Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Which Spider-Man game should I get?

• 58 results
    JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By JakeN7

I'm having trouble deciding which Spider-Man game I should get.

1. Web of Shadows
    2. Shattered Dimensions
    3. Edge of Time

These are the ones I'm deciding between. I heard Edge of Time was abysmal but I would still like to know what you guys think. They're all around the same price so I'm really just looking for the best one. I liked Spider-Man 3(Xbox 360) and loved Ultimate Spider-Man(PS2) if that helps.

On a related note, is The Amazing Spider-Man game that was based off of last summer's reboot any good? They don't have Andrew Garfield doing the voice-over do they? I think that would be weird.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By PunyParker

Shattered Dimensions

Edge of Time = Closed environment level based games.....Yeah SD has 4 Spider-Men and Edge of time is a good game with Peter and Spiderman 2099,but...no NYC to swing....so...my advice to you is,buy Web of Shadows....Open world comicbook based story(good) .....very good game!

P.S. Amazing Spiderman was a mediocre game....imo...not so good,not so bad

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JonSmith

Definitely Web of Shadows. NOT FOR THE PS2. Get it for the Xbox 360/PS3, or not at all. It's got a really cool storyline, with some decent moral choices. You can actually fight like Spider-man with his new web moves, and you get twice the replay value with Spidey's black suit. Four possible endings, a ton of guest characters, and of the list, this is the only open world Spidey game, aside from Amazing. A few carry ons though, if you just use the Web Grapple all the time, it's going to get repetitive. Make sure you hop down now and then, and fight guys with your bare hands. Also, Spidey can fight on ALL surfaces. That includes walls. Use that. Also, the voice of Spidey is jarring at first, especially in the first few cutscenes when he's freaking out. Give it a few missions and you'll acclimate.

Finally, DON'T COLLECT ALL THE SPIDER UPGRADES! They increase Spidey's jump height and swing speed. This is awesome, but once you collect a certain amount, you begin swinging so fast that Spidey will freeze in midair as it loads the city you're swinging into, at which point, you'll go into a nosedive.

Now as for Amazing Spider-Man: This was a decent game. Didn't like it as much as Web of Shadows, but it was decent. Basically follows the same storyline: Fight bad guys, outbreak, fight mutated bad guys, etc. The difference in this one is the Web Rush. With this, Spidey can fly. No, I'm not exaggerating. It's designed so that at any point, you can tap a button, and Spidey will automatically go towards the location you're looking at. I mainly used it for flying. By aiming at the top of radio towers, and remaining high above the city, where there's no buildings to attach a web to, Spidey can essentially web rush from building to building, with nothing to attach to and never hitting the ground.

The voice for Spidey in this one is a LOT better than Andrew Garfield and the one in Web of Shadows. This guy sounds like Spidey. While the story and gameplay's only decent, there are some interesting story beats and the combat, rip off as it is of Arkham City, can still be entertaining. But beware: This game spoils all of the Amazing Spider-man movie in the first three missions. Everything important that happens in that movie is laid out and rubbed in your face from the word go. So keep that in mind if you choose to get this.

Of the two, I'd definitely recommend Web of Shadows. Edge of Time and Shattered Dimensions are only barely worth a rental, rather than a purchase.

CountMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CountMario

Ew, not Web of Shadows. Free Roam is fun and great, but it's overrated and not the sole thing that makes a Spidey game be good. And I found the story and dialogue to be meh most of the time (WHERE'S LUKE'S SEARCH PRTEH? MJ, MJ!!!!!!!) and most of the combos/upgrades were virtually useless. I mean, it has it's moments and it's bearable, but in no way the superior (No pun intended) game in my eyes. And between Edge of Time and Shattered Dimensions, I'd go for the latter gameplay-wise or the former story-wise, it depends on which aspect you would prefer. Although to be honest, I think Shattered Dimensions was a better game although I felt Edge of Time was almost as great and underrated as well.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By Strider1992

Honestly if you put aside the horrible voice acting Web Of Shadows is one of the best Spider-man games. I'd get that but just mute the conversations lol but get it for X-box 360, PC or Ps3 DON'T get the Ps2 version.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @JakeN7: Amazing Spider-Man is better than all the games you listed 
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Strider92 said:

Honestly if you put aside the horrible voice acting Web Of Shadows is one of the best Spider-man games. I'd get that but just mute the conversations lol but get it for X-box 360, PC or Ps3 DON'T get the Ps2 version.

This is a HUGE issue though. Every time Peter talks you'll cringe, and this is Spider-Man after all, so he talks A LOT. 

Shattered Dimensions is good fun, but I found myself only playing it through the once, lack of replay value. Web of Shadows has much more replay/random swinging value, but it is painful to listen to.  

THAT SAID, being evil Spidey is fun as Hell. 
    Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Strider1992

@FadeToBlackBolt: Exactly why I play it mute with sub-titles or music playing over it!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Strider92: The one thing that puts SD over WoS is that, unlike WoS, SD doesn't feel like a missed opportunity. It's a quirky superhero action game. It's fun, and it accomplishes what it set out to do.  

Web of Shadows was a huge missed chance at the best Spidey game ever. Rather than making Pete's "dark" decisions sympathetic and in character (though obviously he's affected by the Symbiote), it was just "hurt the opponent more". What would have made WoS perfect is a bigger immersion in Pete's world. The good route; stop a robbery. The bad/selfish route; Pete goes on a date with MJ. Choices that made sense in terms of who Pete is, you know? Instead, it was just LOTS OF FIGHTING against Symbiotes, boss battle, and MORE FIGHTING.
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By TDK_1997

Web of Shadows is the best for from these.I enjoyed it a lot.

Dalwih

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dalwih

I enjoyed Shattered Dimensions very much, but after I finished the game I found myself only replaying the Juggernaught/Carnage battles. I'd say Amazing Spider-Man because the combat system in that game is...well...AMAZING

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#13  Edited By tomlikesfries

Web of Shadows. It is the best Spider-Man game I ever played.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By theTimeStreamer

get spider-man 2 for ps2. THE BEST SPIDER-MAN GAME EVER!! it even has shocker!!!!

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By theTimeStreamer

@TheAcidSkull: better than the crap that was spider-man 3, amazing spider-man and all the others. you get to fight mysterio at lady liberty with an alien invasion theme to it!!!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Lvenger

@TheAcidSkull said:

@theTimeStreamer said:

get spider-man 2 for ps2. THE BEST SPIDER-MAN GAME EVER!! it even has shocker!!!!

spider-man 2 was horrible, and i am sad people don't see that because they liked to SWING AROUND!

I loved Spider-Man 2! Still the best Spider-Man game by miles IMO.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@TDK_1997 said:

yeah me too, I had no life when it came out.

CountMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CountMario

@TheAcidSkull said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Strider92: The one thing that puts SD over WoS is that, unlike WoS, SD doesn't feel like a missed opportunity. It's a quirky superhero action game. It's fun, and it accomplishes what it set out to do. Web of Shadows was a huge missed chance at the best Spidey game ever. Rather than making Pete's "dark" decisions sympathetic and in character (though obviously he's affected by the Symbiote), it was just "hurt the opponent more". What would have made WoS perfect is a bigger immersion in Pete's world. The good route; stop a robbery. The bad/selfish route; Pete goes on a date with MJ. Choices that made sense in terms of who Pete is, you know? Instead, it was just LOTS OF FIGHTING against Symbiotes, boss battle, and MORE FIGHTING.

also spider-man in SD was in character, all four of them, even the noir one.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I mean, in no way is it a bad game, i definitely had fun and I could give it more credit than i stated earlier. But I just felt much more immersed into Shattered Dimensions and even Edge of Time. That's just me, personally. Although what I want to see is a free-roam Spidey 2099 game. Now that would blow all of these choices out of the water if done correctly.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PunyParker

@DarkKnightDetective said:

@TDK_1997 said:

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#21  Edited By TDK_1997

@TDK_1997 said:

I have played it like 3 or 4 times and completed it.

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@PunyParker: That until Arkham Asylum came out.

Also, Spider-man's right eye is freaking me out.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PunyParker

@PunyParker: That until Arkham Asylum came out.

Also, Spider-man's right eye is freaking me out.

Arkham Asylum....WHAT a game,dude....

also....generally,or in a particullar pic?....(about the eye)

Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@PunyParker: In that pic that you posted, it is freaky as hell

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JonSmith

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PunyParker

@PunyParker: In that pic that you posted, it is freaky as hell

Oh...yeah,its like his skull is blahkjklsdjlj ew.....

mariioow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mariioow

I would say that if you prefer a more freelance game go with WoS, but if you want something more related to a storyline go with SD but the last one is a game for just one walk through. (And Edge of Time is pretty much like SD just without Ultimate and Noir)

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Strider92 said:

I'd have to recommend it as well. Open world, the best combat system out of the three, and despite the poor voice acting, it also has the best story. Although, Amazing Spider-Man wasn't bad at all either.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JakeN7

@JonSmith said:

Definitely Web of Shadows. NOT FOR THE PS2. Get it for the Xbox 360/PS3, or not at all. It's got a really cool storyline, with some decent moral choices. You can actually fight like Spider-man with his new web moves, and you get twice the replay value with Spidey's black suit. Four possible endings, a ton of guest characters, and of the list, this is the only open world Spidey game, aside from Amazing. A few carry ons though, if you just use the Web Grapple all the time, it's going to get repetitive. Make sure you hop down now and then, and fight guys with your bare hands. Also, Spidey can fight on ALL surfaces. That includes walls. Use that. Also, the voice of Spidey is jarring at first, especially in the first few cutscenes when he's freaking out. Give it a few missions and you'll acclimate.

Finally, DON'T COLLECT ALL THE SPIDER UPGRADES! They increase Spidey's jump height and swing speed. This is awesome, but once you collect a certain amount, you begin swinging so fast that Spidey will freeze in midair as it loads the city you're swinging into, at which point, you'll go into a nosedive.

Now as for Amazing Spider-Man: This was a decent game. Didn't like it as much as Web of Shadows, but it was decent. Basically follows the same storyline: Fight bad guys, outbreak, fight mutated bad guys, etc. The difference in this one is the Web Rush. With this, Spidey can fly. No, I'm not exaggerating. It's designed so that at any point, you can tap a button, and Spidey will automatically go towards the location you're looking at. I mainly used it for flying. By aiming at the top of radio towers, and remaining high above the city, where there's no buildings to attach a web to, Spidey can essentially web rush from building to building, with nothing to attach to and never hitting the ground.

The voice for Spidey in this one is a LOT better than Andrew Garfield and the one in Web of Shadows. This guy sounds like Spidey. While the story and gameplay's only decent, there are some interesting story beats and the combat, rip off as it is of Arkham City, can still be entertaining. But beware: This game spoils all of the Amazing Spider-man movie in the first three missions. Everything important that happens in that movie is laid out and rubbed in your face from the word go. So keep that in mind if you choose to get this.

Of the two, I'd definitely recommend Web of Shadows. Edge of Time and Shattered Dimensions are only barely worth a rental, rather than a purchase.

Thanks for the tips an the well thought out response!

@Strider92 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt: Exactly why I play it mute with sub-titles or music playing over it!

Yeah but then you miss out on Steve Blum's amazing Wolverine voice-over.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I think I'm going to get Web of Shadows if I can track it down but if I can't I'll go with Amazing Spider-Man. The only problem that I saw with Amazing Spider-Man was that I really disliked the costume from the movie, but I did some research and it looks like you can get alternate costumes based on the comics pretty easily.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Strider1992

@JakeN7 said:

@Strider92 said:

Yeah but then you miss out on Steve Blum's amazing Wolverine voice-over.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I think I'm going to get Web of Shadows if I can track it down but if I can't I'll go with Amazing Spider-Man. The only problem that I saw with Amazing Spider-Man was that I really disliked the costume from the movie, but I did some research and it looks like you can get alternate costumes based on the comics pretty easily.

Scarlet Spider alternate costume is awesome!

No Caption Provided
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#31  Edited By x_29

Shattered Dimensions

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CF12793

Funny seeing as how I've just been played Edge of Time recently.

I like it, but it could have used a bit more work. For instance, you're thrown into the plot of the game, which makes no sense at certain points. There are A LOT of time limit-based missions and very few boss fights, which is pretty annoying. The voice acting is good, and it's nice to hear the guy from the 90's Spiderman TV show back as Spiderman, even though it isn't PP, nice to hear nonetheless. The one thing that bugs me is that both Spiderman characters hate eachother for no reason, and their constant bickering at eachother gets annoying. There aren't a lot of characters in the game, which sucks. I always look forward to fighting Rhino or Vulture or anybody really. You get some pretty cool abilities, like the hyper-sense and the ability to freeze time. I would think Shattered Dimensions is the better buy, but this is just opinion.

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VeganDiet

Amazing Spider-man > Shattered Dimensions> Web Of Shadows>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Edge of Time.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JakeN7

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank you all for your input and let you guys know that I went with The Amazing Spider-Man for the Xbox 360. It is honestly the best Spider-Man game I've ever played! The exhilaration of swinging around the city and pulling off "amazing" (sorry for that one, couldn't help it) acrobatic moves can't be beat, and the fact that the game is the most recent one to be released gives it that technological edge. The combat system is pretty good but it totally is a complete ripoff of the Arkham games just like some of you mentioned. That isn't a bad thing at all and really fits with Spidey's power set, but having it be so blatant of a copy, you can't help but compare the two, and the Arkham game's combat is better by miles. The voice cast is wonderful and I enjoy hearing some of my favorite voice actors play pivotal characters (Steve Blum as Doc Connors, Nolan North as Smythe, and Fred Tatiascore as Rhino) and Peter sounds like he should. The game is by no means a movie tie-in, which makes me happy because I much prefer the original story and take on the Spider-Man universe. The game is probably my 3rd favorite comic book videogame of all time (1. Batman Arkham Asylum/City 2.Marvel Ultimate Alliance) and I'm really glad you guys suggested it. I was able to find Web of Shadows at a Gamestop in the mall but it was the exact same price as The Amazing Spider-Man was at Best Buy and I had to go with the more recent title even if it meant missing out on a bunch of Marvel Universe characters in awesome cameos (especially Wolverine!) I might try Web of Shadows some other time, but for now I'm having enough fun as it is!

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 47

#35  Edited By TheCannon

@JakeN7: Edge of time was a good game, thought not as good as the other two. So I wouldn't get that.

As for the other two, it depends. Shattered Dimensions gave us four different Spider-Men each with a different style. Though the gameplay is fun at first, it gets kind of boring. Web of Shadows is an extremely fun game. Awesome controls, open world, the decisions between the red and black suit, etc. But it eventually gets old where it's just going around, doing what they tell you, go to the next location, and repeat. The stories are both good, so it depends what you like.

wr3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By wr3h

No love for this game?

:(

Avatar image for death_certificate
    Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wr3h said:

No love for this game?

Ultimate spider-man>>>spider-man 2

The only bad thing about ultimate spider-man is the short campaign

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mewmdude77

I'd go with SD, since it's four different Spideys with four different personalities and different game play. Not to mention regular Spidey is Neil Patrick Harris, and Ultimate is Josh Keaton.

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By JamesKM716

Web of Shadows, although my personal favorite has always been Spider-Man 2

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PunyParker

He set 3 games,and we had to choose one of them.....if we're talking generally Spidey games then of-freaking-cource....

Kidding??....my favourite...ASM,WoS and a whole bunch of bullcrap.....this and SM2 are gorgeous.....i could kill so many hours playing this!!...you could find Baxter B.,Dr.Strage's house,and many other familiar locations from the comic...the best SpiderMan comic addaptation in a game!....(at this time this was my favourite comic book also so....y'know...NERDGASM!!)

@CF12793 said:

Funny seeing as how I've just been played Edge of Time recently.

Me too,accually!...

@Strider92 said:

Scarlet Spider alternate costume is awesome!

No Caption Provided

Isnt it always?!!

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By JakeN7

@wr3h said:

No love for this game?

@PunyParkersaid:

He set 3 games,and we had to choose one of them.....if we're talking generally Spidey games then of-freaking-cource....

Kidding??....my favourite...ASM,WoS and a whole bunch of bullcrap.....this and SM2 are gorgeous.....i could kill so many hours playing this!!...you could find Baxter B.,Dr.Strage's house,and many other familiar locations from the comic...the best SpiderMan comic addaptation in a game!....(at this time this was my favourite comic book also so....y'know...NERDGASM!!)

If you look at my original post it mentions how I love Ultimate Spider-Man. I actually own the limited edition of the game for the PS2 (the comic that comes with it isn't half bad.) Besides, I wanted a Spider-Man game for the current generation anyways.@Death Certificate said:

@wr3h said:

Totally agree! The shortness of the campaign doesn't help the fact that the city in the game is pretty lifeless and not very fun to swing around in. Not to mention that there's like nothing to do post-game.

Avatar image for daltoniospidey94
    DaltonioSpidey94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DaltonioSpidey94

Of those three, I'd go with Shattered Dimensions but Edge of Time was also really good. (I haven't played Web of Shadows) The Amazing Spider-Man game is the best Spidey game ever made though.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JakeN7

@DaltonioSpidey94 said:

Of those three, I'd go with Shattered Dimensions but Edge of Time was also really good. (I haven't played Web of Shadows) The Amazing Spider-Man game is the best Spidey game ever made though.

LOL. That's the one I went with and I agree!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44  Edited By Pyrogram

@JakeN7 said:

@wr3h said:

No love for this game?

@PunyParkersaid:

If you look at my original post it mentions how I love Ultimate Spider-Man. I actually own the limited edition of the game for the PS2 (the comic that comes with it isn't half bad.) Besides, I wanted a Spider-Man game for the current generation anyways.@Death Certificate said:

@wr3h said:

Totally agree! The shortness of the campaign doesn't help the fact that the city in the game is pretty lifeless and not very fun to swing around in. Not to mention that there's like nothing to do post-game.

Spiderman 2 makes ultimate spiderman look like an old fashioned arcade game, Spiderman 2 is the BEST spiderman game to date. period.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PaperDemon

web of shadows.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PunyParker

@Pyrogram: DK...i love em both....just cause i LOVED Ultimate Spiderman comics (with Pete) i think i have a personal winner!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Pyrogram

@PunyParker: Spiderman 2 is my childhood lol

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PunyParker

@Pyrogram: 2004....and 2005(USM) isnt, smart guy?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pyrogram

@PunyParker: that also is, dayum...

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SuperJedi17

I have the same dilemma, but i already have spider-man shattered dimensions.I am actually trying to decide between Web of Shadows and Amazing Spider-Man.I like shattered dimensions and Ultimate Spider-Man,not a big fan of Spider-Man 2 The game,and really feel like playing an open world Spidey game.And I'm Quite a fan of the arkham games

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.