Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17242 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Where Would Marvel Be Without Stan Lee?

TheTimShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheTimShow

Where would Marvel be today without Stan Lee? Would they still be Timely comics? Would they even be in business? Would a "Spider-Man" character still come eventually? With the lack of serious competition, would DC's quality have gone down? What do you think? What would have happened if Lee chose NOT to go into the comics business, or even quit before the creation of his first title: Fantastic Four?

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RedOwl_1

...... Don't have an idea

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By moywar700

Dead.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Duke_Nasty

DC would make Spider-man and he would be invincible and he would web sling through space along planets and have heat vision.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By KainScion

we wouldnt have a lot of awesome characters, teams etc.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#6  Edited By Deadcool

We would probably have different characters in both DC and Marvel, Jack Kirby would have created nost of the characters in the same way and Steve Ditko would have stayed almost anonymous (even more than he is right now).

I don't think that Watchmen and a lot of things would have been created, we would have a whole new universe of comics.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Strider1992

@Duke_Nasty said:

DC would make Spider-man and he would be invincible and he would web sling through space along planets and have heat vision.

probably this lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#8  Edited By Teerack

Super hero comic books wouldn't have caught on for a much longer time, so everything we know would of been completely different.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Night Thrasher

Comics might be dead as we know it. No Marvel, probably no DC, definitely no Image. Comics would probably be movie licensed products to promote the newest blockbusters.

Avatar image for cannotspellmyname
    CannotSpellMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Duke_Nasty said:

This.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oraclefyre

They probably would have a Clockman......

TheAntiReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheAntiReVamp

I'v seen it happen before,Poor universe 789905,Dc comics shut down and and they didn't even get to have the "I'm the Goddamn Batman" Meme.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

...the hell? There's a Bizarro-ReVamp now?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Partially non-existent...most of everything we know of as Marvel nowadays was due to Jack Kirby's creation, not Stan Lee.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@Illuminatus said:

...the hell? There's a Bizarro-ReVamp now?

Kind of late to the party mon ami.

And its impossible to imagine what Marvel would be without Stan Lee, I don't particularly think his actual writing is anything stellar, but in terms of character creation he created the Bulk of Marvel's most popular.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By PaperDemon

chuck norris would shake his head and Sparta would Sparta kick someone out of rage.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VenomousDragon

A better question is were would comics be without stan lee.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I don't think Marvel would be where it is now without Stan Lee

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Nowhere.

Nudeviking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Nudeviking

No "true believers." No "no-prize." No "excelsior!" No "Make Mine Marvel!" No thanks.

You can argue about how many characters he actually created or how good/poor his writing was, but no one can deny the dude was charismatic and helped to foster a real sense of community. If you have back issues go and read the letter/editor pages in 1960s/1970s DC books and 1960s/1970s Marvel books and see the difference that Stan Lee makes.

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mewmdude77

Comic books would have died by the 70's or 80's, due to being so boring, and the same. Stan Lee changed the superhero genre, making superheroes relatable, and with emotions. Before, superheroes were paragons of invincibility, and were all goody goody, and they never lost, they always got the girl, and they never had personal tragedy. Stan Lee's heroes, starting with the Fantastic Four changed all that. The Fantastic Four argued with each other, plus the Thing was a monster, while being a hero, which had never happened before. Next was the Hulk, a monster who had to run from the government, but still tried to do good. Then Spider-Man came along. He was the first teenaged superhero. All other teens had only been sidekicks at that point. Spider-Man also lost initial battles, unlike most heroes. I could keep going on forever with how Stan Lee changed things, but I think I've made my point

DH1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DH1986

My understanding was that Marvel was essentially ready to close when Lee and Kirby created the Fantastic 4. They saved the company, was Lee the best writer in the world? No, but the man had a huge part in the development of Thor, Spider-Man, Hulk, X-men, and just about every 1960s Marvel hero and villain. He also created a culture that promoted new ideas, and in many ways revived the super hero comic book. I don't think Marvel would be here today without Stan Lee and his band of merry men (Ditko,Kirby, Romita) and a few others. The whole industry would be different.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By renamed040924

Superhero's as a whole wouldn't even be thought of as anything today. Whether you like his actual writing or not, his stories were the base for what we have today.

@mewmdude77 said:

Comic books would have died by the 70's or 80's, due to being so boring, and the same. Stan Lee changed the superhero genre, making superheroes relatable, and with emotions. Before, superheroes were paragons of invincibility, and were all goody goody, and they never lost, they always got the girl, and they never had personal tragedy. Stan Lee's heroes, starting with the Fantastic Four changed all that. The Fantastic Four argued with each other, plus the Thing was a monster, while being a hero, which had never happened before. Next was the Hulk, a monster who had to run from the government, but still tried to do good. Then Spider-Man came along. He was the first teenaged superhero. All other teens had only been sidekicks at that point. Spider-Man also lost initial battles, unlike most heroes. I could keep going on forever with how Stan Lee changed things, but I think I've made my point

This post puts it nicely.

Also, there would be no Comicvine =O

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By kidchipotle

Without Stan Lee, We'd have a lot less cameo appearances in Marvel movies.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.