Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17240 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Which Spider-man graphic novel should I buy?

ThePartridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThePartridge

I'm just starting to get into comics and would like to buy a spider-man graphic novel however I'm not sure which I should buy -

Either 'Amazing Spider-man Ultimate Collection Book 1', 'Amazing Spider-man: Spider Island' or 'Marvel Platinum: Definitive Spider-man'?

Spider Island sounds a really interesting story however I'm not sure if I should start from the start of Amazing Spider-man, or read the so called best stories in Definitive Spider-man?

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Superguy0009e

Ultimate Collection Book would be your best bet.

ThePartridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ThePartridge

@Superguy0009e said:

Ultimate Collection Book would be your best bet.

I was just checking the prices and it seems like the cheapest I can get that is around £20, whereas I can get Spider Island at about £12...

Do I need any background knowledge for Spider Island? (I obviously know the origins and have a basic knowledge of the character)

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@ThePartridge: You can follow Spider Island with no extra knowledge, however to truly enjoy it I recommend reading Big Time and Matters of Life and Death first. All of Slott's run has been great

ThePartridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThePartridge

@r3d_rob1nsaid:

@ThePartridge: You can follow Spider Island with no extra knowledge, however to truly enjoy it I recommend reading Big Time and Matters of Life and Death first. All of Slott's run has been great

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with 'Spider Island' as it seems to have lots of appearances of other characters, and as I'm new to it all I would like to see them all in action. I might read Matters of Life and Death afterwards - it doesn't have to be read chronologically right?

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@ThePartridge: Things happen to Spidey in "Life and Death" that affect him in Spider-Island. You should have no trouble following the plot though, and you can always get filled in on the wiki here if you have questions

Replicant0658

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Replicant0658

At some point I would give the first volume of Ultimate Spider-man a go, it's a really great series and probably the definitive Spider-man book in my eyes!

ThePartridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePartridge

Thanks for the advice guys, received Spider Island today and read it all in one day, it was great :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.