigil-
    @danhimself said:
    I have read it. (Great stuff!) I've also read every issue of Amazing Spider-Man (as well as "Spectacular Spider-Man", "Spider-Man", "Web of Spider-Man", etc.) starting with Amazing Fantasy #15 and going all the way through Brand New Day. I still don't think Gwen (as great as she is!) is the definitive - or the best - girlfriend for Spidey.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Thunderscream

Didn't Gwen have babies with Osborn?

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @tigerex78 said:
    " It is mary jane.  Who has been with him through more?  "
    @karrob said:
    " @mr.obvious said:
    "

"
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great power and responsibility are actually Spider-Mans ever demanding and wanty soul mistress.
    He can never be there fully in physical nor emotion for anyone, which is why theres rocks and gaps
    in his relationships bringing up the question in the first place.

Avatar image for violet_eyed_dragon
    Violet-Eyed Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it was a mistake undoing the mj-peter marriage.  THAT SAID, i think now that its done it would be cool for him to be dating and eventually marrying someone else.  i think the sad thing is that while people have accepted the new villains, characterizations, and story arcs of brand new day, they havent been terribly welcoming to the new girls.  Norah, Carlie, and that Gonzalez girl are really interesting characters, and id love to see them catch on and him marry them.  i think its unfair that people expect him to be with mj even though thats been undone. 
    of course what i really hope they do is go back to something like how the clone saga originally ended.  i really liked that and i think retconning it was marvel's worst mistake.  of course they did it because it meant one generation of readers would learn they werent following the character they meant to, but that generation has had years more reading and it wouldnt be as big a deal if they went back to that original story line and retconn away the later half of the clone saga. 

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By They Killed Cap!

Mary Jane close second gwen stacy.
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bingbangboom

I bought the whole reboot of spider-man and MJ thing. It is done, maybe his best girlfriend/wife but it is in the past and there is potential with Peter and Charlie which I think is pretty cute. Do I think this will be it for him? Nope. Thing is we havn't had a real single Spider-Man to play the field with super powered women. In the end of it all, MJ knew that she and her family would always be in harms way because of their relationship and was something she couldn't deal with. Can She-Hulk? Ms. Marvel? Spider-Woman? Yes they can and more. I actually enjoyed the flirty nature of Peter and Ms. Marvel. If they ended it with Charlie, I think it would be an interesting notion considering in the Marvel Universe, Spider-Man is almost considered a joke and lower leveled hero at times. Ms. Marvel is put on a pedestal and wants to be the best. I could imagine one night they both end up married in Vegas and have to deal with it all.

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#49  Edited By Dark Cell

Spiderman's definitive girlfriend is   Black Cat, Duh

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50  Edited By Meteorite

The Betty Brant/ Peter Parker relationship wasn't bad in the 60's, but I don't think there was that much of an age difference between them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.