Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17241 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Which Spider-man comics should I read?

valshiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I just started reading the original Amazing Spider-man by Stan Lee, and I like it but it is long and sometimes it can be slow or boring. I will read the entire thing however I would like to read other Spider-man series too. But there are so many. What should I read? What am I able to skip no question? Also is the 90s reboot a legitimate alternative to the original amazing spiderman? Or the 2014 reboot?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There was no 90's or 2014 reboot of Spider-Man. If you're wondering why there are multiple #1 issues its because the series has been relaunched a few times but its all the same continuity. There are so many different Spider-Man titles to read and enjoy, it's going to be really difficult pinpointing which ones

valshiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those aren't reboots? So amazing Spider-man alone has like 1200 issues? That's a lot. Have you read them all?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have read almost all of them, trust me you will love it when you get to the 80's books. I would just go right from the beginning, jumping in now would leave you with a different view of what the character really is.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By silent_bomber

You don't really need to read "Web of Spider-Man" or "Spider-Man" they have a handful of good stories but nothing crucial.

You need to read J.M.Dematteis' run on "Spectacular Spider-Man" and "The Death of Jean Dewolff" arc, those are crucial.

Where Amazing itself is concerned, Spider-Man comics became awful during the mid to late 90s, you can probably jump straight to the Straczynski run from Amazing Spider-Man #363 to be honest. You could also possibly cut out most of the 1970s bar "The Death of Gwen Stacy" if you become really bored, jumping to the Roger Stern's run (I really don't like that Gerry Conway 1970s run at all).

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By silent_bomber

@spider11211 said:

@silent_bomber: Let me clarify early 80's were great.

I Agree, Roger Stern was great, not keen on Denny O'Neil's run though personally.

Marv Wolfman's late 70s run actually has some high points too, but I wouldn't call it crucial.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

valshiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for being super late. Thanks, the replies were helpful. But what about spiderman blue, and untold tales if spiderman? Stuff like that?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By silent_bomber

@valshiv said:

But what about Spider-Man Blue, and Untold tales if Spider-Man? Stuff like that?

They are both worth reading, but maybe not crucial.

Spider-Man Blue is an updated remake of Amazing Spider-Man 43-48 with lots of stuff cut out.

Untold Tales of Spider-Man is done in the style of Lee/Ditko and is made to fit in between the original issues. These issues are cannon but to be honest their events aren't really referenced outside of that comic, they are entertaining enough though.

valshiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valshiv: Depends what kind of character you want your spider-man to be, there are lots of great serious stories, but most people are familiar with him being silly. I notice you mentioned what you were reading is slow and possibly boring. Is it because of the dialogue? Or does the story itself actually bore you

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If I was you I would start at big time and work forward because this is were the current story run starts. or I would try secret wars renew your vows and if you like it read the J michael straczynski spider-man run

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@valshiv said:

Sorry for being super late. Thanks, the replies were helpful. But what about spiderman blue, and untold tales if spiderman? Stuff like that?

You could check this out for some insight on that!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thwipstudios

As for where to start I tend to like to start at the beginning, or you can start with the current run and at the beginning and work your way together.

GhostRider88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Trust me, you want to get into Spider-Man, do not start by reading todays Spider-Man comics. My advice to you would be to read older Spider-Man comics, not old-old but anything from the 80's, 90's to the 2000's. Pick from these series- Amazing Spider-Man and Sensational Spider-Man V.1 & V.2... You will not regret it.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mysticmedivh

@valshiv: If you don't want to go through the multitudes of older issues then you can always read Ultimate Spider-Man.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.