Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

When will they come out with another great Spidey game?

spiderfan2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By spiderfan2099

I thought Shattered Dimensions was pretty good but nothing spectacular and I haven't played Edge of Time so i may be missing out i dunno. Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 were phenomenal and Web of Shadows was half decent. I'm not much of a gamer at all, i pretty much only have Spider-Man games cause i'm a mega nerd

Here's the trailer for the upcoming game if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU5Ghx3TaeE

looks like they're bringing free roam back

What do you guys think?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

don't hold your breath

0xymoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 0xymoron

Spider-Man game's haven't been good since Spider-Man 2.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Most Spider-Man games are the same thing over and over. There is really nothing any company can do to make Spider-Man games any better. Unless maybe they get some multiplayer in there or something. They are always going to be swinging around the city and doing missions that progress the story. That's it. They had a good format when they did Spider-Man too but they've really stretched it as far as it can go. If they are going to do street leveler games I would suggest the Punisher,Daredevil,or Wolverine because there is alot more that can be done with them in games.I have ever Spider-Man game since Spider-Man 2. I loved them.Other people didn't.I personally am fine with the same gameplay over and over as long as it was good from the start but at this point I think they've done all they can really do with Spider-Man right now. I don't think technology is where it needs to be to really capture BEING Spider-Man.

spiderfan2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spiderfan2099

@Vance Astro: i agree to a certain point, i still think developers are capable of making a pretty good spider-man game right now. all of the recent spidey games have had elements of excellence but fell short in other aspects; spider-man 2 was ridiculously fun to swing around, the swinging mechanics were awesome but the lack of variety in random crimes made earning hero points really dull. ultimate spider-man was super fun too but the story was too short and the combat and swinging was dumbed down a bit. and web of shadows had pretty fun web swinging and some really cool acrobatics in combat but having to "web-strike" like 50 times in a row wasn't all that fun and the voice acting was laughably horrid.

but wolverine needs another game for sure, x-men origins was a pretty fun game. they NEED to make a good supes game how can a character so badass have such terrible video game adaptations...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @spiderfan2099 said:

@Vance Astro: i agree to a certain point, i still think developers are capable of making a pretty good spider-man game right now. all of the recent spidey games have had elements of excellence but fell short in other aspects; spider-man 2 was ridiculously fun to swing around, the swinging mechanics were awesome but the lack of variety in random crimes made earning hero points really dull. ultimate spider-man was super fun too but the story was too short and the combat and swinging was dumbed down a bit. and web of shadows had pretty fun web swinging and some really cool acrobatics in combat but having to "web-strike" like 50 times in a row wasn't all that fun and the voice acting was laughably horrid.

but wolverine needs another game for sure, x-men origins was a pretty fun game. they NEED to make a good supes game how can a character so badass have such terrible video game adaptations...

I would love and Wolverine game that actually allows you to battle his villains..and not their movie versions.
    Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MetropolisKid41

Spider-Man Classics on the original Playstation FTW!!!

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BatteredArmor

What? you want an honest answer? really? you think you can handle it? *sigh* Okay pal have it your way.....never the answer is never.

But spiderman 2 yes man yes that was epic that was like in the top 5 games i've ever played that was arkham series good for gods sake. Web of shadows was good too but i only played 2 levels before i had to return it i should have bought that instead of rented.....i still think what could have been.

i neever think about what will be because what will be is terrible in both games and movies

spiderfan2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spiderfan2099

gah! until i can engineer a genetically altered spider to bite me and infuse my deoxyribonucleic acid with spider-like attributes i demand a video game that gives me complete and utter freedom with spider-man and i will play each and every one until they're up to par... i love spider-man too much

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@spiderfan2099 said:

gah! until i can engineer a genetically altered spider to bite me and infuse my deoxyribonucleic acid with spider-like attributes i demand a video game that gives me complete and utter freedom with spider-man and i will play each and every one until they're up to par... i love spider-man too much

....Good luck with that...

spiderfan2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By spiderfan2099

@BlackArmor: sad thing is it's probably equal odds between the two... nooooo chance

venomyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By venomyak

some people might kill me for saying this but,......I think they should make a clone saga video game beenox seems to love the multiple spidey thing so why not have pete, ben, and kaine maybe spider-cide

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Uncanny_Doom

Never, because Activision handles the games and has been running the same minimal change scam that they did with Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, and Call of Duty. Good Spider-Man games aren't out of the question. Shattered Dimensions was honestly and surprisingly good. But a great one? It's going to take a more ambitious publisher or at least a lucky pick on the developing studio for us to have anything of real substance.

Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joesoef95

Free roam is all I ask. The new games seems awesome

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought shattered dimensions was great and edge of time was ok, I have high hopes for this game.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By laflux

@BlackArmor: i really think arkam asylum and arkam city are overrrated

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

@laflux said:

@BlackArmor: i really think arkam asylum and arkam city are overrrated

i agree on Arkham City...

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BatteredArmor

@laflux said:

@BlackArmor: i really think arkam asylum and arkam city are overrated

Eh..depends on what you mean by overrated if you mean bad or below average then I'm inclined to strongly disagree if you mean that people act as if its the greatest video game series of all time then you are for the most part right. I personally believe that the only competition that AC has for greatest comic based video game ever is Spierman 2 but that's just me if you disagree I would like to here witch games you thought were better

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By spidey 15

Man...i feel terrible. I never really got the chance to buy spider-man 2 and there was not a single time that i saw someone talking about it and saying at the very least that it was bad. Everyone is saying that is such a great game( i mean, wtf? is even comparing it to AC) and i feel bad that i've never got the chance to play it...:(

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By SpidermanWins

If we are lucky it will be this year. Amazing Spider-Man might be good. I just hope he fights more than robots. What they need is a freeroam environment, all abilities a spider should have with easy access, a streamlined, non-repetitive combat system that includes web attacks and intelligent gameplay, and I'll be fine.

@laflux: Perhaps, City was a little overhyped for it's own good but I don't think it's that overrated. Haven't played asylum so I can't speak for it. You have to be in the mood to play Arkham City... or at least it's that way for me. It's still a great game in my opinion but I guess it depends on your perspective. I just get frustrated with the Riddler trophies and some of the puzzles.

@spidey 15: I've never played it either, also haven't played Ultimate Spider-Man which I hear was good and apparently you could play as Venom. The problem (for me at least) is that those games are hard to find in stores nowadays, you got to buy it online. I also don't think I have a system I could play either on anyway and I'm not a PC gamer so... but it's as good as Assasin's Creed? I never heard that one.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spidey 15

@SpidermanWins: Heh, there are several games of spider-man that i never get the chance to play( mainly are PS2 games ), but i'm glad i had the chance to play his first 2 games in ps1. We're on the same boat man.... i'm not much of a PC gamer at all either, and i've stopped playing games on ps2 so i have no way to play on of his old ps2 games... Also, when i said AC, i meant Arkham City... it's my fault, i accidently skipped Batman's name so i understand how you got confused...:)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CapFanboy

It'd be brilliant to have an RPG storyline thing with a great open-world for you to explore as both Peter and Spider-man.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SpidermanWins

@spidey 15 said:

@SpidermanWins: Heh, there are several games of spider-man that i never get the chance to play( mainly are PS2 games ), but i'm glad i had the chance to play his first 2 games in ps1. We're on the same boat man.... i'm not much of a PC gamer at all either, and i've stopped playing games on ps2 so i have no way to play on of his old ps2 games... Also, when i said AC, i meant Arkham City... it's my fault, i accidently skipped Batman's name so i understand how you got confused...:)

Same i couldn't get the ps2 games either but I managed to get middle to all the way through the spider-man movie game from a friends ps2. It was alright but webslinging from clouds seemed odd and the webslinging in general felt to unstreamlined and laggy. Too many button combos too. Same here. Yeah luckily I got to play the game "Spider-Man" with Monster Ock and whatnot on ps1. Oh.... lol, still, that's pretty high praise but I've heard been called the Arkham City of Spidey games too. I need to find a way to play it sometime. That's alright.

Amanthine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Amanthine

I don't think there's ever been a great Spider-Man game. I stopped playing them after they removed free-roam web slinging.

@CapFanboy said:

It'd be brilliant to have an RPG storyline thing with a great open-world for you to explore as both Peter and Spider-man.

It wouldn't even have to be an RPG, really. Just a free-roam action game. If anyone has ever played Prototype, that formula would be absolutely perfect for a Spider-Man game. Hopefully with better PC controls, though.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By Strider1992

@Amanthine: In my opinion Web Of Shadows was just a poorly executed version of Prototype. They really are quite similar.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By spidey 15

@SpidermanWins said:

@spidey 15 said:

Same i couldn't get the ps2 games either but I managed to get middle to all the way through the spider-man movie game from a friends ps2. It was alright but webslinging from clouds seemed odd and the webslinging in general felt to unstreamlined and laggy. Too many button combos too. Same here. Yeah luckily I got to play the game "Spider-Man" with Monster Ock and whatnot on ps1. Oh.... lol, still, that's pretty high praise but I've heard been called the Arkham City of Spidey games too. I need to find a way to play it sometime. That's alright.

Oh i see. Well, even though it sounds odd, it also sounds pretty fun to webslinging from clouds...lol

I agree, it seems pretty high praise, but it was someone's opinion. And also we are talking about a game of ps2. If it was remade for ps3, then you never know,,, maybe it would be awesome enough to reach the success of AC...:P

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kadosho_16bit

Like another series, it has had a difficult time defining itself. From storytelling, to action sequences. There are ideas somewhere, its just needed to find a focal point making them work. I honestly feel that Shattered Dimensions wanted to take the webslinger in a different direction. Edge of Time is meant to finish the "timeline" saga. What's next is Amazing, with the same team but many fans from another forum are having mixed emotions as well. I really do hope that whatever comes next for this series in videogame form, is something worthwhile that fans all can agree on.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpidermanWins

@spidey 15 said:

@SpidermanWins said:

@spidey 15 said:

Oh i see. Well, even though it sounds odd, it also sounds pretty fun to webslinging from clouds...lol

I agree, it seems pretty high praise, but it was someone's opinion. And also we are talking about a game of ps2. If it was remade for ps3, then you never know,,, maybe it would be awesome enough to reach the success of AC...:P

Yeah that was the Spider-Man 1 game. Spider-Man 2 one was was way better though the way people make it out to be. Yeah they should definitely remake it on PS3 or Xbox 360. That could be real awesome and even better than the original. I can only hope that will happen. For now I can only hope ASM the video game will be the game we are waiting for.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spidey 15

@SpidermanWins: I agree with you as well. Even though i've lost interest on movie based games, knowing that ASM is supposed to take place after the events of the movie, it might be interesting enough and might check it as well.

:)

Amanthine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Amanthine

I didn't know that, I don't care AT ALL for movie tie-in games. They're just money grabs that butcher the events of the film, which themselves may not even be that good.

If it takes place after that's indication that at least someone wants to create something even a little bit unique, so I might take a look.

Tigerstriper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Tigerstriper

There's been a handful of Spidey games I've liked over the years.

Maximum Carnage was great. It had a memorable storyline that was pretty faithful to the comics. A kickin soundtrack from Green Jelly, a good roster of supporting characters, and it was challening without being too hard. Being able to play as either Spidey or Venom was a nice touch too. The only real problem with it was not having a two player option.

Web of Shadows was ok, but I felt that as usual when a game comes out for different systems, Wii owners get the shaft, as usual. (Don't give me any of that "it's a less powerful system" static, Wii games can look great if the developers put enough effort into it. But that's a rant for another time.)

Shattered Dimensions was the best Spider-Man game overall. Being able to play four different Spideys in four time periods, with unlockable suits for each character, there was a chance for almost everyone to play their favorite version of the wallcrawler. Bringing back voice actors from previous Spider-Man cartoons was great for longtime fans too. And did I mention it was great to have Stan Lee narrating again? It puzzles me that Beenox/Activision didn't score another hit with Edge of Time.

Here's what I want in the next Spider-Man game.

1) Bring on the bad guys! Spider-Man has probably the best cast of enemies in comics, (it's a toss up between him and Batman). Show them off.

2) Alternate costumes with different powers. This is something that I love seeing in video games. Even if they don't have a Spideys from different universes, at least give us lots of the cool Spider-Man costumes he's used. And being able to customize the powers and abilities from each one adds to replay value.

3) Cameos by other heroes. Spidey has lots of friends in the Marvel U, it never hurts to have a few show up to lend a hand, or at least show up in a cutscene or two.

4) Stan Lee. I always love hearing Stan do narrating, and bringing him in to do voice overs for games is as cool as his movie cameos. It's always nice to see them include things like this for fans who have been around for a while.

'Nuff Said!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Vance Astro said:

Most Spider-Man games are the same thing over and over. There is really nothing any company can do to make Spider-Man games any better. Unless maybe they get some multiplayer in there or something. They are always going to be swinging around the city and doing missions that progress the story. That's it. They had a good format when they did Spider-Man too but they've really stretched it as far as it can go. If they are going to do street leveler games I would suggest the Punisher,Daredevil,or Wolverine because there is alot more that can be done with them in games.I have ever Spider-Man game since Spider-Man 2. I loved them.Other people didn't.I personally am fine with the same gameplay over and over as long as it was good from the start but at this point I think they've done all they can really do with Spider-Man right now. I don't think technology is where it needs to be to really capture BEING Spider-Man.

Spiderman was at his peak in the gaming industry when Spiderman 2 released. Since then, it has gone downhill since but Shattered Dimensions was a decent breath of fresh air. I'd much rather see a good sequel to 2004's The Punisher which was surprisingly engaging and X-Men Origins: Wolverine was a pretty good game that captured his gruesome nature to a good degree, but it was limited to the movie license.

Not expecting anything good out of The Amazing Spiderman but Beenox is developing it and they did a solid job with Ultimate Spiderman a few years back so they aren't in-experienced with open world games.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.