Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17252 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

When Did Peter Parker Become Uncool

the3rdborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the3rdborn

With Peter Parker dead(for good) in the Ultimate universe and replaced by Miles Morales,Now the same is about to happen to mainstream Peter Parker with Superior Spidermanme.So it got me thinking when did peter parker become uncool? I miss 1610 Peter and i dont want 616 to go either

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By InfinityAce

Your title is misleading...Any who he's not uncool it's just...I can't explain it right now. Peter hopefully won't die or give up his mantle.

spideyfan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spideyfan69

I thought him being uncool, was what made him cool. lol :)

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By InfinityAce

@the3rdborn: Pete is one of the coolest character there is. Also they are killing all versions of him because...I can't answer that one.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SUNMAN

to most people probably never. I'd say my opinion of him lessened after the whole deal with the devil and Bendis using him simply as comic relief for a number of years

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tupiaz

@ InfinityAce. Peter has always been a nerd and uncool it is a part of how he is. Cleary this was what spideyfan69 was referring to. I think many people lost interest in him after the deal with Mephisto. Haven’t read it an don’t have any plans in doing so. It seemed forced, non Spider-Manish and just a stupid way to change a lot of things that didn’t seem need to be changed.

Clone of me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clone of me

I happen to agree with him being an uncool guy is why everyone loves Mr.Parker because anyone can relate to him on a every basis. What has made him truly UNCOOL IS HIS DEAL with Mepihsto and the person mainly responsible for such a lame brain idea Joe Queasda for thinking for one thing Hey if I can make Peter Parker be a jerk more readers will come? and number two of Joe's thought process (I'm thinking I maybe really wrong in the biggest way, our "S-Man" better than the competition) Listen up Marvel the reason fans adore your characters and not just Peter Parker is you write them as everyday people on both sides of the said character's persona the second you change it by changing your flagship character's way of relating to every you've loss the game!

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#8  Edited By Deadcool

@SUNMAN said:

I'd say my opinion of him*

... Well... he is a comicbook character controled by the writers, you can't blame him for that, because he doesn't exist...

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By thespideyguy

Somebody get he can fix this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Strider1992

@thespideyguy said:

Somebody get he can fix this.

I will do my best!

Peter hasn't become uncool he's had the misfortune to fall upon some very bad stories back at the start of BND and pre-BND. Dan Slott while not a writer everyone likes hasn't actually written a bad story per-say but he has prevented the character from evolving anything beyond a man-child (which is my only gripe with him). Dan Slott is a good writer and has done his very best to shake up things in his stories. I for one am thinking that he might let Spider-man evolve with Superior. Make him slightly less naive and a bit more competent.

So to answer your question Peter never became uncool. Just a little stale because no-one wanted to take risks. That may be different now.

Rabidwolfdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rabidwolfdog

I think its the movies fault, and I mean all of them. You look at Batman and you know hes bad ass. Spider-man in the movie hes kinda just like the kid who was mildly cool in school and so smart that he didn't need to do homework to prepare for the test. That wasn't Parker, he was glued to the books, lighting struck the fact he got MJ then Hollywood messes that all up.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tupiaz

The first movie got that Peter is a nerd the new one not so much. Peter Parker on a Skateboard before he became Spider-man? Give me a break.

Crackdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Crackdown

@tupiaz said:

The first movie got that Peter is a nerd the new one not so much. Peter Parker on a Skateboard before he became Spider-man? Give me a break.

not really. the first films made him appear intelligent bookwise. but bookwise doesn't make you a nerd.

whats wrong with skateboarding, how is that not nerdy

mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By mewmdude77

@Crackdown said:

@tupiaz said:

not really. the first films made him appear intelligent bookwise. but bookwise doesn't make you a nerd.

nerds don't usually skateboard. punks and skaters skateboard. nerds are not always the most coordinated, and they usually do other extra-curicular activities.

InfinityAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InfinityAce

@mewmdude77 said:

@Crackdown said:

@tupiaz said:

nerds don't usually skateboard. punks and skaters skateboard. nerds are not always the most coordinated, and they usually do other extra-curicular activities.

He skated a little so he's not nerdy now? Stop over reacting just because skating isn't in the nerd stereotype doesn't mean he didn't do anything that isn't in the nerd stereotype.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tupiaz

The point is that Peter before he became Spider-Man was clumsy and unathletic. He stayed this way on porpose to hide he was Spider-Man. Peter Parker being athletic is against the mythos.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By TheCrowbar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdC3DVZAIl0

Right here.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

Yes... yes that's it.

Marvel is moving on because he's uncool.

Yes.

That's also right before they take your lunch money and call you a wimp.

The Toon Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Toon Man

Think some of you guys are getting a little off-track.

But hey, if anyone's loosing interest in Spider-man, the writers for his more lousy arcs are the only people we can blame. If you're writing a character (especially one that's been around and really popular) you got to take in to consderation how to do good character development without going overboard or making the character do a complete 360. Basically writers need to sit down, think of how the story goes, and ask themselves if the character would really do this or that. Spider-man isn't the only character who has been a victim of this but he is one of the more current examples.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.