Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Who is currently Spider-Man's arch nemesis?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renamed040924

Back in the old days, like the Stan Lee days all through the Silver Age, Spider-Man's arch enemy and most formidable foe was generally considered to be Doctor Octopus. He humiliated Spider-Man in their first encounter and remained a challenging threat, and has had strong impacts on Peter's personal life, being responsible for the murders of Betty Brant's brother, and Gwen Stacy's father, likely among many others, not to mention his whole thing with nearly marrying Aunt May.

...And then Green Goblin came along and killed Gwen Stacy. Instantly, he was bolstered up the enemy numero uno, and since his revival he has remained a prominent thorn in Peter Parker's side, ranging from masterminding the Clone Saga, to kidnapping Aunt May and burying her alive. I also believe there was some bit where he bought the Daily Bugle and tried to destroy it. Norman was boosted even further on the villains food chain during all the Dark Reign junk, although that arguably separated him from Peter Parker somewhat and made him a villain to the larger Marvel Universe.

But what with Doc Ock recently stealing Peter's body, I got to thinking, has he reclaimed his position as Spider-Man's arch nemesis? Given all their history, all their abilities and the way they challenge Spider-Man, and the effects they've had on Peter Parker's life, who do you think is currently the arch nemesis of Spider-Man?

And this isn't just exclusive to the 616 mainstream continuity, this is discussing Spider-Man in general. No matter who you ask or when you ask, Lex Luther is always Superman's arch nemesis. Same with Batman and Joker. These rivalries carry over from continuity to continuity, and interpretation to interoperation. For example, it is Lex Luther's status in the classic Superman films that solidifies him as the arch foe in the mind of the general populace. So how do the Spider-Man games, films, and animated material effect this question?

And of course we can't have this conversation without mentioning Venom, or more specifically Eddie Brock, although I feel like he is doomed to never surpassing third place, on account of the fact that he hasn't been a villain in awhile. As for Gargan Venom... he was so incompetent, he only brought Venom down a few pegs if you ask me. Still, nobody can deny how insanely insane super mega awesome Venom was back during his conception and early stories, so he deserves some discussion. He's also been treated relatively well in the material outside the comics; many would argue Venom was the best part of both the 90s Spider-Man TAS, as well as the Spectacular Spider-Man. He was awesome in the old PS1 game, and has been treated with much respect in other games like Web of Shadows where he was the main antagonist. "The black Spider-Man" as the mainstream population refers to him is often the first Spider-Man villain that people think of, so perhaps, due to his prominence in material outside the comics, Venom actually IS still considered his arch enemy?

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Honestly most of Spider-Man's most major villains have dissapeared from his rogues gallery in some way so I can't say for sure

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morlun

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel Editorial and Dan Slott

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By amazingfantasy

Currently, Norman or Ock. I'd say Norman is slightly ahead.
    I guess that, in general, the answer would be the same

You have some good points about Venom there. I myself thought Venom was his arch-enemy when I was younger, before reading comics and all that.

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By amazingfantasy

@oldwasher said:

Honestly most of Spider-Man's most major villains have dissapeared from his rogues gallery in some way so I can't say for sure

Yeah, and his supporting cast as well. Freakin marvel, dude...

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By The_Waffle

@zarius said:

Beat me to it.

I'd also say Osborn, the things he's done to Peter, if that doesn't make him your arch enemy I don't what will. It doesn't get more bitter/personal then that.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is hard to say as the new volume just started. but I assume it will be Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Currently, Norman or Ock. I'd say Norman is slightly ahead.

I guess that, in general, the answer would be the same

You have some good points about Venom there. I myself thought Venom was his arch-enemy when I was younger, before reading comics and all that.

Well said, I agree.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: Lol hahaha so very true my friend.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think currently in the comics its dock ock. Venom is currently not evil and is a space knight now, and Norman has kind of become a marvel universe villain in recent years with the whole dark reign stuff. Yea Peter did have a fight with him at the end of superior spider-man and he's making a come back I guess but I am not even 100% sure it was/is him. In general though (like outside of comics) I think most people either think of it as venom (Eddie Brock) or Green goblin. Personally before I got into comics I thought it was venom.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

^^^^^ 100% TRUE ^^^^^

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

Beat me to it.

I'd also say Osborn, the things he's done to Peter, if that doesn't make him your arch enemy I don't what will. It doesn't get more bitter/personal than that.

^^^^^ This too. I would also rate the Kingpin a close contender.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@magnetic_eye: Kingpin is a great choice now that you mention it.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Octopus. Norman Osborn's major claim to fame was killing Gwen Stacy, and he hasn't done much personal stuff. If anything, he's basically Spider-Man's Ra's al Ghul now, except crappier. Venom never really qualified - before Spider-Man 3, barely anyone in the general populace had heard of him, and afterwards they still refer to him as "the black Spider-Man", knowing next to nothing about the character. Octavius, on the other hand, has done more to personally affect Peter than anyone else.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Side-B Bench-warmers

The Hobgoblin (Roderick Kingsley) might make a come-back for under-appreciated dark-horse villains such as The Lizard and Kingpin.

However, everything points to Doctor Octopus (and his arms) and Green Goblin as the serious competition finalists.

The Hobgoblin is a complementary irritation force in the track of the Green Goblin, but colorings offer much inspiration to the daily-doodler of comics (i.e., Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Underdog, etc.).

No Caption Provided

visemoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Classic Black Tarantula would make a awesome Arch Enemy...man, I miss that guy. What a Beast

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joe Quesada!!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@orangebat: he crippled Flash Thompson, killed Ben Reilly, made MJ miscarry among other things

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: he crippled Flash Thompson, killed Ben Reilly, made MJ miscarry among other things

Norman is the one who crippled Flash? I didn't even know that, damn. We should make a list of everything Norman has done to Peter on a personal level lol

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@nickzambuto: YEAH. Norman left Flash in a coma pre OMD so "crippled" was the wrong word to use but the way he did things was super messed up

toxin45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

@orangebat: until superior spider man where he became an ti hero after the events so he kinda lost it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.